GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Thunktank » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:27 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:06 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:34 pm
Thunktank wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 pm
Not a gun, but sort of related to shooting.

Yesterday I bought another longbow for myself. A fellow at the archery range was selling it and insisted that I try it for myself. Well, I wasn’t really in the market for another bow right now, but when the first, second and third shot went straight into the bullseye and did so with no noticeable hand shock or noise I changed my mind about needing another bow.

Handmade bow, JK Traditions “Kanati” hybrid longbow. 62” Length 51# @30”. Bamboo and black fiberglass laminate limbs, some sort of wood in the handle. Very smooth and quiet shooter.

It will go rabbit and quail hunting with me next week and deer hunting in September.

That is one gorgeous bow, Thunk.
Quail hunting with a bow. Wow!

You shame me.
I cheat. I hunt bobwhites with a scattergun. :D

I’ve had two handmade Wing Archery, Bob Lee bows over the years, a Red Wing Hunter and a Falcon. I sold the Red Wing to a friend a few years ago when I became physically unable to draw it - and my friend really wanted it.

I still have the Falcon (and some quivered cedar shaft arrows for it) hanging on the wall in my office.
Pretty as a painting.

There are few things In the world as pretty as a well made bow.

And your new acquisition is a beauty.
Enjoy it!
I would think there's no dishonor in ground sluicing a bird with a bow. :D

Very pretty acquisition.
Thanks guys. Durango has a pretty good idea what flavor of bow that I have if he had a Bob Lee. If memory serves, it was Bob Lee who popularized the hybrid long bow. My other long bows have less deflex than this one has.

As for quail with a longbow and ground sluicing. I would never ground sluice a quail with a shotgun. In fact, I have little interest in hunting quail with a shotgun without dogs that flush them. But anyway, I will try and take them in the air with flu flu arrows or on the ground. No dogs this time of year, too hot for them and too many snakes!

Meanwhile my boy will carry a 22 for the rabbits only. We shall see.
You get one in the air and you're my hero, something straight out of a Boy's Own book!

I wish you joy of it, sir. It's a real humdinger.
Someday I will! I doubt it will happen this upcoming outing though. I haven’t practiced moving targets in a while. I normally use shotguns on quail, but starting on the 15 we have a few weeks of archery only quail season, so no shotguns allowed. It’s also a great time to scout for the local mule deer which is our primary mission. But quail, rabbits and deer live in many of the same places. Quail and rabbits are more spot and stalk near water sources than walking through grasslands to flush them in these areas.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:20 pm

tuttle wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:11 pm
Fainn wrote:I will be getting the guns I own back into my possession soon. A Ruger 10/22 and a Browning 12 gauge. I have also been looking at Heritage revolvers since I discovered we are a constitutional carry state.
The Ruger Wrangler is a nicer gun at the same price of the Heritage. Just my opinion.
Unless you're set on having a manual safety on a revolver that already has a transfer bar safety, the Wrangler is more bang for the buck.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
I'm actually planning on purchasing a Wrangler later this year. Do you own one?
I don't yet, but I've handled several. I've seen prices as low as $179. The only thing stopping me from buying one is I have a stainless single six.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 pm

There was a front page story in our local newspaper today about local gun dealers not having ammunition to sell, or many guns for that matter.

I haven’t needed to buy anything for a while so I missed the fact of the latest shortage entirely.

So, I just took a look at some of my favorite online ammunition suppliers, and dang if it isn’t true. This seems to happen every time there’s a presidential election pending (with both sides certain the world will end if the other side wins) and certainly after any Democrat wins the presidency.

I’m just glad I stocked up (not hoarded, mind you, stocked up :D ) during the interlude when prices were reasonable and ammo plentiful - especially .22 LR. It seems that those golden days of yore were brief, indeed!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:56 pm
There was a front page story in our local newspaper today about local gun dealers not having ammunition to sell, or many guns for that matter.

I haven’t needed to buy anything for a while so I missed the fact of the latest shortage entirely.

So, I just took a look at some of my favorite online ammunition suppliers, and dang if it isn’t true. This seems to happen every time there’s a presidential election pending (with both sides certain the world will end if the other side wins) and certainly after any Democrat wins the presidency.

I’m just glad I stocked up (not hoarded, mind you, stocked up :D ) during the interlude when prices were reasonable and ammo plentiful - especially .22 LR. It seems that those golden days of yore were brief, indeed!
It's not hoarding, it's preparing.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

“It's okay to not be able to fix everyone's problems. Sometimes chocolate donuts are all you can do. And that's enough.“ JB’s buddy

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:14 pm

JimVH wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm
durangopipe wrote:

It is dawning upon me that I am severely underprepared.
"Anyone who knows anything of experts will know one thing for certain; that they will always be disturbing our way of living; and therefore we shall always be disputing their right of governing." - GKC. Feb 11, 1933.

The future is certain; it’s the past that keeps changing. ~ Old Soviet joke

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:01 pm

durangopipe wrote:

There has been little or no ammunition on the shelves here for the past three weeks---and what ammo there is will be some obscure caliber seldom encountered( A lonely box of .38 Super ACP +P+ seen warming the shelf at the Ace.) Very few firearms at retailers and reloading components are quickly dwindling---no pistol primers, small or large available in my town.
I don't know if it is paranoia about anarchists, widespread crime, price gougers, the coming election, the pandemic (gotta protect the TP :wink: ) or a mix of everything but it's rather disconcerting. Even black powder cap and ball stuff has vanished!
My CCW was up for renewal and the new permits (2 required in CA---both State DOJ and County) showed up in a day. I've never seen the State DOJ move that fast! 8O

I'm down to my last two flats of trap loads, so I'm good to go 8)
DEUS VULT!

hugodrax
Doctor Buttcrack
Doctor Buttcrack

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:33 am

Del wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:14 pm
JimVH wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

Half-baked, even. :D
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 am

hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

A shop in my area bought a guy's entire black powder collection. Used muzzle loaders go for next to nothing around here so I scored an unfired Thompson Center .45 side lock percussion and a Lyman .54 trade rifle.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:51 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:28 am
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

A shop in my area bought a guy's entire black powder collection. Used muzzle loaders go for next to nothing around here so I scored an unfired Thompson Center .45 side lock percussion and a Lyman .54 trade rifle.

Was there any Holy Black to go with it?
DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:59 am

This week I'm going to perforate the atmosphere with my old pard from the Sheriff's Posse.
He has a neat pistol range set up in the middle of his son in law's vineyard.
A few steel targets made from old discs suspended in front of a berm next to an irrigation pond :D
DEUS VULT!

GaryInVA
Minister to Vegetarian Hippies

Post by GaryInVA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 pm

I'm looking to buy my first firearm soon, a shotgun. Not a lot available right now in my price range.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

But it is easier for a Lifted Ford to pass under the beam of a parking garage than it is for a Dodge Ram driver to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Y'all crazy

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 pm

Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

No, but I have found a potential source about 45 minutes from me. I have yet to check them out.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:50 pm

GaryInVA wrote:I'm looking to buy my first firearm soon, a shotgun. Not a lot available right now in my price range.
For sporting or defense?

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:50 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 pm
Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

No, but I have found a potential source about 45 minutes from me. I have yet to check them out.

I have a Lyman Trade rifle I got from my dad. It’s my next gun project. I’m going to convert it to a cap lock with an L&R lock and install a fast twist Green Mountain barrel to it. The reasons for converting this one to percussion is in part to access black powder subs and modern projectiles now required for hunting in my state. It should be an accurate shooter with the open sights with more character than the in lines, but really, it’s the fact that my dad used it, told me lots of funny stories of failures he had with it that compels me to want to use it.

I still want to build or have a craftsman gunmaker build me a historically accurate long rifle flintlock someday that will only shoot real black powder.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

GaryInVA

Post by GaryInVA » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 pm

joegoat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:50 pm
GaryInVA wrote:I'm looking to buy my first firearm soon, a shotgun. Not a lot available right now in my price range.
For sporting or defense?

Defense. Was wanting a Remington 870 but nowhere to be found.
hugodrax wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm
This, gentlemen, is what it feels like when doves cry.

But it is easier for a Lifted Ford to pass under the beam of a parking garage than it is for a Dodge Ram driver to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.
Y'all crazy

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:11 pm

My friend's derringer up and quit.
We took it to the gunsmith.
The gunsmith said he just finished working on the same model derringer for another client.
He said the internals collect crud and they just stop working 8O
DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:14 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 pm
joegoat wrote:
For sporting or defense?

Save yourself some $$
Look for a used Wing Master :thumbsup:
DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:32 pm

A bit of firearms History is lost---the old Savage Arms factory in Utica burned down last night :(
https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2020/08/ ... utica.html
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Thunktank wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:49 pm
Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Del wrote:
JimVH wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

I have a Lyman Trade rifle I got from my dad. It’s my next gun project. I’m going to convert it to a cap lock with an L&R lock and install a fast twist Green Mountain barrel to it. The reasons for converting this one to percussion is in part to access black powder subs and modern projectiles now required for hunting in my state. It should be an accurate shooter with the open sights with more character than the in lines, but really, it’s the fact that my dad used it, told me lots of funny stories of failures he had with it that compels me to want to use it.

I still want to build or have a craftsman gunmaker build me a historically accurate long rifle flintlock someday that will only shoot real black powder.
Lyman makes a high quality traditional side lock. For full stocked long rifles, avoid traditions. I built one. It's a slow twist and darn accurate with patched round balls, but everything on it is just cheap. Spend the money on a good kit if you want to build one. I'd like to build a high quality kit gun, but these nice used guns keep popping up.

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Hovannes wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:15 pm
joegoat wrote:
For sporting or defense?

Save yourself some $$
Look for a used Wing Master Image
Avoid the Chinese knockoffs of the 870. The action bars are usually just brazed to the forend tubes and have been known to break loose.
The 870 is a fine gun. I'm forced to mention my pick though. The Winchester 1300 is one of the smoothest and most robust actions I've ever used. Sadly, the originals are discontinued though. There are some knockoffs and the rebranded Winchester's SPX, but the originals were simply silky smooth.