The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh la la, look at what my cuz is selling - a Raptorish Ranger! I think I'm in love (with the truck not Tim, although he's not a bad guy).

I have my eye on those.
I love the eco boost engine technology that come with it.
Why do you love the Eco boost? My good friend that owns his own shop tells me to never get one, he's down on them big time. Always doing Piston and other related jobs on them in his shop.
I certainly won’t disagree with your friend. I will qualify my interest in the Ecoboost engine platform though. I like the concept in certain applications, but wouldn’t want it in others. I do appreciate direct injection turbocharged engines for my typical usage. I am normally a sedate driver who drives mostly around the city. Occasionally, I will take brief moments and play with the ponies either for fun or to get ahead of oncoming traffic. I do not regularly tow or haul heavy loads or cruise the highway that much. Furthermore, I’m very timely with oil changes and avoid excessive periods of heavy foot syndrome. The Ecoboost suites me in a car or smaller truck like the Ranger. It will normally give me more mileage, with the option of great power and responsiveness when needed or wanted.

Now, if I towed a heavy trailer, boat or camper often. If I did a lot of highway driving using a full sized truck. If I had a heavy foot and didn’t mind poor mileage, I would rather have a naturally aspirated V8 engine. They will get up to speed and hold it better when cruising down the highway and it’s a simpler more straightforward design. The Ecoboost will run hot and require more input from the driver and not worth the hassle under those sorts of conditions in a full size truck.

I have no doubt that if an Ecoboost needs repairs it will be more expensive and harder than most naturally aspirated engines. They, just like any turbo charged engine requires strict adherence to oil changes and the direct injection might gum up the backside of the valves eventually, requiring work and maintenance.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 am

EcoBoost "technology" (direct injection, variable valve timing, and turbocharging) isn't something available only from Ford. What makes Ford unique, as far as I'm concerned, is that they use it so they can downsize their engines and still produce good horsepower and fuel mileage. Others use the same tech with traditionally sized engines to produce huge power that is not really needed by most drivers in most driving situations. My uncle - the father of the guy in the video - has a V6 EcoBoost engine in his F150 and loves it for towing their mid-sized fifth wheel camp trailer. He's been an auto mechanic all his career so I accept his opinion that is a nice package.

All that said, there's no doubt that, when they break, they're expensive to repair. I'd expect old school mechanics to complain about the difficulty and cost associated with fixing any 'new' technology. Just as all wheel drive complicates drive trains, EcoBoost tech complicates engines. In my opinion, the trick with all this new tech is to change the oil on schedule, put 120,000 miles on the vehicle, then get rid of it before you have to start repairing/replacing expensive components.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:06 pm

My VW car has the 1.8 TSI. It uses much the same technology. It performs beautifully, it has awesome torque, no noticeable turbo lag and I can choose my style of driving. I can drive it like an economy car and get over 40 mpg on the highway or drive it like a sports car and get lively V6 performance with related costs. But the technology does run hot. The backside of the valves are in danger of carbon buildup and the timing chain will wear quickly if it isn’t using good oil. I don’t think it’s well suited to constant heavy usage.

As for the Ecoboost, I can definitely see it as capable of towing, but again, I wouldn’t want to do it everyday. It wouldn’t be my choice for a fleet truck that hauls heavy. Now if camping in high elevation is my thing every now then and I had a camper trailer, the Ecoboost would really shine there as well. But I wouldn’t choose that for towing in Texas. It’s going to rev more than the V8 over the endless miles of flat highway.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda