GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am

JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 am
JimVH wrote:My Glock 17 build project is on hold. I may have to go back to exotic dancing to afford my hobbies.
Doing one of those polymer 80 frames? I put a 19 together last year when they had a stupid good price on the frames. Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
Nice.

Mine's a P80, but the complete serialized version. I was going to do the 80%, but they had the complete frames for 89 bucks (v. 140-ish for the 80%). Couldn't pass it.

I built a 19 the same way a while back. If you take your time and shop for deals you can build a really nice outfit and save a bunch of cash. I'll take a pic later and post it.
I want to say I got my 80% one for $50. The amount of work to finish it was minimal and could be done very well with simple tools that almost everyone already owns.
The amount of options for parts has skyrocketed since then though. I might have to change some things out eventually. My wife and I are on "rice and beans," as Dave Ramsey would say, socking away piles of cash for a healthy down payment on our next house. Needless to say, I've cut back my hobby funds significantly.

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:15 am
JimVH wrote:My Glock 17 build project is on hold. I may have to go back to exotic dancing to afford my hobbies.
Doing one of those polymer 80 frames? I put a 19 together last year when they had a stupid good price on the frames. Image

Nice.

Mine's a P80, but the complete serialized version. I was going to do the 80%, but they had the complete frames for 89 bucks (v. 140-ish for the 80%). Couldn't pass it.

I built a 19 the same way a while back. If you take your time and shop for deals you can build a really nice outfit and save a bunch of cash. I'll take a pic later and post it.
I want to say I got my 80% one for $50. The amount of work to finish it was minimal and could be done very well with simple tools that almost everyone already owns.
The amount of options for parts has skyrocketed since then though. I might have to change some things out eventually. My wife and I are on "rice and beans," as Dave Ramsey would say, socking away piles of cash for a healthy down payment on our next house. Needless to say, I've cut back my hobby funds significantly.

Dang. I haven't crossed any deals that good. Well done.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 am

My next gun. Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:00 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:50 am
My next gun. Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
That's a great choice. Huge fun, cheap to shoot, and there are a ton of fun accessories available for it.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:10 am

That's cool. I want one of these. Palmetto State AKV in 9mm. Image

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Last summer my cousin died. He was more like a brother than a cousin but he had fallen onto hard times and lived in a pretty rough area. His father, my uncle, had left him a gun. My cousin was afraid it would be stolen if someone broke into his house and asked a friend to keep it in his gun safe. After he died, we contacted his nephew who is 23 and told him how to go about getting a gun permit or a ccw permit so we could give it him. Apparently the boy is not the least bit interested in the gun, so I picked it up last week. I'll give it to him if he ever asks but if not I'll just keep it. It's a Remington Rand 1911A1. It was manufactured between 1943 and 1945 and it's one of those wartime 1911's that were refurbished by Springfield Armory in the fifties. You can tell that by the SA stamp.

So anyway, I've got it for now and I bought a used W.M. Davis Holster and magazine holder for it. I doubt I'll carry it very much since I'm used to handguns without safeties, (normally I carry a Glock 19 or Glock 43X) but I will carry it some. I think my cousin and my uncle would be happy for it to be used. Taking it to the gun range when it cools down some for some familiarization.

I thought you guys would like to see it.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:08 pm

The hunt for a patrol saint of pistoleros and why GK Chesterton should be considered
https://www.crisismagazine.com/2015/che ... andgunners
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

Roadmaster
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator
CPS's Affirmative Action Moderator

Post by Roadmaster » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:00 pm
Last summer my cousin died. He was more like a brother than a cousin but he had fallen onto hard times and lived in a pretty rough area. His father, my uncle, had left him a gun. My cousin was afraid it would be stolen if someone broke into his house and asked a friend to keep it in his gun safe. After he died, we contacted his nephew who is 23 and told him how to go about getting a gun permit or a ccw permit so we could give it him. Apparently the boy is not the least bit interested in the gun, so I picked it up last week. I'll give it to him if he ever asks but if not I'll just keep it. It's a Remington Rand 1911A1. It was manufactured between 1943 and 1945 and it's one of those wartime 1911's that were refurbished by Springfield Armory in the fifties. You can tell that by the SA stamp.

So anyway, I've got it for now and I bought a used W.M. Davis Holster and magazine holder for it. I doubt I'll carry it very much since I'm used to handguns without safeties, (normally I carry a Glock 19 or Glock 43X) but I will carry it some. I think my cousin and my uncle would be happy for it to be used. Taking it to the gun range when it cools down some for some familiarization.

Nice very nice I've always admired the WW2 45s
My work here is so secret even I don't know what I'm doing

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 am

Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

They have the character and stories that the modern CNC made iterations lack. You have a beautiful example!
A large quantity of them fell prey to the magazine ads that offered to plate your war trophy. I cringe when I see a WWII handgun without import markings, and covered in a dreadful chrome or nickel plating.
Even worse is when the seller is trying to pass a plated P08 Luger off as an SS officer's pistol because only the high ranking officers had plated guns.

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

They have the character and stories that the modern CNC made iterations lack. You have a beautiful example!
A large quantity of them fell prey to the magazine ads that offered to plate your war trophy. I cringe when I see a WWII handgun without import markings, and covered in a dreadful chrome or nickel plating.
Even worse is when the seller is trying to pass a plated P08 Luger off as an SS officer's pistol because only the high ranking officers had plated guns.

Thanks. It does have a few scratches on it. I know next to nothing about 1911's but I have a friend who is a 1911 collector and a gunsmith. He checked it out or me and back before my cousin died he replaced the grips, one of which was cracked and the magazine spring. He said that the gun does not have all the original parts but that it is a Remington Rand which was only manufactured during WWII, probably between 1943 and 1945. He also told me that the SA stamp indicated it was refurbished by Springfield Armory in the 1950's. I got him to check it out after I picked it up and he said that it is a good example but that the throat of the barrel could cause problems feeding modern hollow point ammunition. He offered to re-throat it for me. He also said I could buy a barrel throated for HP ammo. I am just going to leave it exactly as it is though and shoot ball ammunition through it because it's a family heirloom and I want to keep it original.

My uncle was a career Marine, three war veteran serving in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I doubt this gun was ever carried by him in combat though considering it's condition. I imagine he bought it surplus back when you could get them cheap. I really don't understand my cousin's nephew not being interested in it and I hope that someday he realizes the family value this gun has and get's a permit. If I had a chance to get a gun that my grandfather owned, i would be all over it. I could just give it to him but I want to make sure he gets it legally.

In the meantime, I'll care for it and carry it every once in a while and shoot it at the gun club. It's one of those things that you can feel the workmanship in when you pick it up. I have a Colt Python that is the same way. Shooting that Python and shooting my S&W M28 is like the difference between driving a pickup truck and a Mercedes. A totally different feel.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:47 am
joegoat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 am
Roadmaster wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:

Thanks. It does have a few scratches on it. I know next to nothing about 1911's but I have a friend who is a 1911 collector and a gunsmith. He checked it out or me and back before my cousin died he replaced the grips, one of which was cracked and the magazine spring. He said that the gun does not have all the original parts but that it is a Remington Rand which was only manufactured during WWII, probably between 1943 and 1945. He also told me that the SA stamp indicated it was refurbished by Springfield Armory in the 1950's. I got him to check it out after I picked it up and he said that it is a good example but that the throat of the barrel could cause problems feeding modern hollow point ammunition. He offered to re-throat it for me. He also said I could buy a barrel throated for HP ammo. I am just going to leave it exactly as it is though and shoot ball ammunition through it because it's a family heirloom and I want to keep it original.

My uncle was a career Marine, three war veteran serving in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I doubt this gun was ever carried by him in combat though considering it's condition. I imagine he bought it surplus back when you could get them cheap. I really don't understand my cousin's nephew not being interested in it and I hope that someday he realizes the family value this gun has and get's a permit. If I had a chance to get a gun that my grandfather owned, i would be all over it. I could just give it to him but I want to make sure he gets it legally.

In the meantime, I'll care for it and carry it every once in a while and shoot it at the gun club. It's one of those things that you can feel the workmanship in when you pick it up. I have a Colt Python that is the same way. Shooting that Python and shooting my S&W M28 is like the difference between driving a pickup truck and a Mercedes. A totally different feel.
Good to know that it has stayed in the family with someone who appreciates it.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 am

Limited edition offering from Altamont:

I already have the pen, may as well get the revolver, right!
Well, no, but a man can look.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Eddie and Alex's brother
Eddie and Alex's brother

Post by JimVH » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 am

If you owned it, would your shoot it?

I think I would.

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:01 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:51 am
durangopipe wrote:

If you owned it, would your shoot it?

I think I would.
I would shoot it and open carry.
Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

"O Christmas Tree is going to be a dirge in his home this year I fear."

"We are in a battle, therefore, between a world made out of social constructs and the world made out of created essences." -Doug Wilson

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:24 am

durangopipe wrote:

Nah, it looks too busy. Just my .02.

It’s all in the bluing I think.

Edit: They dropped the ball when they added the floral carving on the grips too. Change the grips to something more classy and understated and it would be good. :D
Last edited by Thunktank on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am

Stanley76 wrote:

Great looking gun...good to keep it in the family
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 am

durangopipe wrote:

Dude...you have to have the "Set"...I say go for it :chili:
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Stanley76

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:03 pm

The Wilson Combat magazines I ordered for the 1911 were just delivered. Love the magazines, hate how they look in the gun, which is really neither here nor there. But my buddy who is a gunsmith is going to trade me a 1930's era magazine that he has refurbished with a new spring for one of the Wilsons. That's the one that I'll have in the gun when I carry it. But I'm good to go as far as carrying it now, once I get some range time in with it.

joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles

Post by joegoat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:Limited edition offering from Altamont:

That bloody thing has the Hillary hole in it!!!! They even engraved around it!!!!!

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:17 pm

joegoat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm
durangopipe wrote:Limited edition offering from Altamont:

That bloody thing has the Hillary hole in it!!!! They even engraved around it!!!!!

Nothing wrong with extra safety devices. I have one on mine. I don’t let it bother me. Kind of unnecessary though considering I have a safe to store it in.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda