GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm

joegoat wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:59 pm
I have been looking for a stainless boat paddle stock M77 for years. I don't know why, but I find them to be the ultimate combination of classic bolt gun and rugged bush gun.
I have one of Rugers Gunsite Scouts in 308. It is basically a modified M77 and a great little rifle.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I’m thinking of replacing my composite stock (non boat paddle style) with a Boyd’s grey laminate (I think they call it salt and pepper) wood stock to go with the stainless steel. I was never a fan of the boat paddle myself, to each their own. :)
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Goin' shooting tomorrow morning with my old pardner from the Sheriff's SAR posse.
It'll be a hoot! :lol:
DEUS VULT!

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 pm

I will be getting the guns I own back into my possession soon. A Ruger 10/22 and a Browning 12 gauge. I have also been looking at Heritage revolvers since I discovered we are a constitutional carry state.
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:16 pm
I will be getting the guns I own back into my possession soon. A Ruger 10/22 and a Browning 12 gauge. I have also been looking at Heritage revolvers since I discovered we are a constitutional carry state.
Which Browning is the 12ga., Fainn?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:44 pm
Fainn wrote:
Browning Special 3 shot. Made in Belgium.

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Fainn wrote:I will be getting the guns I own back into my possession soon. A Ruger 10/22 and a Browning 12 gauge. I have also been looking at Heritage revolvers since I discovered we are a constitutional carry state.
The Ruger Wrangler is a nicer gun at the same price of the Heritage. Just my opinion.
Unless you're set on having a manual safety on a revolver that already has a transfer bar safety, the Wrangler is more bang for the buck.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:51 pm

Fainn wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Very nice.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:51 pm
Fainn wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Fainn wrote:
Very nice.
Inherited. Weird how I got nothing when dad died, but got all of my maternal grandfather's goodies. Even his wedding ring from 1943.

424cat
Usher
Usher

Post by 424cat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm

I carry a mouse gun, a little Beretta Tomcat .32acp. A small gun but it's in my pocket almost all the time.
on bended knee

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:21 pm

424cat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:41 pm
I carry a mouse gun, a little Beretta Tomcat .32acp. A small gun but it's in my pocket almost all the time.
I used to have a .22 Beretta. Loved that gun!
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts

Post by Fainn » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:01 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:11 pm
Fainn wrote:I will be getting the guns I own back into my possession soon. A Ruger 10/22 and a Browning 12 gauge. I have also been looking at Heritage revolvers since I discovered we are a constitutional carry state.
The Ruger Wrangler is a nicer gun at the same price of the Heritage. Just my opinion.
Unless you're set on having a manual safety on a revolver that already has a transfer bar safety, the Wrangler is more bang for the buck.

What makes it a nicer gun?

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Fainn wrote:
joegoat wrote:

What makes it a nicer gun?
Fit and finish wise I think the Wrangler looks better. The Heritage's darn safety lever is extremely ugly.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:45 pm

I bought myself a new gun belt from Hanks.
The last gun belt I had was a Safariland Sam Browne which I gave away after the Sheriff's SAR Posse was disbanded.
Hanks has a lot of good reviews and the prices seen right.
DEUS VULT!

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 pm

Not a gun, but sort of related to shooting.

Yesterday I bought another longbow for myself. A fellow at the archery range was selling it and insisted that I try it for myself. Well, I wasn’t really in the market for another bow right now, but when the first, second and third shot went straight into the bullseye and did so with no noticeable hand shock or noise I changed my mind about needing another bow.

Handmade bow, JK Traditions “Kanati” hybrid longbow. 62” Length 51# @30”. Bamboo and black fiberglass laminate limbs, some sort of wood in the handle. Very smooth and quiet shooter.

It will go rabbit and quail hunting with me next week and deer hunting in September.

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 pm

Yesterday I bought another longbow for myself. A fellow at the archery range was selling it and insisted that I try it for myself. Well, I wasn’t really in the market for another bow right now, but when the first, second and third shot went straight into the bullseye and did so with no noticeable hand shock or noise I changed my mind about needing another bow.

Handmade bow, JK Traditions “Kanati” hybrid longbow. 62” Length 51# @30”. Bamboo and black fiberglass laminate limbs, some sort of wood in the handle. Very smooth and quiet shooter.

It will go rabbit and quail hunting with me next week and deer hunting in September.

That is one gorgeous bow, Thunk.
Quail hunting with a bow. Wow!

You shame me.
I cheat. I hunt bobwhites with a scattergun. :D

I’ve had two handmade Wing Archery, Bob Lee bows over the years, a Red Wing Hunter and a Falcon. I sold the Red Wing to a friend a few years ago when I became physically unable to draw it - and my friend really wanted it.

I still have the Falcon (and some quivered cedar shaft arrows for it) hanging on the wall in my office.
Pretty as a painting.

There are few things In the world as pretty as a well made bow.

And your new acquisition is a beauty.
Enjoy it!

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 pm
Thunktank wrote:

You shame me.

I’ve had two handmade Wing Archery, Bob Lee bows over the years, a Red Wing Hunter and a Falcon. I sold the Red Wing to a friend a few years ago when I became physically unable to draw it - and my friend really wanted it.

I still have the Falcon (and some quivered cedar shaft arrows for it) hanging on the wall in my office.
Pretty as a painting.

Enjoy it!
I would think there's no dishonor in ground sluicing a bird with a bow. :D

Very pretty acquisition.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

You shame me.

Pretty as a painting.

Enjoy it!

Very pretty acquisition.
Thanks guys. Durango has a pretty good idea what flavor of bow that I have if he had a Bob Lee. If memory serves, it was Bob Lee who popularized the hybrid long bow. My other long bows have less deflex than this one has.

As for quail with a longbow and ground sluicing. I would never ground sluice a quail with a shotgun. In fact, I have little interest in hunting quail with a shotgun without dogs that flush them. But anyway, I will try and take them in the air with flu flu arrows or on the ground. No dogs this time of year, too hot for them and too many snakes!

Meanwhile my boy will carry a 22 for the rabbits only. We shall see.

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Thunktank wrote:

You shame me.

Pretty as a painting.

Enjoy it!

Very pretty acquisition.
Thanks guys. Durango has a pretty good idea what flavor of bow that I have if he had a Bob Lee. If memory serves, it was Bob Lee who popularized the hybrid long bow. My other long bows have less deflex than this one has.

As for quail with a longbow and ground sluicing. I would never ground sluice a quail with a shotgun. In fact, I have little interest in hunting quail with a shotgun without dogs that flush them. But anyway, I will try and take them in the air with flu flu arrows or on the ground. No dogs this time of year, too hot for them and too many snakes!

Meanwhile my boy will carry a 22 for the rabbits only. We shall see.
You get one in the air and you're my hero, something straight out of a Boy's Own book!

I wish you joy of it, sir. It's a real humdinger.
—Marcus Aurelius

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:28 pm

For some nostalgic fun, here’s a link to the Wing Archery 1965 catalogue. The Red Wing Hunter and the Falcon are both in here. My bows were roughly this vintage.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/debec60a059e62d ... oworigin=1

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:36 am

joegoat wrote:

I'm actually planning on purchasing a Wrangler later this year. Do you own one?
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis