THE CATHANGLODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Re: THE CATHANGLODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:55 am
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:43 am
I really hope more Orthodox come back to their senses and find the memory of a United Christendom.
Orthodox Christians
It would be nice if more Christian's did as well, no doubt. However, Orthodox Christians in particular need to bring their particular Churches back to full communion with each other and Rome. Like it was.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
I really hope more Orthodox come back to their senses and find the memory of a United Christendom.
Orthodox Christians
It would be nice if more Christian's did as well, no doubt. However, Orthodox Christians in particular need to bring their particular Churches back to full communion with each other and Rome. Like it was.
Yes.

If we could go back to before the Great Schism and somehow prevent its occurrence, the Reformation might never have happened.
But it, they, did.

I can't help thinking of all of Christendom as in need of reunification, even if the possibility of reunification between the Roman and Orthodox churches is more likely.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:13 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Orthodox Christians
Yes.

If we could go back to before the Great Schism and somehow prevent its occurrence, the Reformation might never have happened.
But it, they, did.
More than once I’ve entertained the idea of writing a fictional book about this very thing that only geeks like us would read. But then I realized that even geeks wouldn’t read it because I don’t write well. :lol:

One thing church history shows me is that churches splinter off into different opposing groups after a cultural and political shift take place in a region that cuts off fruitful relations. Schisms began within borders almost every time. Once a schism takes place, it seems to self perpetuate itself forever. The ramifications of those schisms are often immense and permanent.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Christ is risen!
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 pm

+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 pm
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:07 pm
+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!
Christos anesty!

TNLawPiper
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!
Christos anesty!
Alithos anesti!
Stat crux dum volvitur orbis.

Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel

Post by Del » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:00 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 pm
wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
TNLawPiper wrote:
Christ is risen!
Aye, he is risen!
Christos anesty!
Alithos anesti!
Resurrexit, sicut dixit!
"If somebody serves you something to eat, and it don't taste good? -- Then it ain't Cajun!" -- Paul Prudhomme

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:25 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:33 pm

wosbald wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:48 am
+JMJ+

I know it’s an old post. Missed it originally. I tend to see Francis and Bartholomew as kindred souls. They do lots of great things and other things that defy logic (like China and Ukraine respectively). They both earn the ire of the more conservative minded within their respective churches. Unfortunately, Bartholomew might have put the nail in the coffin of his Ecumenical title after his action in Ukraine. The very thing he cherishes so much that he was given from his predecessors. But a huge portion of the Orthodox actually act like they want him anathema these days. They downplay his Ecumenical position and cite how insignificant, unimportant and small the Phanar is. The Catholics on the other hand seem to love and respect him more. I wonder if Pope Francis feels Bartholomew’s burden and longs for his friendship, and vice versa. It was sort of odd for the Pope to give him those particular relics. There is definitely something personal in that gesture. Two very controversial bishops serving in complicated troubled times, seeking a way to minister to their communions, many of whom go out of their way to avoid charity. Myself included at times.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am

+JMJ+

Patriarch Bartholomew tells Athonites reunion with Catholics is inevitable, reports UOJ
Photo: orthodoxianewsagency.gr

On November 12, Patriarch Bartholomew participated in the Vespers service at the Catholic Abbey of Our Lady of St. Rémy in Rochefort, Belgium, together with Archimandrite Alexios, the abbot of Xenophontos Monastery, and Hieromonk Theophilos of Pantocrator Monastery, both on Mt. Athos.

According to a new report from the Un𝗂on of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

Pat. Bartholomew expressed his personal convictions during a private talk at Pantocrator Monastery with the brethren and guests of the monastery, including other Athonite abbots. Eyewitnesses report that Pat. Bartholomew’s security did not allow anyone to record the conversation.

In his opinion, the division that now exists between Orthodoxy and Catholicism is merely a matter of historical events, not dogmatic differences.

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.

According to the UOJ’s sources, Pantocrator abbot Archimandrite Gabriel, Xenophontos abbot Archimandrite Alexios, Vatopedia abbot Archimandrite Ephraim, the brethren of several monasteries, and other guests were all present for the talk.

Most of the brethren were at a loss, hearing Pat. Bartholomew’s ecumenistic arguments, though none present objected. Some of those present reportedly began to weep when Pat. Bartholomew said that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am
+JMJ+

Patriarch Bartholomew tells Athonites reunion with Catholics is inevitable, reports UOJ

On November 12, Patriarch Bartholomew participated in the Vespers service at the Catholic Abbey of Our Lady of St. Rémy in Rochefort, Belgium, together with Archimandrite Alexios, the abbot of Xenophontos Monastery, and Hieromonk Theophilos of Pantocrator Monastery, both on Mt. Athos.

According to a new report from the Un𝗂on of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

Pat. Bartholomew expressed his personal convictions during a private talk at Pantocrator Monastery with the brethren and guests of the monastery, including other Athonite abbots. Eyewitnesses report that Pat. Bartholomew’s security did not allow anyone to record the conversation.

In his opinion, the division that now exists between Orthodoxy and Catholicism is merely a matter of historical events, not dogmatic differences.

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.

According to the UOJ’s sources, Pantocrator abbot Archimandrite Gabriel, Xenophontos abbot Archimandrite Alexios, Vatopedia abbot Archimandrite Ephraim, the brethren of several monasteries, and other guests were all present for the talk.

Most of the brethren were at a loss, hearing Pat. Bartholomew’s ecumenistic arguments, though none present objected. Some of those present reportedly began to weep when Pat. Bartholomew said that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

[…]
I will need to see more credible verification of this before I accept it as true. There are so many charges against one Patriarch or another lately and all gossip to go with it. I’ll take it with a grain of salt for now. Either way, if this gets around it will deepen the wound and strengthen the resolve within Orthodoxy.

By my own insignificant conjecture, any reunion between the Catholics and Orthodox can only be messy and hurtful and the following result will always be deeper distrust from the remaining Orthodox. I wish there was a better way. I simply cannot see any way that that the whole of both communions will suddenly “bury the hatchet.”

As is, Bartholomew is commonly being blamed for being ecumenical and acting like a Pope. The trouble is, a good Pope values the council of his brother bishops. Curiously, I have heard from very few Orthodox bishops who were consulted about Ukraine. The whole thing is quite troubling.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:23 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am
wosbald wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:19 am
+JMJ+

[…]
I will need to see more credible verification of this before I accept it as true. There are so many charges against one Patriarch or another lately and all gossip to go with it. I’ll take it with a grain of salt for now. Either way, if this gets around it will deepen the wound and strengthen the resolve within Orthodoxy.

By my own insignificant conjecture, any reunion between the Catholics and Orthodox can only be messy and hurtful and the following result will always be deeper distrust from the remaining Orthodox. I wish there was a better way. I simply cannot see any way that that the whole of both communions will suddenly “bury the hatchet.”

As is, Bartholomew is commonly being blamed for being ecumenical and acting like a Pope. The trouble is, a good Pope values the council of his brother bishops. Curiously, I have heard from very few Orthodox bishops who were consulted about Ukraine. The whole thing is quite troubling.
That has all the appearance of a hit piece to me, thunk. Am I right? No recording, no sources. Schismatic Ukrainians. Weeping monks.

I don't buy a word of it, especially after clicking on the UOJ link and translating the Russian article (the english article was plagiaristically similar).

Wos has become a source of highly entertaining fake news.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm

I’ve noticed. And I read most of it. :lol:

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:28 pm
I’ve noticed. And I read most of it. :lol:
You and me both! :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:24 am

+JMJ+

Pope sends greetings to Patriarch Bartholomew on feast of St Andrew
Pope Francis with Patriarch Bartholomew on September 17, 2019

Pope Francis sends a letter to Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople on Saturday, and expresses his hopes for the re-establishment of full communion between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

Following a long-standing custom, the Holy See sent a delegation to Istanbul to celebrate the feast of Saint Andrew, the patron saint of the Patriarchate of Constantinople, on November 30th.

The delegation — led by Cardinal Kurt Koch, President of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity — participated in the Divine Liturgy in the Patriarchal Church of Saint George.

Desire for full communion

Cardinal Koch handed Patriarch Bartholomew a letter from Pope Francis, in which the Pope expressed his spiritual closeness. The letter was read out publicly at the end of the Divine Liturgy.

“I convey the assurance of the unwavering intention of the Catholic Church, as well as my own,” said the Pope, “to continue in our commitment to working towards the re-establishment of full communion among the Christians of the East and the West.”

Pope Francis noted that 2019 marks the 40th anniversary since the foundation of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.

He expressed his gratitude for all those who have worked toward re-establishing full communion.

“The search for the re-establishment of full communion among Catholics and Orthodox is certainly not confined to theological dialogue, but is also accomplished through other channels of ecclesial life,” he said.

[…]

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

+JMJ+

‘Orthodox Social Ethos’ aims to put Eastern Church spin on social issues [In-Depth, Interview]
Aristotle Papanikolaou is professor of theology, the Archbishop Demetrios Chair of Orthodox Theology and Culture, and the Co-Director of the Orthodox Christian Studies Center at Fordham University. (Credit: Crux)

[Editor’s Note: Aristotle Papanikolaou is professor of theology, the Archbishop Demetrios Chair of Orthodox Theology and Culture, and the Co-Director of the Orthodox Christian Studies Center at Fordham University. He is also Senior Fellow at the Emory University Center for the Study of Law and Religion. In 2012, he received the Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in the Humanities. Among his numerous publications, he is the author of Being with God: Trinity, Apophaticism, and Divine-Human Communion, and The Mystical as Political: Democracy and Non-Radical Orthodoxy. He is also co-editor of Political Theologies in Orthodox Christianity, Fundamentalism or Tradition: Christianity after Secularism, Christianity, Democracy and the Shadow of Constantine (Winner of 2017 Alpha Sigma Nu Award in Theology), Orthodox Constructions of the West, Orthodox Readings of Augustine, and Thinking Through Faith: New Perspectives from Orthodox Christian Scholars. He spoke to Charles Camosy about his new project, an Orthdox Social Ethos document.]

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Camosy: Creating an Orthodox Social Ethos document is a massive and important project. How did it come about?

Papanikolaou: Given his position as global leader of Orthodoxy, the Ecumenical Patriarch, Bartholomew I, felt the need to provide pastoral guidance specifically to Orthodox Christians, and to open dialogue with both religious and political actors toward confronting the many challenges we are facing on a global scale. This document, though not an official document of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, represents in a more systematic and coherent form a vision he has been articulating since he became Ecumenical Patriarch in 1991.

He appointed the theologians listed in the document, who worked collaboratively for a couple of years. There was input from bishops in central positions throughout the world, who submitted the pastoral concerns in their regional dioceses. The document also passed through the hands of more well-known theologians, such as Kallistos Ware and John Zizioulas, a number of external consultants and specialists, as well as members of the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. Not surprisingly, the document went through many stages before it reached its final form.

Why an Orthodox Social Ethos and not an Orthodox Social Teaching or Doctrine?

The emphasis in the document is on a core axiom of Orthodox theology, one that can be traced consistently in the Orthodox tradition from the New Testament’s exhortation to become “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Pet 1:4), through the Greek, Syriac, and pre-Reformation-Latin fathers, up until the renewal of Orthodox theology in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. That axiom is theosis (deification). The focus is on transformation of the cosmos — of human and non-human life — in its relation to God the Father, in Christ, by the Holy Spirit. That transformation is the realization of a way of being in the world. The goal, then, was less a call to obedience, which perhaps the word “teaching” could convey, and more to project a vision that could provide a way first of all for an open conversation, but ultimately for a transformation towards patterns of relationality that would render human and non-human life irreducibly unique, to be more of what God intended for creation.

Still, even an ethos can provoke disagreement or opposition. Catholics know this all too well, especially in post-Vatican II context. I note that this document has been endorsed by the Ecumenical Patriarch. What kind of authority does it have in the Orthodox world? Or is that even the right question to ask?

As is well known, there is no hierarch in the Orthodox Church who is equivalent in both authority and jurisdiction to the Pope, the Bishop of Rome. With that said, the Ecumenical Patriarch does possess a primacy in relation to the other Orthodox hierarchs who are heads of autocephalous churches, even if the scope and nature of that primacy is constantly being debated. The reality, however, is that the Ecumenical Patriarch symbolizes global Orthodoxy in a way not possible for other Orthodox hierarchs, whether they be leaders of autocephalous churches or not.

Nationalism has tethered itself so deeply to the autocephalous churches that when someone sees the Patriarch of Moscow, they see Orthodoxy in Russia; they don’t expand their imagination to global Orthodoxy. And that is why the “The Basis of the Social Concept” produced by the Russian Orthodox Church and released in 2000 was largely ignored by the rest of the Orthodox churches. It is only in the person of the Ecumenical Patriarch that global Orthodoxy is iconized and this is evident especially in his leadership as the “Green Patriarch,” or if he meets the Pope, as an example; in these particular roles, he does not simply represent the Orthodox Christians within a geographical border.

Given this reality, insofar as he initiated the process for this document and that it has his endorsement, even if it is not an official document of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, it conveys a message about Orthodoxy that will be widely discussed not simply within the Orthodox world, but beyond. It will become the reference point for “what the Orthodox think” in a way not possible for documents produced by local autocephalous churches. In that sense, it will have an authority lacking in other local documents of its kind.

Can you do some broad-based comparisons between Orthodox Social Ethos and Catholic Social Teaching? What are some important similarities and differences?

I’m not an expert in Catholic Social Teaching, but my sense of it is that it is usually associated with papal encyclicals issued since the nineteenth century, the most famous of which was Rerum Novarum, that specifically address social issues such as poverty, labor, economics, politics, family, human rights, etc. For the Life of the World is similar in scope in that it deals with these issues.

There are, however, several differences. …

[…]

Can you see this document being used as a bridge for dialogue between Orthodox and Catholic Christians?

Absolutely, insofar as these types of documents within the Orthodox Church do not really exist. Prior to this document, there is nothing with which to dialogue, except local documents. And, again, given that this document emerged from the initiative of the Ecumenical Patriarch, it will acquire a global significance, making this the document that which will serve as a basis for dialogue in a way not possible with documents produced by local Orthodox churches.

My own prediction is that this document will be the one used in undergraduate and graduate courses for those looking to incorporate the Orthodox perspective; it will be studied by theological ethicists — Orthodox and non-Orthodox alike; it will become the reference point for intra-Christian and inter-religious dialogue; it will be the document that will hopefully shape political actors interested in the “religious” perspective in such a way that they simply do not caricature the Orthodox position as pre-modern and unwilling to discern the sign of the times.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed May 27, 2020 9:21 am

+JMJ+

Pope Francis: ‘I share the impatience’ to bring about Christian unity
St. John Paul II greets Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in 2002. Marking the 25th anniversary of St. John Paul II's encyclical on Christian unity, Pope Francis said he shares "the healthy impatience" of those who think more can and should be done, but he also insisted that Christians must be grateful for the progress made. (CNS photo/Reuters)

Pope Francis marked the 25th anniversary of St. John Paul II’s encyclical on Christian unity — Ut Unum Sint (“That all may be one”) — by reaffirming the church’s “irrevocable” commitment to work for unity among the world’s roughly 2.3 billion Christians. “I too share the healthy impatience of those who sometimes think that we can and should do more,” he said.

“On the path that leads to full communion, it is important to keep in mind the progress already made, but equally important to scan the horizon and ask, with the Encyclical Ut Unum Sint, ‘How much further do we have to travel’ (no. 77),” he said in a letter to the president of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, the Swiss cardinal Kurt Koch.

“One thing is certain,” the pope wrote. “Unity is not chiefly the result of our activity, but a gift of the Holy Spirit. Yet, unity will not come about as a miracle at the very end. Rather, unity comes about in journeying; the Holy Spirit does this on the journey.”

He recalled that John Paul II wrote the encyclical with a view to the third millennium and mindful of the prayer of Jesus at the Last Supper “that all may be one.” In it, he confirmed the “irrevocable” commitment made by the Catholic Church at the Second Vatican Council (1962-65) in the groundbreaking document, Unitatis Redintegratio (“The Restoration of Unity”), which the council fathers endorsed with a vote of 2,137 in favor, 11 against. It was subsequently promulgated by Pope Paul VI on Nov. 21, 1964.

[…]

In his letter for the anniversary of the encyclical, Pope Francis urged all believers to “give thanks to the Lord for the journey he has allowed us to travel as Christians in quest of full communion.”

Aware that many had hoped for more progress on unity, he reminded them: “We should not be lacking in faith and gratitude: many steps have been taken in these decades to heal the wounds of centuries and millennia. Mutual knowledge and esteem have grown and helped to overcome deeply rooted prejudices. Theological dialogue and the dialogue of charity have developed, as well as various forms of cooperation in the dialogue of life, at both the pastoral and cultural level.”

He prayed that, together with the heads of the different churches and Christian communities, “may we, like the disciples of Emmaus, experience the presence of the risen Christ who walks at our side and explains the Scriptures to us. May we recognize him in the breaking of the bread, as we await the day when we shall share the Eucharistic table together.”

Pope Francis thanked the pontifical council for its effort over more than half a century to foster this quest for unity, and he welcomed, in particular, two of its recent initiatives: to publish in the fall an Ecumenical Vademecum for Bishops “as an encouragement and guide for the exercise of their ecumenical responsibilities,” and to launch the journal Acta Œcumenica, “which, by renewing the Dicastery’s Information Service, is meant to assist all who work in the service of unity.”

He encouraged all Christians “to ask the Holy Spirit to guide our steps and to enable everyone to hear the call to work for the cause of ecumenism with renewed vigor,” and he prayed “may the Spirit inspire new prophetic gestures and strengthen fraternal charity among all Christ’s disciples” so “that the world may believe.”

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed May 27, 2020 11:58 am

This thread needs more anglican
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis