Myers-Briggs: What's your type?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Myers-Briggs: What's your type?

Post by Brigid » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:06 am

So I'm looking up Myers-Briggs personality types as research for my job. I read the type I tend to rate as, and it sounds pretty similar. What about you? I'm curious to see how the Myers-Briggs indicators stack up with what we see about each other on the forum.
The polite, reserved exterior of INFPs can at first make them difficult to get to know. They enjoy conversation, however, taking particular delight in the unusual. When INFPs are in a sociable mood, their humor and charm shine through. Disposed to like people and to avoid conflict, INFPs tend to make pleasant company.
Devoted to those in their inner circle, INFPs guard the emotional well-being of others, consoling those in distress. Guided by their desire for harmony, INFPs prefer to be flexible unless their ethics are violated. Then, they become passionate advocates for their beliefs. They are often able to sway the opinions of others through tact, diplomacy, and an ability to see varying sides of an issue.
INFPs develop these insights through reflection, and they require substantial time alone to ponder and process new information. While they can be quite patient with complex material, they are generally bored by routine. Though not always organized, INFPs are meticulous about things they value. Perfectionists, they may have trouble completing a task because it cannot meet their high standards. They may even go back to a completed project after the deadline so they can improve it.
INFPs are creative types and often have a gift for language. As introverts, they may prefer to express themselves through writing. Their dominant Feeling drives their desire to communicate, while their auxiliary intuition supplies the imagination. Having a talent for symbolism, they enjoy metaphors and similes. They continually seek new ideas and adapt well to change. They prefer working in an environment that values these gifts and allows them to make a positive difference in the world, according to their personal beliefs.
OK, what's your type?

Mnicholas
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Mnicholas » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:09 am

I need to go back and retake that test, its been 15 years or so, I can't remember.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:11 am

My sister-in-law, a missionary, was once in a meeting with her fellow workers. While on break from the meeting, they were killing two birds with one stone by stuffing envelopes with some media that needed to be distributed. As an idle conversation, they were discussing the results of this kind of testing and the benefits/disadvantages to the different classifications. While discussing the "P" influences, and she made an offhand remark that they all needed to get more in touch with their "P"ness. After an uncomfortable moment, one of her cohorts just said "I'm not touching that one..." and the meeting resumed, red faces an all......
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am

SandPiper wrote:My sister-in-law, a missionary for SMB, was once in a meeting with her fellow workers. While on break from the meeting, they were killing two birds with one stone by stuffing envelopes with some media that needed to be distributed. As an idle conversation, they were discussing the results of this kind of testing and the benefits/disadvantages to the different classifications. While discussing the "P" influences, and she made an offhand remark that they all needed to get more in touch with their "P"ness. After an uncomfortable moment, one of her cohorts just said "I'm not touching that one..." and the meeting resumed, red faces an all......
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am

SandPiper wrote:My sister-in-law, a missionary, was once in a meeting with her fellow workers. While on break from the meeting, they were killing two birds with one stone by stuffing envelopes with some media that needed to be distributed. As an idle conversation, they were discussing the results of this kind of testing and the benefits/disadvantages to the different classifications. While discussing the "P" influences, and she made an offhand remark that they all needed to get more in touch with their "P"ness. After an uncomfortable moment, one of her cohorts just said "I'm not touching that one..." and the meeting resumed, red faces an all......
*snicker*

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am

I have been tested a few times. Each time: INTJ
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

I test either as a ESTJ or ISTJ. I'm a tweener on the E/I. It has been 16 years since I last took the test. Reading through the descriptions on wikipedia, both fit.
ESTJs are practical, realistic, and matter-of-fact, with a natural head for business or mechanics. Though they are not interested in subjects they see no use for, they can apply themselves when necessary. They like to organize and run activities. ESTJs make good administrators, especially if they remember to consider others' feelings and points of view, which they often miss.
ISTJs are faithful, logical, organized, sensible, and earnest traditionalists who enjoy keeping their lives and environments well-regulated. Typically reserved and serious individuals, they earn success through their thoroughness and extraordinary dependability. They are capable of shutting out distractions in order to take a practical, logical approach to their endeavors, and are able to make the tough decisions that other types avoid. Realistic and responsible, ISTJs are often seen as worker bees striving steadily toward their goals. They take special joy in maintaining institutions and are often highly religious. Despite their dependability and good intentions, however, ISTJs can experience difficulty in understanding and responding to the emotional needs of others. [10]

Although they often focus on their internal world, ISTJs prefer dealing with the present and the factual. They are detail-oriented and weigh various options when making decisions, although they generally stick to the conventional. ISTJs are well-prepared for eventualities and have a good understanding of most situations. They believe in practical objectives, and they value traditions and loyalty.
Last edited by gravel on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

INTP

"Seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical."

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am

ENTP

ENTPs direct their energy towards the outer world of actions and spoken words. They try to create new potential, changing things to see if any improvement can be made, and generally working towards a better future. They are often trying challenging the status quo and instigating change.

It's fun to be intuitive... and I have some logic too :)

I think DL saw me mid last year under this:

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the ENTP's shadow may appear - a negative form of ISFJ. Example characteristics are:

■being pedantic about unimportant details

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

rmedved84
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by rmedved84 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:59 am

INTP, pretty evenly split between Thinking and Feeling though.
I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:12 pm

I heard ENTP and ENF* are a fun combination.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:58 pm

ESFJ - every time I've taken it.
"... but unless you've made no mistakes in your life be careful of stones that you throw."
Hank Williams

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm

What type is the can't-stand-taking-these stupid-things-because-every-answer-is-"it depends" type? :D
Sola Deo Gloria

jo533281
like R2D2, just not as cool
like R2D2, just not as cool

Post by jo533281 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:15 pm

INTJ everytime.
"This is not facebook, we are not here to boost your self esteem or hang on your every word." -Zed-

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm

I find that Myers-Briggs is no where near as reliable as Briggs & Stratton
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

GiantNinja
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior

Post by GiantNinja » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:23 pm

*NTJ

I've taken the test ten times. Six of those, I've been scored a slight extrovert, and four I've been scored a slight introvert. I suspect that's because I'm an introvert who doesn't at all mind being extroverted. I prefer the interior life, but am willing to be the life of the party.

No surprise, the Thinking (over feeling) is, BY FAR, my most definitive score. Feelings...who need 'em! ;)

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm

DepartedLight wrote:I find that Myers-Briggs is no where near as reliable as Briggs & Stratton

Tecumseh is very reliable too.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:42 pm

DepartedLight wrote:I find that Myers-Briggs is no where near as reliable as Briggs & Stratton
I score as STP on the Briggs & Stratton.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:42 pm

dasmokeryaget wrote:

Tecumseh is very reliable too.
Hard to beat Woodcock-Johnson Tests of Achievement.

No pun intended.

To the orginal question, INTP.

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:23 pm

UncleBob wrote:I have been tested a few times. Each time: INTJ
Same here.
To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence,
sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less
decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age. When it comes to their own areas of expertise -- and INTJs can have several -- they will be able to tell you almost immediately whether or not they can help you, and if so, how. INTJs know what they know, and perhaps still more importantly, they know what they don't know.

INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest. What prevents them from becoming chronically bogged down in this pursuit of perfection is the pragmatism so characteristic of the type: INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake.

INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play, as INTJs can be unsparing of both themselves and the others on the project. Anyone considered to be "slacking," including superiors, will lose their respect -- and will generally be made aware of this; INTJs have also been known to take it upon themselves to implement critical decisions without consulting their supervisors or co-workers. On the other hand, they do tend to be scrupulous and even-handed about recognizing the individual contributions that have gone into a project, and have a gift for seizing opportunities which others might not even notice.

In the broadest terms, what INTJs "do" tends to be what they "know". Typical INTJ career choices are in the sciences and engineering, but they can be found wherever a combination of intellect and incisiveness are required (e.g., law, some areas of academia). INTJs can rise to management positions when they are willing to invest time in marketing their abilities as well as enhancing them, and (whether for the sake of ambition or the desire for privacy) many also find it useful to learn to simulate some degree of surface conformism in order to mask their inherent unconventionality.

Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel. While they are capable of caring deeply for others (usually a select few), and are willing to spend a great deal of time and effort on a relationship, the knowledge and self-confidence that make them so successful in other areas can suddenly abandon or mislead them in interpersonal situations. This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals; for instance, they tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, INTJs are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :-) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

Probably the strongest INTJ assets in the interpersonal area are their intuitive abilities and their willingness to "work at" a relationship. Although as Ts they do not always have the kind of natural empathy that many Fs do, the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression. This ability can then be honed and directed by consistent, repeated efforts to understand and support those they care about, and those relationships which ultimately do become established with an INTJ tend to be characterized by their robustness, stability, and good communications.