The Whovian Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:57 pm

friar_jay wrote:
Eric wrote:Its strange to see Who so mainstream. I seemed on the lunatic fringe watching Who in the 80's. Now everyone and their mother is so into it.
I agree. I grew up watching Doctor Who back in the late 80's/early 90's on Maryland Public Television (MPT)...a lot less fan girls.
The reboot is extremely well done -- writing, acting, production, everything. It has earned its current fan base.

The 70's and 80's -- the show was well written and clever, but the budget was lean. And it never quite forgot that it was supposed to be a children's adventure story. So it had a quirky feel that attracted us fringe-types.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:55 am

gravel wrote:I have tickets to the theater release of the 50th Anniversary special. :-)
Also, it was in 3D. That was fun. I won't mention the content more than saying there were plenty of surprises because, spoilers. As for the fans present, I saw more Tom Bakeresque scarves than I saw bow-ties and fezzes.

friar_jay
Usher
Usher

Post by friar_jay » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:55 am

gravel wrote:
gravel wrote:I have tickets to the theater release of the 50th Anniversary special. :-)
Also, it was in 3D. That was fun. I won't mention the content more than saying there were plenty of surprises because, spoilers. As for the fans present, I saw more Tom Bakeresque scarves than I saw bow-ties and fezzes.
Seeing it on the big screen was priceless, and seeing it with the wife and kids just topped the cake. I was very impressed with the quality of the 3D. At the showing I went to I was sporting the only 20ft Tom Baker scarf but there was LOTS of fezzes...and sonic screwdrivers.
Grace and Peace to You,
Jason

Facebook | Twitter
Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge - Tabletop Gaming

gaining_age
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by gaining_age » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:03 am

Anyone recommend a "first best episode" to introduce a friend to Doctor Who?

I'm thinking Blink... positives: great writing and plot line. Negatives-- not too much of the doctor and companion.

Another option is the intensity of the 9th doctor (I think Eccleston got less notoriety than he deserves for kicking off the renewal so hugely) when he declares he's going to rescue Rose in Bad Wolf---
Or maybe just the clip to share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5Z15IKZIY8

Dalek: Alert! Alert! We are detected!
Dalek: It is the Doctor. He has located us. Open communications channel!
Dalek: The female will stand! Stand!
(the communications channel opens)
Dalek: I will talk to the Doctor.
Ninth Doctor: Oh, will you? That's nice. Hello!
Dalek: The Dalek stratagem nears completion. The fleet is almost ready. You will not intervene.
Ninth Doctor: Oh, really? Why's that then?
Dalek: We have your associate! You will obey or she will be exterminated!
Ninth Doctor: ... No.
(everyone present, Daleks included, turn and stare at the Doctor)
Dalek: Explain yourself!
Ninth Doctor: I said no.
Dalek: What is the meaning of this negative!?
Ninth Doctor: It means "No".
Dalek: But. She. Will. Be. Destroyed!
Ninth Doctor: No! 'Cause this is what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna rescue her! I'm gonna save Rose Tyler from the middle of the Dalek fleet! Then I'm gonna save the Earth! Then, just to finish off, I'm gonna wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky!
Dalek: But you have no weapons! No defences! No plan!
Ninth Doctor: Yeah. And doesn't that scare you to death? ...Rose?
Rose: Yes, Doctor?
Ninth Doctor: I'm coming to get you.
"Bad Wolf"
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:07 am

gaining_age wrote:Anyone recommend a "first best episode" to introduce a friend to Doctor Who?

I'm thinking Blink... positives: great writing and plot line. Negatives-- not too much of the doctor and companion.

Another option is the intensity of the 9th doctor (I think Eccleston got less notoriety than he deserves for kicking off the renewal so hugely) when he declares he's going to rescue Rose in Bad Wolf---

Dalek: The Dalek stratagem nears completion. The fleet is almost ready. You will not intervene.
Ninth Doctor: No! 'Cause this is what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna rescue her! I'm gonna save Rose Tyler from the middle of the Dalek fleet! Then I'm gonna save the Earth! Then, just to finish off, I'm gonna wipe every last stinking Dalek out of the sky!
"Bad Wolf"
Blink
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

friar_jay
Usher
Usher

Post by friar_jay » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:41 pm

According to a poll done by the official Doctor Who Magazine (issue #413) the all-time fan favorite episode is the Fifth Doctor's swan song, The Caves of Androzani.

If you're unfamiliar with this particular episode here's a link to a trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjH_hZZhaXw

The synopsis:
Doctor Who and his companion Peri arrive on the planet Androzani Minyr, and are soon entangled in a dark plot involving gun-running, drug-smuggling, and android duplicates. At the climax of the story, dying from poison, the Doctor has to regenerate to save his own life, but saves the life of Peri in the process.
Here's a copy/paste of the top ten...
1. THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI (1984) starring PETER DAVISON
2. BLINK (2007) starring DAVID TENNANT
3. GENESIS OF THE DALEKS (1975) starring TOM BAKER
4. THE TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG (1977) starring TOM BAKER
5. THE EMPTY CHILD (2005) starring CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON
6. HUMAN NATURE (2007) starring DAVID TENNANT
7. PYRAMIDS OF MARS (1975) starring TOM BAKER
8. CITY OF DEATH (1979) starring TOM BAKER
9. THE ROBOTS OF DEATH (1977) starring TOM BAKER
10. BAD WOLF (2005) starring CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON
That said I realize that I didn't answer what episode is a good introduction. But, there's a reason why this are considered the best. What better way to introduce a potential Whovian, or even a new Whovian, to the greatness of Doctor Who.

Personally I try to introduce potential Whovians to the "classic" series before the "new" run. Mostly because while I like the the visuals and such of the newer stuff a lot of the episodes seem rushed where as during the "classic" era the powers that be took their time to tell a story instead of always cramming it into a 45 minute window.
Grace and Peace to You,
Jason

Facebook | Twitter
Virginia Middle Peninsula Pipe Community
Wood Planet Gaming Lodge - Tabletop Gaming

nosferatu
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by nosferatu » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:57 am

gaining_age wrote:Anyone recommend a "first best episode" to introduce a friend to Doctor Who?

"Bad Wolf"
My thought is honestly "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances." Or "Vincent and the Doctor."

gaining_age

Post by gaining_age » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Great answers!

Blink! is definitely a classic. Went with that and sure enough there is interest in more-- so we watched the first episode of the kickoff-- Rose.

I think I've kick started another fan. :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:

gaining_age

Re: The Whovian Thread

Post by gaining_age » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 pm

I thought we had another thread but this one will do.

I was hesitant about how the first female Doctor would go.

As it turns out, I should have been much more concerned about the writer/director change for this season. They've been awful-- absolutely awful. I think it is so bad that they are on the verge of killing the show. They gave the poor Doctor absentminded and silly behavior poor actress, Jodi, little to work with. She seems quite capable actress but has the character on the verge of dimwitted due to the dialogue in the script.

The New Year's Day episode was one of the worst. They have an engineer among them and when he's offered a chance to explore space and time and travel in the TARDIS he declines. WHAT?! No interest in physics, engineering of the craft or what other time and space may be like-- just a quiet decline.

There's been little emotional connection among the companions-- the closest is the old guy which, with his lines and approach, seems like he is actually the Doctor in disguise. That's not the fault of Jodi-- it's the writing.

This season has been bad. I'm concerned the show will lose its following. It's possible we've passed the golden age of the reboot and we may be headed toward the dark ages. With this content I cannot support my reasons for having BBCAmerica in my channel lineup.

Change had better be on the horizon or the Fizzle is coming.
The 6s of 1st John:

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:40 pm

The very best Who is still Cindy Lou....

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:33 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:22 pm
I thought we had another thread but this one will do.

I was hesitant about how the first female Doctor would go.

As it turns out, I should have been much more concerned about the writer/director change for this season. They've been awful-- absolutely awful. I think it is so bad that they are on the verge of killing the show. They gave the poor Doctor absentminded and silly behavior poor actress, Jodi, little to work with. She seems quite capable actress but has the character on the verge of dimwitted due to the dialogue in the script.

The New Year's Day episode was one of the worst. They have an engineer among them and when he's offered a chance to explore space and time and travel in the TARDIS he declines. WHAT?! No interest in physics, engineering of the craft or what other time and space may be like-- just a quiet decline.

There's been little emotional connection among the companions-- the closest is the old guy which, with his lines and approach, seems like he is actually the Doctor in disguise. That's not the fault of Jodi-- it's the writing.

This season has been bad. I'm concerned the show will lose its following. It's possible we've passed the golden age of the reboot and we may be headed toward the dark ages. With this content I cannot support my reasons for having BBCAmerica in my channel lineup.

Change had better be on the horizon or the Fizzle is coming.
And the next season starts in 2020, great. Maybe they will get this figured out, meanwhile I am watching Doctors 1 thru 8 on Britbox. I am up to #3 Pertwee.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech