The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm

So it's a rainy night and we pick up the 2002 Xterra 4 banger. On the way home one headlight goes out and it's panic city.
No big deal, I say, this is an old car and such is part of the fun--- it's ether the bulb or a fuse or a loose connection.
We'll take care of it tomorrow.
The boy is miserable about it.
I pay a few bills and read a journal that just arrived in today's mail.
Next thing I know, the boy is all excited---he watched a YouTube on how to change the Xterra's headlamp bulb (it was a bulb as the high beams still worked) went to Autozone, bought a new bulb and changed it himself!
This from a kid who never turned a wrench before!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am

1970 Harley Ironhead motor is rebuilt! I had to tear it completely down because two of the rear case bolts had snapped off. Since I had the cases split, I decided to have the flywheel balanced and trued and replaced the main bearings. Turns out the left side case is the original so the numbers match the frame but the right side case is off of a 1969. Both halves have had welding repairs. It's tough to find cases on these old bikes that haven't because people ran them into the ground. A few of the gears had to be replaced in the transmission due to wear. I had the heads ported and polished. New cylinders and jugs. The original jugs were maxed and couldn't be bored out any further. It has the Super S carb which is great. It's simple and, IMO, the best carb they put on these. Anyway, it was a gummed up mess so it's been rebuilt. I can't wait to hear her run.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am

SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am
1970 Harley Ironhead motor is rebuilt! I had to tear it completely down because two of the rear case bolts had snapped off. Since I had the cases split, I decided to have the flywheel balanced and trued and replaced the main bearings. Turns out the left side case is the original so the numbers match the frame but the right side case is off of a 1969. Both halves have had welding repairs. It's tough to find cases on these old bikes that haven't because people ran them into the ground. A few of the gears had to be replaced in the transmission due to wear. I had the heads ported and polished. New cylinders and jugs. The original jugs were maxed and couldn't be bored out any further. It has the Super S carb which is great. It's simple and, IMO, the best carb they put on these. Anyway, it was a gummed up mess so it's been rebuilt. I can't wait to hear her run.
Maybe a video so we can hear it run also!?
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Good idea.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:27 am
SlowToke wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 am
Maybe a video so we can hear it run also!?
I miss working on bikes.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

Official London Fatberg Finder

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm

The lawn mower cr@pped out.
I found a 20" Trimmer with a 3-1/2 Briggs that looks like new on Craigs.
It's been sitting for a couple of years, so it'll probably need some TLC and a carb kit, but they are asking only $75
A new hand push mower is $100-$120 in the big box places, so this is very tempting.
As a kid I spent a lot of time behind both push mowers and Trimmers.
Trimmers are lots more fun!
It's also a good excuse to borrow my son's Xterra to bring it home!

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm
It's been sitting for a couple of years, so it'll probably need some TLC and a carb kit, but they are asking only $75
A new hand push mower is $100-$120 in the big box places, so this is very tempting.
Been sitting for a couple of years that needs work as opposed to new for $25 difference?
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:55 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:12 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:22 pm
Been sitting for a couple of years that needs work as opposed to new for $25 difference?
I'm lazy. I'll let the 3-1/2 horses do the work.
Looks to need a carb kit, fresh fluids, air cleaner screw and one little cotter pin for the clutch linkage. I got it for $60
It looks to be an earlier model than any others I've seen----built like a tank she is!

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:25 pm

My grandsons' '05 Checy 2500 Silverado won't start. Battery is good. Checked connections. Turn the key and nothing happens; just a few small clicks under the hood. I can't get to the starter, yet, to give it a few taps with a hammer. Anyone got any other thoughts? I'm searching to see if there's a relay or something else that can fail, to cause this problem.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:25 pm
My grandsons' '05 Checy 2500 Silverado won't start. Battery is good. Checked connections. Turn the key and nothing happens; just a few small clicks under the hood. I can't get to the starter, yet, to give it a few taps with a hammer. Anyone got any other thoughts? I'm searching to see if there's a relay or something else that can fail, to cause this problem.
That sure sounds like the battery.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:43 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Corroded terminals/cables(at the battery, relay or starter) can also cause this. Turn on the dome light and try again. If all the lights go out it's a sign that you can't pull enough current through the terminals due to high resistance (so voltage drops to near zero).

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 am

michigander wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 am
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
Corroded terminals/cables(at the battery, relay or starter) can also cause this. Turn on the dome light and try again. If all the lights go out it's a sign that you can't pull enough current through the terminals due to high resistance (so voltage drops to near zero).
That's true. I drive an old truck and I have had that issue.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 am
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
S&S nails the problem (though he spelled it incorrectly) right there in the first sentence.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am
UncleBob wrote:
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
S&S nails the problem (though he spelled it incorrectly) right there in the first sentence.
I'd say Fred you're a smarta**, but I can't argue your point right now.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
I don't know how the weather is down there today, but a cold night can really kill a battery that may be on it's last leg. A battery that seemed fine, and had been working fine, all of a sudden doesn't work after the first cold snap of the year.

BTDT. A dozen times.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:40 am
FredS wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
michigander wrote:
UncleBob wrote:
sweetandsour wrote:
I don't know how the weather is down there today, but a cold night can really kill a battery that may be on it's last leg. A battery that seemed fine, and had been working fine, all of a sudden doesn't work after the first cold snap of the year.

BTDT. A dozen times.
Yep, that's where I started (ptp). Ended up finding a loose wire to the starter and cranked it up. Thanks everyone.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 pm

BTW, can a faulty battery cause starter-solenoid issues?

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't think a bad battery would damage the starter solenoid. They're pretty much designed to get full voltage on the battery side (which could be as high as 14V) and a bad battery should never cause an over-voltage issue. I'd say the thing most likely to hurt the solenoid is age and heat from the exhaust system. Back in the day, it was common to install a Ford 'solenoid' (it's actually a relay, but everyone calls it a solenoid) to bypass a bad one on a Chevy starter. The Ford style mounted remotely - not on the starter motor itself - so it could be placed in a more hospitable location.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:52 pm
I don't think a bad battery would damage the starter solenoid. They're pretty much designed to get full voltage on the battery side (which could be as high as 14V) and a bad battery should never cause an over-voltage issue. I'd say the thing most likely to hurt the solenoid is age and heat from the exhaust system. Back in the day, it was common to install a Ford 'solenoid' (it's actually a relay, but everyone calls it a solenoid) to bypass a bad one on a Chevy starter. The Ford style mounted remotely - not on the starter motor itself - so it could be placed in a more hospitable location.
The remote, Ford style solenoid is a good idea. My son in law went ahead a bought a new starter yesterday. He's guessing starter since the issue has been intermittent. Will be a bugger to get to.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:01 am

I know there are a few here who might enjoy this story I found on FB about a match race at my hometown drag strip. It was an eighth mile track my dad's car club built in the 50's. Their autoshop teacher lived across the road and donated the land for the track. It was what we might today call an 'intimate' place. There was maybe 100' between the fence (a county road was right behind the fence) and the start line so burnouts were done right next to the fence. Long cars had to make 4-6 point turns just to get lined up. At the other end was a neighbors property so the shut-down area was short, even for an eighth mile track.

By Paul McCusky:

One of my favorite and craziest stories happened back when I had gone to work for Frank Bradley. Now remember, in 1982 we brought Dale’s KC Bomber Top Fuel car to Lawrence for a match race with Jim Ford driving the Baxter’s Jayhawker, Ronny Collins’ Heavy Chevy, and I believe Don Denner out of Wichita with Fred Snavely driving. My point is, Top Fuel cars at Lawrence Dragway in the 80s wasn’t as unique as people might think. Delon Joseph and Charlie Huff (I hope I remembered those names correctly) had hired Bradley to come in for a best of three match race against Garlits. We had a great summer in 1984 with Bradley’s car. We had gone a couple of rounds at St. Louis, got runner-up at Dragway 42, won at US 30 Drag Strip in Chicago against Garlits, and then beat Joe Amato 5.56 to a 5.57 at the NHRA Summernationals in Englishtown, NJ the following weekend. I can’t remember exactly which part of the summer we went to Lawrence. I was thinking it was early Summer. I know in the Spring we raced in Tulsa, and also won the Jolly Rancher Nitro Knockout at Bandimere. I was pretty excited to be racing with Bradley at the same track where I had been a gopher for Dale and Denise since I was 14 years old.

The day had an interesting start. I told Bradley not to worry about directions to the strip in Lawrence. I told him I had been there a million times and I could get him there blindfolded. Well, we (I) missed the turn on I-70. Remember, we had one of the first big rigs in drag racing, so here we were making a U-turn in the median strip in “Big Blue” just West of Lawrence. Frank was cool about it, but I could tell he wasn’t real thrilled with my navigation skills. We got to the track and unloaded the car. After a while Garlits came over to talk to Frank. He was telling Frank how lost he was with his motor combination. He said he was running the car so soft it would barely turn the tire and it was still hurting itself. He was really frustrated. I think it’s safe to say he was contemplating quitting. If you want to fast forward a bit, he partnered with Art Malone and won Indy that year, and just about everything else for several years. But I digress. I told Frank on the way to Lawrence that the strip had a pretty short shutoff. I said, “If you can’t get it stopped, veer to the right and aim for the field.” I can’t remember if it was corn or wheat. We actually took a walk down there before the race because he wanted to see it for himself. Now don’t get me wrong. I never considered myself a tuner, and I sure as hell never tried to tell Frank or Dale how to drive, but I did want to make him aware of this short shutoff. So we go up for the first run and pretty much welded Garlits on the starting line. Frank never saw him. We’re working on the car between rounds and here comes Garlits. He was mad. Frustrated might be a better word because just as he had said earlier, he hurt the motor. He said, “I’m not gonna make the second run. It’s not worth it if all I’m gonna do is hurt this thing.” By the way, fun fact: His one and only crew member was Richard Hogan, one of today’s top “Big Show” Crew Chiefs. So Bradley talks him in to making the second run, and Garlits agreed to leave the starting line and shut off. After Garlits left our pit, Bradley said, “I hate to see the fans not get their money’s worth. Go mix a bottle of VHT with gasoline, 50/50. Let’s give ‘em a fire burnout.” He also said he thought Charlie and Delon were really nice guys and wanted to give them their money’s worth too. I had never been part of a fire burnout before. I just about peed my pants. I asked Frank what I should do? He said, “Pour the VHT under the tires like you always do. Ted (our other crew guy) will stand in front of the car. When Ted gives you the nod, you light a match and throw it under the tires.” I said, “And then what?” Frank said laughing, “If I were you I’d get the f - - k out of the way.” We did it, and it was awesome. I hope there are pictures out there somewhere. I know Doug Frisbie took pictures, but I heard Doug is no longer with us, God rest his soul.

So, Bradley goes through the traps, Ted and I go down to get him in “Little Blue” (our Datsun Station Wagon). As we get to the turnoff and our headlights hit the prism lettering on Garlits’ car, well, we notice there’s only one car. Ted and I looked at each other like, “Huh?” Garlits is out of his car wrapping the parachute around the wing. Ted said, “Hey Gar, where the hell is our boss?” Garlits, without really even making eye contact, pointed out to the field. We whip the car around and our headlights barely make a reflection on the rear wing struts. My heart stopped. I had visions of Dale Wilch and his wild ride in the Jayhawker at St. Louis in 1974. I just knew we were going to go out there and see the car in two pieces…at least. So we ran through the field towards the car and Bradley meets us making his way back. He was so calm. He wasn’t mad. He wasn’t scared. He just lit a cigarette and said, “The damn thing started bouncing and I couldn’t get it stopped.” I was relieved since I was the one who packed the parachute. The chute came out, it just didn’t have a chance to blossom.

The next day we took the car to Dale’s speed shop on State Avenue in Kansas City, KS. Ted and I did maintenance on the motor and clutch while Bradley stripped off all the body panels. He wanted to inspect the chassis for any cracks. This was a brand new Dave Uyehara car that Bradley had just debuted at the Winternationals that year. Miraculously the chassis wasn’t cracked, but it was bent. I couldn’t believe how he fixed it. If Dale reads this he will remember too. We took the front wheels off, stuck the nose of the car under the trailer, put a hydraulic bottle jack under the car, and jacked that thing waaaaaay up the other way. Frank backed the pressure off the jack and that chassis was as straight and true as the day it came off the jig. We spent the rest of the day cleaning Kansas farmland out of every possible nook and cranny on the car, put it all back together and headed down the road to our next race.