I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:01 pm

Pope Francis sets up committee against child sex abuse
Pope Francis on Thursday formed a committee to fight child sex abuse in the Catholic Church in a landmark initiative after thousands of abuses and cover-ups, but campaigners said the new body would be "toothless".

While the composition and precise tasks of the committee are yet to be established, the Vatican said it could vet future priests and establish codes of conduct and guidelines for responding to allegations.

It could also propose ways of offering pastoral care to victims of abuse and look at ensuring greater cooperation between religious and lay investigators — a key bone of contention in many of the abuse scandals.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:26 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:21 pm

OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

Post by OldWorldSwine » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Has Pope Francis called for a dramatic re-think of the way the Church treats the children of homosexual couples?

http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-ak ... -8-things/
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:16 pm

The attention that the world has given to our new Pope is heart-warming.

But if you really care about Pope Francis and what he has to say, you should take care to look at sources from the Vatican and reliable Catholic reporting.

Do not put much trust in secular news sources, what they choose to report and how they try to spin it. Even the professional secular news sources with good intentions often fail to get it right.

HuffPo only reports their own agenda, and somehow Pope Francis (and everyone else) always seem to support them.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 am

Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 am

Pope Francis: Don’t Call Me Superman
Pope Francis has called the overwhelming hype around his papacy “offensive,” describing himself as a “normal person” like everybody else.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 am

UncleBob wrote:Pope Francis: Don’t Call Me Superman
Pope Francis has called the overwhelming hype around his papacy “offensive,” describing himself as a “normal person” like everybody else.
This story was the jibber-jabber on Catholic radio this morning.

When Pope Francis accepted the election of the conclave, a great many thoughts passed through his head.

"What will I do if the world's secular press falls madly in love with me and tries to make me into a hero?" was not one of those thoughts.

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 am

Sooo, a couple of weeks ago I was on retreat with the Benedictine Monks at Conception Abbey. One morning when we were eating breakfast Father Albert stopped by our table to visit. One of the ladies in our non-Catholic group commented about the new Pope and all the good press he was getting. I said there will come a time when he does or says something that the press doesn't like and the honeymoon will be over. Father Albert - a normally well spoken man - nodded and said 'You got that right'.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:39 am

FredS wrote:Sooo, a couple of weeks ago I was on retreat with the Benedictine Monks at Conception Abbey. One morning when we were eating breakfast Father Albert stopped by our table to visit. One of the ladies in our non-Catholic group commented about the new Pope and all the good press he was getting. I said there will come a time when he does or says something that the press doesn't like and the honeymoon will be over. Father Albert - a normally well spoken man - nodded and said 'You got that right'.

I hope it will be that easy.

I think there is a conspiracy already in place. The secular media failed to paint Benedict as a nasty old Nazi. So this time, they intend to tell Francis and the world that Francis really means what the secular elitists are saying. No matter what Francis really says.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:49 am

Del wrote:
FredS wrote:Sooo, a couple of weeks ago I was on retreat with the Benedictine Monks at Conception Abbey. One morning when we were eating breakfast Father Albert stopped by our table to visit. One of the ladies in our non-Catholic group commented about the new Pope and all the good press he was getting. I said there will come a time when he does or says something that the press doesn't like and the honeymoon will be over. Father Albert - a normally well spoken man - nodded and said 'You got that right'.

I think there is a conspiracy already in place. The secular media failed to paint Benedict as a nasty old Nazi. So this time, they intend to tell Francis and the world that Francis really means what the secular elitists are saying. No matter what Francis really says.
Frankly, I hope that is true but I doubt there is a conspiracy. All this media attention does point to a need or desire of the world for a pope to do something. I am not yet sure what that something is, but I think it is good news for the RCC.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:16 am

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:

Frankly, I hope that is true but I doubt there is a conspiracy. All this media attention does point to a need or desire of the world for a pope to do something. I am not yet sure what that something is, but I think it is good news for the RCC.
They imagine that the Pope can change Catholic faith, and they hope that he will do so. Basically, they are looking for the Pope to give permissions for all of the favorite sins of this age.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:33 am

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:

They imagine that the Pope can change Catholic faith, and they hope that he will do so. Basically, they are looking for the Pope to give permissions for all of the favorite sins of this age.
I hope it's not true. Let the romance continue. The man has a great deal of appeal. He's a likeable character and not just a remote figure. This is not about doctrine for me.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:47 am

Rusty wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:

I hope it's not true. Let the romance continue. The man has a great deal of appeal. He's a likeable character and not just a remote figure. This is not about doctrine for me.
You're an odd duck Rusty - as evidenced by the fact that you spend so much time here on CPS. But really, how do you separate the man from the doctrine in this case? As Pope, he represents the doctrine. He's the face of the RCC. If he were not, you wouldn't even know his name. Can you really somehow separate him from it in your mind, or do you just pretend he doesn't stand on the doctrine that is his church? It seems like his 'appeal' is a very thin veil and you chose not to hold it up to the light or look behind it.

EDIT: I sincerely ask these questions, not in a snarky fashion. I suspect that your thoughts on the man mirror the popular media, so knowing more about how you feel may help us understand what they think, and may foretell their continuing coverage.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:04 am

The people of Kentucky have a law that defines and defends natural marriage.

The Attorney General of Kentucky has announced that he is not going to enforce law, just as Obama refused to defend the Defense of Marriage Act. The AG says that Pope Francis's remark "Who am I to judge" is part of his justification for refusing to do his job and allow democracy to survive.

Fr. Z rants a bit about this....
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2014/03/kys-ag-c ... g-the-law/

Pope Francis was asked about a priest who holds an important position in the Vatican. This priest was involved in a homosexual relationship and scandal, some years ago. Is there a "gay lobby" active in the Vatican now?

In an impromptu interview, Pope Francis gave a gentle response:
When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between their being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn’t be marginalized. The tendency is not the problem … they’re our brothers.

Francis is not excusing openly sinful behavior. It is an invitation and acceptance of repentance. When Francis was the Cardinal Archbishop of Buenos Aires, he was outspokenly opposed to legislation recognizing same-sex "marriages."

There is a real effort to spin Francis as a supporter of the modern zeitgeist. Whether this is accidental collusion or genuine conspiracy is hard to say. The lie lives on, either way.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 am

Oh look! Another story from Fr. Z today, on a ballot fight over natural marriage in Oregon.

The Catholic bishops have decided to stand up against a gay-marriage initiative. As you can expect, there is a lot of press given to the protest group who are trying to tell the bishops that Pope Francis doesn't believe Catholic teaching about marriage.

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2014/03/vaya-lio ... r-z-kudos/

I keep seeing this in the press. Progressive groups telling us that Pope Francis stands with them against the Catholic Church and the US Catholic Bishops.

They'll like him as long as they can spin him.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 am

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:

Could be. It could also be that they still have conscience enough to need permission, no matter how misguided. If so, that is good news for the RCC.

Del

Post by Del » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am

UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:

Could be. It could also be that they still have conscience enough to need permission, no matter how misguided. If so, that is good news for the RCC.
That is good news for the world!

I need some glimmers of hope like this.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am

Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
Del wrote:

That is good news for the world!

I need some glimmers of hope like this.
I think the new pope became a symbol of hope when it was obvious from the "get-go" that he was more interested in people than pomp. People need that hope even if they misunderstand. You see, he started conversing WITH the world rather than preaching AT it. IMO, just that glimmer of hope was enough to get the world to listen. That is a good thing because he is now in a position to lovingly correct people and have them perceive it as loving instead of "more pompous dogma shoved down our throats".

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Del wrote:
I keep seeing this in the press. Progressive groups telling us that Pope Francis stands with them against the Catholic Church and the US Catholic Bishops.

They'll like him as long as they can spin him.
More likely, the US Bishops have opposed the Cardinals that got the Pope elected. More liberal leaning cardinals are taking the reigns in the RCC more and more. The papacy itself is changing. As an Orthodox I look at this with interest. On one hand I like to see the papacy change from an all powerful monarchy to a more conciliar and pastoral approach. On the other hand, I doubt the more liberal cardinals will take the RCC into a more Orthodox direction as it pertains to worship and theology. But comparing the Orthodox and RCC is hardly useful, but it's none the less interesting.