GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:43 am

“Hovannes” wrote: Did AYAs come with chrome bores? I had to retire my old SXS when CA outlawed lead shot (ITX and Bismuth are too expensive for this kid!)
My Lanber OU has a single trigger but I really miss double triggers!
Yes. They were available with lots of options, but chromed bores were standard.
SXS guns were usually ordered with double triggers.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 am

The new ammo laws in CA have been put on hold by the CA DOJ----they don't have the technology in place to implement them.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 am

"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:22 am

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am

I got to spend a little time out at the range with my daughter yesterday. It's been way too long since we've done that. Good times for sure.

Sola Deo Gloria

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am
I got to spend a little time out at the range with my daughter yesterday. It's been way too long since we've done that. Good times for sure.

Nice! I wanted to do that this weekend with my kids to, but. . .
Last edited by Thunktank on Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm

I’m in the process of building a “modern sporting rifle” from scratch.

I’m diggin it!

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:58 pm

For some reason this reminds me of CPS theology sometimes. The end is the best part. :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3V3oT7BRiWo

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 am

Your pictures inspired me, Gabe.

I took my boys to the desert yesterday where it’s legal to target shoot. We had a great time plinking. It was my ten year old’s first time shooting off the bench. He loved it and didn’t want to quit at the end of the day. We went through over a thousand rounds yesterday.

We shot a few rimfires mostly, but I also did some practical shooting with my pocket pistol and took a few shots with the Ruger 77 Hawkeye that I bought last year. I found the accuracy poor last year, I wasn’t happy at all. Did some research and discovered that Model 77s may work one screw loose sometimes that effects accuracy. So, I tightened that screw up which was indeed loose and tried it again. My handloads produced sub MOA with it yesterday. Now I’m happy with it. :dance:

This morning, after weeks of personal deliberation, I joined the California Rifle and Pistol Association again and donated some much needed funds. Even though I’m likely moving to Texas soon, I still love California despite it’s problems. She’s worthy to fight for.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:58 pm

An old sporting goods store is closing. I found a bag of 100x148gr swaged .38 wadcutters for reloading. 70% off equaled a buck and four incl tax

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm

I’m diggin it!
Did you start with magnetite ore and a large hickory branch?
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:19 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:34 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:22 pm

I’m diggin it!
Did you start with magnetite ore and a large hickory branch?
Nope, a block of Aluminium. No wood for this build.

And I’m trying it at home.

durangopipe

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'

Post by durangopipe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:15 am

“Thunktank” wrote: We shot a few rimfires mostly, but I also did some practical shooting with my pocket pistol and took a few shots with the Ruger 77 Hawkeye that I bought last year. I found the accuracy poor last year, I wasn’t happy at all. Did some research and discovered that Model 77s may work one screw loose sometimes that effects accuracy. So, I tightened that screw up which was indeed loose and tried it again. My handloads produced sub MOA with it yesterday. Now I’m happy with it. :dance:
Glad you’ve got your 77 Hawkeye shooting well. That angled action screw pulls the action both down and back into the bedding. Torque on that one is critical as you know.

I bought one the year they were introduced in .270 for elk and deer. I was very busy loading shotgun shells back then so I just tried various off-the-shelf ammo in it. Turned out it shot inexpensive CoreLokt in both 130 gr. and 150 gr. well and Hornady Custom SST in 140 gr. very well. Hornady isn’t making the Custom in 140 SST anymore, but as it turned out, I haven’t been hunting elk or deer the past few years so the stock of .270 ammo I have might just last me a long time.

The M77 Hawkeye may not be the tack driver some tuned custom rifles or some stock guns like Sakos and Tikkas are, but it’s a solid, reliable rifle that is easy to operate in fowl weather and just keeps chugging. I really like the CRF and the wide open loading port. I have a Tikka in .223 that has a better trigger and groups insanely well, but the port is so small I’d never try to load it from the top with gloves on.

My experience is that an elk or mule deer rifle that shoots reasonably accurately but is easy to handle in all conditions and built sturdily is of more use in elk country than a fussier tack driver. What shooting I’ve done with the Hawkeye has definitely made me a believer. It’s well suited to its purpose.

The Tikka .223 and a Model 70 I have in .243 are great varmint and predator rifles and both shoot well under MOA. The Hawkeye shoots a little over 1 MOA with the factory ammo I’ve tried, but if I ever get back out for elk again I’ll be darn glad I hung on to the Hawkeye. It shoots “minute of elk” as they say out here, and it inspires confidence.

I’d buy one again in a heartbeat,
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 am

I've been skimming around the net looking at .22lr target pistols. Of course, the Ruger Mark series has caught my attention. I really don't need one of these. They just look like they'd be lots of fun on weekend afternoons plinking around with my son. Anyone here own something along these lines?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 am

I had a Ruger MK III Heavy Barrel and it was a splendid .22 by all accounts. It was accurate and digested any ammunition I could feed it.
I moved on to a S&W M-41, which I like fits my hand better, only it is very picky about ammunition.

An accurate .22 pistol, a box of CCI and a roll of Necco Wafers (for targets) is a lot of fun!

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:45 am
I had a Ruger MK III Heavy Barrel and it was a splendid .22 by all accounts. It was accurate and digested any ammunition I could feed it.
I moved on to a S&W M-41, which I like fits my hand better, only it is very picky about ammunition.

An accurate .22 pistol, a box of CCI and a roll of Necco Wafers (for targets) is a lot of fun!
Yes, that does sound fun. "Digesting anything" in .22 is the kicker. That's a must.

My go-to fun .22 targets are eggs. Kind of a waste as targets, I know. Better off eating them. You should start hoarding Necco Wafers. I've heard that Necco is going out of business. :(
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:51 am
"Digesting anything" in .22 is the kicker. That's a must.
I bought Rita a Sig Mosquito few years back. It is the pickiest, most finicky firearm I have ever experienced. I've only found two loads that it will feed and those are still prone to jamming.

Making matters worse, it's pink. Not much demand for pink in the used handgun market.

Horrible, horrible purchase decision.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm

I took my boys to the desert yesterday where it’s legal to target shoot. We had a great time plinking. It was my ten year old’s first time shooting off the bench. He loved it and didn’t want to quit at the end of the day. We went through over a thousand rounds yesterday.
Sounds great! I'd still love to have a place that we can shoot informally (read: use targets other than paper), but for now this little range down the road is great. Just a rural place to shoot that hosts some events and gives the high school skeet team a place to practice and hold events.

Someone I work with just donated an old Winchester model 109 us to use with the kids for target shooting, so I'm excited to get out and try it. That old Winchester single shot in the pics is perfect for teaching a child, and is quite accurate, but a single shot rifle gets somewhat tiresome after a bit. Looking forward to having a repeating .22 rifle.
Sola Deo Gloria

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:28 am

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am
Thunktank wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm

Sounds great! I'd still love to have a place that we can shoot informally (read: use targets other than paper), but for now this little range down the road is great. Just a rural place to shoot that hosts some events and gives the high school skeet team a place to practice and hold events.

Someone I work with just donated an old Winchester model 109 us to use with the kids for target shooting, so I'm excited to get out and try it. That old Winchester single shot in the pics is perfect for teaching a child, and is quite accurate, but a single shot rifle gets somewhat tiresome after a bit. Looking forward to having a repeating .22 rifle.
A lot of concern over the loss of youth in shooting sports. Yet, there are so few places to plink at cans and old flower pots. Of all the ills California faces concerning shooting sports, we at least can go to the desert and shoot like that. Kids love plinking.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:46 am

An interesting story about the Ruger---from since forever I was instilled with the idea of cleaning my firearm after each trip to the range.
When I bought the Ruger I asked the clerk to show me how to field strip it for cleaning.
He looked at me in horror "You don't" he said." You only take it apart when it starts to misbehave, and it won't! "

He was right! For as long as I owned the Ruger there never was so much as a hiccough.

The Model 41 OTOH requires meticulous maintenance to function reliably.