The Climate Change Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Re: The Climate Change Thread

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am

Just a few decades ago, the parents and grandparents of the billions of people now living in China & India road horse carriages or bicycles. Now, all of them are driving cars and burning coal. There has never before in earth's history been so many people on this blue marble burning fossil fuels. This is the elephant in the room few folks want to acknowledge. Because we also have a global economy dependent on burning fossil fuels. And stock portfolios dependent on fossil fuels. There's nothing that can stop or slow down global warming save a global economic collapse.

"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am
Just a few decades ago, the parents and grandparents of the billions of people now living in China & India road horse carriages or bicycles. Now, all of them are driving cars and burning coal. There has never before in earth's history been so many people on this blue marble burning fossil fuels. This is the elephant in the room few folks want to acknowledge. Because we also have a global economy dependent on burning fossil fuels. And stock portfolios dependent on fossil fuels. There's nothing that can stop or slow down global warming save a global economic collapse.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:43 am

tuttle wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 am
Goose55 wrote:
We might try a global WWIII that would kill off a few billion. That would help a lot.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am

Goose55 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:43 am
tuttle wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
We might try a global WWIII that would kill off a few billion. That would help a lot.
Can't tell if this is trolling.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 pm

Jester wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am
Goose55 wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
It is. Goose leads by example, you see. He'd be dead if he were serious.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Yes we have exploited the pale blue dot.
Population growing at an unprecedented rate.
Recourses declining.
The one superpower (assuming we still are) lead by a carnival barker.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 am

Well, at least as far as beer is concerned, we may dodge a bullet...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... g-just-yet
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Goose55
King of Kraut
King of Kraut

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 pm
Jester wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am
Goose55 wrote:
tuttle wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
It is. Goose leads by example, you see. He'd be dead if he were serious.
It's good to be dead. The next thing we know is the face of God.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:25 pm

The Weirdly Quiet Sun May Get Even Quieter (and BTW, Earth Is Still Warming)

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Weird ... at6-widget
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 pm

Goose55 wrote:

As long as we are paleo-posting.....

AOC's "Green New Deal" is just ignorant-millennial politics.

America is already the leading First-World nation in reducing carbon emissions. But it doesn't matter, no matter what we do.

America could cease existing entirely -- no living, farming, driving, manufacturing. All of us -- gone. It won't make any difference.

The ecosystem will still react however it damn well pleases, due to the increased fossil fuel consumption of China and India.

America is just 360 million people.

India is the population of America, plus 1 billion.

China is the population of America, plus India.
=========================================

However, there is still lots of hope that those climate models that the leftist politicians paid for aren't as accurate as those politicians say.
Last edited by Del on Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist

Post by hugodrax » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:20 pm

You have an entire forum you morons could play in without making me privy to your political musings. Why isnt that enough?
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:27 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:20 pm
You have an entire forum you morons could play in without making me privy to your political musings. Why isnt that enough?
I fail to see how this is political.
I was picking up the sunspot/warming connection posts that appeared earlier.

Or maybe you didn’t intend to include my post in your comment, drax?

Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs

Post by Del » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sorry. I didn't pay attention to which forum we are in.

"climate change" is a political topic. Only politicians are foolish enough to claim control over the climate.
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:33 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:27 pm
hugodrax wrote:
I fail to see how this is political.
I was picking up the sunspot/warming connection posts that appeared earlier.

Or maybe you didn’t intend to include my post in your comment, drax?
I fail to see how any plain reading of the text would let you conclude you were the recipient, pipe.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:46 pm

That’s what I figured, but thought I'd check.
Some people believe that any discussion of climate change is necessarily political.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:54 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:46 pm
That’s what I figured, but thought I'd check.
Some people believe that any discussion of climate change is necessarily political.
Ah. Got it. Not I, said me.

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:27 am

+JMJ+

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:00 am

I believe the climate changes sometimes, on Earth and on other planets. The end. I bow out.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Earth Needs Fewer People to Beat the Climate Crisis, Scientists Say

From the paper:
Still increasing by roughly 80 million people per year, or more than 200,000 per day (figure 1a–b), the world population must be stabilized—and, ideally, gradually reduced—within a framework that ensures social integrity. There are proven and effective policies that strengthen human rights while lowering fertility rates and lessening the impacts of population growth on GHG emissions and biodiversity loss. These policies make family-planning services available to all people, remove barriers to their access and achieve full gender equity, including primary and secondary education as a global norm for all, especially girls and young women (Bongaarts and O’Neill 2018).
Note their acceptable 'framework that ensures social integrity': Make available to all and remove barriers to abortion. Interestingly they imagine restricting birth via policies (even without abortion) can be done in a way that strengthens human rights. So I guess those humans who believe in their right to have as many children as they please are to be considered outside of their preconceived framework.

But hey, more than 11,000 Experts have signed this so they must know what's best for humanity.
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Del wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 pm
However, there is still lots of hope that those climate models that the <hugodraxerated> paid for aren't as accurate as those <hugodraxerated say.
We can't tell how much snow we're getting this weekend with composites of the very best models, so I don't put much faith in long-range predictions. That's not to say I don't think the climate is changing. It's easy enough to look back and compare conditions last month to conditions in October 1919 and measure the difference. And if we look at the last 100 Octobers we can determine if the rate of change is accelerating or slowing. No models, or even pesky interpreters who are being paid by someone are needed.

Also, some of you guys are coming very close to saying we need to vote a few billion people off the island if we hope to survive. Don't go there. We'll figure it out - there are hundreds of thousands of scientists, professors, students, engineers, and backyard tinkerers working on this.

Also, why do we suppose this particular planet was set up to last forever in the first place? Perhaps 'planned obsolescence" was part of the deal from the get-go.
Last edited by FredS on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe