What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by BeefyG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:39 pm

AnungUnRama wrote:
joegoat wrote:Y'all are speaking swahili. I can turn a computer on and off. I am fluent in the programs I need for work and I can do the bare minimum with my smart phone. Beyond that, nada. I'm glad we have folks like you that understand those machines though.
I patched the hole in the shed roof today and that project just kept getting bigger. When I crawled up on the roof it was covered in leaves, sticks, and the limbs that fell down and poked the hole. I swept that off and onto the ground, adding to the already massive pile of leaves and sticks.
I didn't have any roofing nails with rubber gaskets so I cut the tin for the patch. The corrugation isn't a perfect match, but I had a scrap piece that was the perfect size. I got it slid into place and began the massive cleanup around the shed. The 1947 Farmall Cub got her first spring workout and pulled two heaping wagon loads up to the burn pile.
I then pulled everything out, cleaned the interior and reorganized everything for a better fit. The 17 foot canoe was the biggest issue before. It now hangs on the wall. I ran to the hardware store only once today for the nails which I put in before calling it a day. Driving nails is a nice way to end a day of work.
I even got the shed door to close all the way!
This building is on its last leg. It was built over 80 years ago as a open air vacation cabin. I plan to replace it, but I need to limp it along until the cost of building materials is reasonable again.ImageImageImageImage

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.
$34+ for a sheet of OSB is highway robbery. A guy who works at a local hardware store said they can't get the resin used to manufacture the stuff. It is almost more cost effective just to get plywood. I can get a nice 3/4 piece of sanded plywood for about the same price as that crappy OSB!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 pm

Fired up the home computer to find one of the kids downloaded a virus. Took care of that and downloaded Mint and Universal USB installer. Loaded the ISO on the drive and headed up to church with the keyboard and mouse that came in. The HDMI cord was missing at church. I remembered bringing it home so it wouldn’t get lost. I come home. Not at home. Not in the truck. Not in my car. Back to church to check again. Absolutely not there. Decided to sort some more books until I hear what sounds like someone trying to open the front door. Remember the church is built on an Indian burial ground. Check watch. It’s 10:30PM. Back to home. Check the garage. Check the bathroom. Check the closet where I find the HDMI cable I put in there for safekeeping. Maybe tomorrow I will find out if the flash drive works.

424cat
Usher
Usher

Post by 424cat » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:43 am

Sorry to say I'm working on a bad attitude right now. It will pass.
on bended knee

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:34 pm

BeefyG wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 pm
Fired up the home computer to find one of the kids downloaded a virus. Took care of that and downloaded Mint and Universal USB installer. Loaded the ISO on the drive and headed up to church with the keyboard and mouse that came in. The HDMI cord was missing at church. I remembered bringing it home so it wouldn’t get lost. I come home. Not at home. Not in the truck. Not in my car. Back to church to check again. Absolutely not there. Decided to sort some more books until I hear what sounds like someone trying to open the front door. Remember the church is built on an Indian burial ground. Check watch. It’s 10:30PM. Back to home. Check the garage. Check the bathroom. Check the closet where I find the HDMI cable I put in there for safekeeping. Maybe tomorrow I will find out if the flash drive works.
I can relate.
There are many terrible attributes of the lowly cob. Not the least of them is that it makes you look like a doof.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 am

There was a wall where this door is now. It was a fire rated door and I hated hanging it. Just feel like I need to state that publicly...

Had to make these boxes for the AED and trauma kits to be mounted to the wall...
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Nice!

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:43 pm

Organizing a bunch of stuff to donate to Habitat for Humanity so I can free some room in my garage for fun stuff, like working on old cars and wood working. :chili:
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

BeefyG
Elder
Elder

Post by BeefyG » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:00 am

I got the computer at church working and then moved it under the table and tidied up the wires. I turned it on and could not get it to connect to the network. I fiddled with the settings till I finally looked down and realized I had positioned it where the wifi adapter was behind the metal table leg. I scooted it over and all is well.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:27 pm

I'm getting this 1962 Gravely LI back in action. The seller found it in the shed when they bought the house. The price was very right for such a clean machine. It really looks well taken care of under all the dust.Image

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

FredS
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking
Patron Saint of Pipe Smoking

Post by FredS » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 pm

Are Gravely's some sort of regionally popular tractor? I don't think I've ever heard of them and you seem to be stumbling over them every time you turn around.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm

FredS wrote:Are Gravely's some sort of regionally popular tractor? I don't think I've ever heard of them and you seem to be stumbling over them every time you turn around.
They were built in West Virginia. I don't know how far west they made it. It would be interesting to look into though. The walk behind models were made for 60 years in several different configurations so I'm sure a few made it out your way though most do seem concentrated in the eastern states. I grew up using one on our farm so there is a big of nostalgia involved.
They aren't easy to find, but I keep an eye out for them on the online classifieds. I try to get them cheap in non running condition. They're so simple, as long as they have compression and can be spun over by hand you can get them running in a few hours.
I have yet to find a deal on one of the later Kohler powered models though.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:58 pm

joegoat wrote:I'm getting this 1962 Gravely LI back in action. The seller found it in the shed when they bought the house. The price was very right for such a clean machine. It really looks well taken care of under all the dust.Image

I like to go through these things, check for issues, make sure there are no impending failures, and replace anything needed to make it a reliable machine. I scraped a great deal of the caked on dirt and grease off the transmission and cylinder cooling fins. The oil bath air cleaner has been thoroughly cleaned. The head was taken off and the carbon buildup has been removed. Valve lash has been set. Magneto timing has been set. The fan belt, spark plug, spark plugs wire, and muffler are replaced. Multiple moving parts have been cleaned and lubed. Time to call it a day.
Tomorrow the carburetor needs rebuilt, the sediment bowl needs cleaning and new seals the oil needs replaced and hopefully the new tubes and tires get delivered so I can take it off blocks.
This is a very well maintained tractor.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:44 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 pm
Are Gravely's some sort of regionally popular tractor? I don't think I've ever heard of them and you seem to be stumbling over them every time you turn around.
Was wondering that myself. I’m 5th generation farm country kid and I’ve never heard of them until this thread. Things are pretty much green or red around here (though not exclusively of course).
Sola Deo Gloria

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:03 pm

I found two old planes in the garage to restore. Not those kinds of planes(my garage isn't that big,) but a Stanley Bailey #5 Jack plane and an mystery #4 size smoothing plane only marked "Made in USA"
I don't know who they belonged to (Dad, Grandfather, Uncle Al?)
They'll be a welcome additions to my woodworking shop.
There's plenty of You tubes on restoring planes.
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:06 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:44 pm
FredS wrote:
Was wondering that myself. I’m 5th generation farm country kid and I’ve never heard of them until this thread. Things are pretty much green or red around here (though not exclusively of course).
This blows my mind. Gravely is a name pretty much every guy even remotely "country" from my neck of the wood knows. I figured it would be that way across the U.S. If you guys can ever get you hands on a decent 500 series, just do it.

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:22 pm

Last night I was working on the big fella. Trying to get him ready to slab some lumber.

Tonight I was working on my planer. Took me forever to figure out why everything seemed to be turning as it should (all the gears and sprockets turning properly) but the feed rollers wouldn't turn. Finally called my cousin and explained it all to him and he said, "Sounds like the keys in the keyhole sheered off." As he said it, my face was about a foot from it and sure as crap, they were sheered off.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 pm

JMG wrote:Last night I was working on the big fella. Trying to get him ready to slab some lumber.

Tonight I was working on my planer. Took me forever to figure out why everything seemed to be turning as it should (all the gears and sprockets turning properly) but the feed rollers wouldn't turn. Finally called my cousin and explained it all to him and he said, "Sounds like the keys in the keyhole sheered off." As he said it, my face was about a foot from it and sure as crap, they were sheered off.

Big fella looks like a nice saw. How big is the bar on that beast?

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:37 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 pm
JMG wrote:Last night I was working on the big fella. Trying to get him ready to slab some lumber.

That one is just a 28". I'll put the 36" on it soon to slab the Red Oak that I fell last summer.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:51 pm

JMG wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:44 pm
FredS wrote:
This blows my mind. Gravely is a name pretty much every guy even remotely "country" from my neck of the wood knows. I figured it would be that way across the U.S. If you guys can ever get you hands on a decent 500 series, just do it.
500 and 5000 series are later model Kohler powered units. I like the old Gravely T head tractors as working collectors pieces. The later tractors were absolutely excellent units as well, but they lack the vintage equipment look of the L and C models.
The newer 500 and 5000 series walk behind tractors command well north of $1,000 in my neck of the woods. They typically are in good shape and have a three blade mower deck and a sulkie. They're much better for large yards than the 30 inch brush hog designed for the the L models. Gravely also made some rear engine riding tractors. I find them ugly though.
A Gravely walk behind was something like $8,000 when they were finally discontinued in the early 2000's. That kind of quality was just too expensive to produce.

joegoat
Has a very cute butt
Has a very cute butt

Post by joegoat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 am

JMG wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:29 pm

That one is just a 28". I'll put the 36" on it soon to slab the Red Oak that I fell last summer.
Nice!