GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:48 am

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 pm
My Model 29 Story

I had two Pythons when I was a special constable and they were beautiful pieces of the gunsmith's art. They wore a pair of Herret's custom carved for my hand and were accurate with both my carry load, the then much respected 125 gr SJHP .357 as well as the .38s we trained with.

Then one day at the range, the Armorer let me try out a battered 6" K-38 from the evidence locker. It out shot my Pythons accuracy wise---I hadn't even sighted the K-38 in---clover leafs at 50 feet all in the x-ring.

Now I've never had trouble qualifying, but I'm definitely not that good! I reluctantly returned the K-38, it was department property and there was no way I could obtain it---I figured the dept. armorer must have"massaged" the action somehow.
He got to play with all the toys. I went back to my Pythons.
Not long after I got to shoot a Model 29.
With .44 magnums, other than UMCs now long gone mid-range LSWC load, it was a beast, but with 245 grain .44 Specials it was a near duplicate of the the 'ex-con" K-38 I yearned for.
Now an N frame is slightly larger and heavier than a Python for a holster arm, but the cruiser bound Highway Patrolmen I knew back then when revolvers were the standard for LEOs seemed to get along just fine with M-27 and M-28s, and as I worked in a mounted SAR unit I was able to do OK with the M-29, Bianchi holster and Sam Browne belt. I carried .44 Specials in it because Magnums were painful overkill on my end, make quick follow ups impossible, and would easily over penetrate any perp should I have to fire it in earnest (plus the Dept's lawyers weren't amused by the Dirty Harry stigma it conjured up)
So the Pythons got sold and I became a .44 aficionado.

I sort of miss my beautiful Pythons---sort of---but I wouldn't trade the M-29 for one. I have to hand load to afford to shoot her, but that's OK with me.
I still think the S&W N frame is perhaps one of the finest DA revolvers ever manufactured.

Now she's more of a safe queen, being way too large for CCW and cast bullets now being illegal in CA for hunting.
At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it
Cool story! You should have kept those Pythons though. You could sell them and live comfortably the rest of your life if you sold them now. I've got a Python that was bequeathed to me by my brother-in-law in 1989 and I carried it until my department switched to Glocks. It's nickel plated, the grips are dinged up and the checkering on the right grip is almost worn smooth from seatbelt wear. This makes me like it even more than if it was in pristine condition.

I have never owned a Model 29 but I do own a factory nickeled Model 28 (the poor man's Model 27). I took the puny wood grips off and put Pachmeyers on it and I do carry it concealed every once in a while in a Milt Sparks holster. It is heavy but I can pull it off due to my size. It's not much heavier than a 1911 to carry. The action on it is heavy, VERY heavy though and the difference between the trigger on it and the Python is like the difference between driving a Ford F150 and Maserati.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Del
Mr. Hot Legs
Mr. Hot Legs
Posts: 39850
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Del » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
REMEMBER THE KAVANAUGH!

"I shall not wear a crown of gold where my Master wore a crown of thorns." - Godfrey de Bouillon

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
Lol. Wish he'd tell people how much fun it is. The sport could use some new folks.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter
Posts: 15267
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Cleon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
Lol. Wish he'd tell people how much fun it is. The sport could use some new folks.
I never knew...he was left handed.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles
Posts: 2500
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 am

hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
Lol. Wish he'd tell people how much fun it is. The sport could use some new folks.
The trouble is most folks think you need some $3500 Italian masterpiece with another $500 of custom work done to it to break a clay. My $200 Remington 11-87 breaks them just the same.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:32 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 am
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
Lol. Wish he'd tell people how much fun it is. The sport could use some new folks.
You'll probably never speak to me after reading this but I have never shot skeet in my life. What makes it worse is that I have a nice O/U 12 gauge and a cool Ithaca Flues SXS 16 gauge plus I'm a member of a gun club (that is almost totally empty during the week) with a skeet range and a group of guys that almost begs for people like me to show up and learn.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26314
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:58 pm

I just learned that someone bought Bishop and Fajen's patterns and that you can order replacement gun stocks again!
https://manitoucustomguns.com/
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26314
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am

I was going to sell my .22 rifle---a Romanian model 69---but never got around to it, so I classed in the a fixin' to goin' to status.
Then I just came across this article
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... t-contest/
Now maybe I'll keep it, although I still don't know what I'll use it for.
Incidentally, my Model 69 cost $69 at Big Five when I purchased it years ago.Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:24 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am
I was going to sell my .22 rifle---a Romanian model 69---but never got around to it, so I classed in the a fixin' to goin' to status.
Then I just came across this article
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... t-contest/
Now maybe I'll keep it, although I still don't know what I'll use it for.
Incidentally, my Model 69 cost $69 at Big Five when I purchased it years ago.Image
All I'll say is that I have never sold a gun that I didn't regret selling at a later time.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7510
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 am

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am
I was going to sell my .22 rifle---a Romanian model 69---but never got around to it, so I classed in the a fixin' to goin' to status.
Then I just came across this article
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... t-contest/
Now maybe I'll keep it, although I still don't know what I'll use it for.
Incidentally, my Model 69 cost $69 at Big Five when I purchased it years ago.Image
Enjoyed the piece very much.
Thanks for posting it, Hov.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

User avatar
Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands
Posts: 9510
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:48 am

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 am
Hovannes wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:50 am
I was going to sell my .22 rifle---a Romanian model 69---but never got around to it, so I classed in the a fixin' to goin' to status.
Then I just came across this article
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... t-contest/
Now maybe I'll keep it, although I still don't know what I'll use it for.
Incidentally, my Model 69 cost $69 at Big Five when I purchased it years ago.Image
Enjoyed the piece very much.
Thanks for posting it, Hov.
Enjoyed here too. I am a fan of the art of the rifle and shotgun nothing catches my quite as fast as a beautiful SxS or a stunning Bolt action rifle...BUT I own and love my Savage 840 s in 30-30 and .222 and my Marlin 783 .22Mag and my Winchester model 50 shotguns. On another forum they were called "Bottom Shelf" guns. Function over Form or Beauty is as Beauty does. I have some nice looking guns, but I find that as often as not, I am carrying one of the Bottom Shelf performers.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26314
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:20 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 am
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
Lol. Wish he'd tell people how much fun it is. The sport could use some new folks.
The trouble is most folks think you need some $3500 Italian masterpiece with another $500 of custom work done to it to break a clay. My $200 Remington 11-87 breaks them just the same.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
"It's the Indian, not the arrow" I could be mistaken but I think that quotes attributed to Geronimo Image
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
hugodrax
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
UncleHugo the Tobbaconist
Posts: 19987
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:20 pm
joegoat wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:22 am
hugodrax wrote:
Stanley76 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:58 am
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:37 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:22 pm
Barak Obama enjoyed skeet shooting a lot.


Image
Yeah? He mounts like a teenager.
Who cares? He's wearing the proper attire for skeet shooting, the dad jeans, the Nike shirt and those glasses look like Oakleys. Plus the Magna-Porting makes the shotgun look cool as all get out. He looks almost like a rich Italian nobleman in that photo.
Lol. Wish he'd tell people how much fun it is. The sport could use some new folks.
The trouble is most folks think you need some $3500 Italian masterpiece with another $500 of custom work done to it to break a clay. My $200 Remington 11-87 breaks them just the same.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
"It's the Indian, not the arrow" I could be mistaken but I think that quotes attributed to Geronimo Image
Completely agree.
Notre Dame de Paris, priez pour nous y comprise les Jesuites.

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26314
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:45 pm

Vintage film for you 1100 fans
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Minister of Unanswered Threads
Posts: 26314
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:15 pm

I bought 4 boxes of .38 Specials at the ACE this afternoon, as much to see what sort of rigmarole the California DOJ requires as anything else.
Apparently I have the "correct" driver's license :chili:
Now I have enough ammo to renew my CCW when that comes up.
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

User avatar
joegoat
Minister of Beetles
Minister of Beetles
Posts: 2500
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Southwest Ohio

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by joegoat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Hovannes wrote:I bought 4 boxes of .38 Specials at the ACE this afternoon, as much to see what sort of rigmarole the California DOJ requires as anything else.
Apparently I have the "correct" driver's license :chili:
Now I have enough ammo to renew my CCW when that comes up.
Praying for you!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Stanley76
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Deputy Sheriff of Mayberry
Posts: 1853
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:50 pm
Location: Pungo River NC

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Stanley76 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 pm

I'm going to the gun club tomorrow and taking a friend so he can zero in his Ruger M77. I'm going to take my Ruger Mk 4. I bought it a month ago but haven't shot it yet. It's going to be a Ruger day. The club is very nice and only costs 300.00 a year, 200.00 if you help out on four work days. It's a nice set up with a 200 yard rifle range, 100 yard rifle and handgun range, 20 yard rimfire range, skeet range, handgun range, four open ranges where you can set up barricades for combat shooting and an archery range. There are very few people there on weekdays so you pretty much get the place to yourself. The only problem is that it's sixty miles from my house. Here's the link to it if anybody wants to check it out.

https://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

User avatar
durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7510
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:58 pm
Location: Southwest Colorado

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:40 pm
I'm going to the gun club tomorrow and taking a friend so he can zero in his Ruger M77. I'm going to take my Ruger Mk 4. I bought it a month ago but haven't shot it yet. It's going to be a Ruger day. The club is very nice and only costs 300.00 a year, 200.00 if you help out on four work days. It's a nice set up with a 200 yard rifle range, 100 yard rifle and handgun range, 20 yard rimfire range, skeet range, handgun range, four open ranges where you can set up barricades for combat shooting and an archery range. There are very few people there on weekdays so you pretty much get the place to yourself. The only problem is that it's sixty miles from my house. Here's the link to it if anybody wants to check it out.

https://www.pittcountywildlifeclub.org
Looks like a great facility and group of members.

We have a very nice range here, run by the Department of Parks and Wildlife - and free to the public.
But it closes for the winter. :(

There’s also a private club range, but I’m not crazy about the membership - seems to be dominated by cranky old men. I’m an old man, but I try not to be cranky.

My shooting is likely over until spring.

:pipe3:
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Post Reply