GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:01 am

I heartily agree, Thunk.
And Hugo.

Those who enjoy or feel the need for a Glock and an AR should be able to buy, own and shoot them. But I feel the balance has shifted over the course of my life from guns for sport to guns for self defense, and I regret it.

My first shotgun was a single-shot .410, a Stevens that I shared with my brother. I remember it very fondly. The Henry is a beautiful gun. I might just get one now that you’ve reminded me about them, Thunk.

This is the world I grew up in, the one I choose to live in still:

I do understand that not everyone is able to choose to live relatively free from certain risks. I always prioritized where I would live over other considerations, and I know that the freedom to make such a choice was largely an accident of circumstance and not a choice available to everyone.

Still ...

I lament the transition from gun shop racks filled with walnut stocked double guns, model twelves and Wingmasters, elegant hunting rifles, wood and glass cases primarily displaying revolvers and plenty of short stocked, lightweight guns for youngsters - to apocalypse predicting survivalist shops with black polymer tactical everything. Autoloaders like the 1100 were there to soften recoil for those who shot a few hundred shells in a day at skeet or trap, or preferred them for waterfowling, not to hold a million shells in case of an attack of zombies.

I’d far rather live in a world where youngsters eagerly await the morning so they can go out before anyone else is up to hunt squirrels and rabbits with the family dog than one where they are led to dwell in fear of drug-crazed maniacs (that rarely if ever materialize) to kick down the doors of their homes.

I’d rather see gun magazine covers with pipe-smoking fathers and eager children dressed in red and black “camo” wool out in the fall woods than amateur SWATers in digital camo shooting at human shaped targets from behind plywood barriers.

There was crime when I was young. Bad things happened. We didn’t let their existence define our lives. Or our sport.

I own but one autoloading firearm, a .22 target pistol. My only other handgun is a revolver. I used to wear the revolver, visibly, in the woods. I never needed to use it there. I haven’t worn it in a while.

In a safe full of shotguns and rifles there’s but one “tactical” gun, a plastic stocked, extended magazine pump shotgun. It is not loaded. It is never leaning against a wall or waiting under the bed. I haven’t shot it in ages. I bought it for “home defense.”

Reading my own post, I might just sell it.

And I might just go to the used bookstore and grab some Boy’s Life magazines from the 50s, if only for my mental health or a smile.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:56 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:54 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:10 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 pm
joegoat wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:16 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:43 pm
I was just noticing mine also has a longer barrel. I didn't register that yours was the short barrel...Much better for concealed carry. I had a Chief's Special years ago, but the previous owner had stolen it and I had to give it back after we prosecuted the guy...he didn't know I was a cop when he sold it to me and I didn't know it was stolen...I only had it a month or so...The upside was a that a really nice guy got his gun back and we are still friends.
Yours has the 3" barrel that I love. I disagree that the 1.8 or 2" are better for concealed and the barrel is generally pointing down the leg and is easily concealed. Usually it is the grip that is the hard part to hide.
I'm a fan of 3 inch barrels on revolvers. More barrel will give a .38 just a bit more velocity, the added weight at the front mitigates a bit more recoil, and and they carry just as easily inside the waistband as a 2 inch. They just don't make many of them these days though.
We are a massive bunch of Fudds, aren't we?

I carried the airweight today. I'm easily influenced.
Everything went to hell when civilians (and cops) switched over to semi automatics with detachable magazines. Ban them all I say!

Regardless, lever actions and revolvers are outdated, but still effective, I’m just sure of it. At least for typical civilian usage.

Today, I went to a couple of gun shops to pick a couple things up. We had some judicial excitement out here in CA over magazines, so the usual suspects were waiting in long lines to pick some up while they still could. Nutters.
In defiance I took my son over to the lonely rack with Henry Single Shot Shot shotguns and lever actions. They’ve been sitting there for months. No one around here wants them anymore. The wood, fit and finish on those single shots was worth every penny they were charging. Unbelievable quality for a made in America firearm.
My grail gun was a Ruger #1 with iron sights. Say in 30.06 or .308 or 7mm-08 or with a mannlicher stock in 7x57 Mauser.
I regret not buying the Ruger no. 1 on consignment sale for $600 in 300 Win Mag that I came across last year. I truly regret it. But I was just coming off of several months of limbo between states and employment. I’m still a bit behind from all that. I won’t let something like that happen again. I am a big fan of single shot rifles. but like you, I think one in a 6.5 through .30 caliber would be perfect. Especially with the mannlicher stock. Linsey’s is ording them right now I think. Pricey, got to get the kids through college first. :)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

hugodrax
Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:14 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:01 am
I heartily agree, Thunk.
And Hugo.

Those who enjoy or feel the need for a Glock and an AR should be able to buy, own and shoot them. But I feel the balance has shifted over the course of my life from guns for sport to guns for self defense, and I regret it.

My first shotgun was a single-shot .410, a Stevens that I shared with my brother. I remember it very fondly. The Henry is a beautiful gun. I might just get one now that you’ve reminded me about them, Thunk.

I do understand that not everyone is able to choose to live relatively free from certain risks. I always prioritized where I would live over other considerations, and I know that the freedom to make such a choice was largely an accident of circumstance and not a choice available to everyone.

Still ...

I lament the transition from gun shop racks filled with walnut stocked double guns, model twelves and Wingmasters, elegant hunting rifles, wood and glass cases primarily displaying revolvers and plenty of short stocked, lightweight guns for youngsters - to apocalypse predicting survivalist shops with black polymer tactical everything. Autoloaders like the 1100 were there to soften recoil for those who shot a few hundred shells in a day at skeet or trap, or preferred them for waterfowling, not to hold a million shells in case of an attack of zombies.

I’d far rather live in a world where youngsters eagerly await the morning so they can go out before anyone else is up to hunt squirrels and rabbits with the family dog than one where they are led to dwell in fear of drug-crazed maniacs (that rarely if ever materialize) to kick down the doors of their homes.

I’d rather see gun magazine covers with pipe-smoking fathers and eager children dressed in red and black “camo” wool out in the fall woods than amateur SWATers in digital camo shooting at human shaped targets from behind plywood barriers.

There was crime when I was young. Bad things happened. We didn’t let their existence define our lives. Or our sport.

I own but one autoloading firearm, a .22 target pistol. My only other handgun is a revolver. I used to wear the revolver, visibly, in the woods. I never needed to use it there. I haven’t worn it in a while.

In a safe full of shotguns and rifles there’s but one “tactical” gun, a plastic stocked, extended magazine pump shotgun. It is not loaded. It is never leaning against a wall or waiting under the bed. I haven’t shot it in ages. I bought it for “home defense.”

And I might just go to the used bookstore and grab some Boy’s Life magazines from the 50s, if only for my mental health or a smile.
You always have a good perspective and a gentle way of expressing it, durangopipe. It always makes the conversation more pleasant.

Full disclosure here. I own a few pistols and revolvers. I do tend to carry an auto loader because, well, because of what I do. And they're fudd guns. A .45. A ppk/s. Stuff I bought as much for the beauty as the reliability. But like ever other semi-reasonable man, I pray that it remains in its holster. If I never have to draw it, woohoo!.

I dislike the atmosphere in a lot of local gun shops these days for exactly the reasons you raised. The guys that subscribe to Soldier of Fortune and talk about Rhodesia scare the crud out of me. Everything is designed with rail systems and everybody is a tactical operator.

Inshallah, some day I'd like to take you to Joel Etchen's shop in Stahlstown, PA. Nothing but shotguns, nobody open carrying. Reasonable conversations. Genuine expertise, no gun guy dialogue. A separate showroom for clothing is the only sign of the changing times.

That said, I've had my eyes opened recently by an acquaintance that is really into pistol competitions. Theres a lot of clean fun to be had there and the run and gun stuff is interesting.

All of that said, my tastes are very similar to yours. A lot of stuff I'll never own because, well, I think its dumb and I don't like it. But that will never mean I'd stop anyone else. I mean, we arent talking mayonnaise here. :D
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:28 am

At the Spring Gun Show, I noticed a stack of old books and magazines on a guys table. I didn't have a chance during the show to check them out, and I had decided that I was not a buyer at this show. As we were packing up to leave the guy came to my table and said that he had sold some, but he was tired of packing them around. He said I should keep them and read them and then pass them along. There were 5 Outdoor Life magazines from the 50s. I'll take them to the cabin this summer. Good reading material for the evenings.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:13 pm

durangopipe wrote:
I heartily agree, Thunk.
And Hugo.

Still ...

Yesterday, I asked my eleven year old a serious of questions about what he saw between a cheap import and the USA made value Henry shotgun. At first he was drawn to the two barrels of the import, then I asked him to carefully look at the wood and tell me what he sees as different. He pointed at the Henry shotgun and said, “I can see more of the inside of the tree on this one.” That made me chuckle. I replied that within the firearm tradition those insides are considered a very good thing. Then I showed him the difference in bluing. The Henry doesn’t have the best bluing out there, but it’s very good for the price point and IMO better than the sprayed on covering the import had. I’m working diligently to sway him against the tide. :)

Having said that, I don’t particularly like high gloss wood finished stocks and I can appreciate high quality synthetic stocks like what my Browning A-bolt has.

I do understand the appeal of the modular and customizable stuff out there. I was having a good time planning mine in fact. It’s different.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:30 pm

With you on high gloss wood, Thunk. My Browning has beautiful wood, but the finish looks lacquered.

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
I heartily agree, Thunk.
And Hugo.

Still ...

You always have a good perspective and a gentle way of expressing it, durangopipe. It always makes the conversation more pleasant.

Full disclosure here. I own a few pistols and revolvers. I do tend to carry an auto loader because, well, because of what I do. And they're fudd guns. A .45. A ppk/s. Stuff I bought as much for the beauty as the reliability. But like ever other semi-reasonable man, I pray that it remains in its holster. If I never have to draw it, woohoo!.

I dislike the atmosphere in a lot of local gun shops these days for exactly the reasons you raised. The guys that subscribe to Soldier of Fortune and talk about Rhodesia scare the crud out of me. Everything is designed with rail systems and everybody is a tactical operator.

Inshallah, some day I'd like to take you to Joel Etchen's shop in Stahlstown, PA. Nothing but shotguns, nobody open carrying. Reasonable conversations. Genuine expertise, no gun guy dialogue. A separate showroom for clothing is the only sign of the changing times.

That said, I've had my eyes opened recently by an acquaintance that is really into pistol competitions. Theres a lot of clean fun to be had there and the run and gun stuff is interesting.

All of that said, my tastes are very similar to yours. A lot of stuff I'll never own because, well, I think its dumb and I don't like it. But that will never mean I'd stop anyone else. I mean, we arent talking mayonnaise here. :D
+1
My introduction was hunting in the vineyards around my home town with my dad. I didn't shoot much in the Army Reserve (oddly enough I spent more time with Uncle's M-72 LAWs and a M-60s than with a M-16A1 or M-1911. My mom was a hand gunner, growing up on the farm being that her dad died while she was young and her mom, my grand mother, was partially blind so somebody had to hunt for vittles during the Great Depression and the only gun they owned was a Luger. My dad was issued an Official Police as a reserve officer with the local PD, but his love was hunting ducks and pheasant.
My interests lay mostly with shotguns(NRA shotgun instructor) and handguns, especially now that several violent gangs have become very active around here.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:47 pm

“hugodrax” wrote:Inshallah, some day I'd like to take you to Joel Etchen's shop in Stahlstown, PA. Nothing but shotguns, nobody open carrying. Reasonable conversations. Genuine expertise, no gun guy dialogue. A separate showroom for clothing is the only sign of the changing times.
I’d love that - even more than you might have imagined.

I know the family name well. Rudy Etchen was a legend in my day.

I studied Fred Etchen’s book, “Common Sense Shotgun Shooting,” religiously. I have a first edition of the book with a tipped in slip of paper inscribed by Fred that says, “Lets Go Hunting, Fred Etchen,” that came from my father’s library.

My father disappeared when I was 18, and I was too dumb before that to ask if my dad knew the Ethcens. My father was an avid hunter and shooter whose family has very deep roots in Pennsylvania. He was an accomplished large bore rifle competitor. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think the book and the slip of paper were given to my father by Fred.

What memories you’ve resurrected, hugo.

ImageImageImage
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Hovannes wrote:My interests lay mostly with shotguns(NRA shotgun instructor) and handguns, especially now that several violent gangs have become very active around here.
I am so very sorry to know that you have to deal with this, Hov.

hugodrax

Post by hugodrax » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:47 pm
“hugodrax” wrote:Inshallah, some day I'd like to take you to Joel Etchen's shop in Stahlstown, PA. Nothing but shotguns, nobody open carrying. Reasonable conversations. Genuine expertise, no gun guy dialogue. A separate showroom for clothing is the only sign of the changing times.
I’d love that - even more than you might have imagined.

I know the family name well. Rudy Etchen was a legend in my day.

I studied Fred Etchen’s book, “Common Sense Shotgun Shooting,” religiously. I have a first edition of the book with a tipped in slip of paper inscribed by Fred that says, “Lets Go Hunting, Fred Etchen,” that came from my father’s library.

My father disappeared when I was 18, and I was too dumb before that to ask if my dad knew the Ethcens. My father was an avid hunter and shooter whose family has very deep roots in Pennsylvania. He was an accomplished large bore rifle competitor. I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to think the book and the slip of paper were given to my father by Fred.

What memories you’ve resurrected, hugo.

ImageImageImage
Oh, my. That's not even three degrees of separation.

The shotgun community is so interconnected. I'm composing a PM right now. We're probably the only two here that know that family and I'd kind of like to swap tales.

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:12 am

I think the Ruger SP101 will ride my hip today. Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:32 am

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:12 am
I think the Ruger SP101 will ride my hip today. Image

Very nice choice.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am

Another forum had a thread that made me search out the picture of this old classic. I like it so much I thought I would share it here.

This is a 1974 Ruger Super Single Six .22LR/.22Magnum I is a gun that I bought from a gunshow buddy that I knew for 10 plus years. He passed before the next show after I bought it. I have had it for a while and it has been carried on many adventures. Its just a cool old gun :)

Scott ( aka - Thor )

rgcurrey

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:25 am
Another forum had a thread that made me search out the picture of this old classic. I like it so much I thought I would share it here.

This is a 1974 Ruger Super Single Six .22LR/.22Magnum I is a gun that I bought from a gunshow buddy that I knew for 10 plus years. He passed before the next show after I bought it. I have had it for a while and it has been carried on many adventures. Its just a cool old gun :)

Probably one of the coolest and most fun guns ever made.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:23 pm
Bloodhound wrote:

Every time I put hands on this gun, I see this in my mind

Scott ( aka - Thor )

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm

rgcurrey wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

I have one in stainless. I dare say they are the best .22 revolvers ever made.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

rgcurrey

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:20 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:38 pm
rgcurrey wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:

I have one in stainless. I dare say they are the best .22 revolvers ever made.

I am envious of both of you. Although I have had the chance to shoot one I do not own one. The Super Single Six and the Single Nine (22mag) have long been dream guns of mine.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Since we're discussing .22lr pistols, here's my fave---S&W Model 41, with the heavy bull barrel and Keng sights:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Hovannes wrote:Since we're discussing .22lr pistols, here's my fave---S&W Model 41, with the heavy bull barrel and Keng sights:
That's pretty!

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Hovannes wrote:Since we're discussing .22lr pistols, here's my fave---S&W Model 41, with the heavy bull barrel and Keng sights:
That's pretty!

Very nice.