GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm

I found a used Ruger No 1 in 300 Winchester Magnum. $500 in very good condition. I want it so bad.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 am

Thunktank wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm
I found a used Ruger No 1 in 300 Winchester Magnum. $500 in very good condition. I want it so bad.
That’s a fine rifle at a very good price.
If you need a little push - I’m pushing.

I’ve always wanted one.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 am

durangopipe wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 am
Thunktank wrote:

I’ve always wanted one.
+ pushing

I had a No. 1 once upon a time. I sold it and have wanted another ever since. One of my worst gun decisions.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 am

durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I’ve always wanted one.
Bad timing. It would normally be a no brainer, but times have changed. Besides, maybe I need to actually get out to hunt more before I get another gun I don’t need.

Also, it has a muzzle brake, I’m not a fan of those. The fact that it’s a 300 Win mag means to me elk, and elk means time I don’t have yet, and elk, along with brown bear, are two critters I want a repeater to hunt with.

It’s a good thing it isn’t some sort of 6.5, 270 or 7mm or else I would get myself into trouble with the misses. :twisted:
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

“I grew up in a church with Ned Flanders. Down to the mustache. But so did a bunch of people I assume, which makes it so fun-diddly-unny.” -tuttle

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 am

I spent about 500 bucks to get a gas ram air rifle outfit not too long ago. :lol:

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 am

JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I’ve always wanted one.
+ pushing

I had a No. 1 once upon a time. I sold it and have wanted another ever since. One of my worst gun decisions.
Which rendition was it? How did it shoot for you?

All I know is that this 300 balanced perfectly for me off hand. Not too front heavy or front light. Had a nice old Redfield wide angle 3-9x40 scope.

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:29 am

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 am
JimVH wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:50 am
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

I’ve always wanted one.
+ pushing

Which rendition was it? How did it shoot for you?

All I know is that this 300 balanced perfectly for me off hand. Not too front heavy or front light. Had a nice old Redfield wide angle 3-9x40 scope.
I don't remember all the details. It was an early 80s production in a 30-06. It was very comfortable to hold and shoot and felt solid and sturdy. I don't recall any negative impressions.

I've read criticism of the No 1's accuracy over the years, but I had good results with mine.