GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:02 pm

I play with my kids and carry concealed at the same time. If there is a mass shooting, I'm planning on shooting back. :chili:

What's your opinion on homeschooling and universal healthcare? :lol:
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

jasonsilver
Congregation
Congregation

Post by jasonsilver » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:03 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 pm

There are a few differences, sure enough. We have slightly different cultures with slightly different histories. Our current culture has some darkness too. We didn’t use to have nearly as many mass shootings even when our per capita household gun ownership rates were higher. Guns became less about farming, hunting and hunting related sport shooting and became more about concealed carry and assault weapons and tactical sport shooting among a small vocal minority as our population became more urbanized. The politics of guns in America are disturbing to me too! The mass shootings are a symptom of a deep underlying set of problems we have.

I don’t carry concealed, I don’t own an assault weapon and very few people I know do. Sorry, but Canadians are people like Americans are, we ain’t as different as many Canadians and concealed gun toting Americans would like us to think. The practical application of the armed militia is defunct in both countries!

And please remember, I’m being friendly here. Nice liberal banter is healthy. :D
Thanks, yes, I agree - I lived in New Jersey for 5 years, and really loved the Americans I worked with - and my son was born there, so technically an American, I guess! :) Though apparently he needs to renounce his citizenship soon or he'll be on the hook for taxes. We left the US when he was 3, so I can't believe they're going after him, and others like him for taxes!
Husband, Father of Four, Programmer, Musician, Pipe Maker and Armchair Philosopher

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:02 pm
I play with my kids and carry concealed at the same time. If there is a mass shooting, I'm planning on shooting back. :chili:

You asking me or the Canadian? Not that it matters really. You’re a nut. :P :chili:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:17 pm

I found a new place for pheasant hunting---in Hilmar, CA---a fine cheese making town :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:
https://www.hilmarcheese.com/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:11 pm
Cleon wrote:

You asking me or the Canadian? Not that it matters really. You’re a nut. :P :chili:
Ha.

Feel the love. :grouphug:

You got that new hat yet, Tex?
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm

Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Ha.

No, but I got a western belt. :lol:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:58 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:41 pm
Cleon wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:24 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:

Ha.

No, but I got a western belt. :lol:
Sorta easin’ into it...
Next, the pointy-toed boots.

Then, the hat.

Finally, your speech will begin to change and you’ll pepper your conversations with things like, “That man was so dang dumb he couldn’t pour water outta a boot if’n the instructions was printed on the sole.”
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:45 pm

https://www.military.com/kitup/2018/09/ ... _180921.nl
9% and 6% failure rates are unconscionable.
Imagine troops exiting a helicopter at night and switching the selector on an M4 and shooting another soldier, 8O
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:04 pm

jasonsilver wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:03 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:00 pm

There are a few differences, sure enough. We have slightly different cultures with slightly different histories. Our current culture has some darkness too. We didn’t use to have nearly as many mass shootings even when our per capita household gun ownership rates were higher. Guns became less about farming, hunting and hunting related sport shooting and became more about concealed carry and assault weapons and tactical sport shooting among a small vocal minority as our population became more urbanized. The politics of guns in America are disturbing to me too! The mass shootings are a symptom of a deep underlying set of problems we have.

I don’t carry concealed, I don’t own an assault weapon and very few people I know do. Sorry, but Canadians are people like Americans are, we ain’t as different as many Canadians and concealed gun toting Americans would like us to think. The practical application of the armed militia is defunct in both countries!

And please remember, I’m being friendly here. Nice liberal banter is healthy. :D
Thanks, yes, I agree - I lived in New Jersey for 5 years, and really loved the Americans I worked with - and my son was born there, so technically an American, I guess! :) Though apparently he needs to renounce his citizenship soon or he'll be on the hook for taxes. We left the US when he was 3, so I can't believe they're going after him, and others like him for taxes!
Thunk spoke my mind better than I might have.

This just appeared on another forum I participate in.
It speaks of another reason for good guns, and gun dogs, in our home ...

I cannot pick up a shotgun or rifle from my safe without a hundred warm memories of dear friends, beloved dogs and days afield flooding my mind.

My belief is that a man’s relationship with and appreciation for all that is good in creation benefits from hunting and fishing, and the knowledge and relationships that blossom in those activities.

Now, looking back, I can hardly imagine a life without them, and good guns properly cared for, appropriately used - after diligent practice - are no small part of my most pleasant memories.

Like Thunk, I feel no need for concealed carry. I own nothing resembling a modern assault rifle, although I do own and occasionally shoot a Garand, mostly in memory of my father who carried one in WWII.

Again, agreeing with Thunk, the urban environment is a very different place. A place where situations involving guns often generate sinister rather than heartwarming images.

I’m grateful that my experience of guns is the latter and not the former.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm

Omly the police and military should have guns.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:13 pm

Jocose wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:05 pm
IKR?

Guns kill people.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:08 pm

I'm a shotgun instructor (NRA and BSA) and read a lot of firearm forums specifically for learning new training ideas.
I also just resumed my CCW ,which I let lapse 20 years ago, as a means to protect my family outside our home.
I went through the police academy and worked with the DA and SO in the 80's and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. But my beginnings were with shooting with my dad, hunting in the vineyards for pheasant.
Priceless memories.
It saddens me that virtually no young people I've met had the experience of learning to hunt & shoot from their dads.
What saddens me more is that many people I've met at the range or in the field don't even have any children to teach.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:12 pm

Jocose wrote:

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:27 pm

Signed with USCCA instead of NRA CarryGuard. It looked to be the better policy for my needs.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:54 pm

I swiped the scope from my Sheridan to put on this for now. It's spring gun rated, installed a droop compensated mount, I put loc tite on every screw so hopefully it stays put. Depending upon how it does in the next few months, will determine what optic I will get for it later.

I plan to head to the desert tomorrow to begin testing this thing for accuracy. Reports suggest that it's accurate but fussy. I can believe it. Snappy but no vibration as expected from a gas ram. I've been shooting at 7.5 yards at home to help break it in and work on my artillary hold. I can get one hole groups at that range, but let's see what happens when I stretch it out.

I didn't intend to get this model when I went to Airguns of Arizona, however, they gave me a good discount because they didn't have the gun I was after in stock. This one is bigger and more powerful than I wanted, but if I can hit with it, it will make a great small game gun. It's not a gun for the weak!

I used to shoot "Springer" airguns a lot. RWS 27 and 36. We tuned them and they were very accurate and fun to shoot. This is my first gas ram, again, not what I was originally after, but I'll get that one later. After that, PCPs. . .

Yes, I love air rifles for reasons that probably make little sense to most. :lol:

Unkinjoe
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Unkinjoe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 am

Jocose wrote:
to each his own I guess, but think about this. If only the police should have guns then we would all be speaking German now and you would likely be working for a government that owned all the guns.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am

Time for autumn gun maintenance!
The smell of Nitro-solvent does amazing things for bringing back comforting memories of long passed shooting buddies and good gun dogs.
I think I'll bring out Jake's old collar and hang it on the wall as a memorial.
Autumn was our favorite time of year.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:51 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am
The smell of Nitro-solvent does amazing things for bringing back comforting memories...
You are so right, Hov. It's remarkable.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:24 am

JimVH wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:51 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am
The smell of Nitro-solvent does amazing things for bringing back comforting memories...
You are so right, Hov. It's remarkable.
Hoppe’s #9 and wet gun dog smells trigger more wonderful memories than anything else I can imagine.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:44 am

You know what would be cool? If police didn't need to carry guns much either, that's what.

Way back in the day, even in this country, sheriffs didn't carry guns very often.

Imagine that.