GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 16597
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by gaining_age » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm

I picked up a Liberty safe..... well, I didn't lift it alone.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22508
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I picked up a Liberty safe..... well, I didn't lift it alone.
:thumbsup:

Those are nice safes!
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19275
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:46 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I picked up a Liberty safe..... well, I didn't lift it alone.
:thumbsup:

Those are nice safes!
Awesome. Great choice.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25623
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:33 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:46 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:53 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm
I picked up a Liberty safe..... well, I didn't lift it alone.
:thumbsup:

Those are nice safes!
Awesome. Great choice.
Excellent!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25623
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:14 am

My friend was shooting his own reloads yesterday morning. After two shots his revolver seized up solid. A dud bullet worked it's way into the barrel's forcing cone. A couple of taps with a hammer on a rod and the bullet was driven back enough to open the cylinder to reveal a very light impression on the primer.
Factory ammo launched as expected.
Very curious!
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Posts: 23688
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JimVH » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am

In 2013 I started collecting parts for an AR-15 build. True to my core nature, my parts collecting scattered into other projects. Now I am one part away from three different build and upgrade projects.

Rita leaves on a girlfriend cruise next week and I'm going into gunsmith mode. The air will be filled with gun oil and man grunts.

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9131
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:51 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am
In 2013 I started collecting parts for an AR-15 build. True to my core nature, my parts collecting scattered into other projects. Now I am one part away from three different build and upgrade projects.

Rita leaves on a girlfriend cruise next week and I'm going into gunsmith mode. The air will be filled with gun oil and man grunts.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7052
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 am

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am
In 2013 I started collecting parts for an AR-15 build. True to my core nature, my parts collecting scattered into other projects. Now I am one part away from three different build and upgrade projects.

Rita leaves on a girlfriend cruise next week and I'm going into gunsmith mode. The air will be filled with gun oil and man grunts.
Sounds like fun. :thumbsup:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9131
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:19 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:39 am
The air will be filled with gun oil and man grunts.
...and the smell of this
Image
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9131
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:24 pm

3rd times a charm.

I have a friend that has a nice Goose decoy spread and he invites me to hunt with him a couple times a season. My shotguns were all 2 3/4 and "Vintage" I didn't own a magnum and he was adamant that if I wanted to go I needed to be serious about it and have a magnum shotgun and cold weather camo gear. Well its his party, so the first year, 3 years ago, I traded a .22 magnum rifle for a Benelli Nova at a gunshow. It was sturdy and reliable, but awkward and kind of clunky but it killed geese so... During the Summer I decided I would have a nicer "Waterfowl gun" for the next season and sold Nova #1.

Next season I still hadn't found what I wanted in a "Waterfowl gun" so I tracked down another Nova, they are not expensive and hey they are a Benelli, so akward and clunky will do...till I find a nicer "Waterfowl gun" and it killed geese. That lasted 2 seasons.

This Spring I sold Nova #2. I wanted a Winchester Heavy Duck or a Browning A5 Mag or...

I have a small 12 foot aluminum boat and found a place to take it, to shoot ducks and geese and I got to thinking I need some decoys and oh yea I still need a "Waterfowl gun".

So I made a low ball bid on a new old stock Benelli Nova and I won. So Nova #3 is on its way to an FFL dealer near me. With the cost of decoys and the cost of "nicer" "Waterfowl guns" I have decided Nova #3 will be nice enough for me...besides "Waterfowl guns" take a beating...the Nova is perfect, tuff and durable...just took me 3 Novas to figure that out.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 16597
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by gaining_age » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am

So, this morning I heard beeping from the other room... I called to my wife-- "Everything ok? Is that the gun safe you're getting into?"

She says "yes... I was looking for a paper". I said "whew--- glad you weren't going for something else."


She laughed-- said I had a funny sense of humor. :)
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
rgcurrey
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
National Radical Meadow Party Candidate
Posts: 2140
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:49 pm
Location: NW Fla., dreaming about Montana to the Yukon

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:49 am

gaining_age wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am
So, this morning I heard beeping from the other room... I called to my wife-- "Everything ok? Is that the gun safe you're getting into?"

She says "yes... I was looking for a paper". I said "whew--- glad you weren't going for something else."


She laughed-- said I had a funny sense of humor. :)
Unless the paper was the life insurance policy she has on you . . . .
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

User avatar
gaining_age
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Minister of Boogie Dancing
Posts: 16597
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: sun soaked Arizona

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by gaining_age » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Anyone familiar with the pump action 22 Winchester 62(A)? I hadn't seen a 22 pump action previously.
Out of control odd rare old man (or possibly an hobbyist). -- Label by The Big R.
The 6s of 1st John:
2:6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus walked
3:6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25623
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:12 pm

gaining_age wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 pm
Anyone familiar with the pump action 22 Winchester 62(A)? I hadn't seen a 22 pump action previously.
The one with the hammer?
I knew a cowboy who kept one in his truck to discourage malevolent critters on the ranch.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22508
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:22 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:12 pm
gaining_age wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:54 pm
Anyone familiar with the pump action 22 Winchester 62(A)? I hadn't seen a 22 pump action previously.
The one with the hammer?
I knew a cowboy who kept one in his truck to discourage malevolent critters on the ranch.
That’s my Dad’s favorite 22. He keeps it handy on the farm for whatever needs dispatching. He had Browning BLR 22. He gave that one to my boys because he prefers the old pump action Winchester. I killed a few groundhogs and tin cans with it myself over the years. A real gem of a rifle. Most of them I see now are all wore out though.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 25623
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:25 pm

FWIW SxS=double barrel as opposed to O/U which is also double barreled, but one barrel is on top of the other

I don't keep a shotgun for home defense, but the new non-toxic shot laws here in CA have made my old SxS irrelevant unless I want to spend $40 a box for non steel non-toxic shells for hunting season---and that isn't going to happen as I now have a different, steel shot compatible shotgun for hunting.

I still don't consider my SxS changing roles (whatever role an obsolete shotgun possesses,) but I thought it was interesting to see what Paul Harrell has to say about SxS shotguns for protection.

A SxS was the only firearm my dad owned as an adult until he married my mom during the Great Depression---a farm girl, she came equipped with parabellum pistol! 8O
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:25 pm
FWIW SxS=double barrel as opposed to O/U which is also double barreled, but one barrel is on top of the other

I don't keep a shotgun for home defense, but the new non-toxic shot laws here in CA have made my old SxS irrelevant unless I want to spend $40 a box for non steel non-toxic shells for hunting season---and that isn't going to happen as I now have a different, steel shot compatible shotgun for hunting.

I still don't consider my SxS changing roles (whatever role an obsolete shotgun possesses,) but I thought it was interesting to see what Paul Harrell has to say about SxS shotguns for protection.

A SxS was the only firearm my dad owned as an adult until he married my mom during the Great Depression---a farm girl, she came equipped with parabellum pistol! 8O
I've got two doubles. One is a Fausti USA O/U (NOT Traditions) 12 ga. which is the only gun I own that I have never fired. Not only is it beautiful but the Fausti sisters that own the company are muy caliente smoking hot.

The other is an old Ithaca Flues 16 ga. SXS that was manufactured in the 1920's. Since it is chambered for 2 9/16" shells, I bought a couple of cases of RST Lite 2 1/2" shells for it. It does fine except the shell sticks in the right barrel sometimes but other than that it's an old school beauty.

Not a SXS but I also have a Winchester 1897 pump that is so old there's no blueing left at all. It's also a 16 ga. chambered for 2 9/16" shells. It is totally gray but no rust or pitting, the bore is frosted but it shoots fine. The stock is bare wood, all the finish is long gone. I like old guns like that.

But for home defense I use a G17 with a Streamlight attached.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

“Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 22508
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Home Sweet California at the Beach!

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:05 pm

Not a SXS but I also have a Winchester 1897 pump that is so old there's no blueing left at all. It's also a 16 ga. chambered for 2 9/16" shells. It is totally gray but no rust or pitting, the bore is frosted but it shoots fine. The stock is bare wood, all the finish is long gone. I like old guns like that.
I have a Remington 31 in 16 gauge like that. Well, maybe not quite that worn, but still pretty far gone.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Post Reply