GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:12 pm

A great resource for free PDFs of printable targets:

Beartooth Bullets Printable Targets

Some examples:

ImageImage
ImageImage

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:02 pm

It occurred to me that the older I get, the more .22lr and shotgun shells I go through instead of ammo in other calibers.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:07 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:02 pm
It occurred to me that the older I get, the more .22lr and shotgun shells I go through instead of ammo in other calibers.
Definitely true here as well.

On that note: I noticed that lots of the places I buy ammo from are going out of stock on my favorite .22 LR hunting round so I just ordered a couple of bricks from a place that had them.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:07 am
Hovannes wrote:

On that note: I noticed that lots of the places I buy ammo from are going out of stock on my favorite .22 LR hunting round so I just ordered a couple of bricks from a place that had them.
Hunting in CA with a .22 isn't much fun---lead free ammo seems to lose accuracy beyond 75' so humane kills aren't as predictable, and lead free is what the State mandates for all hunting ammo now.
I'm even going to sell my rifle as I no longer enjoy it. Pistols and Necco wafers are another thing entirely. I just have to find a substitute for Necco wafers now :facepalm:
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Hunting in CA with a .22 isn't much fun---lead free ammo seems to lose accuracy beyond 75' so humane kills aren't as predictable, and lead free is what the State mandates for all hunting ammo now.
I'm even going to sell my rifle as I no longer enjoy it. Pistols and Necco wafers are another thing entirely. I just have to find a substitute for Necco wafers now :facepalm:

Oh Hov, don’t do anything rash.
Life without rifles is no kind of life at all.

Some of those lead-free rounds aren’t half bad. Well, maybe they are half bad, but we gotta be glass half full guys.
Can’t let the illegitimi carborundum us down.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:40 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:27 pm
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

Oh Hov, don’t do anything rash.
Life without rifles is no kind of life at all.

Some of those lead-free rounds aren’t half bad. Well, maybe they are half bad, but we gotta be glass half full guys.
Can’t let the illegitimi carborundum us down.
Hov, when was the last time you shot a critter with a 22 beyond 75 yards? Within 50 yards the 22 lead free does about as well as the standard ammo. No, it isn't match ammunition. Not intended to be.

All you're doing by selling your rifle is making "them" happy. I switched over to lead free before required. It made no difference to my enjoyment or even the effectiveness of my hunting. There are lots of work arounds and options these days.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Monday morning I'm going to jail.
For my CCW interview.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:44 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 pm
Monday morning I'm going to jail.

For my CCW interview.
FIFY :pipe:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Got the YoDave CZ trigger parts kit in the mail yesterday, swapped out the trigger spring and shimmed the sear and went to the range today.

Groups are marginally smaller but very consistently 0.65” - 0.75” @ 50 yds. with Hornady 30 gr. V-Max, and the trigger now breaks like a glass rod with no perceptible creep, and is adjustable from 1.5-2.5 pounds.

I shot at small pieces of broken clays on the berm at 106-110 yds off a front rest in a variable cross wind and consistently got hits. “Head shots.” WooHoo! No more tinkering. I’ve got my 75-125 yd. small game rifle.

I think I’m in love.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:00 pm
Got the YoDave CZ trigger parts kit in the mail yesterday, swapped out the trigger spring and shimmed the sear and went to the range today.

Groups are marginally smaller but very consistently 0.65” - 0.75” @ 50 yds. with Hornady 30 gr. V-Max, and the trigger now breaks like a glass rod with no perceptible creep, and is adjustable from 1.5-2.5 pounds.

I shot at small pieces of broken clays on the berm at 106-110 yds off a front rest in a variable cross wind and consistently got hits. “Head shots.” WooHoo! No more tinkering. I’ve got my 75-125 yd. small game rifle.

I think I’m in love.
Just sitting here repeating to my self over and over "thou shall not covet thy neighbors rifle, thou shall not covet thy neighbors rifle, thou shall not covet . . . "
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:05 am

My CCW interview went well. Now it's up to the DOJ. I was told to expect a five week long wait for the permit.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:25 am

rgcurrey wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:31 am
Just sitting here repeating to my self over and over "thou shall not covet thy neighbors rifle, thou shall not covet thy neighbors rifle, thou shall not covet . . . "
If you’re looking for a Rimfire, rg, I highly recommend the CZ.

Now having closely examined, owned and shot both, I can voice a better informed opinion on what is sometimes a hot debate among Rimfire shooters . . .

The CZ Rimfire is a very nicely made rifle. Its price is about 1/3 that of a comparable Anschutz. The Anschutz is worth every penny, but if you can’t justify spending the money or don’t have the means to afford one, the CZ (after a little very simple trigger work) is very close. For hunting, the difference is of absolutely no consequence. If the intention is to shoot benchrest, by the time you’ve made a CZ competitive you’ve likely spent enough to have gotten the Anschutz which would be the better choice.

If I were to get another Rimfire down the road, it would be another CZ. My benchrest days are over.

The fullstock (Mannlicher style) 455 with iron sights is very tempting, but I will likely wait ten years and hope to still feel the need of one at 80 - but probably won’t have the eyes for iron sites by then.

As for centerfires, I have far more than I now need for what hunting I will likely do and will soon begin passing some of them down to my son and grandkids.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:35 am

I'm off to shoot pistols this morning with by friend Jim.
His range is a couple of steel gongs in front of a berm in the middle of a vineyard.
He just picked up a Bond Derringer for CCW.
GK Chesterton packed a Derringer around London, so I'm anxious to see one up close'
Chesterton also tended to forgetfully leave it behind in various places!
I'm taking my trusty Centennial, 150 rounds of .38 Specials, and my hearing protectors.

rgcurrey
Pastor
Pastor

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:35 am
I'm off to shoot pistols this morning with by friend Jim.
His range is a couple of steel gongs in front of a berm in the middle of a vineyard.
He just picked up a Bond Derringer for CCW.
GK Chesterton packed a Derringer around London, so I'm anxious to see one up close'
Chesterton also tended to forgetfully leave it behind in various places!
I'm taking my trusty Centennial, 150 rounds of .38 Specials, and my hearing protectors.
The Bond is probably three times as heavy as what ever derringer GK packed. Those things are built like a beast.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

For the time is coming when people will not endure sound[a] teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. - 2 Tim 4:3-4

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Well, I learned that I'm not a fan of Derringers.
I guess I'll never make it as a river boat gambler :oops:

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:36 pm
This is not necessarily a bad thing ...

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:17 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:14 pm
Hovannes wrote:
A knife is better than a Derringer. :mrgreen:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:17 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:14 pm
Hovannes wrote:
A knife is better than a Derringer. :mrgreen:
AFAIK, My bride's gramps was never a riverboat gambler

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:17 am

I was issued a new CCW :thumbsup: .
I haven't had one of these for twenty years, when I let my old one expire.
A lot has changed since then---the violent crime rate here has gotten a lot worse because of new State laws.
Now I need to buy new holsters. I'm looking for a concealable holster as my old holster doesn't fit my "new" pistol.
I've noticed there are combination IWB/OWB holsters. Has anyone here used one of these? Good? Bad?
I'd also like to get a pocket holster. Any suggestions? It's for a snub nose .38.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:09 am

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain