GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Sun May 25, 2014 6:33 am

Kerdy wrote:
hogleg wrote:Guns! I own them. I buy them. I trade them. I sell them. I shoot them. I carry them. I like them! I give them away to Kerdy!
:whistling:

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Sun May 25, 2014 6:34 am

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 25, 2014 7:48 am

The Gun Culture, if you can call it a "culture" has, I fear, been usurped by greedy and murderous nitwits in opposition to a greedy and murderous government.
And Leyland Yee is their poster boy.

A firearm is a useful tool and there is a great deal of satisfaction to be derived from using a tool well. It is also a tradition handed down from father to son (as are the firearms themselves---steel and walnut lasts for generations if cared for(another tenet of the "culture" I knew)
The opposite of tradition, GK Chesterton wrote, is fashion. The fashion that has replaced tradition is called tacticool and the noble endeavors of conservation and hunting for food, defending one's family and country, law enforcement and honing shooting skills through target sports appears to me to have been mightily corrupted.
Appleseed Project=Good; Mall Ninjas=Bad
DEUS VULT!

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Sun May 25, 2014 7:58 am

Hovannes wrote:The Gun Culture, if you can call it a "culture" has, I fear, been usurped by greedy and murderous nitwits in opposition to a greedy and murderous government.

A firearm is a useful tool and there is a great deal of satisfaction to be derived from using a tool well. It is also a tradition handed down from father to son (as are the firearms themselves---steel and walnut lasts for generations if cared for(another tenet of the "culture" I knew)
The opposite of tradition, GK Chesterton wrote, is fashion. The fashion that has replaced tradition is called tacticool and the noble endeavors of conservation and hunting for food, defending one's family and country, law enforcement and honing shooting skills through target sports appears to me to have been mightily corrupted.
Yet the AR15 has truly become America's rifle.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun May 25, 2014 9:16 am

hogleg wrote:
Hovannes wrote:The Gun Culture, if you can call it a "culture" has, I fear, been usurped by greedy and murderous nitwits in opposition to a greedy and murderous government.

Yet the AR15 has truly become America's rifle.
Just like the Garand and the Springfield before it.
DEUS VULT!

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 am

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Tue May 27, 2014 5:56 pm

Intrastate private sales. It's the only way to fly.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Here's an eye opener about Lewis and Clark's Girandoni air rifle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pqFyKh-rUI
DEUS VULT!

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu May 29, 2014 1:08 pm

I recently sold my Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06 that I had used to deer hunt with for the past 12 years or so. It would not produce a small enough group to give me any confidence in any shots over 150 yards. Even though I need the money, I am going to set aside the proceeds in my gun cabinet until I can purchase a replacement. I am not in a big hurry as there are serviceable rifles in my collection.

I am seriously considering a Savage (maybe the 114). I will stick with 30-06 caliber. I want something that is accurate out of the box and accurate with factory loads. I will not be shooting a lot or handloading in the foreseeable future. I will also be looking for a good value in a scope, probably in a 50mm objective. For the money, Bushnell Elites were real good, but I have not looked lately.

What do you experts have to say?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 29, 2014 1:50 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:I recently sold my Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06 that I had used to deer hunt with for the past 12 years or so. It would not produce a small enough group to give me any confidence in any shots over 150 yards. Even though I need the money, I am going to set aside the proceeds in my gun cabinet until I can purchase a replacement. I am not in a big hurry as there are serviceable rifles in my collection.

I am seriously considering a Savage (maybe the 114). I will stick with 30-06 caliber. I want something that is accurate out of the box and accurate with factory loads. I will not be shooting a lot or handloading in the foreseeable future. I will also be looking for a good value in a scope, probably in a 50mm objective. For the money, Bushnell Elites were real good, but I have not looked lately.

Depends on how much kudsu you have to wade through in order to get a shot.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:I recently sold my Ruger M77 Mark II 30-06 that I had used to deer hunt with for the past 12 years or so. It would not produce a small enough group to give me any confidence in any shots over 150 yards. Even though I need the money, I am going to set aside the proceeds in my gun cabinet until I can purchase a replacement. I am not in a big hurry as there are serviceable rifles in my collection.

Depends on how much kudsu you have to wade through in order to get a shot.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Girandoni :wink:
DEUS VULT!

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Thu May 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Savage makes good shooters.

With Ruger rifles you're lucky to get a good shooter, and exceptional shooters are rare.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 29, 2014 3:13 pm

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 30, 2014 7:26 am

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:26 am

‘Open carry’ supporters rally in North Texas
“I don’t walk around with this AR-15 for the fun of it," said Chris Donawho. "It's kind of a heavy gun. I’d much rather have my sidearm."

mont974x4
Minister of Canola Mustard
Minister of Canola Mustard

Post by mont974x4 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:36 pm

UncleBob wrote:‘Open carry’ supporters rally in North Texas
“I don’t walk around with this AR-15 for the fun of it," said Chris Donawho. "It's kind of a heavy gun. I’d much rather have my sidearm."
Sadly guns have been so demeaned that the practicing of our right to carry openly has become a boogeyman. The answer, IMO, is more open carry events to normalize it again. They're not inciting fear or violence, but the media reaction to it cetainly is. Sad and horrible things happen to rights that are not regularly enjoyed.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:44 pm

mont974x4 wrote:
UncleBob wrote:‘Open carry’ supporters rally in North Texas
Sadly guns have been so demeaned that the practicing of our right to carry openly has become a boogeyman. The answer, IMO, is more open carry events to normalize it again. They're not inciting fear or violence, but the media reaction to it cetainly is. Sad and horrible things happen to rights that are not regularly enjoyed.
NRA says Open Carry Texas demonstrations 'downright scary'
"Let’s not mince words," the post on the NRA's site said, "not only is it rare, it’s downright weirdand certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one’s cause, it can be downright scary.It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.