The Whovian Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts
Inadequately tender breasts
Posts: 6242
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: lost in the bush
Contact:

Post by CaptainMathias » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 am

Bad Wolf :wink:
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38246
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Post by Del » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:59 am

Pepik wrote:
Del wrote:I loved Tom Baker.

David Tennant is my favorite. Almost enough motivation to purchase BBC America.
Netflix has plenty of the the latest (9th almost to date) as well as a selection of Doctors #1 to #7.
I just got a "smart TV."

And I'm working on becoming "smart enough to use it."

This is motivation! I must watch all of David Tenant.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6435
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Post by Pepik » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Del wrote:I just got a "smart TV."

And I'm working on becoming "smart enough to use it."

This is motivation! I must watch all of David Tenant.
Mayest thou enjoy the Journey and the Destination of ye desires in this matter.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts
Inadequately tender breasts
Posts: 6242
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: lost in the bush
Contact:

Post by CaptainMathias » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Pepik wrote:
Del wrote:I just got a "smart TV."

And I'm working on becoming "smart enough to use it."

This is motivation! I must watch all of David Tenant.
Mayest thou enjoy the Journey and the Destination of ye desires in this matter.
David Tenant is the one all the ladies swoon over.
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38246
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Post by Del » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 am

Last night we enjoyed an annual "All Saints Party" -- about 300 Catholic families at a farm-home near Madison.

Big pot-luck dinner, campfire, Packers game on the big TV, beers, toddlers in Cozy Coops, etc.

The little kids dressed up like their favorite saints, and walked a short trail where some big kids, also dressed as saints, told their stories and gave out candy.

But the main event is the Scary Trail -- the teens pull out all of their ingenuity and dramatic skills to put on an fun, dramatic event. This year's theme -- 50 YEARS OF DOCTOR WHO!

They even had the big blue Port-A-Potty decked out like the TARDIS.

We encountered several Doctors on the trail, the scary angel statues from BLINK, the weird monsters from SILENCE, the FACE of BOE, some creepy ghost children and jack-in-the-box toy monsters.... it was awesome!!!!! We were startled by all sorts of whovian villains.

I liked the creepy angel statues best. There was a slow strobe light. Girls in gothic statue make-up and gory angel costumes would move when it was too dark to see, and freeze when the light came on. It was scarier than the TV show!

Sadly.... no Daleks.

I got to enjoy the trail with a cute, just-out-of-college, pipe-smoking friend (the one who captured OldWorldSwine's heart last summer). Also awesome! She is an art teacher.... she made a replica TARDIS for the opening of the trail. Very detailed and beautifully done.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 29162
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:38 am

Del wrote:...I liked the creepy angel statues best. There was a slow strobe light. Girls in gothic statue make-up and gory angel costumes would move when it was too dark to see, and freeze when the light came on. It was scarier than the TV show!
Stop.

Stop it now.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 33275
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Post by John-Boy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:09 am

I don't get it.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

CaptainMathias
Inadequately tender breasts
Inadequately tender breasts
Posts: 6242
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: lost in the bush
Contact:

Post by CaptainMathias » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Del wrote:Last night we enjoyed an annual "All Saints Party" -- about 300 Catholic families at a farm-home near Madison.

Big pot-luck dinner, campfire, Packers game on the big TV, beers, toddlers in Cozy Coops, etc.

The little kids dressed up like their favorite saints, and walked a short trail where some big kids, also dressed as saints, told their stories and gave out candy.

But the main event is the Scary Trail -- the teens pull out all of their ingenuity and dramatic skills to put on an fun, dramatic event. This year's theme -- 50 YEARS OF DOCTOR WHO!

They even had the big blue Port-A-Potty decked out like the TARDIS.

We encountered several Doctors on the trail, the scary angel statues from BLINK, the weird monsters from SILENCE, the FACE of BOE, some creepy ghost children and jack-in-the-box toy monsters.... it was awesome!!!!! We were startled by all sorts of whovian villains.

I liked the creepy angel statues best. There was a slow strobe light. Girls in gothic statue make-up and gory angel costumes would move when it was too dark to see, and freeze when the light came on. It was scarier than the TV show!

Sadly.... no Daleks.

I got to enjoy the trail with a cute, just-out-of-college, pipe-smoking friend (the one who captured OldWorldSwine's heart last summer). Also awesome! She is an art teacher.... she made a replica TARDIS for the opening of the trail. Very detailed and beautifully done.
Jealous
Orjner gur zhttyrf ROT13

User avatar
friar_jay
Usher
Usher
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Middle Peninsula, Virginia

Post by friar_jay » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 pm

Big Finish productions has released a 50th anniversary audio adventure featuring Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann.

I'm hoping to pick it up soon.

Image
http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/release ... nniversary
Grace and Peace to You,
Jason

Facebook | Twitter
Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge - Tabletop Gaming

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Post by nosferatu » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:51 pm

HUGE Whovian here. Actually have pictures of me wearing her Doctor Who designs on Megan Lara's Facebook page (one with a visible pipe as well :P )

User avatar
gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Post by gravel » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 pm

I have tickets to the theater release of the 50th Anniversary special. :-)

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10576
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Post by A_Morley » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 pm

I've been a Whovian since way back. I called myself a Whovian back when I was in high scfhool and nobody knew what it meant. While I like the new series just fine I am, predictably, still loyal to the original.

My favorite Doctor is the First. I act most like the Sixth. I dress most like the current, Matt Smith bloke. I actually stopped wearing a bow tie and have adopted exclusively the Windsor variety because I was tired of dealing with all of the "Doctor Who" cracks.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 4880
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:00 pm

Post by nosferatu » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:21 pm

A_Morley wrote:I've been a Whovian since way back. I called myself a Whovian back when I was in high scfhool and nobody knew what it meant. While I like the new series just fine I am, predictably, still loyal to the original.

My favorite Doctor is the First. I act most like the Sixth. I dress most like the current, Matt Smith bloke. I actually stopped wearing a bow tie and have adopted exclusively the Windsor variety because I was tired of dealing with all of the "Doctor Who" cracks.
You sound bitter about now....

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 38246
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Post by Del » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:32 pm

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart wrote:Just once, I'd like to encounter an alien menace that wasn't impervious to bullets.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
friar_jay
Usher
Usher
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Middle Peninsula, Virginia

Post by friar_jay » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:27 pm

For those who have been under a rock and haven't seen the two new mini-sodes.

The Night of the Doctor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

The Last Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eem2Ehq_xBI
Grace and Peace to You,
Jason

Facebook | Twitter
Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge - Tabletop Gaming

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16278
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Post by gaining_age » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Who are you?!

A good show... fun to watch. I'll have to check it again to see if it followed a clean story line. Just enjoyed the ride on the first watching.

(The Pandorica left me disappointed per plot holes--- Steve may have redeemed himself on this one).

G.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Eric
VapeHead
VapeHead
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Its strange to see Who so mainstream. I seemed on the lunatic fringe watching Who in the 80's. Now everyone and their mother is so into it.

User avatar
gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
Posts: 16278
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Post by gaining_age » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:46 pm

Eric wrote:Its strange to see Who so mainstream. I seemed on the lunatic fringe watching Who in the 80's. Now everyone and their mother is so into it.
Yer mom?
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof
Posts: 9925
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: University of Mars

Post by AFRS » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:40 pm

A_Morley wrote: My favorite Doctor is the First. I act most like the Sith.

Um... Right.

Nothing to see here. Carry on.

:twisted:

User avatar
friar_jay
Usher
Usher
Posts: 328
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Middle Peninsula, Virginia

Post by friar_jay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Eric wrote:Its strange to see Who so mainstream. I seemed on the lunatic fringe watching Who in the 80's. Now everyone and their mother is so into it.
I agree. I grew up watching Doctor Who back in the late 80's/early 90's on Maryland Public Television (MPT)...a lot less fan girls.
Grace and Peace to You,
Jason

Facebook | Twitter
Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge - Tabletop Gaming

Post Reply