The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Cleon » Fri May 11, 2018 6:58 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 pm
I bought the tractor about 2000. It is a 1953 Ford NAA "Jubilee."
It is a "resto-utility" I suppose. I would like to restore it but continue to use it for everything around here.

I bought it in running condition, but with lots of work needed of course. The thing that bothered me the most was that someone had painted everything except the wheels and rear fenders "Ford Blue."

When I was out of work a few years ago, I took off all the front end removable pieces and cleaned down to bare metal. I painted with the proper colors. I have not taken time or effort to clean and re-paint the remainder. It will soon need a left rear tire. It needs brakes. We bush-hog our woods trails with it. We mow the acreage with a 6' finishing mower. I tend my driveway with a box blade. It also sees use snaking logs, pulling a trailer for firewood, using a set of pallet forks and whatever else. However, it is much more reliable when used often, so my time away finds it in needs of some sprucing up.

Here is a pic from a few years ago (and about 30 lbs). I think the pipe is a Cristiano, not sure of the tobacco.
Nice photo. Real nice.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm

I replaced rear brakes on my truck today. Not disc pads, but shoes, drum, etc. Took me a full two and a half hours, and I'm beat. I think it may be my last brake job that's not disc brakes. The springs are killers. But the little keepers on the lug bolts, that keep the drum on? Those are the real PitA.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Wed May 30, 2018 9:21 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm
I replaced rear brakes on my truck today. Not disc pads, but shoes, drum, etc. Took me a full two and a half hours, and I'm beat. I think it may be my last brake job that's not disc brakes. The springs are killers. But the little keepers on the lug bolts, that keep the drum on? Those are the real PitA.
I don't mind drum brakes it's the self adjusting drum brakes that I don't like.
Sometime between 1957 and 1968 they started showing up.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:28 pm
Those little keepers? I grab 'em with a pair of dikes or needle nosed pliers and twist 'till they break. I don't put them back on.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:27 am

The lost skill of turning rotors.

Manufacturers are so singleminded to save weight and improve gas mileage that they make rotors thin and flimsy. Now most shops won’t measure rotors, turn rotors or learn how to turn rotors properly because most rotors today probably can’t handle it anyway, you’ll only waste new pads and warp the old rotors in short order.

I bought upgraded rotors and ceramic brake pads for my truck last time. Break pads are worn down and I want to see if my rotors are thick enough to machine. All I wanted to do is get basic pads to last me a little while this time. Apparently that’s too much to ask these days. All I did was go in and ask that they check my rotors, the guy went straight to upselling me rotors before he even looked at my truck. I walked out in his mid sentences without saying a word. Maybe I shouldn’t have, but automatic upselling without consideration to customer needs and expectations pisses me off. :x

Similar upselling took place with the vet on Memorial Day. I questioned the need for some of what they were asking for, called them on their upselling and they admitted that about $500 dollars worth wasn’t needed yet, and might never be needed (it wasn’t).

I work sales, I don’t upsell unless I truly believe the service is a benefit to the customer after I listen to what the customer actually really wants.

Anyway, am I being unreasonable in hoping that my rotors might be worth saving?

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm

Find a new parts store Thunk. Unless you're driving a POS German car, you can get most replacement parts from a local store staffed by gearheads who understand the value of turning rotors.

I buy the best replacement rotors I can get. Usually that's *Bosch. They don't warp. Period And they're usually good for at least one turning. That is, if I have the time. I knew most of the counter jockeys at my usual store 'back home' and one of them would usually turn them while I waited. But if that wasn't possible, I'd usually just get new ones rather than leave one of our vehicles on blocks and stretching a 3 hour job to 2-3 day project.

*I know full well that Bosch is a German company. They make goods parts, they're just not good at putting them all together well.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:47 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm
Find a new parts store Thunk. Unless you're driving a POS German car, you can get most replacement parts from a local store staffed by gearheads who understand the value of turning rotors.

I buy the best replacement rotors I can get. Usually that's *Bosch. They don't warp. Period And they're usually good for at least one turning. That is, if I have the time. I knew most of the counter jockeys at my usual store 'back home' and one of them would usually turn them while I waited. But if that wasn't possible, I'd usually just get new ones rather than leave one of our vehicles on blocks and stretching a 3 hour job to 2-3 day project.

*I know full well that Bosch is a German company. They make goods parts, they're just not good at putting them all together well.
I have Bosch. They have a lifetime warranty too if I remember correctly, which was my plan B. And yes, the manager called me back, he knows me, as does the owner. I did work for them in the past. They pleaded that I come back. They can turn my rotors just fine. I told them to do it one little layer at a time. Turns out I don’t need new rotors after all. New guy behind the counter I dealt with the first time and boy was he apologizing and kissing my butt when I went back. I had to tell him to stop that. I still prefer the mechanics who work in garages behind all the nice ones. The ones who don’t have the nicely dressed fellows up front behind a desk. The trouble is that they can’t afford the rent where I live and work.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:20 pm

The only rotors I will not machine are none vented rotors, you know the ones almost too thin to start with. I really like on car brake lathes though. I can do a 4 wheel brake job in less than an hour with one. Also will not turn deep rust pitted rotors.
Thunktank wrote:
FredS wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:04 pm

I have Bosch. They have a lifetime warranty too if I remember correctly, which was my plan B. And yes, the manager called me back, he knows me, as does the owner. I did work for them in the past. They pleaded that I come back. They can turn my rotors just fine. I told them to do it one little layer at a time. Turns out I don’t need new rotors after all. New guy behind the counter I dealt with the first time and boy was he apologizing and kissing my butt when I went back. I had to tell him to stop that. I still prefer the mechanics who work in garages behind all the nice ones. The ones who don’t have the nicely dressed fellows up front behind a desk. The trouble is that they can’t afford the rent where I live and work.
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:31 pm

I really think it’s the local economy. Rich people who will pay for anything!

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:24 pm

My son is replacing the water pump on the 2002 Xterra 4 banger. Getting the serpentine belts back on is a pita.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:12 pm

I’m contemplating the idea of reboring my inline 6 engine, replacing the gaskets,seals and pistons. Meanwhile the DIVCO needs to start phase 2. My wife has opinions.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:32 pm

Picked up the camp trailer at noon to prep for a solo trip up the canyon this weekend. Lights didn't work. Traced it to a bad 10A fuse. Didn't have a 10A fuse so I plugged in a 15A fuse. Smoke billowed from the back of the car. Unplugged the fuse. Found a burned up converter in the harness. It takes a special little converter box to consolidate inputs (brake, tail light, R&L turn signals) and output to a simple 4-wire flat connector. None of the parts stores in town have them or can get them any longer. They're $60-80 online and the local trailer shops want over $100. This car will be traded in soon and I've vowed not to spend another dime on the damn thing so there'll be no camping this weekend.

I still smell that awful smell of burning wires. Need some nose bleach. Or maybe pipe smoke.

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Y'all ever seen axle/bearing grease separate? I assembled a little utility trailer from a kit a while back. It's sat unused ever since. I was out in the garage this week and found oil leaking from the hubs and pooling on the ground. I had used that fancy red lithium grease, so it made for a really pretty mess and stained up my nice white wheels.

I'm more than a little annoyed.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm
Y'all ever seen axle/bearing grease separate? . . .
Uhmmm, it gets hot in Texas right?

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:08 pm
JimVH wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:00 pm
Y'all ever seen axle/bearing grease separate? . . .
Uhmmm, it gets hot in Texas right?
Indeed.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Bought a project 83 ram 150 short bed pickup.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:46 am

ImageImage

I bought this last summer, I got a good deal on it as one cylinder had lower compression, replaced both pistons and new gaskets and she was ready to go.
I'm not a high speed trail rider, but wanted a longer track (had a 136" went to 144") a bit more power to get out of trouble, or into itImage, and something I didn't have to fix so often.
I've got a cabin that's a 13 mile ride into from the road so a good snowmobile is a high priority for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Sledin wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:46 am
I've got a cabin that's a 13 mile ride into from the road so a good snowmobile is a high priority for me.
Need a new best friend?

Sledin
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Sledin » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm

FredS wrote:
Sledin wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:46 am
Need a new best friend?
A guy could never have too many best friends Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm

My Stihl FS90R weedeater will start and idle for a few seconds, but will not rev up, even at WOT. I've checked the throttle cable, installed a new fuel filter, and checked the exhaust pipe for any plugging. BTW, if anyone here knows how to remove the fuel tank from this same weedeater, please advise.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)