I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:59 pm

+JMJ+

Digging deeper into ‘Amoris Laetitia’
Dr Rocio Figueroa

The inclusion of the Argentinian bishops’ guidelines on Communion for civilly remarried Catholic divorcees in “Acta Apostolicae Sedis”, the official record of Vatican documents and acts may clarify chapter 8 of Pope Francis’ Amoris Laetitia but it will not end the controversy surrounding it.

Peruvian theologian Dr Rocio Figueroa, systematic theology lecturer at Good Shepherd College in Ponsonby, said while this might shed light on some issues raised against the exhortation, she does not think it will not [sic] silence the critics.

[…]

“It clarifies his posture,” Dr Figueroa said. “But he already published that letter. And all the people read the guidelines of the Argentinians.”

She said those, mostly theologians, who have a very rigid interpretation of Church teachings will struggle with the fact that there are exceptions to the rule.

“They will have to accept (the Pope’s decision),” she said. “But they need time to assimilate the truth.”

[…]

“When some people say ‘it’s not clear’, ‘it’s confusing’, for me, it is most clear!” said the Peruvian theologian.

[…]

Does Amoris Laetitia open the floodgates for the remarried divorcees to receive communion? No, said Dr Figueroa.

Does it close the possibility for civilly remarried divorcees to receive communion? No, she said.

There is a process of discernment, not just by the person in the sinful situation but also the person’s priest. If the person’s sin is discerned as not having one of the three conditions for it to be mortal sin (grave matter, full knowledge and deliberate consent), then he can receive the Eucharist.

[…]

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 pm

+JMJ+

In Chile, apocalyptic pope gives Catholic universities a mission
Pope Francis, center, is flanked at right by Ignacio Sanchez Diaz, dean of the Pontifical Catholic University of Chile in Santiago, Chile, and by Cardinal Ricardo Ezzati Andrello, as he arrives for his meeting Wednesday, Jan.17, 2018. (Credit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino.)

SANTIAGO, Chile - In the august surroundings of Chile’s pontifical Catholic University, Pope Francis on Wednesday night gave one of the smartest addresses of his pontificate, one that gives Catholic educational institutions a clear direction for our times.

As I’ve often pointed out, Francis is, if not gloomy, certainly apocalyptic about these times. He believes contemporary society increasingly faces a life-or-death choice.

He sees the technology-driven forces of globalized postmodernity dissolving the bonds of belonging, sweeping away institutions and turning us into consuming individuals obsessed with gratification and increasingly divorced from cultural and religious roots.

In such a society, as he put it in Santiago, “points of reference that people use to build themselves individually and socially are disappearing,” such that “the new meeting place today is the “cloud, characterized by instability since everything evaporates and thus loses consistency.”

“Without the ‘us’ of a people, of a family and of a nation, but also the ‘us’ of the future, of our children and of tomorrow, without the ‘us’ of a city that transcends ‘me’ and is richer than individual interests, life will be not only increasingly fragmented, but also more conflictual and violent,” Francis said.

The mission of the university, in this context, is to generate what Francis called “educational processes that are transformative, inclusive and which foster coexistence.” That sounds fairly banal, but Francis makes clear that by “processes” he doesn’t mean content, but teaching a new way of reasoning and thinking “in an integrated way” - a forma mentis.

The term he uses for this in Spanish is alfabetización integradora, a new kind of literacy that enables people to think in an integrating way.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:14 pm

+JMJ+

Pope gives support to controversial bishop in Chile, says accusations “calumny”
Bishop Juan Barros, first from right, arrives to attend a Mass celebrated by Pope Francis at the Maquehue Airport in Temuco, Chile, Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018. (Credit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino.)

IQUIQUE, Chile - During his trip to Chile, one of the questions that loomed large was the situation of Bishop Juan Barros, who is accused by victims of sexual abuse of covering up the abuse by a popular preacher years ago. Yet on Thursday, the pope said that he’s yet to see evidence of wrongdoing, and that what’s being said against the bishop is a “calumny.”

“The day I’m presented with proof against Bishop Barros, I will see,” Francis told journalists as he arrived in Iquique, in northern Chile, to celebrate his last Mass on Chilean soil.

“There’s not a single proof against him, it’s all a calumny,” the pope said.

Barros, together with at least three other bishops who today serve in the Chilean episcopacy, have been accused of turning a blind eye to acts of abuse by victims of Father Fernando Karadima, once considered the preacher of Santiago’s elite, but who in 2011 was found guilty of sexually abusing minors over decades.

In 2015 Francis caused an uproar when he decided to transfer Barros to the southern city of Osorno, from his previous post of being bishop of the Chilean armed forces.

[…]

Earlier on Thursday, when he arrived in Iquique, Barros was questioned by journalists and said that “the Holy Father was very affectionate with me and supportive.”

The bishop also said that the pontiff had given him “words of encouragement” after the demonstrations against him that took place throughout the visit.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:26 am

+JMJ+

Pope regrets word choice on abuse in Chile, but stands by contested bishop
Pope Francis talks with journalists during his flight from Lima, Peru, to Rome, Sunday, Jan. 21, 2018. (Credit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino.)

ON BOARD THE PAPAL PLANE – Returning to Rome from a sometimes contentious six-day trip to Latin America, Pope Francis said he regretted the language he used along the way regarding sexual abuse victims who have accused a Chilean bishop of covering up their abuse, but did not back down from his support for that bishop.

Francis said he’s convinced of the innocence of Chilean Bishop Juan Barros, who has been accused by survivors of covering up cases of sexual abuse by infamous Chilean priest Fernando Karadima, who was found guilty by a church process in 2011.

Barros “will stay in his post, I cannot condemn him without evidence,” the pope said during the flight from Peru to Rome.
“I personally am convinced that he’s innocent,” Francis said.

The pope did, however, express regret for how he made that point in Chile.

[…]

The pope said he’d had the Barros case investigated, and the conclusion was “there’s no evidence.”

“There’s no evidence, no proof of guilt,” the pope insisted. “I wait for the evidence to change the way I lean. Until then, I apply the juridical principle of any tribunal: Innocent until proven guilty.”

“The Barros case was studied, and studied again, and there was no evidence,” he insisted. “This is what I meant. I have no evidence to condemn him. And if I were to condemn him without evidence or moral certainty, I would commit the crime of [being] a bad judge.”

Referring to the declarations he gave to the journalist, Francis said the word “proof” probably “wasn’t the best word to approach a wounded heart.”

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 am

+JMJ+

The colors of the rainbow may be beginning to bleed, as knives seem to be sharpening in some, perhaps, unexpected quarters.

Francis' commitment to abuse survivors in question
Pope Francis listens to a question from a journalist aboard his flight from Lima, Peru, to Rome Jan. 21. (CNS/Paul Haring)

[…]

Within the space of four days, Pope Francis twice slandered abuse survivors. On the papal flight from Peru Jan. 21, he again called testimony against Chilean Bishop Juan Barros Madrid "calumny." Despite at least three survivors' public accounts to the contrary, he also again said he had not seen evidence of Barros' involvement in a cover-up to protect notorious abuser Fr. Fernando Karadima.

These remarks are at the least shameful. At the most, they suggest that Francis now could be complicit in the cover-up. …

[…]

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 am

wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 am
+JMJ+

The colors of the rainbow may be beginning to bleed, as knives seem to be sharpening in some, perhaps, unexpected quarters.

Pope Francis listens to a question from a journalist aboard his flight from Lima, Peru, to Rome Jan. 21. (CNS/Paul Haring)

[…]

Within the space of four days, Pope Francis twice slandered abuse survivors. On the papal flight from Peru Jan. 21, he again called testimony against Chilean Bishop Juan Barros Madrid "calumny." Despite at least three survivors' public accounts to the contrary, he also again said he had not seen evidence of Barros' involvement in a cover-up to protect notorious abuser Fr. Fernando Karadima.

These remarks are at the least shameful. At the most, they suggest that Francis now could be complicit in the cover-up. …

[…]
Fascinating.

National Catholic Reporter views "the hierarchy" and their "traditional Catholic values" as the greatest enemy to everything that liberal American Catholics love. And they claim the sexual abuse and coverups as proof that they are right.

(Of course, the trad Catholics insist that those liberal values were the cause of the abuse, which is why the incidents of sexual abuse began appearing in the '60's.)

This is about the only thing that all Catholics agree on -- the abuse and coverups were awful, and we will not tolerate it.

Pope Francis's lame excuse that "there is no evidence of wrongdoing" by the bishop is going to cost him credibility on all sides.

We demand positive evidence that the bishop acted swiftly and directly as soon as he was informed of credible accusations of abuse in his diocese. If not, then we hold the bishop negligent in his duty to the families in his care. Pope Francis shouldn't hitch to this horse, leaving all of his other wagons behind.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:13 am

Del wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 am
wosbald wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 am
+JMJ+

[…]

[…]
Fascinating.

National Catholic Reporter views "the hierarchy" and their "traditional Catholic values" as the greatest enemy to everything that liberal American Catholics love. And they claim the sexual abuse and coverups as proof that they are right.

(Of course, the trad Catholics insist that those liberal values were the cause of the abuse, which is why the incidents of sexual abuse began appearing in the '60's.)

This is about the only thing that all Catholics agree on -- the abuse and coverups were awful, and we will not tolerate it.

Pope Francis's lame excuse that "there is no evidence of wrongdoing" by the bishop is going to cost him credibility on all sides.

We demand positive evidence that the bishop acted swiftly and directly as soon as he was informed of credible accusations of abuse in his diocese. If not, then we hold the bishop negligent in his duty to the families in his care. Pope Francis shouldn't hitch to this horse, leaving all of his other wagons behind.
Do you have a cat, Del?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 am
Pope Francis's lame excuse …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:25 am

+JMJ+

Francis’s defense of Barros may not satisfy victims, but it’s the right thing to do
Osornos Bishop Juan Barros smiles as he leaves the altar after Mass was celebrated by Pope Francis on Lobito Beach in Iquique, Chile, Thursday, Jan. 18, 2018. Many Chileans are furious over Francis's 2015 decision to appoint Barros, a bishop close to Fernando Karadima, whom the Vatican found guilty in 2011 of abusing dozens of minors over decades. Barros has always denied he knew what Karadima was doing when he was the priest's protege, a position that many Chileans have a hard time believing. (Credit: Alessandra Tarantino/AP.)

Pope Francis’s defense of his actions over the Chilean Bishop Juan Barros on the flight from Lima will not be enough to satisfy victims there and their supporters elsewhere, but it is wholly consistent with everything he has said and done so far.

But that raises another question: Whether his stance - appointing and keeping in place a bishop accused of the cover-up of abuse - is consistent with a policy designed to prevent abuse and deal properly with failures to act against perpetrators.

[…]

Victimhood doesn’t just elicit sympathy; it lends credibility, and confers moral authority. So, despite the fact that the bishops consistently and firmly deny that they witnessed Karadima’s abuse (and, in the case of Barros, that he ever received a letter detailing that abuse while serving as secretary to Cardinal Juan Francisco Fresno of Santiago), and despite no verified evidence in any civil or canonical case so far that the bishops are lying, the charges against them have stuck in the media.

So great is this assumption that anyone familiar with the writings on the scapegoat mechanism of René Girard should hear some alarms bells.

[…]

There is no inconsistency. He is acting to defend a clear Gospel principle, which underlies the western assumption of innocence in our judicial system - precisely to prevent the injustices that can come about in the scapegoat mechanism.

It’s not an approach that will win him applause. But it is, arguably, the only policy a pope can have.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:45 am

Jimmy crack and I don’t care.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:45 am
No, no, no. It's "Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care." An admirable sentiment if properly expressed.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am
Thunktank wrote:
No, no, no. It's "Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care." An admirable sentiment if properly expressed.
You’re wrong and the Massa is dead too.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
My, my. Have we failed again?

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:06 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Lol! I don’t know, have you?

The church hierarchy sure does when it comes to sexual abuse though. Again and again from one corner of the world to the next. I’m waiting to see if bishop Barros gets a promotion next. I lied, I do care.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:36 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

The church hierarchy sure does when it comes to sexual abuse though. Again and again from one corner of the world to the next. I’m waiting to see if bishop Barros gets a promotion next. I lied, I do care.
There's a church in Rome that needs a new pastor, now that Cardinal Law has passed away.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm

Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Lol. Every day I screw something up. Luckily, my wife is usually there to tell me.

I'm with you, btw. The church doesn't root out and pillory the people that need it. Turn them over to the secular arm and let justice take its course.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:47 pm
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Lol. Every day I screw something up. Luckily, my wife is usually there to tell me.

I'm with you, btw. The church doesn't root out and pillory the people that need it. Turn them over to the secular arm and let justice take its course.
Do you know any expensive lawyers they could turn to for salvation?

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Del wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

No, but I can introduce them to a putz in Wisconsin that isn't quite as bright as he thinks he is.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

No, but I can introduce them to a putz in Wisconsin that isn't quite as bright as he thinks he is.
Who, me?

I don't even try to be bright.

Mostly, I just state the obvious.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:09 am

Del wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:23 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:57 pm
Del wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

Who, me?

I don't even try to be bright.

Mostly, I just state the obvious.
Don't be so vain, my friend. Nor sell yourself so short. I've never thought you to state the obvious.

I meant Father Greiten.