The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm

This is a riot. Siamese car racing. Top car has the steering wheel. Bottom car has the gas and brake.

https://www.facebook.com/RoadandTrack/videos/10156254007866091/
4 - 21 - 2 - 12 - 9 - 14
6 - 15 - 18
16 - 15 - 25

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:08 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6Vp-SA_Dhw

Siamese?

Ah!
Pun intended.

A little like Demolition Derby.

What a hoot!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

FredS
Good enough for Trappists

Post by FredS » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:55 pm

1956 Plymouth Belvedere. I'm on the fence but I think I like it.

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:20 pm

FredS wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:55 pm
1956 Plymouth Belvedere. I'm on the fence but I think I like it.

Dad had a 55 Plymouth Belvedere 2drht V8 red and black in color. The car yours truly rode home from the hospital after hatching out. Got a photo of it somewhere up in the attic.

You like the 56's better than the 58 Plymouth Fury's ?

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:34 pm

58 Fury don't think they came in red from the factory like the movie car in Christine.

FredS

Post by FredS » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:51 am

I like the Belvedere I posted because it's been customized to remove the - to me - goofy side trim and two-tone paint scheme. That, and it's not a tri-five Chevy. Pretty much every non car guy pictures the 57 Chevy Bel Air when you mention late 50' 'Merican cars. It's certainly a fine example of that era - that's why it's the one most guys mentally latched on to - but it's not the only thing Detroit made back then. I like to see guys change it up.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

michigander
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by michigander » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:52 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:08 am
We bought Mrs R a new Chevy Cobalt in 2008 and it's still running the original battery.
Never heard of an automotive battery lasting this long.
In 2003 I bought my wife a new Mercury Grand Marquis (she was 36 at the time and had to be the youngest owner of a new Marquis. --and yes, this was the car she wanted.)

Fast forward 11 years and 150,000 miles or so. Our son was the "proud" new owner. He called to tell me he had run into a curb. The car had stalled and wouldn't start.

The impact had tripped the inertia switch causing the stall. However, it wouldn't even crank. It was then that I realized that he was still driving with the factory battery. I'll bet those lead plates were as thin as a piece of paper when he hit that curb.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:26 pm

Michigander, your wife has good taste! And the Mercury was as nice as the Lincoln without attracting the attention.

In 1984 I was driving a beater and decided something more upscale was in order.. I bought a 1979 Mark V from an ex Ford dealer that got the boot because he would only personally drive Cadillacs. He would park said Caddy right outside the front door of his Ford dealership. . The Ford guys told his they prefer him to drive Ford but a Mercury or Lincoln would be ok. He told them nobody tells him what to drive. So he sold the dealership and open the used lot. Or so the story goes. So I buy this white Mark V, to this day the only one I have seen without a vinyl top and the nightmare begins. The car its self was not the problem it was the attention it got. I had the car a couple of days and went to my mothers house to show her the car. I was there maybe an hour and it got keyed. Later that day it got egged when I was at the barber shop. I get home and the bank is on the line, seems the dealer cannot come up with a title. A lost title is not a big deal but this car was driven by the dealer's personal attorney since new on dealer tags and was never titled. THEY LOST THE MSO. Ford Motor Company was contacted for a replacement MSO on a car they built 5 years ago by a dealer that they didn’t like in the first place. It took about a month and finely the bank calls and said all is well. The next day I go see the Back to the Future movie and when I came out somebody had got on top of the car and apparently jumped up and down .The top was crunched so bad I had to push it up some just to drive it home. I took it to the best body shop in town and they said they would replace the top with genuine Ford stuff not aftermarket. I go to pick up the car in a week or so they inform me that they could not get replacement sheet metal and they straightened the damaged top. They has scuffs all over the leather interior and the headliner was also scuffed up. I said this is unacceptable. The body shop asked me if I would accept it if they agreed to eat the $1000 decidable. So I agreed to that and traded for a 1976 Town Car Black in color and nobody ever messed with that car,. Maybe they thought it was Mafia Staff Car!

michigander

Post by michigander » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 pm

Wow. That Mark V had some bad juju.

Roadmaster

Post by Roadmaster » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:40 pm

michigander wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:26 pm
Wow. That Mark V had some bad juju.
Despite the bad experence if a nice original Mark III worth the money was made available I would jump on it.. One of Mr. Iacocca's better ideas. At least he got the credit for it. :D Ijust looked him up and he is still around at age 94.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am

I saw this posted on Havoline's FB page this morning and it made me smile. In 1990 I bought a '65 Galaxy 500 as a project car. Soon after our circumstances changed and it ended up being my daily driver for a couple of years. I found myself under the hood or under the car often because I had no choice but to keep it going. My neighbors had an attention-starved cat that always found a way to join me as I worked on it. I'd look up from underneath to see it crawling down through the engine compartment or feel it against my leg doing that purring/rubbing thing cats do. Once, while on the creeper underneath, he curled up on my chest and we both ended up taking a nap. My general contempt for cats waned and we wound-up being buddies. I really miss that car. Sometimes I even miss the cat.
4 - 21 - 2 - 12 - 9 - 14
6 - 15 - 18
16 - 15 - 25

michigander

Post by michigander » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Our first dog Seamus used to "help" me when I was wrenching. She would pick up bolts and wander off with them.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:53 am

The minifuse for the trailer right turn signal melts. It doesn't just blow, it melts. What could cause this?
I had to rent a car dolly yesterday, helping a nephew towing his car, and they werent going to let me leave with it. I promised that I would only make left turns, and they let me go ahead and take the dolly.
But now I need to figure out the fuse deal.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am

Does it have a factory tow package or aftermarket wiring? Does it do this with any trailer or just that dolly?

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:47 am
Does it have a factory tow package or aftermarket wiring? Does it do this with any trailer or just that dolly?
Factory tow PKG, and apparently any trailer.

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:58 pm

So the fuse it melts is the one in the main fuse panel I assume.

I'd give the harness a good visual inspection for damage and splice in a new section if you find a problem. You probably won't find anything easily and if it were me, I'd just bypass the whole factory trailer wiring system and put in a new one at that point. I suppose you already know this, but 'newer' vehicles need a sort of computer to output the correct signals for a trailer and you can buy kits for $30-$60 that just plug in to either a factory socket towards the back of the vehicle or inline with the factory rear lights. Some require an additional 12V power source if the signal wires are low voltage. All the ones I've done plug in to the wiring behind the drivers side tail light. Of course, that's only for the 4 prong flat plugs, and not trailer brakes or aux battery charging/power.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks Fred. The fuses for trailer lights are under the hood, and I'm thinking now that the issue is at the factory recepticle on the rear bumper. I'm also thinking, like you said, of just bypassing the whole deal and just rig a pigtail from the truck's wires to a 4-pin connector.
Thanks again.