GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JimVH » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 am

JMG wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:15 am
I'd love to have one, but the Taurus TX22 has stellar reviews and can be had for much less. Though I do love my plastic fantastics.
I'm not a full fledged hater, but I have been stung by Taurus before. After reading up on the TX 22 I decided it was worth consideration. I found a black Friday deal by happenstance and took the plunge. So far, it has lived up to the hype.

I've only put 200 rounds through it (100 Mini-Mags and 100 sub sonic), but they fed and fired without flaw. Great trigger, very comfortable outstanding grip, and all the features of a nice center fire weapon. I really couldn't find anything to complain about. They haven't released spare magazines for sale, yet, and the holster options are pretty limited, but I guess time will solve that.

I'm a big fan.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:12 pm

JimVH wrote:
JMG wrote:
I'd love to have one, but the Taurus TX22 has stellar reviews and can be had for much less. Though I do love my plastic fantastics.
I'm not a full fledged hater, but I have been stung by Taurus before. After reading up on the TX 22 I decided it was worth consideration. I found a black Friday deal by happenstance and took the plunge. So far, it has lived up to the hype.

I've only put 200 rounds through it (100 Mini-Mags and 100 sub sonic), but they fed and fired without flaw. Great trigger, very comfortable outstanding grip, and all the features of a nice center fire weapon. I really couldn't find anything to complain about. They haven't released spare magazines for sale, yet, and the holster options are pretty limited, but I guess time will solve that.

I'm a big fan.
I'll have to look into these TX22's. I have several guns from Taurus and only one was a lemon. It was a stainless CIA 650 (shrouded hammer .357 mag snub nose). This defect would have been a death jam down a dark alley in the bad part of town, but a few minutes of work with a needle file made it just as reliable as any other revolver I own.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

JMG
You American sniper
You American sniper

Post by JMG » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:56 am

JimVH wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 am
JMG wrote:

I'm a big fan.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Now...I've heard good things about Taurus revolvers, but not so much about their autos. However, the TX22 is getting some really good chatter. Nice to hear from you Jim that it has your seal of approval so far as well. I'd love to get one when we are in the States for my daughters to get used to a striker fire.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:44 am

JMG wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:56 am
JimVH wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:43 am
JMG wrote:

I'm a big fan.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Now...I've heard good things about Taurus revolvers, but not so much about their autos. However, the TX22 is getting some really good chatter. Nice to hear from you Jim that it has your seal of approval so far as well. I'd love to get one when we are in the States for my daughters to get used to a striker fire.
Since there's no "like" button on CPS, I'll just type "like". Like.

I could use one of the dancing "smilies" but I'm sorry, I just can't.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:52 am

Jocose wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:26 am
I have a few old rough single shot shotguns with little to no sale or trade value. Such an application might be in their future should the opportunity arises.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 pm

I saw this cool looking logo the other day
DEUS VULT!

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:40 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 pm
I saw this cool looking logo the other day
Yep. Cool.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:42 pm

So here's the story. During WWII my dad served on an APD (destroyer) in the South Pacific. He was GM 1st Class and one of his duties was maintaining small arms in the ship's armory. There was a shotgun in there that the ship's officers used to shoot clays from the stern of the ship.

After the war the ship was brought to the Philadelphia Shipyard to be broken up and my Dad was one of the last crew members to leave the ship. The Captain told him to take anything he wanted from the ship since the dockyard workers would take whatever they found. Instead of taking the pile of Japanese swords, flags and rifles in the armory, he took a set of files and asked the captain for that shotgun. It was a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge.

After the war he was a big quail and duck hunter. He had a Pointer named Sally and he used to take that Winchester and his dog and ride around in the country until he saw a likely looking field, pull over and hunt it. You could do that back then and nobody thought a thing about it. But then he married my Mom and by the time my sister, me and my brother came along the bird hunting faded away.

But he still had that Model 12 16 gauge. He used to take me hunting when I was a little guy for squirrels and rabbits. That's the first gun I ever shot and I remember being so little that he crouched down and I stood between his arms while he held the gun and I pulled the trigger. When I was a little older we went back in the field and he let me shoot a bird with it. It was a robin. He told me how to pluck it and clean it step by step and my Mom baked it that night in the oven. It looked like a tiny chicken and I remember eating those little drum sticks while my Dad was laughing.

When I was 12 I got my own shotgun, a Stevens 20 gauge single shot and I kept it and that Model 12 in a gun rack in my room.. A few years later our house was broken into and both guns were stolen.

So for decades I have been looking for a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge. There are plenty of 12 gauges out there but I never could find a 16 gauge that was chambered in 2 3/4". I found one or two that were 2 9/16" but I wanted one like my Dad's and one that could shoot modern shotgun shells.

So today I went to Mackey's to buy some shotgun shells and spotted a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge just like my Dad's, chambered in 2 3/4". Bought the hell out of it and got the guy down to 425.00. It's in great shape. It was manufactured in 1953, full choke. I like it.

The picture is me and my Dad. It's the only picture I have found of his shotgun. Wish it was clearer. Anyway, The End.

"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Very cool story!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

rgcurrey
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts
Minister to KIA Enthusiasts

Post by rgcurrey » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing, it was a great read, and I am happy you found one after all this time.
Well I got a job and tried to put my money away
But I got debts that no honest man can pay - B. Springsteen

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected." William Makepeace Thackeray

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:02 am

A very cool story!
DEUS VULT!

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Yup, good stuff. That’s the stuff of “gun culture.”
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Great story and a great gun. Well, both of them. My first shotgun was a Stevens single-shot, too, but a .410.
Very sorry they were stolen
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm
Great story and a great gun. Well, both of them. My first shotgun was a Stevens single-shot, too, but a .410.
Single shot .410s are great first guns! I had an Iver Johnson Champion to learn on.
DEUS VULT!

Del
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel
The Royal Order of the Holy Mackarel

Post by Del » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:52 pm

I don't know if there's an opt-in thread for gun laws, but I wanted to share this with you guys.

1) The Virginia House, Senate, and Governor belong to a Party that is all enthused about anti-gun legislation. They are working on the most severe gun control in America. There has been talk among them of door-to-door confiscation and even using the National Guard to do it.

2) Counties, municipalities, and local sheriffs have risen up in solidarity of civil disobedience, if those restrictions are passed and signed. The principles of "2nd Amendment Sanctuary" districts have been adopted by 90% of Virginia local counties.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/resistan ... ew-heights
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:46 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:47 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:09 pm
Single shot .410s are great first guns! I had an Iver Johnson Champion to learn on.
Mine was an H&R if I remember right.

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad

Post by JimVH » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:47 pm

I bought three boxes of .300 AAC Blackout this morning for stocking stuffers.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:47 pm

What's going on with Winchester ,22lrs? :(
DEUS VULT!

Stanley76
Master of Swords
Master of Swords

Post by Stanley76 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:05 pm

I'm looking at a Remington Model 31 16 gauge online and considering it. It has a poly-choke. Anybody have experience with poly-chokes? I had had a Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge with a poly-choke when I was a teenager but I'm not sure of how they perform. Any input or advice is appreciated. I don't care about how it looks, just how it performs.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:42 am

Stanley76 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:05 pm
I'm looking at a Remington Model 31 16 gauge online and considering it. It has a poly-choke. Anybody have experience with poly-chokes? I had had a Mossberg bolt action 12 gauge with a poly-choke when I was a teenager but I'm not sure of how they perform. Any input or advice is appreciated. I don't care about how it looks, just how it performs.
No personal experience here - I saw them on a lot of single barrel guns in my youth, but they pretty much disappeared when manufacturers started selling guns with interchangeable choke tubes. My dad and most others he hunted and shot with carried side by sides so I mostly only saw Polychokes at a distance.

A lot of the old timers I knew poo-poohed them, giving guns that had them disparaging names, calling them band aids and bandages on the muzzle, but they did work. My father considered them “ugly,” of course he’d never say that to anyone who had one.

I might add that the gun I shoot most is fitted with Briley choke tubes. I have 9 tubes for it (it came to me that way), but I haven’t used anything but Improved Cylinder and Modified in it for ages! The other tubes just sit in a case unused. It might just as easily have been bored that way with fixed chokes and I’d be just fine with it.

My advice, take it or leave it, would be to avoid buying too many shotguns guns too quickly at this early, very eager stage. You’ve got a very fine shotgun. Shoot your Fausti until it becomes quite familiar and comfortable and your mount is something that happens properly and repeatably perfect every time. If you change guns a lot now it will take longer to find that consistency.

(I’ve seen this happen with fly rods and fly casting with my fishing clients, too.)

Once you’ve shot the Fausti for a while and been around shotguns and other shooters for a while you’ll likely have a much better idea what you want/need for your next gun, and you’ll have saved enough to get a good one.

Recently, when I was selling some pipes to gather funds for new ham gear, I also sold a few shotguns. I had several that I bought in a fever that never quite fit me or found much use. I find that now one favorite 20ga. and one favorite 12ga. pretty much take care of my actual shooting.

Same with handguns here. I only have 2. Somehow, handguns never really struck my fancy.

Rifles are another matter. I could never have too many. I imagine I’ll likely get more. But that’s just me.

But if that’s you and shotguns, and if money is no problem ...

Buy everything that strikes your fancy!

(And post pictures!)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year