The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10350
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:09 am
sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 am
I'll be looking at my grandson's 05 Silverado 2500 today. He says the temperature maxes out when accelerating but drops down when idling or going very slow.

Plan to check coolant level, then for leaks, thermostat, sensor(s). Any other ideas are appreciated.
Cooling system is dry. I filled with water, let the engine idle for 10-15 mins with the reservoir cap on, and there are no visible leaks. No water droplets on oil dipstick. Where'd the coolant go?
The symptoms of heating up under acceleration on cooling off at idle are the exact opposite of what I've experienced with a blown head gasket or cracked head. So that's good. I bet it has a leak somewhere. Try running the heater and see if you can smell it in the cab. Also - if you're feeling chipper today and can get yourself back up off the ground - get under it and look for a telltale green drop hanging from the low spots on the radiator or the plastic shield under it, the engine, and even the transmission and it's cross member. Of course, if you spilled anything when filling the radiator or reservoir that'll spoil the leak test around those areas for a while.

Fords never have this type of problem.
Ha, yeah I bet they don't.

Anyway I filled the system with coolant. Haven't found the leak yet for sure, but there's a seal leak with a small amount of oil and that may be where some coolant is going. Thanks for your help.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22241
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:39 am

I’m about to leave for San Diego this morning from Orange County to meet with the folks working on my Jeep and DIVCO. I’m taking my check book along. Time for phase two on the DIVCO. My Jeep needs to get finished. It’s hunting season and I sold my truck before leaving to Texas. My German car doesn’t like to get dirty. The Jeep Is needed for all those dirt tracks in California, Arizona and Texas.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23155
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

These guys fascinate me. I get a daily dose of highlights from the FIM GP Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z3aGww4Uc

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22187
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:19 pm

I just watched a few of those races over lunch. That Woffinden kid is amazing! It looks a lot like sprint cars, where the kids (who've never been really broke up in a wreck) are the fastest.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 6NGObw29S0
I just love that old car smell™

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23155
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm
Repo fail
I'm stunned that someone behind on their payments would be parked outside of a strip joint.

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:35 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm
Repo fail
I'm stunned that someone behind on their payments would be parked outside of a strip joint.
I didn't pick up on that. :)
A neighbor of mine was a repo and skip chaser.
He had some stories.
I just love that old car smell™

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10350
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:35 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm
Repo fail
I'm stunned that someone behind on their payments would be parked outside of a strip joint.
I didn't pick up on that. :)
A neighbor of mine was a repo and skip chaser.
He had some stories.
Heh. Years ago I was picking up a co-worker early, and his wife answered the door. "Where's John?, I asked. He's in there shaving, she replied.
Well then where's his truck?
At that question, John came into the den half dressed and half shaved and said " my truck better be outside in the driveway!".
He discovered later that it had been repo'd sometime between 4 and 6 that morning, after missing one payment.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23155
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:02 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:51 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:35 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:07 pm
Repo fail
I'm stunned that someone behind on their payments would be parked outside of a strip joint.
I didn't pick up on that. :)
A neighbor of mine was a repo and skip chaser.
He had some stories.
Heh. Years ago I was picking up a co-worker early, and his wife answered the door. "Where's John?, I asked. He's in there shaving, she replied.
Well then where's his truck?
At that question, John came into the den half dressed and half shaved and said " my truck better be outside in the driveway!".
He discovered later that it had been repo'd sometime between 4 and 6 that morning, after missing one payment.
I had a voluntary repo once. I surrendered the truck and cooperated when they came to get it. I invited the repo guy in, gave him a coke, the keys, etc. He played with my dog for a moment and then apologized for having to take the truck. He said this was the first time he ever felt bad about it and that it was nice not being yelled or shot at.

User avatar
FredS
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
The Trappists say shut it, still talking
Posts: 22187
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 am

I returned home from a trip last night and there was a pickup parked across the street from my house. There's no houses there so I reckoned one of the contractor dudes working in the hood prolly went out for beer with a buddy after work and left it. Contractor dude showed up this morning with a buddy to retrieve the truck and it won't start. Won't run at anything less than 6000 rpm. Knocking and smoking like crazy. It done blowed up. They finally ran the battery dead and decided to drag it away. The oil that should be in the engine is on the ground and I reckon there's half a main cap and bearing bouncing 'round in the oil pan.

I feel for the guy. I was once a poor young man who drove junkers and spent every weekend fixing cars so I could drive to work the next week.

Oh, in case you're keeping score at home, it was a Chevy truck.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10350
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:02 am

FredS wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:47 am
I returned home from a trip last night and there was a pickup parked across the street from my house. There's no houses there so I reckoned one of the contractor dudes working in the hood prolly went out for beer with a buddy after work and left it. Contractor dude showed up this morning with a buddy to retrieve the truck and it won't start. Won't run at anything less than 6000 rpm. Knocking and smoking like crazy. It done blowed up. They finally ran the battery dead and decided to drag it away. The oil that should be in the engine is on the ground and I reckon there's half a main cap and bearing bouncing 'round in the oil pan.

I feel for the guy. I was once a poor young man who drove junkers and spent every weekend fixing cars so I could drive to work the next week.

Oh, in case you're keeping score at home, it was a Chevy truck.
FTR, the only time I found piston pieces in the oil pan was with my old Ford Ranger PU. Pulled the engine, had it rebuilt, and it was a good ol truck for my daughter in hs and college, until it got totalled. I never did care for the hydraulic lifters though. They always leaked by.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm

The last true Roadmaster.
Image
I just love that old car smell™

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:02 pm

He who is without oil shall throw the first rod. Compressions 8.7:1
I just love that old car smell™

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 4083
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by GaryInVA » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am
These guys fascinate me. I get a daily dose of highlights from the FIM GP Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z3aGww4Uc
Speedway and flat track (particularly the mile) are my two favorite forms of motorcycle racing. I used to wrench for a flat tracker.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Ramone Rebuke VH
Posts: 23155
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am
These guys fascinate me. I get a daily dose of highlights from the FIM GP Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z3aGww4Uc
Speedway and flat track (particularly the mile) are my two favorite forms of motorcycle racing. I used to wrench for a flat tracker.
CPS'rs have the coolest back stories.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 10350
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:15 pm

JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am
These guys fascinate me. I get a daily dose of highlights from the FIM GP Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z3aGww4Uc
Speedway and flat track (particularly the mile) are my two favorite forms of motorcycle racing. I used to wrench for a flat tracker.
CPS'rs have the coolest back stories.
Remember the races at the Astrodome in the 70s? I saw Roberts (for Yamaha), and Brelsford and then Springsteen, for Harley. Flat track was way more interesting to me than motocross.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
Roadmaster
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 13480
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am

We bought Mrs R a new Chevy Cobalt in 2008 and it's still running the original battery.
Never heard of an automotive battery lasting this long.
I just love that old car smell™

User avatar
Nature of a Man
Usher
Usher
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 am

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Nature of a Man » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 pm

I once learned how to change a transmission on an old Chevy of mine (which was eventually scrapped), by ordering parts off of the internet and found it a fun experience - though beyond that, I'm not the most mechanically inclined. This is when I was younger, and I had my uncle (who's a bigger auto enthusiast) help me with various other repairs.

User avatar
Jester
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1818
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:10 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Jester » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:47 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am
We bought Mrs R a new Chevy Cobalt in 2008 and it's still running the original battery.
Never heard of an automotive battery lasting this long.
The day before I bought my bosses truck the battery died. I asked him how long since he last replaced it and he said never. He bought it from my CEO over 6 years ago. We asked the CEO and he doesn't remember ever replacing it. I am assuming he took it to the dealership whenever he needed a check up and they replaced it at some point.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

We almost solved the Mary issue. -FredS

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 4083
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Bryan/College Station, TX

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:15 pm
JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:20 pm
GaryInVA wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:04 pm
JimVH wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am
These guys fascinate me. I get a daily dose of highlights from the FIM GP Facebook page.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z3aGww4Uc
Speedway and flat track (particularly the mile) are my two favorite forms of motorcycle racing. I used to wrench for a flat tracker.
CPS'rs have the coolest back stories.
Remember the races at the Astrodome in the 70s? I saw Roberts (for Yamaha), and Brelsford and then Springsteen, for Harley. Flat track was way more interesting to me than motocross.
I do remember those days. The reason Roberts was the greatest road racer of his time was because he did so much flat track. Road racers back then weren't used to sliding a bike in and out of a corner where Roberts used his flat track experience to pass them because of it. Roberts raced one of the scariest flat trackers of all time, it had a TZ-750 road race engine in it. He said it scared him to ride it.

Kenny's insane ride
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.
Even though I can't smoke at this time, for some reason I like this place.

Post Reply