The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sysiphus
NCOIC
NCOIC

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sysiphus » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:03 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:49 pm
My Stihl FS90R weedeater will start and idle for a few seconds, but will not rev up, even at WOT. I've checked the throttle cable, installed a new fuel filter, and checked the exhaust pipe for any plugging. BTW, if anyone here knows how to remove the fuel tank from this same weedeater, please advise.
Empty the entire contents of a large can of carb cleaner into the carb while squeezing and releasing the trigger. Then look for pinhole leaks in the fuel line.
Gossett closed his bag of Cheezits and silently prayed

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:05 am

FredS wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:46 pm
Sledin wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:46 am
I've got a cabin that's a 13 mile ride into from the road so a good snowmobile is a high priority for me.
Need a new best friend?
Thought I lived in the boonies!

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Post by FredS » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm

sysiphus wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
My Stihl FS90R weedeater will start and idle for a few seconds, but will not rev up, even at WOT. I've checked the throttle cable, installed a new fuel filter, and checked the exhaust pipe for any plugging. BTW, if anyone here knows how to remove the fuel tank from this same weedeater, please advise.
Empty the entire contents of a large can of carb cleaner into the carb while squeezing and releasing the trigger. Then look for pinhole leaks in the fuel line.
These little 2-strokes always give me fits because they're so fiddly I have to adjust the damn things every time I try to use them. I think sys is right about a leak in the fuel system. Since the tank is below the carb, the tank is pressurized to push fuel up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD272lK7cBE
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:05 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:09 pm
sysiphus wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:03 am
sweetandsour wrote:
These little 2-strokes always give me fits because they're so fiddly I have to adjust the damn things every time I try to use them. I think sys is right about a leak in the fuel system. Since the tank is below the carb, the tank is pressurized to push fuel up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD272lK7cBE
Good video, thanks. Long-story-short, I've put on a new carb, new gaskets, new fuel lines, new filter(s), and (unrelated I think), a new spark plug. I also removed the spark arrester screen from the exhaust. The tank holds good pressure. Still, it starts, and tries to rev, but just can't. I'm suspecting the throttle cable again, perhaps, just because the trigger feels odd; although it visibly opens the throttle. This one is frustrating. And I've got a brand new brush blade waiting to be installed also. Very frustrating.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:24 am

Does it idle and not rev, or does it die after just a few seconds at idle?
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:44 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:24 am
Does it idle and not rev, or does it die after just a few seconds at idle?
It only idles a few seconds.

FredS

Post by FredS » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm

I'll guess there's no choke but maybe you take off the air filter and block 1/2 - 3/4 of the air intake with your hand or a piece of cardboard. Usually if you can get the damn things to run for a minute or two they'll warm up enough to run while you futz with the idle and fuel mixture screws on the carb.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:58 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm
I'll guess there's no choke but maybe you take off the air filter and block 1/2 - 3/4 of the air intake with your hand or a piece of cardboard. Usually if you can get the damn things to run for a minute or two they'll warm up enough to run while you futz with the idle and fuel mixture screws on the carb.
It has a choke. I need a gauge to check compression. I may just trade it in for a new one, I'm thinking.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:44 pm

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:24 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 pm
Ooh la la, that's sexy.

Ready for another 300K.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am

FredS wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:24 am
Thunktank wrote:
Ooh la la, that's sexy.

Ready for another 300K.
I hope it purrs like a kitten.

FredS

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:40 am

Thunktank wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:24 am
FredS wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:24 am
Thunktank wrote:
Ooh la la, that's sexy.

Ready for another 300K.
I hope it purrs like a kitten.
Those 4.0's are one of the best engines ever built. Ever.

In other news: I've never seen anyone swap an engine without removing the hood. Some sort of levitating wizardry going on there.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am

That should answer your question about wizzards.

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:41 am

I've got a '07 Volvo S40 sitting in my drive way. Overheated and blew the head gasket last winter. When I start it up it drives great for 5 or 10 minutes, I guess until the engine heats up, then it will die when it idles. Last time I kept it going for 20 minutes or so then shut it off and the engine smoked/steamed a bit.

Is it worth trying one of those head gasket sealer cans of goop for $100? Or should I junk it?
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:32 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:41 am
I've got a '07 Volvo S40 sitting in my drive way. Overheated and blew the head gasket last winter. When I start it up it drives great for 5 or 10 minutes, I guess until the engine heats up, then it will die when it idles. Last time I kept it going for 20 minutes or so then shut it off and the engine smoked/steamed a bit.

Is it worth trying one of those head gasket sealer cans of goop for $100? Or should I junk it?
Just fix it! No, don’t junk it, it’s a good car. And no, that can of goop isn’t going to fix it.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:54 pm

Chassis is done, motor and tranny installed. This was done back in April, the mechanic has since had a new baby who paralyzed his wife.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 am

I'll be looking at my grandson's 05 Silverado 2500 today. He says the temperature maxes out when accelerating but drops down when idling or going very slow.

Plan to check coolant level, then for leaks, thermostat, sensor(s). Any other ideas are appreciated.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 am
I'll be looking at my grandson's 05 Silverado 2500 today. He says the temperature maxes out when accelerating but drops down when idling or going very slow.

Plan to check coolant level, then for leaks, thermostat, sensor(s). Any other ideas are appreciated.
Cooling system is dry. I filled with water, let the engine idle for 10-15 mins with the reservoir cap on, and there are no visible leaks. No water droplets on oil dipstick. Where'd the coolant go?

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 am

Cooling system is dry. I filled with water, let the engine idle for 10-15 mins with the reservoir cap on, and there are no visible leaks. No water droplets on oil dipstick. Where'd the coolant go?
The symptoms of heating up under acceleration on cooling off at idle are the exact opposite of what I've experienced with a blown head gasket or cracked head. So that's good. I bet it has a leak somewhere. Try running the heater and see if you can smell it in the cab. Also - if you're feeling chipper today and can get yourself back up off the ground - get under it and look for a telltale green drop hanging from the low spots on the radiator or the plastic shield under it, the engine, and even the transmission and it's cross member. Of course, if you spilled anything when filling the radiator or reservoir that'll spoil the leak test around those areas for a while.

Fords never have this type of problem.