GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:39 pm

I spent all morning at the range. Traffic was light and, at one point, I had the entire handgun range to myself. Sweet. I took two unfired handguns with me. The .22 LR was flawless, but my fancy schmancy 9mm had some projectile dysfunction. I guess that’s just a good excuse to go back soon.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

GaryInVA
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:30 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:39 pm
I spent all morning at the range. Traffic was light and, at one point, I had the entire handgun range to myself. Sweet. I took two unfired handguns with me. The .22 LR was flawless, but my fancy schmancy 9mm had some projectile dysfunction. I guess that’s just a good excuse to go back soon.
Livin the life Jim. Need to get me a target pistol soon.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

But it is easier for a Lifted Ford to pass under the beam of a parking garage than it is for a Dodge Ram driver to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Y'all crazy

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:48 pm

JimVH wrote:
Happy you got to go and had the range to yourself, Jim.
Sounds like a fun day, even with the gun issue.

I’ve got a wild hair growing about maybe refinishing another shotgun stock over Christmas break. The wood on this gun is not nearly as nice as the stock I did last year so it may not be worth the effort.

We’ll see.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:30 pm
JimVH wrote:
Livin the life Jim. Need to get me a target pistol soon.
I just tossed a sale flyer from Cabela’s/Bass Pro Shops.

Seem to remember that they had the Browning Buckmark on sale.
Nice little all around .22!

You might have a look.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:26 pm

I went to Mackey's Guns in Jamesville today on a whim. It's a huge gun store in a tiny town. Actually not even in the town. Anyway, I went to "just look around". Walked out with a Remington 870 Super Mag, used. I couldn't pass it up because it was under 400.00....but that was money that I really didn't need to spend. I have got to start leaving my credit card at home when I go "window shopping".
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 pm

Stanley76 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:26 pm
I have got to start leaving my credit card at home when I go "window shopping".
Word. I can also give you .357 reasons not to internet shop after a couple of bourbons.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:01 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Word. I can also give you .357 reasons not to internet shop after a couple of bourbons.
Been there, done that and have the Browning High Wall to prove it.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

rgcurrey
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts

Post by rgcurrey » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:55 pm
Stanley76 wrote:
Nothing wrong ever with picking up another .357!
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected." William Makepeace Thackeray

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:35 pm

JimVH wrote:
... had some projectile dysfunction.
I hate it when that happens.
DEUS VULT!

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:36 am

Hovannes wrote:
JimVH wrote:
... had some projectile dysfunction.
I hate it when that happens.
They make pills for it and the patent has expired so almighty capitalism has brought prices down. What a time to be alive!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:54 am

Cap & Ball pistoleros!
I stumbled across this today---check out the Good to know stuff in the banner at the top of the page.
https://sites.google.com/view/beczloldw ... authuser=0
Fascinating!
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Hovannes wrote:Cap & Ball pistoleros!
I stumbled across this today---check out the Good to know stuff in the banner at the top of the page.
https://sites.google.com/view/beczloldw ... authuser=0
Fascinating!
Fascinating indeed! Cap and ball pistols are one of my favorite types of guns to collect and shoot. Thanks for sharing!

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 am

Glock 44. Who's excited and who's enraged?

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:15 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:31 am

I'd love to have one, but the Taurus TX22 has stellar reviews and can be had for much less. Though I do love my plastic fantastics.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:28 am

joegoat wrote:

I don’t get the negativity. Most of the negative comments I’ve read have centered around people being mad because Glock didn’t suck up to their own personal interests and couldn’t articulate a more rational objection.

A proven platform in a caliber we can all afford to shoot. How awful.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:23 am

JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:

I don’t get the negativity. Most of the negative comments I’ve read have centered around people being mad because Glock didn’t suck up to their own personal interests and couldn’t articulate a more rational objection.

I agree. Glock does exactly what the consumer asks for, based on market trends, and then everyone is upset that they did it. I can't count the number of times I've heard I wish Glock made a .22. Now they make it and no one is impressed.
The Gen 5 guns removed the finger grooves and people want them back now.
They introduce the model 45 and there is outcry for a 17 slide on a 19 frame not the more sensible model Glock gave them.
I think they're great guns! I would like to practice with a .22 that nearly perfectly mimics the 19 so I'm a future buyer.

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:27 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:23 am
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:

I agree. Glock does exactly what the consumer asks for, based on market trends, and then everyone is upset that they did it. I can't count the number of times I've heard I wish Glock made a .22. Now they make it and no one is impressed.
They introduce the model 45 and there is outcry for a 17 slide on a 19 frame not the more sensible model Glock gave them.
I think they're great guns! I would like to practice with a .22 that nearly perfectly mimics the 19 so I'm a future buyer.

Not a thing wrong with Glocks in my opinion. They're tools, not art and they work. They always work.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 am

Stanley76 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Not a thing wrong with Glocks in my opinion. They're tools, not art and they work. They always work.
They are fantastically simplistic in design. The gun can be fully disassembled with a punch. I can't think of another handgun that matches it.
There are many designs that match the reliability of Glocks, but they all accomplish that reliability with more complexity.
I'm a huge fan of Glock.

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:17 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 am
Stanley76 wrote:
joegoat wrote:
JimVH wrote:
joegoat wrote:

They are fantastically simplistic in design. The gun can be fully disassembled with a punch. I can't think of another handgun that matches it.
There are many designs that match the reliability of Glocks, but they all accomplish that reliability with more complexity.
I'm a huge fan of Glock.

I agree with you. I've got three and I carry a G19 98% of the time. For a person who is a buying their first handgun for home defense you can't beat a G17 with a Streamlight attached in my opinion.

Another advantage is that you can carry spare G17 magazines and they'll work in the G19 and G26. They are also relatively inexpensive and as I said, extremely reliable. They are tools, plain and simple. I did go with a Ruger MK 4 for a .22 pistol recently though. Let me know how you like that G44.

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:26 am

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55