What are you drinking?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:13 pm

2003 Gallo Reserve Merlot - Sonoma
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:12 pm

1.5oz of bulleit bourbon
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:15 pm

alchemyhunter wrote:1.5oz of bulleit bourbon
You measure it, do you?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

CycleBrewer
Usher
Usher

Post by CycleBrewer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:19 pm

Without measurement we would be relegated to savagery. Cheers, to all concerned.

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:03 pm

A_Morley wrote:
alchemyhunter wrote:1.5oz of bulleit bourbon
You measure it, do you?
believe me....i have a good eye for guestimating the volume of 1 jigger
Our whole life is startlingly moral. There is never an instant's truce between virtue and vice. Goodness is the only investment that never fails. H.D. Thoreau

Briarfox
Brother of the Bum Blocks
Brother of the Bum Blocks

Post by Briarfox » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:30 pm

Macallan 15yr Scotch

bean_counter
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage
Assesor of Mental Health Coverage

Post by bean_counter » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:54 pm

Aberlour 10 year single malt.

not a great bottle, but not bad, and cheap enough to drink regularly (as moerately as we drink, anyway).

the 15 year sherry finish is much better, but at a price.

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:58 pm

Went for a beer tonight, then settled on some 5 year old Chardonnay.. now it's water..
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Dewage for the moment. But yesterday's "dump the extra amaretto in the tea" went so well that I might have to put the kettle on.
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

TweednBriar
A Majority Text Kinda Guy

Post by TweednBriar » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:06 pm

Sikkim tea, neither milk nor sugar added.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Further musings on Moxie, the world's most perfect soda-pop.

A while back I had bought a bottle of Moxie to have with my lunch. The only Moxie that I am able to get in this part of the country is bottled by a gormet soda concern called RealSodas based out of California, and not the historic Maine company which bottles all other Moxie as sold on the East Coast. I had had no problems with this version, given that it had always tasted right and they even had the decency to continue to provide the soda in glass bottles. The bottle that I purchased that day, though, was different. It simply didn't taste right. I had a suspicion and that was enough for me to become outraged. I found the web address for RealSodas and sent them the following email:

There may be a problem. I won't go over the edge just yet. For now, just be straight with me. Have you custodians of the single greatest soda ever changed the flavour of Moxie? I have been buying Moxie for years, when you people took over the distribution in this area, I was a tad reluctant about the arrangement, but decided to judge you on the quality of the product and your remaining true to Moxie, one of the oldest sodas on the market today, I might add.

For a while, all seemed well, but these last few bottles I have purchased have been off. Not nearly so bitter and herbal as Moxie has always been. Have you people done something stupid like changing the formula to suit modern, west coast standards. If you have, so help me God, I will go crazy-nuts and I will find you. Oh, yes, I will find you.

Fondest regards,
Alastair M. Jaques

I recieved an immediate response assuring me that they had not changed the flavor in any way. The even did a full inspection of the factory to make syre that all of their equipment was clean and not affecting the flavor. Now that's service. I would like to see the so's-and-so's from Mountain Dew do as much.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:06 pm

A_Morley wrote:Further musings on Moxie, the worlds most perfect soda-pop.

A while back I had bought a bottle of Moxie to have with my lunch. The only Moxie that I am able to get in this part of the country is bottled by a gormet soda concern called RealSodas based out of California, and not the historic Maine company which bottles all other Moxie as sold on the East Coast. I had had no problems with this version, given that it had always tasted right and they even had the decency to continue to provide the soda in glass bottles. The bottle that I purchased that day, though, was different. It simply didn't taste right. I had a suspicion and that was enough for me to become outraged. I found the web address for RealSodas and sent them the following email:

There may be a problem. I won't go over the edge just yet. For now, just be straight with me. Have you custodians of the single greatest soda ever changed the flavour of Moxie? I have been buying Moxie for years, when you people took over the distribution in this area, I was a tad reluctant about the arrangement, but decided to judge you on the quality of the product and your remaining true to Moxie, one of the oldest sodas on the market today, I might add.

For a while, all seemed well, but these last few bottles I have purchased have been off. Not nearly so bitter and herbal as Moxie has always been. Have you people done something stupid like changing the formula to suit modern, west coast standards. If you have, so help me God, I will go crazy-nuts and I will find you. Oh, yes, I will find you.

Fondest regards,
Alastair M. Jaques

I recieved an immediate response assuring me that they had not changed the flavor in any way. The even did a full inspection of the factory to make syre that all of their equipment was clean and not affecting the flavor. Now that's service. I would like to see the so's-and-so's from Mountain Dew do as much.
:lol:

If we had a post Hall of Fame, this one would be in it.

Dug
Biff
Biff

Post by Dug » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:26 pm

A_Morley wrote:Further musings on Moxie, the world's most perfect soda-pop.
I wouldn't have pegged you as a Nerve Food junkie, AMJ.

As someone culpably ignorant of the pleasures of Moxie, I'd love to have a description of the taste, if you're up to it.

Munkey
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Post by Munkey » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:34 pm

It appears my local beverage super mart stocks 5 Moxie sodas, including the Original Elixir. I'll have to pick some up next time I'm there.

Right now I'm enjoying a cup of Earl Gray while smoking.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:36 pm

Dug wrote:
A_Morley wrote:Further musings on Moxie, the world's most perfect soda-pop.
I wouldn't have pegged you as a Nerve Food junkie, AMJ.

As someone culpably ignorant of the pleasures of Moxie, I'd love to have a description of the taste, if you're up to it.
Well, who would be a typical Nerve Food Junkie, I would like to know?

Nevertheless, for those of you who have never had the pleasure, I imagine that the flavor of Moxie could best be described as a combination of root beer, coffee, and milkweed. Lord, but it is wonderful. What more could you want? That, and it has a stern looking man pointing at you on the lable. None of this sex-appeal nonsense. None of this 'let's make something that we know people will like' mularkey. No! You make something and then you force people to like it with good old overbearing Victorian morality and using alliterative terms like 'vim' and 'vigor'.

California is ruining everything.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:30 pm

A_Morley wrote:California is ruining everything.
A couple things remain passable...

2005 Frei Bros. Redwood Creek California Cabernet Sauvignon

TweednBriar

Post by TweednBriar » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:34 pm

Skip wrote:

No prostate problems then?

alchemyhunter
Bacon Samich
Bacon Samich

Post by alchemyhunter » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:35 pm

2005 Cecchi Chianti

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:00 pm

UncleBob wrote:I am about to imbibe a wee dram of THE GOAT; a pineapple habernero mead.

-UB
Ibid.

Skip

Post by Skip » Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:13 pm

TweednBriar wrote:
Skip wrote:

No prostate problems then?
:D

And an update -- Glenlivet 12, whilst burning DVDs from the last wedding I shot. Finally.