GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles
Posts: 2488
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm going to the gun club tomorrow and taking a friend so he can zero in his Ruger M77. I'm going to take my Ruger Mk 4. I bought it a month ago but haven't shot it yet. It's going to be a Ruger day. The club is very nice and only costs 300.00 a year, 200.00 if you help out on four work days. It's a nice set up with a 200 yard rifle range, 100 yard rifle and handgun range, 20 yard rimfire range, skeet range, handgun range, four open ranges where you can set up barricades for combat shooting and an archery range. There are very few people there on weekdays so you pretty much get the place to yourself. The only problem is that it's sixty miles from my house. Here's the link to it if anybody wants to check it out.

https://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org
Looks like a great facility and group of members.

We have a very nice range here, run by the Department of Parks and Wildlife - and free to the public.
But it closes for the winter. :(

There’s also a private club range, but I’m not crazy about the membership - seems to be dominated by cranky old men. I’m an old man, but I try not to be cranky.

My shooting is likely over until spring.

:pipe3:
I'm waiting for our public range to open back up after a year and a half of maintenance. They're no saying December. I've got an 1842 smoothbore that I built a year ago and I am dying to send some .69 buck and ball downrange!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:45 am

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm going to the gun club tomorrow and taking a friend so he can zero in his Ruger M77. I'm going to take my Ruger Mk 4. I bought it a month ago but haven't shot it yet. It's going to be a Ruger day. The club is very nice and only costs 300.00 a year, 200.00 if you help out on four work days. It's a nice set up with a 200 yard rifle range, 100 yard rifle and handgun range, 20 yard rimfire range, skeet range, handgun range, four open ranges where you can set up barricades for combat shooting and an archery range. There are very few people there on weekdays so you pretty much get the place to yourself. The only problem is that it's sixty miles from my house. Here's the link to it if anybody wants to check it out.

https://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org
Looks like a great facility and group of members.

We have a very nice range here, run by the Department of Parks and Wildlife - and free to the public.
But it closes for the winter. :(

There’s also a private club range, but I’m not crazy about the membership - seems to be dominated by cranky old men. I’m an old man, but I try not to be cranky.

My shooting is likely over until spring.

:pipe3:
The PCWC was controlled by a ruling elite for decades that thought they owned it. It got so bad that membership started dropping and finally a younger group of guys were voted in as club officers about 15 years ago. They changed things and now we have lots of members. Anti 2nd amendment politicians helped with the membership too and the club is growing now. The dues are crazy low considering the facilities and we get CMP benefits along with our membership.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26192
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:49 am

Zombies, guns, and tooth decay

Paul Harrell discourses:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm

I had a good time at the range today. My buddy was shooting a Ruger M77 and shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. No cloverleafs but he did great considering he hasn't shot it in years. I only took my new Ruger MK IV .22. That thing is a nice shooting plinker. I actually hit a golf ball at 50 yards with it.....once. Fun. I wish the club was closer to my house than 60 miles.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7437
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm
I had a good time at the range today. My buddy was shooting a Ruger M77 and shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. No cloverleafs but he did great considering he hasn't shot it in years. I only took my new Ruger MK IV .22. That thing is a nice shooting plinker. I actually hit a golf ball at 50 yards with it.....once. Fun. I wish the club was closer to my house than 60 miles.
1 1/2” @ 100 yds. Is not at all atypical for a good shooter off a bench with an unmodified M77.
That’s about as good as I could ever do with my stock .270 M77 Hawkeye with a 3-9 scope and 130gr. Core-Lokt.

It shoots a little better with the Hornady Custom 140gr. SST I shot in it when I was still carrying it. Hornady stopped making the 140gr. Custom SST as a factory load, but I stocked up on them before they went away. I tried the Superformance factory loads in it when they came out and found they didn’t shoot as well in my rifle.

I gave my son all of my metallic cartridge reloading gear a long time ago. I hardly had enough time to keep up with the shotshells I was loading. And my stash of factory and loaded ammo was and remains even more embarrassing than my stash of tobacco was. :lol:

At any rate, 1 1/2” at 100 yards is great with an M77 in most calibers, and just fine in a medium and larger game rifle - better than fine.

I am quite fond of M77s myself.

I’d love to pick up a few with the tang safety, but I think my rifle acquiring days are likely over. I have far more rifles than I have time to shoot as it is.

What model of the 77, and what bore and ammunition was your buddy shooting?

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:38 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm
I had a good time at the range today. My buddy was shooting a Ruger M77 and shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. No cloverleafs but he did great considering he hasn't shot it in years. I only took my new Ruger MK IV .22. That thing is a nice shooting plinker. I actually hit a golf ball at 50 yards with it.....once. Fun. I wish the club was closer to my house than 60 miles.
1 1/2” @ 100 yds. Is not at all atypical for a good shooter off a bench with an unmodified M77.
That’s about as good as I could ever do with my stock .270 M77 Hawkeye with a 3-9 scope and 130gr. Core-Lokt.

It shoots a little better with the Hornady Custom 140gr. SST I shot in it when I was still carrying it. Hornady stopped making the 140gr. Custom SST as a factory load, but I stocked up on them before they went away. I tried the Superformance factory loads in it when they came out and found they didn’t shoot as well in my rifle.

I gave my son all of my metallic cartridge reloading gear a long time ago. I hardly had enough time to keep up with the shotshells I was loading. And my stash of factory and loaded ammo was and remains even more embarrassing than my stash of tobacco was. :lol:

At any rate, 1 1/2” at 100 yards is great with an M77 in most calibers, and just fine in a medium and larger game rifle - better than fine.

I am quite fond of M77s myself.

I’d love to pick up a few with the tang safety, but I think my rifle acquiring days are likely over. I have far more rifles than I have time to shoot as it is.

What model of the 77, and what bore and ammunition was your buddy shooting?

:pipe3:
I sent him an email asking him. It's a .308 and the tight groups were with some old ammunition he was shooting up but I don't know what it was. He also shot some old military ball ammo that he had to take off of belt clips but those groups were about 3-4". I asked him for info on the scope and a photo also. It's on a Ruger composite stock with a bipod but it is not customized at all.

In the meantime, this is my .308. I didn't take it yesterday. I bought it several years ago from a friend who is a long distance shooter. He had it custom built about 15 years ago. I don't remember the details of the specs but it's built around a Remington 700 action and the scope is a Leupold MK IV. I have some of his hand loads left; 175 gr Nosler HPBT/43.5 gr RG15.

Image

Image
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7437
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:04 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:38 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm
I had a good time at the range today. My buddy was shooting a Ruger M77 and shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. No cloverleafs but he did great considering he hasn't shot it in years. I only took my new Ruger MK IV .22. That thing is a nice shooting plinker. I actually hit a golf ball at 50 yards with it.....once. Fun. I wish the club was closer to my house than 60 miles.
1 1/2” @ 100 yds. Is not at all atypical for a good shooter off a bench with an unmodified M77.
That’s about as good as I could ever do with my stock .270 M77 Hawkeye with a 3-9 scope and 130gr. Core-Lokt.

It shoots a little better with the Hornady Custom 140gr. SST I shot in it when I was still carrying it. Hornady stopped making the 140gr. Custom SST as a factory load, but I stocked up on them before they went away. I tried the Superformance factory loads in it when they came out and found they didn’t shoot as well in my rifle.

I gave my son all of my metallic cartridge reloading gear a long time ago. I hardly had enough time to keep up with the shotshells I was loading. And my stash of factory and loaded ammo was and remains even more embarrassing than my stash of tobacco was. :lol:

At any rate, 1 1/2” at 100 yards is great with an M77 in most calibers, and just fine in a medium and larger game rifle - better than fine.

I am quite fond of M77s myself.

I’d love to pick up a few with the tang safety, but I think my rifle acquiring days are likely over. I have far more rifles than I have time to shoot as it is.

What model of the 77, and what bore and ammunition was your buddy shooting?

:pipe3:
I sent him an email asking him. It's a .308 and the tight groups were with some old ammunition he was shooting up but I don't know what it was. He also shot some old military ball ammo that he had to take off of belt clips but those groups were about 3-4". I asked him for info on the scope and a photo also. It's on a Ruger composite stock with a bipod but it is not customized at all.

In the meantime, this is my .308. I didn't take it yesterday. I bought it several years ago from a friend who is a long distance shooter. He had it custom built about 15 years ago. I don't remember the details of the specs but it's built around a Remington 700 action and the scope is a Leupold MK IV. I have some of his hand loads left; 175 gr Nosler HPBT/43.5 gr RG15.

Image

Image
That’s a beauty!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:13 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:11 pm
I had a good time at the range today. My buddy was shooting a Ruger M77 and shooting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with it. No cloverleafs but he did great considering he hasn't shot it in years. I only took my new Ruger MK IV .22. That thing is a nice shooting plinker. I actually hit a golf ball at 50 yards with it.....once. Fun. I wish the club was closer to my house than 60 miles.
1 1/2” @ 100 yds. Is not at all atypical for a good shooter off a bench with an unmodified M77.
That’s about as good as I could ever do with my stock .270 M77 Hawkeye with a 3-9 scope and 130gr. Core-Lokt.

It shoots a little better with the Hornady Custom 140gr. SST I shot in it when I was still carrying it. Hornady stopped making the 140gr. Custom SST as a factory load, but I stocked up on them before they went away. I tried the Superformance factory loads in it when they came out and found they didn’t shoot as well in my rifle.

I gave my son all of my metallic cartridge reloading gear a long time ago. I hardly had enough time to keep up with the shotshells I was loading. And my stash of factory and loaded ammo was and remains even more embarrassing than my stash of tobacco was. :lol:

At any rate, 1 1/2” at 100 yards is great with an M77 in most calibers, and just fine in a medium and larger game rifle - better than fine.

I am quite fond of M77s myself.

I’d love to pick up a few with the tang safety, but I think my rifle acquiring days are likely over. I have far more rifles than I have time to shoot as it is.

What model of the 77, and what bore and ammunition was your buddy shooting?

:pipe3:
HIs rifle is a Ruger .308 M77 Mark II The scope is a Leupold Vari-X 3.5 - 10X50mm
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7437
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:32 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 am
HIs rifle is a Ruger .308 M77 Mark II The scope is a Leupold Vari-X 3.5 - 10X50mm
Nice setup.
:thumbsup:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am

My ears perk up when I hear folks talking about the .308 One of my all time favorite rounds. Every big game animal I have ever taken, not a big number but they were all with a Winchester model 88 in .308 and the rounds were my hand loads. The .308 is the bottom rifle. It wears a Denver Redfield 2-7x40 scope in Redfield base and rings

Image
Last edited by Bloodhound on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:12 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am
My ears perk up when I hear folks talking about the .308 One of my all time favorite rounds. Every big game animal I have ever taken, not a big number but they were all with a Winchester model 88 in .308 and they rounds were my hand loads. The .308 is the bottom rifle. It wears a Denver Redfield 2-7x40 scope in Redfield base and rings

Image
Those are nice! I have a Savage Model 99 in .308 but there's no scope on it. It's an E model which was the cheapest most basic (E for Economy) model. The thing kicks like a mule and I have never hunted with it. 99's in .308 aren't very common though so I'm glad I got it when I did.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7437
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am
My ears perk up when I hear folks talking about the .308 One of my all time favorite rounds. Every big game animal I have ever taken, not a big number but they were all with a Winchester model 88 in .308 and the rounds were my hand loads. The .308 is the bottom rifle. It wears a Denver Redfield 2-7x40 scope in Redfield base and rings

Image

Really sweet rifles, Scott.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am
My ears perk up when I hear folks talking about the .308 One of my all time favorite rounds. Every big game animal I have ever taken, not a big number but they were all with a Winchester model 88 in .308 and the rounds were my hand loads. The .308 is the bottom rifle. It wears a Denver Redfield 2-7x40 scope in Redfield base and rings

Image

Really sweet rifles, Scott.
Thanks

The one on top is a .243 with a Denver Redfield 3-9x40 scope.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1782
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:57 am
durangopipe wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:51 am
Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:17 am
My ears perk up when I hear folks talking about the .308 One of my all time favorite rounds. Every big game animal I have ever taken, not a big number but they were all with a Winchester model 88 in .308 and the rounds were my hand loads. The .308 is the bottom rifle. It wears a Denver Redfield 2-7x40 scope in Redfield base and rings

Image

Really sweet rifles, Scott.
Thanks

The one on top is a .243 with a Denver Redfield 3-9x40 scope.
The best part about these rifles are the magazines. Savage 99 has some bizarre integral rotary magazine that not even a gunsmith will attempt to reassemble if you are dumb enough to take it apart to clean it.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9479
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:06 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 am


The best part about these rifles are the magazines. Savage 99 has some bizarre integral rotary magazine that not even a gunsmith will attempt to reassemble if you are dumb enough to take it apart to clean it.

Truth...It is very easy to put in the pocket of a hunting coat, or unload when you get back to the truck or crossing a fence or...

I really like the 88, fast handy and good shooters...not a great trigger, but you can't have it all.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26192
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm

I stopped by the local Walmart today. The ammo was marked down for clearance. Some of it substantial---.45JHP was $30/box instead of $40 .40 was half of that.The shelves were full and the clerk said the management were cleaning out the warehouses.
With the cost of ammunition inching up in CA this was a nice, if temporary economy.
I'll take my business to the local ACE and Sportsman's Warehouse, and hand load from here on in.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Post Reply