I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: I'm Starting to Like This Pope

Post by wosbald » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Just be cool... like Kaspar, The Faithful.
Not sure if yer raggin' on Kasper or not, but assuming that you are, it should prolly be said that the bulk of Kasper's corpus is only now starting to become available in english translation. So equanimous access to the full breadth his thought is severely limited in most American circles. Regardless, I've heard naught from any major, non-totalistic theologian to the effect that he falls under aught than orthodoxy.

If the Pope* says that he wants something done, then it's the theologian's mission ("should he choose to accept it") to see if he can lay the theoretical foundation in order to make such happen without breaking orthodoxy. It's irrelevant (other than as a question of situational, prudential concerns) if certain interests find the goal to be undesirable or inconvenient. People may not like/trust the theologian for this, but that's just the way it is. It makes the theologian faithful, not faithless.

Of course, if I'm misreading you, then carry on. :thumbsup:

* or alternately, the People or simply the theologian's own missional impulses

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 am

wosbald wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 am
+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:01 pm
Just be cool... like Kaspar, The Faithful.
Not sure if yer raggin' on Kasper or not, but assuming that you are, it should prolly be said that the bulk of Kasper's corpus is only now starting to become available in english translation. So equanimous access to the full breadth his thought is severely limited in most American circles. Regardless, I've heard naught from any major, non-totalistic theologian to the effect that he falls under aught than orthodoxy.

If the Pope* says that he wants something done, then it's the theologian's mission ("should he choose to accept it") to see if he can lay the theoretical foundation in order to make such happen without breaking orthodoxy. It's irrelevant (other than as a question of situational, prudential concerns) if certain interests find the goal to be undesirable or inconvenient. People may not like/trust the theologian for this, but that's just the way it is. It makes the theologian faithful, not faithless.

Of course, if I'm misreading you, then carry on. :thumbsup:

* or alternately, the People or simply the theologian's own missional impulses
you know how it goes...

Faithful pastors and theologians do their best, while dissident pastors and theologians do their worst.

Like the chaos after Vatican II: "Catholic teaching hasn't changed!" ("But we bother with that anymore, so go ahead and do whatever.")
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:44 pm

+JMJ+

Pope Benedict rejects ‘foolish prejudice’ of a rupture with Francis
In this photo taken on June 28, 2017, Pope Francis embraces Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI, at the Vatican. The Vatican is denying a German tabloid report that suggested that Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI is suffering from a neurological disease. (Credit: L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP.)

ROME - In excerpts of a new letter released Monday, Pope emeritus Benedict XVI said he sees clear “interior unity” between his papacy and that of his successor, Pope Francis, and described impressions to the contrary as a “foolish prejudice.”

Brief sections of the letter were presented at a Vatican news conference on Monday to showcase “The Theology of Pope Francis,” a series of 11 books written by 11 different authors.

“I applaud this initiative,” wrote Pope Benedict.

“It contradicts the foolish prejudice of those who see Pope Francis as someone who lacks a particular theological and philosophical formation, while I would have been solely a theorist of theology with little understanding of the concrete lives of today’s Christian.”

Presentation of the new volumes coincide with the fifth anniversary tomorrow of Francis’s election to the papacy in March 2013.

Benedict XVI’s letter and “The Theology of Pope Francis” series. (Credit: Courtesy of Vatican Media.)

Benedict XVI added that these short volumes “reasonably demonstrate that Pope Francis is a man with profound philosophical and theological formation and are helpful to see the interior continuity between the two pontificates, even with all the differences in style and temperament.”

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:11 am

+JMJ+

On anniversary, pope's predecessor hits out at conservatives' 'stupid prejudice'
FILE PHOTO : Pope Francis opens the Holy Door to mark opening of the Catholic Holy Year, or Jubilee, in St. Peter's basilica, at the Vatican, December 8, 2015. REUTERS/Max Rossi /File Photo

VATICAN CITY, (Reuters) - Pope Francis’s predecessor [Pope Emeritus Benedict] has rejected the “stupid prejudice” of conservatives who say the Argentinian is destroying the Church with liberal theology, in a strongly worded letter issued on the eve of Tuesday’s fifth anniversary of his election.

[…]

“This is a very elegant but clear way of Benedict distancing himself from those who exploit him in their battle against Francis,” said Father Antonio Spadaro, a Jesuit close to the pope who has written several books on him.

“Benedict is saying ‘I won’t allow you to do this in my name’,” Spadaro told Reuters.

[…]

In his letter, former Pope Benedict disputed suggestions by conservatives that Francis’ academic qualities were lacking, praising his successor as a“man of deep philosophical and theological formation” and praising an “interior continuity between the two pontificates”.

But the conservative blog Rorate Caeli, which is highly critical of Francis, tweeted on Tuesday: “The only continuity is that both are baptised men.”

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:37 pm

+JMJ+

Vatican doctors photo of Benedict’s praise for Francis
In this photo of a letter released by Vatican Media, retired Pope Benedict XVI praises a volume of books about the theological training of Pope Francis. The Vatican admitted Thursday, March 14, 2018 that it blurred the final two lines of the letter's first page, where Benedict begins to acknowledge that he didn't read the books and doesn't have time to write a theological assessment of Francis as requested. (Credit: Vatican Media photo via AP.)

ROME - The Vatican has admitted that it altered a photo sent to the media of a letter from Pope emeritus Benedict XVI about Pope Francis’s theological background. The manipulation changed the meaning of the image.

[…]

In the part of the letter that is legible, Benedict said he sees clear “interior unity” between his papacy and that of his successor, Pope Francis, and described impressions to the contrary as a “foolish prejudice.”

Brief sections of the letter were presented at a Vatican news conference on Monday to showcase “The Theology of Pope Francis,” a series of 11 books written by 11 different authors.

[…]

The Vatican admitted Thursday that it blurred the two final lines of the page where Benedict begins to explain that he didn’t read the books and cannot contribute a theological assessment of Francis as requested because he has other projects.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:03 am

+JMJ+

Laura Ingraham on Benedict’s doctored letter: Two Popes. Da Vinci Code stuff?
WASHINGTON DC, March 15, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) – In a televised conversation with EWTN’s Raymond Arroyo about about the Vatican doctoring a photo of a letter by Pope Benedict so that it appears he is praising Pope Francis, Laura Ingraham was moved to ask, “What is this all about . . . Da Vinci Code stuff?

[…]

The Fox News Ingraham Angle segment featuring Arroyo began with a discussion about a soon-to-be released movie, Pope Francis - A Man of His Word.

Ingraham wondered, “What’s going on with this PR campaign that seems to be launched by the Vatican five years,” after Francis became Pope?

[…]

“Why is the Vatican funding a film about their boss?” asked Arroyo, answering, “It’s a puff piece,” before going on to call it a “touchy-feely video.”

“Some are saying this is an effort to insulate the Pope and to protect him from criticism,” continued Arroyo, “which he has encountered over the last five years because of the changes to church teaching, practice and doctrine -- and that’s a big concern for some.”

The Vatican is embroiled now in its own difficulty,” said Arroyo. “Today, the news came out -- and this is a big blunder, a black eye for the Vatican -- There was a letter they released from Pope Benedict, affirming that Pope Francis and he are in continuity, internal continuity.”

He continued:

“They smudged out the end of [the letter] so you couldn’t read what was next. What people don’t realize is those eleven books of theology that you see on the right hand side of your screen -- this was designed to bolster Pope Francis’ theological heft, and here you have Pope Benedict saying, ‘We are in continuity.’”

“It turns out, if you read the rest of the letter, which no one could read until today, it said, ‘I don’t have time to read the books, so I really can’t pass judgement on these.’”

Host Ingraham, chuckling while again expressing incredulity, said that this sounds like “Da Vinci Code stuff.”

Ingraham again seized the opportunity to express what many think, but fear to say: “You have two Popes. OK? You can’t have two Popes.

“That was always going to cause a problem,” she continued, “I mean, you’re dealing with two Popes.”

“It doesn’t cause a problem if you don’t need the former Pope to vouch for you,” said Arroyo. “And apparently, now, the Vatican feels it would help Pope Francis.”

[…]

(Arroyo's segment begins at 29:30 and his commentary referenced in this article begins at about 31:45 in the video below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGy0lCnmrz4

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:35 pm

+JMJ+

Letter reveals Benedict’s praise for Francis booklets came with previously unmentioned caveats
Msgr Dario Vigano, prefect of the Secretariat for Communications, speaks with CNA March 15, 2018. Credit: Daniel Ibanez/CNA.

Vatican City, Mar 17, 2018 / 12:36 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Amid accusations of concealment, the Vatican's communications department has released the entirety of a letter written by Benedict XVI, revealing a previously unpublished paragraph which contains Benedict’s comments about a theologian known for his “anti-papal initiatives.”

[…]

[…]

In the paragraph, Benedict notes his “surprise” that an author of one of the new booklets is the German theologian Peter Hünermann, who, Benedict notes, “was highlighted for leading anti-papal initiatives” during the two preceding papacies.

In the letter, dated Feb. 7 and addressed to the prefect of the Secretariat for Communications, Msgr. Dario Vigano, Benedict also notes Hünermann's involvement in the release of the 1989 Cologne Declaration, which “virulently attacked the magisterial authority of the Pope, especially on matters of moral theology.”

The previously undisclosed paragraph reads, as translated by Ed Pentin of the National Catholic Register, in full: “Only as an aside, I would like to note my surprise at the fact that among the authors is also Professor Hünermann, who during my pontificate had been shown to have led anti-papal initiatives. He played a major part in the release of the ‘Kölner Erklärung’, which, in relation to the encyclical ‘Veritatis splendor’, virulently attacked the magisterial authority of the Pope, especially on questions of moral theology. Also the ‘Europaische Theologengesellschaft’, which he founded, initially came to be thought of as an organization in opposition to the papal magisterium. Later, the ecclesial sentiment of many theologians prevented this orientation, making that organization a normal instrument of encounter among theologians.”

“I am sure that you will understand me for my denial and I greet you cordially,” the letter concludes. Earlier in the letter, Benedict acknowledged that he could not write a requested reflection on the booklets because he had not read them and had other, more pressing, commitments.

A March 17 press release from the Secretariat for Communications said there had been “much polemics” around its “alleged censorial manipulation of photography.”

“What was read out from the letter, which was confidential, was considered appropriate and related to the sole initiative, and in particular to what the Pope Emeritus says about the philosophical and theological formation of the present Pontiff and the inner un𝗂on between the two pontificates, leaving out some notes regarding contributors to the series.”

“The choice was motivated by confidentiality and not by any intent of censorship,” the secretariat added.

The Vatican office wrote that it had now chosen to publish the letter in its entirety “in order to dispel any doubts.”

[…]

Del

Post by Del » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:47 pm

I saw what you did there.

impressive!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:19 am

+JMJ+

Archbishop criticizes Polish priest who wished Pope Francis a 'quick passage to the House of the Father'
Pope Francis greets a child as he visits the oncology department in the hospital that Padre Pio founded in San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy, during his pastoral visit to the places of St. Padre Pio, Saturday, March 17, 2018. Saint Pio who is widely venerated in Italy and abroad is famous for bearing the stigmata, the wounds of crucified Jesus. (L'Osservatore Romano/Pool Photo via AP)

WARSAW, Poland • Poland's leading archbishop deplored on Sunday comments by a senior conservative priest who had wished Pope Francis a quick death if he does not open to "wisdom."

Krakow Archbishop Marek Jedraszewski said he heard about the comments with "great pain and regret" and has discussed them face-to-face with Msgr. Edward Staniek, who made them in a Feb. 25 church speech in Krakow.

[…]

In his speech, Staniek, who is a prominent theologian, said he was praying for wisdom for Francis and a "heart open to the Holy Spirit, and if he does not do that, for a quick passage to the House of the Father," meaning death.

He said that Francis has departed from the teaching of Jesus and was wrongly interpreting mercy as opening up to Muslims and allowing communion for divorced Catholics, who, according to the church, live in mortal sin and are not allowed communion.

A former seminary rector, Staniek suggested Francis was an "alien body" in the Catholic Church and said his words were used by media that are hostile to the church.

His superior, Archbishop Jedraszewski, insisted in his statement that the full Krakow diocese was praying ardently every day with the best intentions for Francis.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:05 am

+JMJ+

Vatican communications head resigns over Benedict XVI letter scandal
Msgr. Dario Vigano, director of the Vatican Secretariat for Communications, speaks during a Jan. 23 Vatican news conference. (Credit: Paul Haring/CNS.)

Citing recent “controversies” surrounding his duties, the embattled head of the Vatican’s communications office has resigned his position.

Msgr. Dario Edoardo Viganò, the prefect of the Secretariat for Communication, has come under fire for releasing only portions of the text of a letter from Pope emeritus Benedict XVI during the launch of a new Vatican-published compilation of books about Francis’s theological and philosophical background that was released to mark his fifth anniversary as pope.

[…]

In his March 19 resignation letter to the pope — which was released by the Vatican — the priest said the scandal was “destabilizing” the reform of Vatican communications, to which Viganò was entrusted in 2015.

He was given the task of merging the Vatican’s disparate communications offices, which were considered expensive and increasingly ineffective in the modern media landscape.

Viganò accomplished the merger of Vatican Radio and the Vatican’s television center (which Viganò headed from 2013), and the launch of a new Vatican News website.

The project met with stiff resistance — especially within the former Vatican Radio, which took up the bulk of the Vatican’s communication’s resources — and the “Lettergate” controversy confirmed some employees’ fears that the once-journalistic institution would be transformed into an enterprise more resembling a public relations firm.

Viganò said in his letter to the pope he did not want the issue to “delay, damage or even block” the reorganization, which is entering its final phases.

In his Mar. 21 letter accepting Viganò’s resignation, Francis insisted the reform would continue, specifically mentioning the upcoming integration of the Vatican printing office and L’Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, within the larger communications apparatus.

Francis also asked Viganò to stay on at the Secretariat for Communication, naming him an “assessor” to aid whomever is appointed as his successor.

Until the new prefect is named, the office’s secretary — Argentinian Msgr. Lucio Adrián Ruiz — will run the office.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:57 am

+JMJ+

April Rome Conference to Address Crisis of Confusion in Church
(Edward Pentin photo)

The meeting, with interventions from cardinals and bishops, will be entitled ‘Catholic Church: Where Are You Heading?’

Lay faithful as well as members of the hierarchy, clergy and religious are being invited to participate in a Rome conference aimed at helping the Church find its way after the uncertainties of the past five years of Pope Francis’ pontificate.

[…]

The organizers say the afternoon conference will explore the limits of papal authority as well as seek ways to overcome the division in the Church, exacerbated by what many see as pastoral and doctrinal confusion on key moral issues largely emanating from differing interpretations of Chapter VIII of Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation, Amoris Laetitia.

Also discussed will be the leadership roles of the “People of God,” and how the faithful should be consulted on matters of doctrine.

[…]

The conference will end with a declaration —a profession of faith on points of doctrine and morality that are most controversial today. It will be proposed for the whole Church and be issued as coming from the voice of “baptized and confirmed members of the People of God.”

The April 7 conference will take place at ‘The Church Village’ conference center (La Rambla area), Via di Torre Rossa 94, at 3pm.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:14 am

+JMJ+

‘Lettergate’ debacle unnecessary, but useful in surfacing tensions
In this March 12, 2018 photo, the head of Vatican communications department, Monsignor Dario Vigano, poses for a photo to present the show "Giudizio Universale" (Last Judgement), Michelangelo and the Secrets of the Sistine Chapel, at the Auditorium Conciliazione, in Rome. On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, the Vatican announced that Vigano' had resigned over a scandal about a letter from retired Pope Benedict that he mischaracterized in public and then had digitally manipulated in a photograph sent to the media. (Credit: AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia.)

[…]

On Wednesday, the Vatican announced that Viganò had resigned, and made public both Viganò’s letter to Pope Francis and the pontiff’s response, in which Francis asked Viganò to stay on at the Secretariat for Communications in the new role of “assessor.”

What lessons [from 'Lettergate'] are to be learned?

First, the most obvious: If you’re sitting on a letter from a pope, even an emeritus one, you’ve really only got two choices about what to do with it. Either you publish the entire thing, or you keep it to yourself.

[…]

Second, Viganò’s fate would seem to suggest Francis may be rethinking his typical inflexibility when people he’s chosen are under fire.

[…]

Third, Viganò is a classic illustration of the rule that the king’s henchman is rarely a popular guy, especially with the people whose heads he’s chopping off.

[…]

Fourth, Viganò’s departure creates a further opportunity to internationalize the communications apparatus at the Vatican. His English was not the best, and he often seemed more concerned with what Avvenire and La Stampa thought (two Italian papers) than the New York Times and Le Monde.

[…]

Fifth, the basic fault line between Francis’s fans and critics that colors how pretty much everything with regard to this papacy is seen is also shaping how people perceive the lettergate debacle.

[…]

In truth, there is no indication of any tension between Francis and Benedict personally, and every reason to believe the two men genuinely like and admire one another and see themselves in basic continuity. Clearly, however, the same thing cannot be said of many of each man’s most ardent devotees, who often see the situation in terms of rival options for the Church.

At one level, “lettergate” probably will go down as one of the most unnecessary Vatican scandals of all time, an affair that could have been easily avoided with a bit more forethought about the wisdom of releasing only an expurgated version of Benedict’s text.

On the other hand, it’s also brought to light real tensions, both within the Secretariat for Communications about what “reform” actually means, and also in the broader church about to what extent Francis’s and Benedict’s visions are truly in harmony. In that sense, perhaps, it’s provided useful food for thought - including for Viganò, who now seems destined to have a bit more free time on his hands.

Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

Post by Skip » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am

How did this thread become Wosbald's Pope Francis News Aggregator?
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Winner of the CPS Award: "Most Likely to be Found Without Pants at Any Given Moment"

2017 Curmudgeon of the Year

"No man is peer to Skip, peasant." -A_Morley

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:34 am

Skip wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am
How did this thread become Wosbald's Pope Francis News Aggregator?
All it takes is two or three wosbaldian news articles and everyone else nods off leaving him the last man standing.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am

Skip wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:14 am
How did this thread become Wosbald's Pope Francis News Aggregator
You should what he did to the Catholic Thread.

The man preaches Catholicism like Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's Day off.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:53 pm

+JMJ+

Author of "The Dictator Pope" suspended as Knight of Malta
The cover of 'The Dictator Pope.' (Credit: Regnery Publishing.)

ROME — The author of a highly critical book about Pope Francis, entitled The Dictator Pope, has been suspended by the Knights of Malta.

In a statement Thursday, the order said it disassociated itself from the book and condemned the “vile attack against the pope.” It said author Henry Sire has been suspended pending the results of an investigation.

“Following the press articles reporting the name of the author of the book The Dictator Pope, the Grand Magistry of the Order of Malta has taken the decision to suspend Henry Sire, author of the book and member of the Order of Malta. The provisional suspension from membership has immediate effect and an investigation is being launched,” the statement read.

Sire had lived in the Knights’ grand palazzo in Rome from 2013-2017 while he was researching an official history of the order, entitled The Knights of Malta: A Modern Resurrection. At the same time he apparently researched and wrote The Dictator Pope, published electronically in November under the pen name Marcantonio Colonna. Recently, Sire’s true identity was published in conservative Catholic media.

Britain’s The Tablet first reported the suspension.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:40 pm

+JMJ+

‘Enough debating!’ Vatican archbishop says it’s time to accept Amoris Laetitia
Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia speaks at the Major Seminary of Queretaro, Mexico on March 17, 2018. Matthew Cullinan Hoffman / LifeSiteNews

MEXICO, March 23, 2018 (LifeSiteNews) — Vatican archbishop Vincenzo Paglia expressed his frustration at the widespread controversy caused by Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation Amoris laetitia during a recent stop on a Vatican campaign to secure acceptance of the document among the clergy.

“Enough of debating all of this!” shouted Paglia before an audience gathered in the seminary of the Mexican diocese of Queretaro. “Enough!” he repeated.

People are living in an “existential tragedy” in second marriages, and “it’s time to put an end to this discussion” and to “begin to receive people” in such situations into the Church, Paglia said.

[…]

“As President of the Pontifical Council for Life, I have spoken to many, many people who are divorced and not remarried, and many people who are divorced and remarried,” said Paglia, “and they have all told me of the lack of welcome, that they are not well-received in any parish, that they aren’t accompanied by anyone. And they don’t ask about receiving communion. They speak about being listened to, being welcomed.”

[…]

Paglia reminded the audience that in paragraph 84, Familiaris consortio teaches that divorced and remarried Catholics are not “separated” from the Church, and should be encouraged to participate in its life. This, he claims, leads to the conclusion that they should be allowed to carry out liturgical, educational, and sacramental sponsorship roles in the Church, and calls the doctrine the “buried talent” in Familiaris consortio, which Pope Francis has “dug up” and made to “bear fruit” in Amoris laetitia.

“I am sure that John Paul II is applauding Pope Francis” regarding Amoris laetitia, said Paglia.

“If all of the priests . . . had listened to paragraph eighty-four of Familiaris consortio thirty years ago, we would have a Church today that was completely transformed!” Paglia later added.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:57 am

+JMJ+

Protestant Takes Solace in Douthat’s Pope-Bashing Book
It’s Ross Douthat who is being used as a puppet of the devil, not Pope Francis.

There are many “blessings” that flow from the current slew of best-selling pope-bashing books: Phil Lawler’s Lost Shepherd (see my many articles on that) and Ross Douthat’s To Change the Church: Pope Francis and the Future of Catholicism, that I specifically address now:

1. They help to undermine the faith of the average Catholic (whether they think logically or consistently about it or not) in Catholic ecclesiology, the institution of the papacy, infallibility, and indefectibility. Thus (mark my words) they will lead to many abandoning the Church.
  2. They undermine the traditional characteristic of reverence and deference towards the pope, as the leader of the Church, which follows scriptural injunctions concerning honor and respect towards rulers and leaders.
  3. By undermining the papacy, indirectly, other Catholic doctrines also become implicated. The relatively unsophisticated Catholic in the pews (and pubs) starts to question things, because he or she hears the false rumors that even the pope has done so.
  4. They make a laughingstock out of the Catholic Church, since even non-Catholics know that the pope (and his office) ought not be treated with such contempt; and it is a disgraceful, utterly unseemly outward display to the watching world. As such, it works against people seriously considering becoming Catholics.
  5. And it confirms Protestants and Orthodox in their mistaken views that the papacy is unbiblical, and a non-necessary office in the first place.

[…]

The devil’s victory today is that he has Catholics inside the Church doing the work traditionally reserved for non-Catholic critics (i.e., they are “useful idiots”). He just sits back and enjoys himself to no end, watching the stupidity and gullibility of Catholics, and laughing and mocking us to scorn. Now we have the pathetic spectacle of millions of Catholics judging and lying about the pope, gossiping about him and trashing him on a regular basis.

And so, as I confidently predicted, now we are seeing Protestants rejoice in these pope-bashing books, and noting that they back up their own claims of skepticism towards the very office of the papacy. Evangelical Protestant Collin Hansen, editorial director for The Gospel Coalition, wrote an article, entitled, “What If Pope Francis Isn’t Catholic?” (3-20-18), which was a review of sorts, of Douthat’s To Change the Church. It’s actually a fairly well-argued, measured, temperate piece (far more so than 90% of the pope-bashing trash that we are getting today from fellow Catholics).

[…]

So what does evangelical Hansen conclude, in reading such a book? Here is how he sums it up:
Not that he intended to do so, but I don’t think Douthat could’ve written a better apologetic for Protestant arguments against the papacy.
There you go, folks. This is supposed to be something that will edify Catholics and persuade Protestants to join us? It will have exactly the opposite effect. Even if the arguments in it were true and factually correct (they are not), it would have the same effect. But it’s all the more tragic that it will cause such skepticism and abandonment, being a pack of lies about the Holy Father. Here is how Hansen describes the outrageous premises of Douthat’s volume:
What if Pope Francis isn’t Catholic? What if he aims to overturn centuries of dogma? What if he plans to stack the College of Cardinals with liberal allies who will ensure his revolution can’t soon be reversed? What if he banishes his conservative critics to the church’s periphery? Who, then, will enforce the teaching on sexuality and marriage preserved against Western cultural trends by the late Pope John Paul II and self-titled Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI? Indeed, how can the vicar of Christ so confidently dismiss the words of Christ on marriage and adultery from the Gospels?
[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:57 am

+JMJ+

Pope blasts turning truth into an idol, wielding it to judge and classify
Pope Francis waves to faithful as he tours St. Peter's Square at the Vatican before his weekly general audience, Wednesday, March 28, 2018. (Credit: AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino.)

ROME – From the beginning, there’s been a sense that beneath the frenzy of Francis’s papacy, beyond the avalanche of words, gestures and decisions he’s delivered over five years, this pope is after something more fundamental. Perhaps the best phrase we have for it comes from his 2013 document Evangelii Gaudium, where Francis calls for a “pastoral and missionary conversion” of the Church.

On Thursday, in his annual message to priests around the world during the traditional Chrism Mass, Francis came as close to spelling out what that conversion means as he has in some time – in essence, he suggested, it implies a shift from seeing “the truth” as something abstract and rigid, to understanding it as something always enfleshed in real, specific, and endlessly complex individual people.

“We must be careful not to fall into the temptation of making idols of certain abstract truths,” the pontiff said, speaking at the Mass which celebrates the institution of the priesthood. It’s called the “chrism” Mass because oils to be used in sacraments throughout the year are blessed during the service.

[…]

Closeness to people, Francis said, is “the key to mercy,” for “mercy would not be mercy unless, like a Good Samaritan, it finds ways to shorten distances.”

More than that, Pope Francis insisted, closeness is also the key to truth.

“Can distances really be shortened where truth is concerned?” Francis asked. “Yes, they can. Because truth is not only the definition of situations and things from a certain distance, by abstract and logical reasoning. It is more than that. Truth is also fidelity. It makes you name people with their real name, as the Lord names them, before categorizing them or defining ‘their situation’.”

In an extemporaneous flourish, Francis denounced what he called the “culture of the adjective,” meaning a facile way of labeling and classifying people without genuinely striving to understand them by getting close, calling that impulse “ugly.”

Although the pope did not spell out any specific doctrinal or disciplinary consequences, it was hard not to hear indirect echoes of some of the battles that have been waged during his papacy on Thursday, including tensions over his decision to open a cautious pathway to allowing divorced and civilly remarried Catholics to receive the Eucharist.

[…]

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:07 pm

+JMJ+

Cardinal Kasper calls criticism of pope’s family document ‘ridiculous’
Cardinal Walter Kasper appears April 2 on the Italian television show 'Stanze Vaticane' to speak about 'Amoris Laetitia.' (Credit: TGCOM24.)

Criticism of Pope Francis’s 2016 document on family life - which offers a cautious opening for divorced and remarried couples to receive the Eucharist - is “ridiculous,” according to one of the pontiff’s closest cardinal advisers.

Speaking Monday on the Italian television show Stanze Vaticane, 85-year-old German Cardinal Walter Kasper said the discussion of the apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia “has been reduced to the discussion of a footnote…and this is ridiculous.”

[…]

The cardinal told the television show “it is good to start a fraternal discussion [on Amoris Laetitia], to create peace.”

“This is my intention, to create a peace, to begin at a place of at least mutual understanding, because it is not worthwhile for the Church to be divided between friends and enemies,” he said.

Kasper said that Amoris Laetitia is important to help young people find happiness in their lives, and that the discussion of the controversial footnote has overshadowed this fact.

“I’ve been in pastoral ministry for quite a while, and I’ve learned a lot in the confessional: There are very different situations among people and it’s not possible to make a general law for all people,” he said. “We need to discern the concrete situation in front of us, and then we may have a different outcome.”

Kasper said that although the commandants of God are universally valid for all situations, they must be applied to the specific situation, “and this is the tradition of the Church.”

[…]