The Health Benefits of Pipe Smoking?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re:

Post by Pepik » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:56 pm

ATexanLostinVirginia wrote:
adauria wrote:
ATexanLostinVirginia wrote:
adauria wrote:Anecdotally, I find (and I'm sure many others are with me) a massive reduction in stress while smoking. Considering stress probably causes or exacerbates 90% of the health problems modern man suffers from, I'd say that's a pretty big benefit.

There was a WHO study from 1960 that showed pipe smokes live longer than non-smokers. I attribute this to the stress reduction. I don't think any other studies have shown anything similar, but then again I can't think of any that looked at pipe smokers as a distinct group from "smokers."

-Andrew
I hadn't heard of the WHO study, but of one done by the Surgeon General of the U.S. in 1971

I'm clearly confused.... I think it is the SG's report I'm thinking of, though a quick google shows 1964. Could be wrong.

-Andrew
I was just going off of memory - from a flyer at the Richmond Pipe Show that I saw in 2008 or 2009!? So, I'm sure you're correct.
Yes, yes, yes - I'm necroing a rather old thread. Please do try to sue me - we both know it'd be frivolous and I'll change your Moniker to something that will shame you For the Ages.

Anecdotally I ran into a reference of sorts to this earlier today on thePeterson Pipe's Facebook page of something like:
Life expectancy for Pipe Smokers:

Okay, sit down for this…. A US Surgeon General report “Smoking and Health” (No. 1103, page 112) noted, “Death rates for current pipe smokers were little if at all higher than for non-smokers, even with men smoking 10 pipefuls per day and with men who had smoked pipes for more than 30 years.” On page 92 the report also stated, “Pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers.

What? Life expectancy for pipe smokers is three years longer than… Non-Smokers! Just try to use that argument with an anti-smoking activist! Of course this is not to encourage people to smoke, but has more to do with the personality of a typical pipe smoker. Most are type “B” where most cigarette smokers are type “A”. So a pipe smoker, on average, is a more laid back person. Second, smoking a pipe is very relaxing. You just can’t be angry when you are smoking a pipe.

Cigars are also relaxing but it seems, not as much as pipes. Most cigarette smoking is not so much a relaxing experience as it is a need for nicotine.
So this is indeed from the 1964 Report which I can't say I'd trust all that much, given that time of Political/Industrial influences and the maturity of the Medical Arts.

The 2014 CDC report indicates there is a utter lack of data for non-cigarette smoking forms (Pipes, Hookah, snus/snuff, etc) so they aren't saying one way or another what the potential effect are. They reference the 1964, 2004 and 2014 Surgeon General's reports that pretty all much say "you know what - this all sucks so stop". However if you read some of the "how did we get this data" it's all anecdotal polling questions of users. That's probably why they don't have much in the way of data on Piping.

"So what's the point here Pepik". This: be careful using the old 1964 line in that quote above. It's old, it's questionable, and it's been updated twice over ... indirectly. Basically, don't think we have a definitive answer here to these sorts of arguments. What we do have is acknowledged "we do not have a friggin clue" coming from the CDC, outside of the indicators for second-hand smoke, Eye Diseases, Oral cavity and pharyngeal causal relationship with piping (see section 14.1 and forward in Chapter 14 in the 2014 report). Chapter 15 acknowledges that haven't the foggiest for any other tobacco use other than cigs based on data metrics.

Anyone else have more comparative reports for our particular chosen form of usage?
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Re:

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:55 pm

Pepik wrote:Anyone else have more comparative reports for our particular chosen form of usage?
The FDA case referenced health studies with pipe smoking. So checkout the FDA thread that is nailed up in the general. I'm pretty sure their case is still available.
The interesting thing is that the FDA actually commented upon 3 bowls per day so they are learning about us. However, they seem not to know that the growth in pipe smoking, that they cite, appears to be mostly new smokers and they tend to smoke a lot less than daily. This comes up here pretty regularly. This is the traditional experience that we all go through. Plus the FDA seems to not understand that with all the barriers to smoking it's a real challenge to integrate pipe smoking into one's lifestyle today. It's an old pleasure that is a very awkward fit. So I suspect that the usual tendency to smoke more with experience may not actually occur anymore. It's a good question and worth a poll here on the forum. There are a couple that standout eg Steverino. But wouldn't it be interesting if that tendency is connected to age ie smoking freq relates to experience and age. That would leave the FDA without their usual Quixote windmill concerning youth smoking. In the thread about aromatic and Burley history one can read some of the ref's I provided and even back in the 70's most pipe smokers were older. I suspect that when the fad fades most of the young hobbyists will go too. It'll be the old curmudgeon diehards remaining who didn't get the memo.

I have a very hard time believing that someone who smokes a few bowls per week is in any danger. This is equivalent to hobbyist cigar smokers which the IPCPR has used in educating the FDA with such success that the FDA actually included an option not to regulate large cigars. Presume an eyerolling emoticon here.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by Pepik » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Rusty wrote:I have a very hard time believing that someone who smokes a few bowls per week is in any danger. This is equivalent to hobbyist cigar smokers which the IPCPR has used in educating the FDA with such success that the FDA actually included an option not to regulate large cigars. Presume an eyerolling emoticon here.
I'd agree with that.

After getting a full read on the FDA stuff and the CDC paper(s), it's obvious there's some agenda in there. For my part, I'm looking for substantive metrics and it looks like it just isn't there just yet. However, I'd just as soon not place 100% credence into the 1964 report.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
Rusty
In Memoriam
Posts: 25059
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: Re:

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:10 pm

Pepik wrote:
Rusty wrote:I have a very hard time believing that someone who smokes a few bowls per week is in any danger. This is equivalent to hobbyist cigar smokers which the IPCPR has used in educating the FDA with such success that the FDA actually included an option not to regulate large cigars. Presume an eyerolling emoticon here.
I'd agree with that.

After getting a full read on the FDA stuff and the CDC paper(s), it's obvious there's some agenda in there. For my part, I'm looking for substantive metrics and it looks like it just isn't there just yet. However, I'd just as soon not place 100% credence into the 1964 report.
An agenda? You mean as in opposed? Noooo they love folks smoking pipes.
Really. They're not beyond manipulation. It's the CDC that didn't even ack that RYO was/is being sold as pipe tobacco. And the FDA hasn't acked that either. They exploited a known problem with the numbers that originated with the 2009 SCHIP Act hugely differentiating the excise on RYO from PT. They created a problem and an incentive for RYO marketers to mislabel.The pipe tobacco manufacturers responded to a request & offered definitions that would divide them and stop the problem. Every State knows the difference because they register the products and the manufacturer. Nothing came of it at all. Their idea of market growth ie in 2002-2011 would look more like a step function with the step occurring in 2009/2010 after SCHIP I suspect. The worst part is that we don't know what they did to get the numbers.

The 1964 report is not a good reference. Pipe smokers love it though. In the past when there were sufficient pipe smokers (est. is almost 15% of adults in 1970) that one could run long term studies they smoked and chewed almost everything. Only about 3% were solely pipe smokers. The recent pipe smokers-only and pipe smokers with the occasional cigar appears quite different. But we don't have the stats. And the numbers & propor. of the adult pop smoking pipes is still very small. In Canada it is 0.5% pipe smoking still. In the US it's probably approaching 4 times that. This is wet dream territory for anti-tob activists still. They hope the entire market for any tobacco usage goes that way. But the deadly association is with young people starting to smoke anything. And 18-24 is still young in the FDA's opinion.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

User avatar
Goose55
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 7638
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: The Health Benefits of Pipe Smoking?

Post by Goose55 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm

A US Surgeon General report “Pipe Smoking and Health” (No. 1103, page 112) noted,

“Death rates for current pipe smokers were little if at all higher than for non-smokers, even with men smoking 10 pipefuls per day and with men who had smoked pipes for more than 30 years.” On page 92 the report also stated that pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers."

What? Life expectancy for pipe smokers is three years longer than… Non-Smokers! Just try to use that argument with an anti-smoking activist! Of course this is not to encourage people to smoke, but has more to do with the personality of a typical pipe smoker. Most are type “B” where most cigarette smokers are type “A”. So a pipe smoker, on average, is a more laid back person. Second, smoking a pipe is very relaxing. You just can’t be angry when you are smoking a pipe.

Cigars are also relaxing but it seems, not as much as pipes. Most cigarette smoking is not so much a relaxing experience as it is a need for nicotine.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 23913
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Health Benefits of Pipe Smoking?

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:46 pm
A US Surgeon General report “Pipe Smoking and Health” (No. 1103, page 112) noted,

“Death rates for current pipe smokers were little if at all higher than for non-smokers, even with men smoking 10 pipefuls per day and with men who had smoked pipes for more than 30 years.” On page 92 the report also stated that pipe smokers who inhale live as long as nonsmokers and pipe smokers that don’t inhale live longer than non-smokers."

What? Life expectancy for pipe smokers is three years longer than… Non-Smokers! Just try to use that argument with an anti-smoking activist! Of course this is not to encourage people to smoke, but has more to do with the personality of a typical pipe smoker. Most are type “B” where most cigarette smokers are type “A”. So a pipe smoker, on average, is a more laid back person. Second, smoking a pipe is very relaxing. You just can’t be angry when you are smoking a pipe.

Cigars are also relaxing but it seems, not as much as pipes. Most cigarette smoking is not so much a relaxing experience as it is a need for nicotine.
Sounds good to me, but I'm optimistic anyway.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Post Reply