The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:25 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm
FredS wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm
Oh la la, look at what my cuz is selling - a Raptorish Ranger! I think I'm in love (with the truck not Tim, although he's not a bad guy).

I have my eye on those.
I love the eco boost engine technology that come with it.
Why do you love the Eco boost? My good friend that owns his own shop tells me to never get one, he's down on them big time. Always doing Piston and other related jobs on them in his shop.
I certainly won’t disagree with your friend. I will qualify my interest in the Ecoboost engine platform though. I like the concept in certain applications, but wouldn’t want it in others. I do appreciate direct injection turbocharged engines for my typical usage. I am normally a sedate driver who drives mostly around the city. Occasionally, I will take brief moments and play with the ponies either for fun or to get ahead of oncoming traffic. I do not regularly tow or haul heavy loads or cruise the highway that much. Furthermore, I’m very timely with oil changes and avoid excessive periods of heavy foot syndrome. The Ecoboost suites me in a car or smaller truck like the Ranger. It will normally give me more mileage, with the option of great power and responsiveness when needed or wanted.

Now, if I towed a heavy trailer, boat or camper often. If I did a lot of highway driving using a full sized truck. If I had a heavy foot and didn’t mind poor mileage, I would rather have a naturally aspirated V8 engine. They will get up to speed and hold it better when cruising down the highway and it’s a simpler more straightforward design. The Ecoboost will run hot and require more input from the driver and not worth the hassle under those sorts of conditions in a full size truck.

I have no doubt that if an Ecoboost needs repairs it will be more expensive and harder than most naturally aspirated engines. They, just like any turbo charged engine requires strict adherence to oil changes and the direct injection might gum up the backside of the valves eventually, requiring work and maintenance.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda Image

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:48 am

EcoBoost "technology" (direct injection, variable valve timing, and turbocharging) isn't something available only from Ford. What makes Ford unique, as far as I'm concerned, is that they use it so they can downsize their engines and still produce good horsepower and fuel mileage. Others use the same tech with traditionally sized engines to produce huge power that is not really needed by most drivers in most driving situations. My uncle - the father of the guy in the video - has a V6 EcoBoost engine in his F150 and loves it for towing their mid-sized fifth wheel camp trailer. He's been an auto mechanic all his career so I accept his opinion that is a nice package.

All that said, there's no doubt that, when they break, they're expensive to repair. I'd expect old school mechanics to complain about the difficulty and cost associated with fixing any 'new' technology. Just as all wheel drive complicates drive trains, EcoBoost tech complicates engines. In my opinion, the trick with all this new tech is to change the oil on schedule, put 120,000 miles on the vehicle, then get rid of it before you have to start repairing/replacing expensive components.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:06 pm

My VW car has the 1.8 TSI. It uses much the same technology. It performs beautifully, it has awesome torque, no noticeable turbo lag and I can choose my style of driving. I can drive it like an economy car and get over 40 mpg on the highway or drive it like a sports car and get lively V6 performance with related costs. But the technology does run hot. The backside of the valves are in danger of carbon buildup and the timing chain will wear quickly if it isn’t using good oil. I don’t think it’s well suited to constant heavy usage.

As for the Ecoboost, I can definitely see it as capable of towing, but again, I wouldn’t want to do it everyday. It wouldn’t be my choice for a fleet truck that hauls heavy. Now if camping in high elevation is my thing every now then and I had a camper trailer, the Ecoboost would really shine there as well. But I wouldn’t choose that for towing in Texas. It’s going to rev more than the V8 over the endless miles of flat highway.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda Image

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm

Well I just bought a 4x4 2000 Nissan Xterra. It’s supposed to be primarily for my son and for me to hunt with. I looked at dozens of old Xterras because they’re cheap and underrated. I finally found one that was truly well maintained and selling for chump change. It’s a manual transmission and runs so smoothly. All the hoses and rubber bits have been replaced as a well taken cat of old rig should have. All sorts of parts have been updated over the years. It was done right. The interior looks like it’s only five years old even though it’s 19. So many are treated like throw aways. This was treated like a well loved Toyota 4Runner.

The thing is, as I drove it around the last few days, I got to thinking how much this reminds me of my old 96 4Runner. Small trucks with good visibility and maneuverability. I love this thing! I haven’t touched my late model German car since I bought the old metal box on wheels. There’s just something so cool about these old SUVs. My son still doesn’t know I have it. :lol:

We’re going Yuma AZ this weekend to hunt doves with a bunch of friends of mine (sorry Goose). When we go to load “the car” on Saturday morning, I’ll pull up with the Xterra and let him drive us part of the way to the hunting grounds. He should be pleased. I told him he was getting a Subaru Outback, which he was trying really hard to get excited about. He wanted a truck. This should do. But it needs new brakes and shocks first.
Last edited by Thunktank on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm
Well I just bought a 4x4 2000 Nissan Xterra. It’s supposed to be primarily for my son and for me to hunt with. I looked at dozens of old Xterras because they’re cheap and underrated. I finally found one that was truly well maintained and selling for chump change. It’s a manual transmission and runs so smoothly. All the hoses and rubber bits have been replaced as a well taken cat of old rig should have. All sorts of parts have been updated over the years. It was done right. The interior looks like it’s only five years old even though it’s 19. So many are treated like throw aways. This was treated like a well loved Toyota 4Runner.

The thing is, as I drove it around the last few days, I got to thinking how much this reminds me of my old 96 4Runner. Small trucks with good visibility and maneuverability. I love this thing! I haven’t touched my late model German car since I bought the old metal box on wheels. There’s just something so cool about these old SUVs. My son still doesn’t know I have it. :lol:

We’re going Yuma AZ this weekend to hunt doves with a bunch of friends of mine (sorry Goose). When we go to load “the car” on Saturday morning, I’ll pull up with the Xterra and let him drive us part of the way to the hunting grounds. He should be pleased. I told him he was getting a Subaru Outback, which he was trying really hard to get excited about. He wanted a truck. This should do. But it needs new breaks and shocks first.
Sounds like a deal. Got a pic?

Dove season here begins on the 1st also, for areas north of i-10.

In other news, I put a 2" lift kit on the Ranger this week. Now looking for a good deal on mud tires. Right now I'm close to ordering from Walmart.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:35 pm
Thunktank wrote:

We’re going Yuma AZ this weekend to hunt doves with a bunch of friends of mine (sorry Goose). When we go to load “the car” on Saturday morning, I’ll pull up with the Xterra and let him drive us part of the way to the hunting grounds. He should be pleased. I told him he was getting a Subaru Outback, which he was trying really hard to get excited about. He wanted a truck. This should do. But it needs new breaks and shocks first.

In other news, I put a 2" lift kit on the Ranger this week. Now looking for a good deal on mud tires. Right now I'm close to ordering from Walmart.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

That's a very nice hunting vehicle!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:45 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:18 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

That's a very nice hunting vehicle!
Thank you! It’s a nice first truck for a 16 year old too!

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:33 am

. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:33 am
:chili:

I can't wait to see that movie!

Critical response has been good too and it seems like the real deal:
IndieWire wrote:

Despite a hefty 152-minute running time (a trend this fall), the bone-rattlingly intense “Ford v Ferrari” is a tight, taut, percussive, and emotional commercial entertainment that puts audiences inside the real-life drama behind race car driver-turned-designer Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) and gifted, tightly wound driver Ken Miles (Christian Bale) as they build a radical, new, tough and fast race car (the GT-40) for Henry Ford II, all in order to beat Enzo Ferrari’s racers at the brutal 24-hour Le Mans race in 1966.

Audiences at the Werner Herzog Theater in Telluride were on the edge of their seats after being put through the wringer with intense racing scenes. Some left the theater in tears.

:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/ford- ... 202170132/
I'm very familiar with the story, and I've always loved how Ford did such a mighty deed.

Recently watched The 24 Hour War again as a juicy primer,
it's a very good documentary...

On a side note relating to gearheadedness,
I've been happily motoring along in an R53 MINI which I bought about a year-and-a-half ago.
It is a lovely little rip-snorter and has brought much joy.
It's right on the edge of being too modern for me because I don't like the ultramodern electro gadgetry (of which it has some) but it still feels quite analog, like for instance having a hydraulic steering rack.

Hands down the most fun jalopy I've ever owned.

Here's a sort of haphazard thread detailing my backroad travels:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/f ... route.html

I've been turning wrenches again too as it required a good bit of maintenance/upgrade, and that's been fun too (but also frustrating sometimes of course!), so at present time I'm in full throttle gearhead mode.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am

philofumo wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:59 am
durangopipe wrote:

IndieWire wrote:

Despite a hefty 152-minute running time (a trend this fall), the bone-rattlingly intense “Ford v Ferrari” is a tight, taut, percussive, and emotional commercial entertainment that puts audiences inside the real-life drama behind race car driver-turned-designer Carroll Shelby (Matt Damon) and gifted, tightly wound driver Ken Miles (Christian Bale) as they build a radical, new, tough and fast race car (the GT-40) for Henry Ford II, all in order to beat Enzo Ferrari’s racers at the brutal 24-hour Le Mans race in 1966.

Audiences at the Werner Herzog Theater in Telluride were on the edge of their seats after being put through the wringer with intense racing scenes. Some left the theater in tears.

:

I'm very familiar with the story, and I've always loved how Ford did such a mighty deed.

I've been happily motoring along in an R53 MINI which I bought about a year-and-a-half ago.
It's right on the edge of being too modern for me because I don't like the ultramodern electro gadgetry (of which it has some) but it still feels quite analog, like for instance having a hydraulic steering rack.

I've been turning wrenches again too as it required a good bit of maintenance/upgrade, and that's been fun too (but also frustrating sometimes of course!), so at present time I'm in full throttle gearhead mode.
Good to see you, philo!
I’ll look forward to catching up on your backroad travels.

In the mid-60s in high school I was already a huge Shelby/Cobra fan and by the time I was in college and Shelby/Ford went 1-2-3 at Le Mans I’d been following the Ford vs. Ferrari battle for several years.

It was huge.

Wish I’d known about this film before the reviews came out.
It’s a short hop from here over to Telluride and I would have loved to have seen the film there.

But I’ll see it as soon as I can.

(I fear my experience of pushing a Tesla X a bit on twisty mountain roads here this summer has made my trusty, utilitarian Jeep feel a bit sluggish!)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

FredS

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:26 pm

philofumo wrote:

We just traded Mrs FredS's 2006 Mini. I bought it used 5 or 6 years ago and - though it's not supercharged - it was a blast to drive. Snappy little 5-speed that was a hoot. She wanted a new Fiat when they first came out over here but those things were junk when new and I'm sure they fell apart after only a year or two. I had to replace the throw out bearing as it resides in a plastic housing that melted. I had to drive it home, through town, with no clutch. I have a buddy who owns a transmission shop so he did me a solid on that deal. Put in a new clutch and flywheel while they were in there. Also, the dash lights never worked. They run through the CAN bus computer under the drivers seat and I never felt like taking the time to figure it out and fix it. And the drivers side window would sometimes stick up. Had to give the door card a whack with your fist, 3" above the speaker to get it to work.

Thanks for the heads up on the movie DP. You know I'm all about Shelby and his race cars.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:26 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am
philofumo wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

IndieWire wrote:

:

Good to see you, philo!
I’ll look forward to catching up on your backroad travels.

In the mid-60s in high school I was already a huge Shelby/Cobra fan and by the time I was in college and Shelby/Ford went 1-2-3 at Le Mans I’d been following the Ford vs. Ferrari battle for several years.

It was huge.

Wish I’d known about this film before the reviews came out.
It’s a short hop from here over to Telluride and I would have loved to have seen the film there.

But I’ll see it as soon as I can.

(I fear my experience of pushing a Tesla X a bit on twisty mountain roads here this summer has made my trusty, utilitarian Jeep feel a bit sluggish!)
Yessir,
Carroll Shelby is an American icon.

And wow!
You got a Tesla X?
Those things sorta scare me because I'm futura-phobic and them is like sci-fi.
The instant acceleration is amazing tough.

I enjoy watching this guy going drag racing...

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:37 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:26 pm
philofumo wrote:

We just traded Mrs FredS's 2006 Mini. I bought it used 5 or 6 years ago and - though it's not supercharged - it was a blast to drive. Snappy little 5-speed that was a hoot. She wanted a new Fiat when they first came out over here but those things were junk when new and I'm sure they fell apart after only a year or two. I had to replace the throw out bearing as it resides in a plastic housing that melted. I had to drive it home, through town, with no clutch. I have a buddy who owns a transmission shop so he did me a solid on that deal. Put in a new clutch and flywheel while they were in there. Also, the dash lights never worked. They run through the CAN bus computer under the drivers seat and I never felt like taking the time to figure it out and fix it. And the drivers side window would sometimes stick up. Had to give the door card a whack with your fist, 3" above the speaker to get it to work.

Thanks for the heads up on the movie DP. You know I'm all about Shelby and his race cars.
Yep, a total blast to drive. Good thing y'all got the 06 model because the earlier 5 spds tended to self-destruct.
I absolutely hate the CAN bus crap and all the plastic fasteners they use, and many of the parts are flimsy cheap.

I used to have a bad opinion of superchargers because they're parasitic as well as heavy, and turbos are so much more tuneable for easy power gains --- but dangit if I ain't a s/c nut now and watch viddies just to hear the whine!
LOL

If I had more money in the bank...

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm

“philofumo” wrote:And wow!
You got a Tesla X?
Nah.
No way we could afford one.

But a friend who owns one came to visit us this summer and I got to drive it.

Incredible acceleration, but nearly silent!
It’s kind of weird.

Very Sci-Fi.
Very.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm

philofumo wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

IndieWire wrote:

:

Cool link and photos of your adventures, BROTHERSMOKE.

I liked the comment a guy left " That's proper motoring"
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm
You got a Tesla X?
Nah.

It’s kind of weird.

Very Sci-Fi.
Very.
I'd like to experience a Tesla someday, I've only watched videos and seen them out driving.

The silence is weird.

All EV cars should sound like this:
:lol:

But seriously,
they do have regs regarding EV noise, especially at certain lower speeds for concerns of ped-xing safety. The cool thing I think is that the manufacturers are given a broad brush and not mandated with a singular universal sound, so they will strive to come up with unique stuff that may indeed be interesting...

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:28 pm

Jocose wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:18 pm

Cool link and photos of your adventures, BROTHERSMOKE.

I liked the comment a guy left " That's proper motoring"
Image Cheers SMOKEBROTHER!

Yeah, that comment gave me the warm fuzzies.

I have had some very fun adventures and navigating outside of the major highways is a great way to see the country too.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:51 pm

Just your basic family 4WD SUV - dragging a Lamborghini.
Race it on weekends. Take the grandkids and the dog fishing during the week.

Very practical, don’t you think.
Everyone should have at least one.

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:09 pm

philofumo wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:19 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm
You got a Tesla X?
Nah.

It’s kind of weird.

Very Sci-Fi.
Very.
I'd like to experience a Tesla someday, I've only watched videos and seen them out driving.

The silence is weird.

All EV cars should sound like this:
:lol:

But seriously,
they do have regs regarding EV noise, especially at certain lower speeds for concerns of ped-xing safety. The cool thing I think is that the manufacturers are given a broad brush and not mandated with a singular universal sound, so they will strive to come up with unique stuff that may indeed be interesting...

Good to see you posting again Phil
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing