The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:52 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:12 pm
I pulled up to my folks house today and this '56 Montclair was parked across the street. My immediate thought was "Man, I'll bet RM would dig this."

Get out of my head, Roadmaster!

You are correct sir, that is one sweet ride!
+1
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 pm

JimVH wrote:
I pulled up to my folks house today and this '56 Montclair was parked across the street. My immediate thought was "Man, I'll bet RM would dig this."

That looks like my old house on Trace Forest Dr, in Memorial Northwest. Many of the houses there are similar in appearance. Nice car btw.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:18 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 pm
JimVH wrote:

That looks like my old house on Trace Forest Dr, in Memorial Northwest. Many of the houses there are similar in appearance. Nice car btw.
This neighborhood and MNW were built about the same time. Only about three miles apart.

Small world.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Well the pt cruiser is back together again. Overhauled the engine last year new pistons, rings, bearings, rebuilt cyl head, oil pump. Water pump, new turbo. Was using oil bad, I broke an oil ring separator so. Pulled #2 piston replaced the rings. Everything was fine for 30k miles. Then started kicking front crank seal out of oil pump. Tried new oil pump didn't work. Pulled engine 3 weeks ago to replace crank and bearings. It had worn the thrust bearing and the crank out. Got the engine back in a couple weeks ago, then snow, lol. Finished it up today. The only thing I can figure is that when I broke the oil control ring separator on number 2 piston and was using so much oil that's when the damage started. Just worn more as the miles racked up. I drive 120 miles round trip a day to work. It's back on the road. It's an 2005 PT gt with 230,000 miles on it now. Still cheaper than buying a new car. Especially when still paying on my wife's 2014 compass.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:24 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:47 pm
JimVH wrote:

This neighborhood and MNW were built about the same time. Only about three miles apart.

Small world.
A cat that lived somewhere near Branson had a Mercury like this one only it was painted kinda a reddish orange color.
I just love that old car smell™

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:26 pm

mustangii wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:40 pm
Well the pt cruiser is back together again. Overhauled the engine last year new pistons, rings, bearings, rebuilt cyl head, oil pump. Water pump, new turbo. Was using oil bad, I broke an oil ring separator so. Pulled #2 piston replaced the rings. Everything was fine for 30k miles. Then started kicking front crank seal out of oil pump. Tried new oil pump didn't work. Pulled engine 3 weeks ago to replace crank and bearings. It had worn the thrust bearing and the crank out. Got the engine back in a couple weeks ago, then snow, lol. Finished it up today. The only thing I can figure is that when I broke the oil control ring separator on number 2 piston and was using so much oil that's when the damage started. Just worn more as the miles racked up. I drive 120 miles round trip a day to work. It's back on the road. It's an 2005 PT gt with 230,000 miles on it now. Still cheaper than buying a new car. Especially when still paying on my wife's 2014 compass.

Same transmission?

FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking

Post by FredS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:52 am

mustangii wrote:

Bright side is you can now pull the engine out of a 2005 PT Cruiser in 35 minutes, in your sleep.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:19 pm

15 year old Son1: Dad, can you give me money to visit South Coast Gymnasium tonight, then take me?

Thunktank: If you wash and wax my car inside and out really well today, sure.

So off he goes for 1.5 hours to clean my car while I kick back and watch a ball game. I can’t understand why some parents don’t like teenagers. :mrgreen:

He did a nice job too! I taught him long ago about attention to detail.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:26 pm
mustangii wrote:

Same transmission?
Yes the trans has 231000 miles on it. The fluid has been changed every 60k miles or close to that, never been rebuilt. now I need to buy 2 more wheels, chrome plated aluminum is crap. looking for 2 more SRT-4 wheels. Had a blow out on the way home tonight. Judy and I went to pick it from work after Church today.
edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:58 pm

mustangii wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
mustangii wrote:

Same transmission?
Yes the trans has 231000 miles on it. The fluid has been changed every 60k miles or close to that, never been rebuilt. now I need to buy 2 more wheels, chrome plated aluminum is crap. looking for 2 more SRT-4 wheels. Had a blow out on the way home tonight. Judy and I went to pick it from work after Church today.
edm
My nephew has an '01, 150000 mi, good shape and good engine, but the transmission went out. I didn't get the whole story, but I think an internal filter plugged and gears got starved for fluid. He listed it for $500 and got no offers, so now he's decided to search for a replacement transmission.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:55 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:58 pm
mustangii wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
mustangii wrote:

Same transmission?
edm
My nephew has an '01, 150000 mi, good shape and good engine, but the transmission went out. I didn't get the whole story, but I think an internal filter plugged and gears got starved for fluid. He listed it for $500 and got no offers, so now he's decided to search for a replacement transmission.
Might be worth a call to the transmission shops to source a rebuilt one. Junkyard trannies are a crap shoot. A rebuilt job is probably $1200 vs $200-300, but if you're going to the trouble to swap it, it's money well spent. Of course I say this as a geezer who spent plenty of time scrounging junk yards when he was young and broke so I know the appeal of the cheap ones.

Daughter #1 had a PT for a while. The DCX transmission was crap.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm

JB Weld wins assuming this is not rigged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xX7VecgzA

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:04 pm
It didn't look like a rigged test to me. Not apples to apples because the products are very different, but not rigged. JB Weld is more useful than duct tape. Every tool box and bag I own has tubes of that stuff in it. I've used it to rebuild missing tabs on aluminum thermostat housings and cast alternators on engines before.

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
It didn't look like a rigged test to me. Not apples to apples because the products are very different, but not rigged. JB Weld is more useful than duct tape. Every tool box and bag I own has tubes of that stuff in it. I've used it to rebuild missing tabs on aluminum thermostat housings and cast alternators on engines before.
I have a pipe stem I repaired with it. Durable, yet unconvincing.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:26 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
As most of my stuff is old I have used my share of the stuff also.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Last week, I replaced a hose on my wife's Jeep. It took me nearly an hour. In doing so, I cracked my knee cap, received a vicious cut on one hand, and was drenched in anti-freeze. Mrs. UB told me that although I could do a lot of things we should mark off "auto mechanics" from the list.

There may have been cussing. Maybe.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm
... I cracked my knee cap...

Oh dang, that's real pain right there.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
UncleBob wrote:

JB Weld might work on knee caps.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:20 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

One word:

WD-40

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:20 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

One word:

WD-40
WD-40 for the cut followed by duct tape.