What Are You Working On?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:54 pm

The other day my son and I replaced the collet barrel bushing with a new solid barrel bushing in my 1911.

This morning I worked erecting the garden fence with my son, cut some birch logs for next years kindling, fixed all the sprinklers on one of the stations(the strip between the sidewalk and the road, watered the lantanas & iris, strung some twine to help support the iris' in the vertical position, weeded amidst the terrier poop & sneezed a lot.
My lovely bride just brought me a cold fountain drink from the local deli/convenience store (they have the good ice :D )
I'm going to get cleaned up and do the Stations of The Cross.

I need to make some contact prints of large format negatves of the Cistercian Chapter House I took (I hope) this evening, and make reservations for an overnighter on the coast.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:16 pm

Spent the day drilling, shimming, and furring. I boxed in one window. This is a rather difficult job. Nothing is level, plumb, or square.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:30 pm

A late dinner.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:00 am

The future missus ID's Dad brought us down a couple dressers. There are soild wood but in rough shape, so I am going to tackle their refurbishment this week.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:32 pm

More shimming and furring. I haven't even built real interior walls yet. :x
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:35 pm

Cleon wrote:Spent the day drilling, shimming, and furring. I boxed in one window. This is a rather difficult job. Nothing is level, plumb, or square.
I hear you Brother, my house is a hundren years old framed with oak.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:44 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Cleon wrote:Spent the day drilling, shimming, and furring. I boxed in one window. This is a rather difficult job. Nothing is level, plumb, or square.
I hear you Brother, my house is a hundren years old framed with oak.
I'm regretting going the furring route on the exterior basement walls. I did it to save a few inches. I should have just built full 2x4 walls right inside the poured concrete walls. I'd probably be done by now.

Jake
Sister of the Briar
Sister of the Briar

Post by Jake » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Spreading tree chips. A couple of weeks ago I stopped and chatted with the guys who were cutting trees out of the power lines, and asked them to please dump the chipped trees at my place. They've brought me three loads so far, and have promised to keep 'em coming! That stuff is a great cover... no more MUD! It helps to keep the weeds down, too.
"It was a bit awkward at first but I soon got to be perfectly at home in men's clothes. " -- Calamity Jane

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 am

Four passive two-way crossovers with l-pads for some satellites

Yeah, yeah. Don't give me grief about the electrolytics. It's budget.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 am

coco wrote:Yeah, yeah. Don't give me grief about the electrolytics. It's budget.
Plus the sizzle-crackle-pop sound is soothing.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 am

FredS wrote:
coco wrote:Yeah, yeah. Don't give me grief about the electrolytics. It's budget.
I saved $400 by not going with film and foil

:wink:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm

coco wrote:
FredS wrote:

What exactly is that (are those?) contraption(s).
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 pm

FredS wrote:
coco wrote:
FredS wrote:

What exactly is that (are those?) contraption(s).
I didn't think that you had the slightest idea what you were talking about.

:lol:

They are "crossovers," and they go inside loudspeakers. They separate the music into higher frequency stuff for the tweeter and lower frequency stuff for the woofer.

Purists shun electrolytic capacitors because they don't act exactly as a capacitor should as the frequencies get higher. In this crossover, I have used small metalized polypropylene capacitors to "bypass" the electrolytics, and thus give them more capacitor-like characteristics. This helps quite a bit, but it may not be as good as using one big (and more expensive) metalized polypropylene capacitor, or one big (and much, much more expensive) film and foil capacitor.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed May 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Installing a red Korky
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu May 16, 2013 9:56 am

Hovannes wrote:Installing a red Korky
I hope you get to spend some quality time with it soon.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Finally finished putting my big air compressor together.

Junk from my cousin. My uncle sold trailers and camping supplies in the 60's-70's. This compressor was in his shop.

About $100 worth of new & scrounged parts.

Finished and settled in it's new home. I thought about painting it (for 10 seconds), but decided that it's earned it's patina and is entitled to wear it a little longer.
Last edited by FredS on Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm

I am happy to report that I am working on my dissertation again! Now I just need some participants from Mexico and China.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Fun with the torch:

Tiki Dude

Bonehead

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:57 pm

FredS wrote:Fun with the torch:

Tiki Dude

Bonehead
Who's Uncle Butch and why aren't we seeing more of Kelley?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 pm

Cool stuff FredS.

Took advantage of my computer induced down time and started sketching ideas for some iron doors I need to have made for a wine cabinet I've been procrastinating on designing for the showroom.