What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Re: What Are You Working On?

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:43 pm

‘86 Dodge P/U. I guess that I’ve had it for 20 years or so. From day one it never ran like it should. Was driving it home from work 5 years ago, it was a very cold night, had a hard time keeping it running. Figured a squirrel probably chewed a vacuum line in two. Anyway had to keep it revved up pretty high or it would quit running. Got about a mile from home and it died. Finally got it restarted and threw the belt off in the process that turns the water pump. Drove it anyway as it was too cold and too far to walk. It got pretty hot and figured the motor was cooked. Parked it until a couple of days ago. Thought I would try to get it to run good enough to dump it at the auction but I had my doubts. Took the battery out of the Ranger, sprayed some starting fluid down the hatch, turned the key and it hit. Far out. Primed the carb and it ran. Actually ran pretty good. Took the fuel line off the carb to see it was pumping any gas and how bad said gas as it was 5 years old. Nothing. Put a new fuel pump, filter, and V belts on and it run better that it has since it bought it. I’m guessing the old fuel pump was never up to par. Drove it around the place and everything seems good except the brakes, they are a little soft. Think there is a hose leaking, much easier fix than froze calipers or shoes. Don’t want to dump it at the auction now. Never hurts to have a spare 4x4 when you live in the sticks as I do.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:54 am

I'm having installed this month a 16kW on demand, whole house natural gas generator for two reasons. Sometimes violent Monsoon storms take out power poles north of here and we have been without power sometimes for days. Also, one never knows about what could happen to our power grid and the flow of natural gas is more reliable.

This is really a great unit. My neighbor has one and seeing is believing. No more need for extension cords or gasoline. It's going to be permanently installed on a concrete pad in my side yard w/ a 200 amp service disconnect transfer switch......

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:16 pm

I have another porcelain English setter figurine on the way that I'm planning to make into another pointing dog pipe rack.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm

Working on a lantern. Why are there always extra parts after I put it back together?

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm
Working on a lantern. Why are there always extra parts after I put it back together?

ONE WORD:
Cellphone pictures will help prevent this.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:23 am

Took a month longer for them to get to this but the electrician and his clan have finally got here and have been making progress on installing an on demand, whole house natural gas 16kW standby generator in my side yard.

Electric and gas conduit has been trenched and buried, concrete slab has been poured, the 450 pound unit placed, and the primed and painted steel pipe has been run from the meter over to join the underground conduit. Its now just a matter of attaching the transfer switch box alongside the breaker box, and making all the connections. Should be operational on Monday or Tuesday.

I then have to call SouthWest Gas to change out the meter for a larger flow one. I'll post more pictures when its all done. Its about 46 inches long, and about 32 inches wide. They'll be little if any fumes, as it uses clean burning natural gas.

Last edited by Goose55 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 am

Strategy.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am

Reassembling my 'mobile office' back at the office in Kansas City. There's always a glitch when I move my 'mobile office' computers. Somehow a HDMI cable got bent and fritzed out. I carry a spare so all my monitors are back up. I'm only going to be here a few days so I didn't bring my external speakers and now I can't get the internal one in my tablet to work. It's driving me nuts. All I hear are the big rigs out on the highway. I need better background noise. #firstworldproblems
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:14 am

If you call me I can sing...would that help?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:17 am

I imagine the sounds of the freeway are better.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:38 am

Have you been talking to my grand kids? Otherwise how would you know that? 8)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:12 pm

I am paying bills and property taxes.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Started the day by replacing several breakers in the panel. It did not fix the problem. Some frustrating troubleshooting followed with no solution. Tried to do some other chores and they all ended badly, too.

But then I started a pipe refurb on an old Grabow Viking. I wish I had taken before photos because this thing was a mess. It was horribly caked up and the rim was tar black. The stem was corroded badly and I couldn't get a pipe cleaner through it. I almost threw it away. So, I borrowed some Dawn from Goose and soaked the stem all afternoon. While the soapy water worked its magic I reamed, sanded, and refinished the bowl. A little scrubbing, buffing, and a dozen pipe cleaners later, it looks pretty good. I haven't smoked it, yet, but it feels good and the draw is nice and open. There is hope.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:56 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:55 pm
Started the day by replacing several breakers in the panel. It did not fix the problem. Some frustrating troubleshooting followed with no solution. Tried to do some other chores and they all ended badly, too.

But then I started a pipe refurb on an old Grabow Viking. I wish I had taken before photos because this thing was a mess. It was horribly caked up and the rim was tar black. The stem was corroded badly and I couldn't get a pipe cleaner through it. I almost threw it away. So, I borrowed some Dawn from Goose and soaked the stem all afternoon. While the soapy water worked its magic I reamed, sanded, and refinished the bowl. A little scrubbing, buffing, and a dozen pipe cleaners later, it looks pretty good. I haven't smoked it, yet, but it feels good and the draw is nice and open. There is hope.
Ecstatic to hear the Dawn worked its magic!

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:56 pm
JimVH wrote:

I'm telling you, it really did loosen up the gunk. I just wish I'd had some of that Arizona sun to bath it in.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:20 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm

I rarely put something back together without parts left over.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:36 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:03 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:56 pm
JimVH wrote:

I'm telling you, it really did loosen up the gunk. I just wish I'd had some of that Arizona sun to bath it in.
That looks good enough to smoke.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Here's a quite complicated project I just completed.
I'll break it down into steps. Try to follow along:

1) Take the tin your wife's Christmas present from your granddaughters' came in.
2) Stick some furry foam in it with double stick tape.

It's worth all the time and effort, believe me, to have another fly box.

If you are truly fortunate, you'll have one of FredS's pipes to photograph it with.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:52 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:24 pm
Here's a quite complicated project I just completed.
I'll break it down into steps. Try to follow along:

1) Take the tin your wife's Christmas present from your granddaughters' came in.
2) Stick some furry foam in it with double stick tape.

It's worth all the time and effort, believe me, to have another fly box.

If you are truly fortunate, you'll have one of FredS's pipes to photograph it with.
Clever!

Is this a new pipe from Fred? It' very nice

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Getting the last of the yard projects completed in the next 2 days.

But, I just don’t feel like trenching tree borders.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound