The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 pm

FredS wrote:I have a dead 99 Ranger in the driveway. All signs point to a head gasket or cracked head and I don't feel like trying to fix it so it will soon go to the salvage yard...
How much do you think it would cost to have a good local mechanic fix it?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:07 pm

FredS wrote:BFH
Tried that with PB. Tried propane heat ect. It turns out that two 1/4 x 3" screws, 4 washers and four nuts did the trick so much easier.

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Cleon wrote:
FredS wrote:I have a dead 99 Ranger in the driveway. All signs point to a head gasket or cracked head and I don't feel like trying to fix it so it will soon go to the salvage yard...
How much do you think it would cost to have a good local mechanic fix it?
I dunno. . .probably $1200 if it just needs the head faced and a new gasket. More like $1500 if the head is cracked and needs a used replacement. On the face of it, it's not a hard job, BUT - I know at least one exhaust manifold stud is broken and a few others will surely break if I tried to remove the nuts. That means they would need drilling and tapping while the head is off. Also, at least one of the cylinders has been washed down pretty good so there's probably scoring or rust pitting to deal with.

The front pan gasket is also leaking a quart every few thousand miles and you can't drop the oil pan on these things unless you unbolt the motor mounts and raise the motor up a few inches. And 14 year old motor mounts don't like coming apart so they would probably need to be replaced.

Plus it has >200,000 miles on it. I paid $3400 for it seven or eight years ago and it's served me well, but it's time to let 'er go.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:17 pm

Even with all the interruptions I finally got the back half of the trucks brakes, rotors and suspension replaced. The results are very good. The upgraded rotors and Rancho 9000xl shocks are a real improvement and the dreadful vibrations during braking have stopped. I can't wait to get the front half of the truck done when I get more time off. But ran into an unexpected problem. I drained the battery down by leaving the radio on without recharging it. So I boosted the battery back up but now the running lights won't turn off. :facepalm:

Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:32 pm

Hovannes wrote:I have a Ford Model T frame, axles and motor/tranny waiting for the day I can rebuild it with my son. I do hope I'll live long enough!
Dad had one of these on his T back in the day.

He said he blew the doors off everybody in town.

http://www.museumofamericanspeed.com/Fo ... 21434.html
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:56 pm

I go through a lot of Loctite but I won't bore you with the details, noone cares, and that's good enough for me.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"The Guacamole yoda was life changing " ~ John-Boy

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Hovannes wrote:I have a Ford Model T frame, axles and motor/tranny waiting for the day I can rebuild it with my son. I do hope I'll live long enough!

The conversions they made on those old bangers amazes me. I think I'm hot shtuff replacing a cam and heads/valves, but the engine retains it's factory configuration. They were completely re-engineering engines with those SOHC & DOHC conversions. We look back now and wonder why all the bother to make less than 100 hp, but it's all the average Joe Dirt had to work with at the time.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:32 pm

JimVH wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
JimVH wrote:Lord willing, I will always drive something under warranty.
Smart!

Working on cars for fun is an illness.
A big part of me wishes I had the illness, but then I wake up :)
I'm waking up.

I ran into an electrical problem on my truck two days ago that has nothing to do with the work I've been doing on it. They still don't have it 100 percent diagnosed. It works again now, but then it stops working and they "think" it's a control module to blame. I don't do electrical on late model vehicles and this is getting expensive in all the wrong ways. I don't mind spending money of general maintenance and upgrades, but this sort of stuff is annoying. Two months ago it was a window motor. For nine years I've not had to do work on this truck other than standard maintenance. Now there's been two significant failures other than general maintenance and my truck has been out of commission at poor time intervals. I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake by keeping the truck over getting a new Jeep. I could finance a new Jeep and be able to budget the monthly expenses. Or I could buy a new Jeep outright and tap into the "new house savings account" but at least not have annoying and random breaks from my truck or interest payments on a new Jeep. I try to avoid interest payments and try to live debt free as much as possible as a general rule. :?

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 pm

FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

The conversions they made on those old bangers amazes me. I think I'm hot shtuff replacing a cam and heads/valves, but the engine retains it's factory configuration. They were completely re-engineering engines with those SOHC & DOHC conversions. We look back now and wonder why all the bother to make less than 100 hp, but it's all the average Joe Dirt had to work with at the time.
I don't think even the Terraplanes back then had much more than 100 HP.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:11 pm

Thunktank wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Smart!

I'm waking up.

I ran into an electrical problem on my truck two days ago that has nothing to do with the work I've been doing on it. They still don't have it 100 percent diagnosed. It works again now, but then it stops working and they "think" it's a control module to blame. I don't do electrical on late model vehicles and this is getting expensive in all the wrong ways. I don't mind spending money of general maintenance and upgrades, but this sort of stuff is annoying. Two months ago it was a window motor. For nine years I've not had to do work on this truck other than standard maintenance. Now there's been two significant failures other than general maintenance and my truck has been out of commission at poor time intervals. I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake by keeping the truck over getting a new Jeep. I could finance a new Jeep and be able to budget the monthly expenses. Or I could buy a new Jeep outright and tap into the "new house savings account" but at least not have annoying and random breaks from my truck or interest payments on a new Jeep. I try to avoid interest payments and try to live debt free as much as possible as a general rule. :?
You're in too deep now might as well enjoy it.

I don't think a control module is all that much.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Smart!

I'm waking up.

It's the labor cost of finding the problem and inconvenience of an unplanned day without transportation that makes it much. I'm hoping this is just a phase of bad luck that will soon pass.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thunktank wrote:I'm waking up.

You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:43 pm

FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:33 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.

What model and year Dodge if you don't mind me asking? Curious the level of price difference.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I remember when I was working construction for my Dad in my late teens his crew and I used to vie for the 87-89 Dodge Rams in the fleet. They were the best handling of all the trucks he had.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

What model and year Dodge if you don't mind me asking? Curious the level of price difference.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I remember when I was working construction for my Dad in my late teens his crew and I used to vie for the 87-89 Dodge Rams in the fleet. They were the best handling of all the trucks he had.
1986 Dodge 1/2T 4X4.

Burns too much gas and not very dependable so it doesn't leave the farm anymore but it has over 200,000 miles many of those pulling a gooseneck.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 am

The thing that I like least about the automobile is that very little about them can be fixed by talking at them or quoting historical or literary minutiae. As such, I am against them.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:39 am

:lol:

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:50 am

Roadmaster wrote:

Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:37 am

FredS is my hero.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Reasons I have a pickup truck include picking up three hundred large Pumpkin pies. I'll be doing that here very shortly.