Pearl Harbor Day

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Pearl Harbor Day

Post by Gabriel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:45 am

71 years ago today.

Hear the radio broadcast of FDR's speech HERE.

If you're my age, your grandparents were young adults listening to this speech on the radio as it happened. No doubt they vowed they would always remember. They're gone now, but we can remember in their place.

Any family stories of Pearl Harbor or the aftermath? It certainly changed my grandparents lives in ways we'll never know. My grandfather was almost finished at the University of IL (he had been raised a farmer, by a farmer, by a farmer). He didn't finish but enlisted in the Army and, with the 88th Signal Corp., spent the next 4 years going island by island from Hawaii to Okinawa. He was in the Philippines during the retaking of Manilla and the return of MacArthur. He never went back to the U of I. He came back to Chenoa, married my grandmother and farmed for the rest of his life. He was friends with guys from the 88th until he died.

Sola Deo Gloria

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 am

My grandparents were unmarried dealing with a different national tragedy: German occupation of The Netherlands.

In 1950 they got married on December 7.

Their reluctance to talk about the war is telling, but I'd like to think December 7 marked for them that help was coming. The Americans were stirred and would drive the Germans out.

In the mid 1950s they moved to Canada, eventually moving to New York and becoming US citizens. With their accents no one would mistake them as native born citizens, but they would proudly declare their nationality as American when asked.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 pm

gravel wrote:My grandparents were unmarried dealing with a different national tragedy: German occupation of The Netherlands.

In 1950 they got married on December 7.

Their reluctance to talk about the war is telling, but I'd like to think December 7 marked for them that help was coming. The Americans were stirred and would drive the Germans out.

In the mid 1950s they moved to Canada, eventually moving to New York and becoming US citizens. With their accents no one would mistake them as native born citizens, but they would proudly declare their nationality as American when asked.
Thanks gravel! I'm always interested in family histories. My own family has been settled here in the US of A so long that I really have no immigrant stories to tell. One of these I hope to do some extensive research.

I think what we're trying to say here, is that if hadn't been for the Pearl Harbor attack, our families may have never met and I wouldn't sorta know you over the internet. ;)
Sola Deo Gloria

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks for posting guys.

sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Post by sysiphus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:09 pm

The WWII Memorial in DC is inspiring. Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, and the Arizona memorial are ... visceral experiences.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

jjmitchem
Congregation
Congregation

Post by jjmitchem » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:19 pm

I posted this today on my Facebook. I made it public so the link should work

https://www.facebook.com/notes/jim-mitc ... 3111839014
- Chappy
I'm not ashamed of anything whatever that I do, and I don't feel that smoking makes me ashamed, and therefore I mean to smoke to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:03 am

A very good friend of mine is nisei, born on December 7, 1941 in the good old USA. His first four years were spent in the Payson, AZ internment camp.
He had a relative who served as Combat Engineer in Italy.

I was also fortunate growing up in the 50's that I met some of the men who were in Pearl on the morning of the attack. They were very inspiring role models for us kids. I think all of them have passed on though.

I'll remember Pearl Harbor for them.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:05 am

sysiphus wrote:The WWII Memorial in DC is inspiring. Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, and the Arizona memorial are ... visceral experiences.
Indeed they are!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 am

Mom's dad, who was in the Navy during WW1, worked on the bomb during WW2.

America's war started with Pearl Harbor. It ended with Nagasaki.

Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:30 am

On this day in 1965, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" premiered.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:01 am

Dec. 7 is also my Mother's Father's birthday.

My Father's Father was drafted into the Army, and fought in the battle of Okinawa. He died on my wedding day.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: Pearl Harbor Day

Post by UncleBob » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 am

75 years ago.

This is weird--especially if true: The Spooky Pearl Harbor Mystery That Remains Unsolved
On November 22 [of 1941], a strange advertisement appeared in the New Yorker magazine. It pictured a group of people sheltered from an air raid, playing dice. Under the headline “Achtung, Warning, Alerte!” the copy read, “We hope you’ll never have to spend a long winter’s night in an air-raid shelter, but we were just thinking . . . it’s only common sense to be prepared. If you’re not too busy between now and Christmas, why not sit down and plan a list of the things you’ll want to have on hand. . . . And though it’s no time, really, to be thinking of what’s fashionable, we bet that most of your friends will remember to include those intriguing dice and chips which make Chicago’s favorite game: THE DEADLY DOUBLE.” Scattered throughout the issue were six smaller tag ads referring back to the main copy, with the dice numbered 12 and 7, numbers on no known dice. Later during the war, navy transport pilot Joseph Bell was flying a South Pacific route when one of his passengers, an intelligence officer, told him that many in intelligence considered this ad a secret warning. He had been assigned to investigate the matter, but every lead had led to a dead end—the ad’s copy had been presented in person at the magazine’s offices, and the fee paid with cash. Neither the game offered in the ad, nor the company that purported to make it, ever existed.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:14 am

For the twelfth year in a row, I awoke this morning, tapped my wife on the back and said in my best Looney Tunes Tojo impersonation voice, "I am afraid you have awoken a sleeping giant."

She no longer laughs, but I think it's best not to let her forget that we haven't forgotten.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 am

Remembering Pearl Harbor and losing the Pacific Fleet, what a seemingly overwhelming task it was fighting both Japan and Germany. It is a wonder just how in the world those wars were both "won."

https://youtu.be/EgeJUOdHMh8
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:09 am

I have a copy of the local newspapers evening edition from that day.
I'm bigger than the Beatles - Jesus

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am

By the time this Secret Memo was dispatched from the Dept of the Navy the Japanese, with six aircraft carriers and hundreds of airplanes, were already approaching Hawaii on radio silence from the northwest, thousands of miles away. Three days earlier the Japanese force had been sent the code phrase, “Climb Mount Niitaka” — the go-ahead to attack Pearl Harbor.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:35 am

My father was Regular Army. He enlisted in 1934.
On the day Pearl Harbor was attacked he’d already been preparing for war for 7 years.

He spent WWII fighting in the Pacific as an Airborne Ranger, later, as a “Raider,” in a jungle combat guerilla unit.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:05 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:14 am
For the twelfth year in a row, I awoke this morning, tapped my wife on the back and said in my best Looney Tunes Tojo impersonation voice, "I am afraid you have awoken a sleeping giant."

She no longer laughs, but I think it's best not to let her forget that we haven't forgotten.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:41 pm

My father's older brother went on to enlist in the U.S. Coast Guard and lost his life at sea when his ship, the U.S.S. Leopold, was torpedoed in the North Atlantic. After that in 1943 my dad at 16 years of age tricked his father into signing releases and joined the U. S. Merchant Marine sailing in both the Atlantic and Pacific during the remaining war time, including the dreaded Murmansk Run.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Goose55 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:23 pm

When I think of all the times of war, there sure has been a lot of blood spilled to found and protect this Nation.