The gearhead thread.

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Re: The gearhead thread.

Post by philofumo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:48 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:33 am
I have to say that I love the encouragement here on this thread. :)

If I blow it up, I’ll blame you guys. :twisted:
:lol:
You ain't gonna get blown up!

It'll be a great father/son project.

I'm a repair manual type o' guy and always get a Haynes + factory book for the cars I own and work on,
but nowadays you can find free pdf's online,
or much more popularly,
just watch youtube...

That guy is working on a 2007, but yours should be pretty similar I'd reckon.

I watch repair videos frequently now before I get going with the wrenches --- they're great to view and see what to expect, what specific tools needed etc etc

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:16 pm

philofumo wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:48 am
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:33 am
I have to say that I love the encouragement here on this thread. :)

If I blow it up, I’ll blame you guys. :twisted:
You ain't gonna get blown up!

It'll be a great father/son project.

I'm a repair manual type o' guy and always get a Haynes + factory book for the cars I own and work on,
but nowadays you can find free pdf's online,
or much more popularly,
just watch youtube...

That guy is working on a 2007, but yours should be pretty similar I'd reckon.

I watch repair videos frequently now before I get going with the wrenches --- they're great to view and see what to expect, what specific tools needed etc etc
Yeah, I got the Hayes manual. The basis of DYI mechanics. I found a fellow on YouTube who does excellent presentations on repairing and maintaining an old Frontier that shares almost everything with my generation Xterra. From what I understand, the second gen Xterra shares nothing at all with the first gen. The first gen was a carry over from Datson ownership. The second gen was a complete change headed by the new owners. It just looks like an evolution is all.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

FredS
Patriarch of All Shirkdom

Post by FredS » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:16 pm
I found a fellow on YouTube who does excellent presentations on repairing and maintaining an old Frontier that shares almost everything with my generation Xterra. From what I understand, the second gen Xterra shares nothing at all with the first gen. The first gen was a carry over from Datson ownership. The second gen was a complete change headed by the new owners. It just looks like an evolution is all.
Not exactly. Datsun was simply a brand name (maybe only the in the US?) for Nissan. Like Toshiba and a lot of other Japanese companies, Nissan was ordered to made war machines during the war so after the war, they branded their vehicles as Datsun to make them more palatable to Americans. They dropped the marque in 1984 and started branding their vehicles as Nissan because, well, they were/are made by Nissan. I can't imagine anything on the Xterra is a carryover from the Datsun days that ended in 1984. Nissan has been the "new owner" since the 1930's or something.

Back in the day I had a Datsun truck (biggest POS vehicle I've ever owned) that had Nissan stamped on the valve covers and a few other parts because it was built by Nissan. They just changed the tailgate, grill, and a few badges before they shipped them over here.

I prefer Chiltons over Haynes but either is handy to have around. Most public libraries these days have an online subscription to those manuals that you can access from the comfort of your own garage.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:34 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:20 pm
Thunktank wrote:
I found a fellow on YouTube who does excellent presentations on repairing and maintaining an old Frontier that shares almost everything with my generation Xterra. From what I understand, the second gen Xterra shares nothing at all with the first gen. The first gen was a carry over from Datson ownership. The second gen was a complete change headed by the new owners. It just looks like an evolution is all.
Not exactly. Datsun was simply a brand name (maybe only the in the US?) for Nissan. Like Toshiba and a lot of other Japanese companies, Nissan was ordered to made war machines during the war so after the war, they branded their vehicles as Datsun to make them more palatable to Americans. They dropped the marque in 1984 and started branding their vehicles as Nissan because, well, they were/are made by Nissan. I can't imagine anything on the Xterra is a carryover from the Datsun days that ended in 1984. Nissan has been the "new owner" since the 1930's or something.

Back in the day I had a Datsun truck (biggest POS vehicle I've ever owned) that had Nissan stamped on the valve covers and a few other parts because it was built by Nissan. They just changed the tailgate, grill, and a few badges before they shipped them over here.

I prefer Chiltons over Haynes but either is handy to have around. Most public libraries these days have an online subscription to those manuals that you can access from the comfort of your own garage.
Well humph! And you trust me with tools and manuals? :lol:

Goes to show me how I need to reference all information I hear from some Dude with Fred before I go posting stupid stuff.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

sweetandsour
Minister of Shotgun Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:53 pm

You guys are on a roll. I changed the clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing in my 60 Brookwood when I was 16, with the help of a friend. We were teenagers, so we automatically knew how to work on cars, right? I parked straddling the ditch in our front yard so we could easily work underneath. Didn't even need the use of a pilot shaft. Didn't have one anyway.

Anyway the 1" spacers were sufficient for our Ranger, but the wheels sure seem toed in, to me. I'll post an "after" pic later.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:53 pm
You guys are on a roll. I changed the clutch plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing in my 60 Brookwood when I was 16, with the help of a friend. We were teenagers, so we automatically knew how to work on cars, right? I parked straddling the ditch in our front yard so we could easily work underneath. Didn't even need the use of a pilot shaft. Didn't have one anyway.

Anyway the 1" spacers were sufficient for our Ranger, but the wheels sure seem toed in, to me. I'll post an "after" pic later.
Remember well thosr three speeds. My neighbor's grandfather used to take as everywhere as kids. 59 Chevy 6 banger 3 on the tree he would take off in first gear why did it pretty tired and then shift to 3rd I don't think he ever used second gear. Knock the ashes out of his pipe on the steel dash
Facts should never get in the way of a good story.

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 am

Thunktank wrote:

Yeah, I got the Hayes manual. The basis of DYI mechanics. I found a fellow on YouTube who does excellent presentations on repairing and maintaining an old Frontier that shares almost everything with my generation Xterra. From what I understand, the second gen Xterra shares nothing at all with the first gen. The first gen was a carry over from Datson ownership. The second gen was a complete change headed by the new owners. It just looks like an evolution is all.
Good deal.

Sounds like you've got all your ducks in a row.

Same generational thing with MINI - completely different.
1st gen used a stout ironblock Chrysler engine supercharged with a Roots type blower
2nd gen used a Peugeot engine with turbo

The Peugeot motors turned out to be horrible and ended up giving MINI a very bad reputation for unreliability.

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 am

philofumo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 am
The Peugeot motors turned out to be horrible and ended up giving MINI a very bad reputation for unreliability.
The only thing that sucks more than German cars and parts is French cars and parts.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 am
philofumo wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:26 am
The only thing that sucks more than German cars and parts is French cars and parts.
LOL

Years and years ago I came very close to buying a Deese I saw in the classifieds, it was running 'n everything but needed replacement spheres for the hydraulic suspension. It was in great all around shape otherwise.

I sorta regret not getting it.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:07 am

I have 27,000 miles more to enjoy my German car before it becomes chopped liver. So far though it’s been as good as my other favorite car that was also German I used to have. A bit more practical than the last, but just as good. Maybe I need to try a Lexus or Infinity next now that I’m getting older and slower.

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:04 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:07 am
I have 27,000 miles more to enjoy my German car before it becomes chopped liver. So far though it’s been as good as my other favorite car that was also German I used to have. A bit more practical than the last, but just as good. Maybe I need to try a Lexus or Infinity next now that I’m getting older and slower.
Forget about the Lexus and go with a French car!

They are indestructible.

:D

FredS

Post by FredS » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm

How to have fun at a car show:
1. Go up to the owner of a Citroen 2CV and ask about his Volkswagen.
B. Go up to the owner an old Land Cruiser and ask about his Jeep.

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:36 pm

FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm
:twisted: :box:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:39 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:36 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:19 pm
:twisted: :box:

3. Go up to the owner of an NSU and ask about his Corvair.

:P

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:11 pm
I put more aggressive tires on our Ranger, along with a 2" lift kit. I saw no other jack points than the frame itself, so I used floor jacks, boards and jack stands to get the vehicle entirely off the ground. Finally was able to get the new tires and wheels mounted.

With the slightly wider front tires, the cleats rub the shock cylinder and spring. Here's the right side:

And the left side:

I don't know how bad of an issue this is. What will happen other than slightly worn cleats? Perhaps I should go ahead and purchase and install spacers? I'm thinking perhaps 1" spacers all the way around.
The front right and left, after installation of 1" spacers.

The front tires still seem to toe in a bit. Or maybe camber is the right word.

I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:21 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:11 pm
I put more aggressive tires on our Ranger, along with a 2" lift kit. I saw no other jack points than the frame itself, so I used floor jacks, boards and jack stands to get the vehicle entirely off the ground. Finally was able to get the new tires and wheels mounted.

With the slightly wider front tires, the cleats rub the shock cylinder and spring. Here's the right side:

And the left side:

I don't know how bad of an issue this is. What will happen other than slightly worn cleats? Perhaps I should go ahead and purchase and install spacers? I'm thinking perhaps 1" spacers all the way around.
The front right and left, after installation of 1" spacers.

The spacer sure helped...I have seen some at the show rooms that looked "toe in" don't know if they straighten out when there is a load or not...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:32 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 pm

It's easy enough to see why the camber increased. You've got a triangle with two fixed points - the top of the strut and the inboard point(s) of the lower A-arm or control arms. You lengthened one side of the triangle, so the third - not fixed - point had to move. It moves in an arc that is (sort of) centered on the inboard mounting points of the A-arm or control arms. It will get better with a load and during suspension up travel. It'll get worse when the suspension droops.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 am

One of the reasons I opted to buy a first generation Nissan Xterra is because spare parts are cheap and easy to find, but custom lifts aren’t; to avoid the temptation of “building” a rig. For me, it’s just not practically worth it. A stock 4x4 with descent tires gets me everywhere we need to go without encouraging silly obstacle trials. Air down I can still drive some crazy places. Of course I’m not trying to build duck blinds in the middle of a swamp either.

Having lifted trucks before, one things leads to another which leads to yet another and when all is said and done, I was going down the same trails I already was traveling down stock.

FredS

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:17 am

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:24 am
One of the reasons I opted to buy a first generation Nissan Xterra is because spare parts are cheap and easy to find, but custom lifts aren’t; to avoid the temptation of “building” a rig. For me, it’s just not practically worth it. A stock 4x4 with descent tires gets me everywhere we need to go without encouraging silly obstacle trials. Air down I can still drive some crazy places. Of course I’m not trying to build duck blinds in the middle of a swamp either.

Having lifted trucks before, one things leads to another which leads to yet another and when all is said and done, I was going down the same trails I already was traveling down stock.
Bloodhound and I talked about this the other day after seeing a lot of posers on the road. I'm doing some reasonable mods to my Jeep, mostly to get in to the mountains to fish. I'm not going rock crawling or overlanding for weeks at a time. A small 1.5" lift that doesn't require new suspension parts to correct the geometry, slightly taller tires that won't rub or require re-gearing, and a few extra lights is pretty much what I'm doing. It won't really go anywhere a stock Wrangler won't go, but it will go there with less stress/breakage. If you really want a rock crawler or overlander, it needs to be built up and dedicated to that task which makes it way less roadworthy than I'd want for a daily driver.