The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24413
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:20 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm
... I cracked my knee cap...

There may have been cussing. Maybe.
Oh dang, that's real pain right there.
JB Weld might work on knee caps.
One word:

WD-40
WD-40 for the cut followed by duct tape.
Don't forget the marginally clean paper towel under the duct tape.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37308
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by UncleBob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:20 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm
... I cracked my knee cap...

There may have been cussing. Maybe.
Oh dang, that's real pain right there.
JB Weld might work on knee caps.
One word:

WD-40
WD-40 for the cut followed by duct tape.
Alas! All I had was FlexGlue and duct tape.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 37308
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: Lubbock, TX USA
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by UncleBob » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:25 pm
FredS wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:20 pm
Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm
UncleBob wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm
... I cracked my knee cap...

There may have been cussing. Maybe.
Oh dang, that's real pain right there.
JB Weld might work on knee caps.
One word:

WD-40
WD-40 for the cut followed by duct tape.
Don't forget the marginally clean paper towel under the duct tape.
Just shop towels and I shooed off the dog before I could use one. But I took a salt tablet so it's all good.

On a serious note, they don't offer much room for simple repairs in those Jeep Liberty engine compartments.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13812
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:47 am

On a serious note, they don't offer much room for simple repairs in those Jeep Liberty engine compartments.
Not much room on any of the newer stuff. I will not turn a nut on the newer cars.
Half the stuff on cars today, I raise the hood and don’t have a clue.
Mrs. R’s car 11 years old now and I don’t even change the oil, we take it to the dealer for that.
I did change the engine air filter and cabin filter.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9516
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm

...and if you do change the oil, where do you dispose of it... My local auto parts store will take it if its in an approved disposal container and I give them $10.

The days of putting it in a milk jug and throwing it in the trash are long gone.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22953
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm
The days of putting it in a milk jug and throwing it in the trash are long gone.
Well duh. You sneak over and put it in the neighbors trash.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9516
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm
The days of putting it in a milk jug and throwing it in the trash are long gone.
Well duh. You sneak over and put it in the neighbors trash.
That's nice...very very nice
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
Posts: 13812
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri The Show-me State

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm
The days of putting it in a milk jug and throwing it in the trash are long gone.
Well duh. You sneak over and put it in the neighbors trash.
That's nice...very very nice
Guess I lucky because O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Wallyworld, plus a neighbor who has a heat stove that burns motor oil will take used oil as long as it does not contain any water.
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22953
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:51 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:11 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:42 pm
The days of putting it in a milk jug and throwing it in the trash are long gone.
Well duh. You sneak over and put it in the neighbors trash.
That's nice...very very nice
Guess I lucky because O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Wallyworld, plus a neighbor who has a heat stove that burns motor oil will take used oil as long as it does not contain any water.
O'Reilly takes mine up here. Limit is five gallons a day.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1611
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Warrensburg MO
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by mustangii » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:53 pm

Hit a deer last Tuesday night on the home. Found a complete blue 04 pt cruiser for 500.00 in Independence MO. Will buy it when the tax return comes in. Time to go to work again when it warms up.Image

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24413
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:17 am

I have an irritating tail light short on my kayak trailer that's popping a fuse in the car as soon I connect the lights. The brake and turn lights work properly, but no running lights. All lights worked previously and it appears properly grounded. I'm considering just replacing the whole harness.

It should be a easy fix and I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing.

Very frustrating. When I mentioned rolling it into the street and setting it on fire Rita intervened and suggested I walk away. She's good about that kind of thing.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24413
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:51 am

I want one.

"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

User avatar
FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Posts: 22953
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: NOCO (Northern Colorado)

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by FredS » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Oh la la, look at what my cuz is selling - a Raptorish Ranger! I think I'm in love (with the truck not Tim, although he's not a bad guy).

"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 20015
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:10 pm

JimVH wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:51 am
I want one.

Brava!
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22711
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm

FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh la la, look at what my cuz is selling - a Raptorish Ranger! I think I'm in love (with the truck not Tim, although he's not a bad guy).

I have my eye on those.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda Image

User avatar
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more
Posts: 22711
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: 471 Km from the London Bridge

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh la la, look at what my cuz is selling - a Raptorish Ranger! I think I'm in love (with the truck not Tim, although he's not a bad guy).

I have my eye on those.
I love the eco boost engine technology that come with it.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda Image

User avatar
coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish
Posts: 30161
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by coco » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:40 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 11185
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:06 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:17 am
I have an irritating tail light short on my kayak trailer that's popping a fuse in the car as soon I connect the lights. The brake and turn lights work properly, but no running lights. All lights worked previously and it appears properly grounded. I'm considering just replacing the whole harness.

It should be a easy fix and I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing.

Very frustrating. When I mentioned rolling it into the street and setting it on fire Rita intervened and suggested I walk away. She's good about that kind of thing.
Fix it?

I have a similar issue. Fuse blows as soon as right turn signal is engaged. Long story, but I think a piece of broken fuse materiel may be stuck down in the fuse slot.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Minister of Shotgun Breaking
Posts: 11185
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh la la, look at what my cuz is selling - a Raptorish Ranger! I think I'm in love (with the truck not Tim, although he's not a bad guy).

I have my eye on those.
I love the eco boost engine technology that come with it.
Why do you love the Eco boost? My good friend that owns his own shop tells me to never get one, he's down on them big time. Always doing Piston and other related jobs on them in his shop.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 24413
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by JimVH » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:11 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:06 pm
JimVH wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:17 am
I have an irritating tail light short on my kayak trailer that's popping a fuse in the car as soon I connect the lights. The brake and turn lights work properly, but no running lights. All lights worked previously and it appears properly grounded. I'm considering just replacing the whole harness.

It should be a easy fix and I'm sure there's something simple I'm missing.

Very frustrating. When I mentioned rolling it into the street and setting it on fire Rita intervened and suggested I walk away. She's good about that kind of thing.
Fix it?

I have a similar issue. Fuse blows as soon as right turn signal is engaged. Long story, but I think a piece of broken fuse materiel may be stuck down in the fuse slot.
Yep, I just replaced the whole harness. Fortunately it's a small, simple trailer.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Post Reply