GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 pm
Our range has been open for a while now.
I will be shooting clay targets with my buds tomorrow morning.

I haven’t taken a shotgun out of my safe or seen a clay target in 6 months.
I will suck.

But I sure will have fun.

(Went to my favorite gun shop to buy some clays and some more 20ga. shells this afternoon. They were out. There was a “socially distanced” line a mile long waiting to get into Walmart. I drove home. Fortunately, I still have a few cases of clays and some shells, but I’m going to have to get the dust cover off of my loader this weekend!)
Do enjoy!

Son2 finished his online Hunters Safety classes today. :)

We went to the high desert in the foothills area this past weekend to do a bit of off road, plinking and scouting for quail. We saw several breeding pairs of Gambles quail, but didn’t see any chicks, though they may have been under cover as the ravens were out in force too.

Anyway, Son1 did his first drive up and down a steep hill in 4low to get to a good spot on BLM land to shoot our rimfires. We also cleaned up after the last guy who must have been shooting a Tarus Judge as there were fresh 45 and 410 shot shells left behind. Why can’t people pick up after themselves before we lose more privileges?

I plan to introduce Son2 to the sporting clays range soon too. He has not fired a shotgun yet. Son1 prefers shotgunning over the rifle. My preference is the rifle and Son2 just likes to shoot any gun I hand him.

I have no idea what the lines might be to get into the ammunition shops. I’m so sick of the panic buying and it almost seems like any excuse to panic buy is a good one these days. Yet somehow, those same characters like to say we’re (we as in not them) the ones panicking over Covid 19.
Sounds like you had a good time, Thunk.
Few things better than hanging out with your boys just doing “stuff.”

My boy is 43 now, but he still wants to go to the range every time he visits.
My granddaughters’ interest in shooting seems to come and go. I chalk it up to them being city kids.

Hopefully, they’ll get into it again one day. But they both have done a fair amount of shooting in the past (.22 and shotguns) and know how to handle long guns and gun safety.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm

durangopipe wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am
fezzik092 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am
I've not shot anything since I was a kid learning about black powder rifles in the scouts. My brother keeps telling me that we're going to the range now that they're open again.
I have two gun projects going, but as soon as they are done, black powder is my next adventure. I’ve wanted to try it since I was a kid.
Black powder is one of those things I never got around to doing.
And at my age, I've already got too darn much "stuff."

But it sure appears to be fun.
Black powder is where my heart is. The civil war era guns are my personal favorite. The Italians are putting out fabulous repros these days.
Getting a basic, traditional side lock Hawken or Kentucky percussion rifle on the used market is a very affordable way to start. Just check the bore! Often these guns were shot once and cleaned poorly or not at all before being put away.
Real black powder is just about extinct except for online. I've been using pyrodex for several years now and the only down sides to it are that it doesn't work well in flintlocks and you have to clean the guns very well after use.
If you have any questions about starting up in the hobby, shoot me a PM. I enjoy helping others make those big white clouds.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri May 22, 2020 7:38 pm

joegoat wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:03 pm
durangopipe wrote:
JimVH wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am
fezzik092 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:50 am
I've not shot anything since I was a kid learning about black powder rifles in the scouts. My brother keeps telling me that we're going to the range now that they're open again.
I have two gun projects going, but as soon as they are done, black powder is my next adventure. I’ve wanted to try it since I was a kid.
Black powder is one of those things I never got around to doing.
And at my age, I've already got too darn much "stuff."

But it sure appears to be fun.
Black powder is where my heart is. The civil war era guns are my personal favorite. The Italians are putting out fabulous repros these days.
Getting a basic, traditional side lock Hawken or Kentucky percussion rifle on the used market is a very affordable way to start. Just check the bore! Often these guns were shot once and cleaned poorly or not at all before being put away.
Real black powder is just about extinct except for online. I've been using pyrodex for several years now and the only down sides to it are that it doesn't work well in flintlocks and you have to clean the guns very well after use.
If you have any questions about starting up in the hobby, shoot me a PM. I enjoy helping others make those big white clouds.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
My farmer friend in Pretty Prairie, Kansas got a black powder hammer shotgun kit from his son for Christmas many years ago. When we went out there to hunt birds with him after Christmas, he carried the hammer gun.

It was a sight to see. Especially toward dark!

Yes, a BIG cloud of smoke, and a long orange plume of flame out the bores. The lock and ignition time were so different from a modern gun, it seemed like he had to keep swinging for an hour after pulling the trigger to stay on the birds.

That was Richard Stucky, one of the best wings shots I know. He killed a lot of birds with that gun. I think there's an illustration by Jack Unruh in an old Field and Stream of him shooting that shotgun. Maybe it was in Jack's journal - but I remember seeing it. Of course, Jack exaggerated the cloud of smoke and the fire coming out of the barrels.

I doubt I'd be able to hit a thing with it. And no, I didn't try.

:lol:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 23, 2020 11:09 am

Set up the loader for 20ga. shells.
Loaded 100 shells yesterday in about an hour.

Now, I’m just cranking out a few here and there between doing other stuff.
It adds up pretty quickly even with a single-stage loader.

The loader is a 1974 Ponsness Warren 375 Du-O-Matic. You can still get them, and they’ve hardly changed at all.

I have plenty of hulls. I had 1000 primers, a bag and a half of 7/8 oz. wads and a couple pounds of Uniqua powder on the shelf and a bottle of #8 shot plus an unopened #25 bag (plus a lot of #9 and #7 1/2 & #6 shot -but I’m loading #8). I’m glad I didn’t have to buy anything. I have no idea how much is available right now.

I hadn’t loaded any shells in about as long as I hadn’t seriously tied flies.
Seven years, maybe.

FredS
King Fredrik
King Fredrik

Post by FredS » Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 am

Made a run back to Kansas last weekend to pick up what will probably be the last of my dad's things before his widow sells the house. Before he died he gave my brothers and I the guns he really wanted us to have. Then he gave some to his step sons and sold the rest at auction. My mom died young and dad had been married to their mother for about 20 years so they and their children were certainly a big part of his life (and he in theirs) and my bros and I have never held any ill will towards them or had any issue with their share of the 'estate'. Anyway, somehow there was one long gun and three handguns left so I brought home the rifle. A 1957 Marlin 39A lever action 22. It's drilled and tapped for a scope but the scope is in a bag with a few other loose parts. It has a nylon sling on it, which leads me to think this was a working gun that he'd actually been using lately. This thing is tighter and cleaner than a 60 year old gun deserves to be and has enough heft out front that I can hold it rock steady from the offhand position.

If anybody has a prairie dog colony that needs thinning I'm your man.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 am

FredS wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:16 am
Made a run back to Kansas last weekend to pick up what will probably be the last of my dad's things before his widow sells the house. Before he died he gave my brothers and I the guns he really wanted us to have. Then he gave some to his step sons and sold the rest at auction. My mom died young and dad had been married to their mother for about 20 years so they and their children were certainly a big part of his life (and he in theirs) and my bros and I have never held any ill will towards them or had any issue with their share of the 'estate'. Anyway, somehow there was one long gun and three handguns left so I brought home the rifle. A 1957 Marlin 39A lever action 22. It's drilled and tapped for a scope but the scope is in a bag with a few other loose parts. It has a nylon sling on it, which leads me to think this was a working gun that he'd actually been using lately. This thing is tighter and cleaner than a 60 year old gun deserves to be and has enough heft out front that I can hold it rock steady from the offhand position.

If anybody has a prairie dog colony that needs thinning I'm your man.
The 39A is one classy, terrifically well-made, accurate rimfire Fred.
I’m glad you have it both to shoot and as a keepsake.

You might enjoy this video:

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm

Durangopipe

My reloading space is a little more messy and cluttered than yours but the press is the same. I have had it for about 18 years. I bought it used and it is set up with both 12ga and 20 ga...and in the postal box in the pic, is a set of 16ga tooling for it. I also have a 12ga PW 800B from when I was shooting trap and skeet with the club in Montrose...now it sits unused with only the 375 and the Duck Dynasty poster for company

Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
Doctor of Falconology
Doctor of Falconology

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:23 pm
Durangopipe

My reloading space is a little more messy and cluttered than yours but the press is the same. I have had it for about 18 years. I bought it used and it is set up with both 12ga and 20 ga...and in the postal box in the pic, is a set of 16ga tooling for it. I also have a 12ga PW 800B from when I was shooting trap and skeet with the club in Montrose...now it sits unused with only the 375 and the Duck Dynasty poster for company

Nice stuff, but I like the poster. I have deep respect for the Robertson family.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed May 27, 2020 1:08 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Durangopipe

Nice stuff, but I like the poster. I have deep respect for the Robertson family.
Wonderful single-stage loader, isn’t it.
I envy your 800B!

My turret has tools in it for 12ga. and 20ga., too, and my other set of tools is for 28ga. But I sold my 28ga. SXS to a friend and gave him all of my 28ga. hulls and wads.

I rediscovered how much uncluttered thinking you can get done while putting hulls, primers and wads into their spots and yanking on a handle - loaded until I ran out of 20ga. wads.

Turns out, I still have 1200 primers (way more than I thought I had initially), about as many wads, a few pounds of Red Dot and Green Dot, a bazillion 12ga. AA hulls, a fair amount of #6 shot (I used up my #9 and #8) ...

and a lot of thinking to do!

Might switch it over to 12ga.

:pipe3:

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 27, 2020 1:15 pm

I too am a Robertson family fan.

I miss the reloading almost as much as I miss the shooting. There is something so satifying putting loaded shotgun shells into the box..."rolling your own" ammo.

Closest range shooting under the lights is over an hour and a half away from me...3 hours of driving and shooting after work...just doesn't work for me...so I am limited to hunting season and 4 or 5 times a year that I can shoot sporting clays on a day off from work.

The club where our cabin is has a range and I am in the process of trying to get a thrower approved with bio-degradable clays... :chili:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 28, 2020 9:02 am

I took my CCW renewal class last night and did surprisingly better than I thought at the range, and even better on the laser simulator.
My given scenario: I'm at a gas pump filling my car.
The guy in front of me is also pumping gas
An attacker pops up from behind the hood of the car in front of me with a raised club, about to cleave the skull of the guy filling his car at the pump in front of me.
With my adrenalin pumping(it's amazing how good these laser simulators are) I drew and fired three quick shots.

Not a good response---I should have yelled a warning and waited for the good guy in front of me to fall, giving me a clear shot at the bad guy before he could come after me.
That's what I should have done instead of shooting both the bad guy and the good guy 8O .

For fun the instructor went back over the scenario to see where my laser shots landed.

I completely missed the good guy and hit the bad guy in his right hip, which probably would have dropped him immediately, ending his attack on the good guy. 8)
The instructor and the rest of the class were stunned :chili:
Admittedly though, it was just a very lucky shot, :oops:
"Praise be to Mary, her child and all those with them in Paradise."---Paulus Kal

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 28, 2020 12:07 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:08 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Durangopipe

I envy your 800B!

My turret has tools in it for 12ga. and 20ga., too, and my other set of tools is for 28ga. But I sold my 28ga. SXS to a friend and gave him all of my 28ga. hulls and wads.

I rediscovered how much uncluttered thinking you can get done while putting hulls, primers and wads into their spots and yanking on a handle - loaded until I ran out of 20ga. wads.

Turns out, I still have 1200 primers (way more than I thought I had initially), about as many wads, a few pounds of Red Dot and Green Dot, a bazillion 12ga. AA hulls, a fair amount of #6 shot (I used up my #9 and #8) ...

I don’t know know if either of you can answer this, but could you describe your experience with the P and W loader in comparison to Mec loaders? I keep thinking I would like to upgrade someday from my Lee Load All, which honestly does get the job done with lots of tlc. I have used the Mec Jr. a lot as well as my Dad has those. I’m also interested in ease of gauge changes and shot by volume capability for use with non toxic shot.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu May 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Durangopipe

I envy your 800B!

I don’t know know if either of you can answer this, but could you describe your experience with the P and W loader in comparison to Mec loaders? I keep thinking I would like to upgrade someday from my Lee Load All, which honestly does get the job done with lots of tlc. I have used the Mec Jr. a lot as well as my Dad has those. I’m also interested in ease of gauge changes and shot by volume capability for use with non toxic shot.
I only have personal experience with this loader, Thunk.

And I haven’t had to load any non-toxic shot where I mostly shoot and hunt - I bought loaded steel shot shells for the little waterfowling I used to do. I’ve only ever had pointing dogs, and I hunt more for my dogs than for me.

But all PW loaders are non-toxic shot compatible (according to the manuals) and there are conversion charts for the shot bushings. The standard bushings are compatible with steel and other non-toxic shot.

Both brands load fine shells, but looking at the quality of their build there’s no question that the PW is manufactured to a higher standard and I would guess that the PW will last longer without the need for repairs or replacement parts.

With no exaggeration, I’ve loaded tens of thousands of shells on mine (I used to regularly shoot 3 days a week, 100-125 shells a day) and I got it from Jack Unruh who loaded with it before I got it. Nothing has yet required anything other than lubrication or a screw tightened here and there. I had to have a shotgun rebuilt in that time, but not the loader. :D

As for changing over to other gauges, once the tools are adjusted on a PW, they can be removed, exchanged with tools for another gauge and then replaced without need for re-adjusting.

If you’re looking for a single-stage loader, the 375 Du-O-Matic has a turret that holds the tools for two gauges. It takes less than five minutes to convert from one to the other. A second set of tools adds around another $150 (depending on gauge) to the cost of the press.

Tool set:

The crimp starter in the standard set only works on pre-fired hulls. They make a sharp, steel crimp starter for un-fired hulls - which is the one I got with the press and use for everything.

I’m sure Bloodhound can tell you far more about PW multi-stage loaders.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu May 28, 2020 3:11 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:40 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:07 pm
durangopipe wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Durangopipe

I envy your 800B!

I only have personal experience with this loader, Thunk.

And I haven’t had to load any non-toxic shot where I mostly shoot and hunt - I bought loaded steel shot shells for the little waterfowling I used to do. I’ve only ever had pointing dogs, and I hunt more for my dogs than for me.

But all PW loaders are non-toxic shot compatible (according to the manuals) and there are conversion charts for the shot bushings. The standard bushings are compatible with steel and other non-toxic shot.

Both brands load fine shells, but looking at the quality of their build there’s no question that the PW is manufactured to a higher standard and I would guess that the PW will last longer without the need for repairs or replacement parts.

With no exaggeration, I’ve loaded tens of thousands of shells on mine (I used to regularly shoot 3 days a week, 100-125 shells a day) and I got it from Jack Unruh who loaded with it before I got it. Nothing has yet required anything other than lubrication or a screw tightened here and there. I had to have a shotgun rebuilt in that time, but not the loader. :D

As for changing over to other gauges, once the tools are adjusted on a PW, they can be removed, exchanged with tools for another gauge and then replaced without need for re-adjusting.

If you’re looking for a single-stage loader, the 375 Du-O-Matic has a turret that holds the tools for two gauges. It takes less than five minutes to convert from one to the other. A second set of tools adds around another $150 (depending on gauge) to the cost of the press.

Tool set:

The crimp starter in the standard set only works on pre-fired hulls. They make a sharp, steel crimp starter for un-fired hulls - which is the one I got with the press and use for everything.

I’m sure Bloodhound can tell you far more about PW multi-stage loaders.
Thank you.

PW loaders certainly appear robust, I can only imagine how much of a joy it would be to use one if they operate as well as look like they can.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness