THE CATHANGLODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Re: THE CATHANGLODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 am
I really hope more Orthodox come back to their senses and find the memory of a United Christendom.
Orthodox Christians
It would be nice if more Christian's did as well, no doubt. However, Orthodox Christians in particular need to bring their particular Churches back to full communion with each other and Rome. Like it was.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
I really hope more Orthodox come back to their senses and find the memory of a United Christendom.
Orthodox Christians
It would be nice if more Christian's did as well, no doubt. However, Orthodox Christians in particular need to bring their particular Churches back to full communion with each other and Rome. Like it was.
Yes.

If we could go back to before the Great Schism and somehow prevent its occurrence, the Reformation might never have happened.
But it, they, did.

I can't help thinking of all of Christendom as in need of reunification, even if the possibility of reunification between the Roman and Orthodox churches is more likely.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Orthodox Christians
Yes.

If we could go back to before the Great Schism and somehow prevent its occurrence, the Reformation might never have happened.
But it, they, did.
More than once I’ve entertained the idea of writing a fictional book about this very thing that only geeks like us would read. But then I realized that even geeks wouldn’t read it because I don’t write well. :lol:

One thing church history shows me is that churches splinter off into different opposing groups after a cultural and political shift take place in a region that cuts off fruitful relations. Schisms began within borders almost every time. Once a schism takes place, it seems to self perpetuate itself forever. The ramifications of those schisms are often immense and permanent.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Christ is risen!

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 pm

+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 pm
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 pm
+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!
Christos anesty!

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!
Christos anesty!
Alithos anesti!

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:00 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!
Christos anesty!
Alithos anesti!
Resurrexit, sicut dixit!
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:33 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 am
+JMJ+

I know it’s an old post. Missed it originally. I tend to see Francis and Bartholomew as kindred souls. They do lots of great things and other things that defy logic (like China and Ukraine respectively). They both earn the ire of the more conservative minded within their respective churches. Unfortunately, Bartholomew might have put the nail in the coffin of his Ecumenical title after his action in Ukraine. The very thing he cherishes so much that he was given from his predecessors. But a huge portion of the Orthodox actually act like they want him anathema these days. They downplay his Ecumenical position and cite how insignificant, unimportant and small the Phanar is. The Catholics on the other hand seem to love and respect him more. I wonder if Pope Francis feels Bartholomew’s burden and longs for his friendship, and vice versa. It was sort of odd for the Pope to give him those particular relics. There is definitely something personal in that gesture. Two very controversial bishops serving in complicated troubled times, seeking a way to minister to their communions, many of whom go out of their way to avoid charity. Myself included at times.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am

+JMJ+

Patriarch Bartholomew tells Athonites reunion with Catholics is inevitable, reports UOJ
Photo: orthodoxianewsagency.gr

On November 12, Patriarch Bartholomew participated in the Vespers service at the Catholic Abbey of Our Lady of St. Rémy in Rochefort, Belgium, together with Archimandrite Alexios, the abbot of Xenophontos Monastery, and Hieromonk Theophilos of Pantocrator Monastery, both on Mt. Athos.

According to a new report from the Un𝗂on of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

Pat. Bartholomew expressed his personal convictions during a private talk at Pantocrator Monastery with the brethren and guests of the monastery, including other Athonite abbots. Eyewitnesses report that Pat. Bartholomew’s security did not allow anyone to record the conversation.

In his opinion, the division that now exists between Orthodoxy and Catholicism is merely a matter of historical events, not dogmatic differences.

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.

According to the UOJ’s sources, Pantocrator abbot Archimandrite Gabriel, Xenophontos abbot Archimandrite Alexios, Vatopedia abbot Archimandrite Ephraim, the brethren of several monasteries, and other guests were all present for the talk.

Most of the brethren were at a loss, hearing Pat. Bartholomew’s ecumenistic arguments, though none present objected. Some of those present reportedly began to weep when Pat. Bartholomew said that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am
+JMJ+

Patriarch Bartholomew tells Athonites reunion with Catholics is inevitable, reports UOJ

On November 12, Patriarch Bartholomew participated in the Vespers service at the Catholic Abbey of Our Lady of St. Rémy in Rochefort, Belgium, together with Archimandrite Alexios, the abbot of Xenophontos Monastery, and Hieromonk Theophilos of Pantocrator Monastery, both on Mt. Athos.

According to a new report from the Un𝗂on of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

Pat. Bartholomew expressed his personal convictions during a private talk at Pantocrator Monastery with the brethren and guests of the monastery, including other Athonite abbots. Eyewitnesses report that Pat. Bartholomew’s security did not allow anyone to record the conversation.

In his opinion, the division that now exists between Orthodoxy and Catholicism is merely a matter of historical events, not dogmatic differences.

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.

According to the UOJ’s sources, Pantocrator abbot Archimandrite Gabriel, Xenophontos abbot Archimandrite Alexios, Vatopedia abbot Archimandrite Ephraim, the brethren of several monasteries, and other guests were all present for the talk.

Most of the brethren were at a loss, hearing Pat. Bartholomew’s ecumenistic arguments, though none present objected. Some of those present reportedly began to weep when Pat. Bartholomew said that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

[…]
I will need to see more credible verification of this before I accept it as true. There are so many charges against one Patriarch or another lately and all gossip to go with it. I’ll take it with a grain of salt for now. Either way, if this gets around it will deepen the wound and strengthen the resolve within Orthodoxy.

By my own insignificant conjecture, any reunion between the Catholics and Orthodox can only be messy and hurtful and the following result will always be deeper distrust from the remaining Orthodox. I wish there was a better way. I simply cannot see any way that that the whole of both communions will suddenly “bury the hatchet.”

As is, Bartholomew is commonly being blamed for being ecumenical and acting like a Pope. The trouble is, a good Pope values the council of his brother bishops. Curiously, I have heard from very few Orthodox bishops who were consulted about Ukraine. The whole thing is quite troubling.

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:23 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am
+JMJ+

[…]
I will need to see more credible verification of this before I accept it as true. There are so many charges against one Patriarch or another lately and all gossip to go with it. I’ll take it with a grain of salt for now. Either way, if this gets around it will deepen the wound and strengthen the resolve within Orthodoxy.

By my own insignificant conjecture, any reunion between the Catholics and Orthodox can only be messy and hurtful and the following result will always be deeper distrust from the remaining Orthodox. I wish there was a better way. I simply cannot see any way that that the whole of both communions will suddenly “bury the hatchet.”

As is, Bartholomew is commonly being blamed for being ecumenical and acting like a Pope. The trouble is, a good Pope values the council of his brother bishops. Curiously, I have heard from very few Orthodox bishops who were consulted about Ukraine. The whole thing is quite troubling.
That has all the appearance of a hit piece to me, thunk. Am I right? No recording, no sources. Schismatic Ukrainians. Weeping monks.

I don't buy a word of it, especially after clicking on the UOJ link and translating the Russian article (the english article was plagiaristically similar).

Wos has become a source of highly entertaining fake news.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm

I’ve noticed. And I read most of it. :lol:

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm
I’ve noticed. And I read most of it. :lol:
You and me both! :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:24 am

+JMJ+

Pope sends greetings to Patriarch Bartholomew on feast of St Andrew
Pope Francis with Patriarch Bartholomew on September 17, 2019

Pope Francis sends a letter to Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople on Saturday, and expresses his hopes for the re-establishment of full communion between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

Following a long-standing custom, the Holy See sent a delegation to Istanbul to celebrate the feast of Saint Andrew, the patron saint of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, on November 30th.

The delegation — led by Cardinal Kurt Koch, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity — participated in the Divine Liturgy in the Patriarchal Church of Saint George.

Desire for full communion

Cardinal Koch handed Patriarch Bartholomew a letter from Pope Francis, in which the Pope expressed his spiritual closeness. The letter was read out publicly at the end of the Divine Liturgy.

“I convey the assurance of the unwavering intention of the Catholic Church, as well as my own,” said the Pope, “to continue in our commitment to working towards the re-establishment of full communion among the Christians of the East and the West.”

Pope Francis noted that 2019 marks the 40th anniversary since the foundation of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

He expressed his gratitude for all those who have worked toward re-establishing full communion.

“The search for the re-establishment of full communion among Catholics and Orthodox is certainly not confined to theological dialogue, but is also accomplished through other channels of ecclesial life,” he said.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco