The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 14196
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Post by Cleon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:08 pm

Thunktank wrote:Reasons I have a pickup truck include picking up three hundred large Pumpkin pies. I'll be doing that here very shortly.
Whoah! Weirdest excuse to own a truck that I've ever heard.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 33432
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Post by UncleBob » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:13 pm

FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
Ha! Actually, finding a Ford PCM/ECU that works is rare and, therefore, expensive.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"You guys are weird." - Mrs. FredS

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12861
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:04 am

FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
In 1986 a carb were used which might explain why they are cheaper.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 21152
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Post by Thunktank » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:46 pm

I think my truck is possessed and intelligent. The electrical started working properly when the mechanic was working to find the problem. I drive five miles down the road after they decided they couldn't do anymore and it starts acting up again. All weekend it didn't work and I had to disconnect the battery every time I had to let it sit for a while. This morning I go to take it back in and suddenly it starts to work properly again. I drove around over speed bumps ect. to no avail. I gave up trying to make the problem come back so they could fix it and went to work. I get to work checked the lights. Yep, they're still off and working properly. Two hours later I go back out to the truck and low and behold the lights are on all by themselves again. <redacted_emoji> :lol:

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20212
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Post by FredS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:16 am

'Lectrical gremlins can be tough to find.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 27720
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Post by coco » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:17 am

FredS wrote:'Lectrical gremlins can be tough to find.
+10
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: ...through the tulips

Post by michigander » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:09 am

FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 16268
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by hugodrax » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 am

michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.
I just snarfed my tea. I knew there was a reason I liked that feller.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20212
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:42 am

michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.
I'm not sure how old you are michigander. Would an '04 F-150 (P2 I think) PCM have your fingerprints on it?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: ...through the tulips

Post by michigander » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:38 am

FredS wrote:
michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.
I'm not sure how old you are michigander. Would an '04 F-150 (P2 I think) PCM have your fingerprints on it?
I am definitely old enough (I have been working at FoMoCo since '86). However, I have never worked on F-Series.

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12861
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 am

michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.
I'm not sure how old you are michigander. Would an '04 F-150 (P2 I think) PCM have your fingerprints on it?
I am definitely old enough (I have been working at FoMoCo since '86). However, I have never worked on F-Series.
Just because I have a Dodge doesn't mean I like them, it may be because they are cheap around here.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20212
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Post by FredS » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.
I'm not sure how old you are michigander. Would an '04 F-150 (P2 I think) PCM have your fingerprints on it?
I am definitely old enough (I have been working at FoMoCo since '86). However, I have never worked on F-Series.
Just because I have a Dodge doesn't mean I like them, it may be because they are cheap around here.
+1 For the first time in over 20 years my dailey driver is something other than a Ford. There are still three Fords in our fleet, but I'm now driving a Dodge Nitro that I inherited when I bought Mrs FredS a used Mini Cooper a few months ago.

Back to your Dodge PU. I'm wondering why it has a PCM if it's carbureted?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Roadmaster
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Ornery one-eyed tick farming weiner dog
Posts: 12861
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:42 pm

FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
michigander wrote:
FredS wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
FredS wrote:You can get 'em at a junkyard for $60-80. Might last another 20 years or 20 minutes. New or remanufactured ones with a warranty are probably $300.
I checked and sure enought they are in this range.

I bought a new one for my Dodge PU for less than $100 not long ago however.
Keep in mind that the PCM/ECU is the 'brain' of the vehicle. As such, the ones for the Dodge are much smaller and less advanced than the ones for the Ford, so naturally they cost less.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Fred. That just made my day.
I'm not sure how old you are michigander. Would an '04 F-150 (P2 I think) PCM have your fingerprints on it?
I am definitely old enough (I have been working at FoMoCo since '86). However, I have never worked on F-Series.
Just because I have a Dodge doesn't mean I like them, it may be because they are cheap around here.
+1 For the first time in over 20 years my dailey driver is something other than a Ford. There are still three Fords in our fleet, but I'm now driving a Dodge Nitro that I inherited when I bought Mrs FredS a used Mini Cooper a few months ago.

Back to your Dodge PU. I'm wondering why it has a PCM if it's carbureted?
Apparently it's called something else. My machanic sent me after a module what do I know.

I won't work on anything more advanced then points condenser and a coil.
Oh Mighty Cobfather, return and smite the interlopers.

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20212
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

In another thread, I commented that I've done pretty much anything that can be done in a car. For a few years in the early-mid 80's I was in to demolition derby pretty heavily. I'd drive in 10 or 12 every summer. Pretty much all my free time was spent preparing and repairing cars. Not a bad way to kill a few years if you ask me.

FredS, lubed up and ready to go.
Image

We have a winner. I bought this car from a friend after he'd run it a time or two. 63 or 64 Ford Galaxy 500. I got a few more heats out of it. Mrs FredS even drove it once in a Powder Puff Derby.
Image

Another winner. My aunt and uncle gave me this 67 Plymouth. It was one of the best cars I had. Chrysler's were built tough back in the day.
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33094
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:53 pm

:joy:
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 20212
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Post by FredS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Chainig the motor down and removing the gas tank and exhaust system - the easy way.
Image
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now
Posts: 7902
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Montana

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:58 pm

it'll buff right out
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

User avatar
Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
Posts: 33094
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: The beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina
Contact:

Post by Irish-Dane » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm

mont974x4 wrote:it'll buff right out
:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

User avatar
JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Posts: 6061
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: VA

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:47 pm

Irish-Dane wrote:
mont974x4 wrote:it'll buff right out
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

User avatar
jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs
Posts: 25522
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kingdom of God (Mk 1:15)
Contact:

Post by jruegg » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Want:
Image
Image

Post Reply