What are you drinking?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Notable Minister of Live Bait

Re: What are you drinking?

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:43 pm

I bought a four pack of cans of Guinness Drought, with the big harp on the can. I opened one this evening and waited, then carefully poured it into a glass, and there is very little foam. Almost none, actually. I thought these things were supposed to foam. I've had a few sips anyway but it tastes pretty flat.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:21 pm

Laphroaig 10yr
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:22 pm

WT 101
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

Adam Z
Jam Band Music Minister
Jam Band Music Minister

Post by Adam Z » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:26 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:43 pm
I bought a four pack of cans of Guinness Drought, with the big harp on the can. I opened one this evening and waited, then carefully poured it into a glass, and there is very little foam. Almost none, actually. I thought these things were supposed to foam. I've had a few sips anyway but it tastes pretty flat.
I’ve found you have to open the can really fast in order for the nitrogen to release properly. A slow opening can mess up the depressurization in a way that causes the nitrogen to escape into the air instead of into the beer.
So what value is attached to a post like this? - Tatanka

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:34 pm

Adam Z wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:26 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:43 pm
I’ve found you have to open the can really fast in order for the nitrogen to release properly. A slow opening can mess up the depressurization in a way that causes the nitrogen to escape into the air instead of into the beer.
I thought I opened it pretty quickly. But thanks, I'll play around with the next one, and make Guinness brownies with this first one.
The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year, but rather that we should have a new soul.

G. K. Chesterton

sweetandsour

Re:

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:14 pm

LushMojo wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm
Gabriel wrote:
LushMojo wrote:Old-fashioned.
Assuming this is a well-crafted Old Fashioned (rather than these cheap fizzy things some folks pass of as Old Fashioneds), I am exceptionally jealous.

This whole "no alcohol" condition is driving me nuts.
I only know how to make two drinks - a Martini and an Old-Fashioned. My wife makes killer margs. Between that, Guinness and single-malts we do our best to keep the industry going. Oh, and a we're never without a few good bottles of red on hand.

I can't do "no alcohol" condition. They told me the same thing down at AA. I just laughed at 'em and walked out.

(We did cut back for Lent, mind you.)
"Red", wine I presume? I'm with you except for the Guinness of late. Just can't seem to find a decent Guinness around these parts. BTW one of the best draft Guinness I ever had was at a spot up fairly near you, in Redmond.

Also btw, and this question is for everyone, what is the "correct" wine to go with asparagus, seeing as how it's asparagus season now. I also posed this question to the experts at NYT cooking, but have yet to receive a reply.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: Re:

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:14 pm
LushMojo wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
Assuming this is a well-crafted Old Fashioned (rather than these cheap fizzy things some folks pass of as Old Fashioneds), I am exceptionally jealous.

I only know how to make two drinks - a Martini and an Old-Fashioned. My wife makes killer margs. Between that, Guinness and single-malts we do our best to keep the industry going. Oh, and a we're never without a few good bottles of red on hand.

I can't do "no alcohol" condition. They told me the same thing down at AA. I just laughed at 'em and walked out.

"Red", wine I presume? I'm with you except for the Guinness of late. Just can't seem to find a decent Guinness around these parts. BTW one of the best draft Guinness I ever had was at a spot up fairly near you, in Redmond.

Also btw, and this question is for everyone, what is the "correct" wine to go with asparagus, seeing as how it's asparagus season now. I also posed this question to the experts at NYT cooking, but have yet to receive a reply.
Wine to accompany asparagus?
Unless asparagus is the main course I'd pair it with the main course.
If asparagus is the main course, it's whatever you enjoy.
With asparagus as the headliner, I'd tend towards Buena Vista Chardonnay, which also happens to be on sale at Costco.
Hunkered down behind enemy lines in California

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:25 pm

Right now, a Bogle Merlot.
Bogle, hmmm.....

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 am

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

With asparagus as the headliner, I'd tend towards Buena Vista Chardonnay, which also happens to be on sale at Costco.
Thanks. I was thinking savignon blanc perhaps. I made a pasta dish with asparagus and green peas.

G. K. Chesterton

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:09 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:01 am
Hovannes wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:22 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
LushMojo wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Thanks. I was thinking savignon blanc perhaps. I made a pasta dish with asparagus and green peas.
That sounds delicious!