GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:22 am

deleted----messed up link

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 pm

I stopped by a shop with my wife today. The owner knows me and my preferences well. He handed me a Steyr m95 carbine as soon as I walked in. I might have to go back for it. Something better caught my eye. An Uberti repro of a Colt Richards Mason 1851 conversion with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. The repro is chambered in .38 special. Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:24 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:59 pm
I stopped by a shop with my wife today. The owner knows me and my preferences well. He handed me a Steyr m95 carbine as soon as I walked in. I might have to go back for it. Something better caught my eye. An Uberti repro of a Colt Richards Mason 1851 conversion with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. The repro is chambered in .38 special. Image

Sweet!
DEUS VULT!

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Marlin was bought by Ruger.

I’m feeling confident to say that this is probably a good thing. Henry is likely going to be my next levergun purchase, but if Ruger reworks the Marlins, I’m anxiously waiting to see what they do with it.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 am

Thunktank wrote:Marlin was bought by Ruger.

I’m feeling confident to say that this is probably a good thing. Henry is likely going to be my next levergun purchase, but if Ruger reworks the Marlins, I’m anxiously waiting to see what they do with it.
Will Marlin model 60's be as reliable as 10/22's? Mine was giving me fits last week. It was shaving half rings of lead and not fully chambering every third or fourth round.
Everything bigger than a .22 is bound to get thicker so they can cast it. Then again, everything may continue as normal.
I always find it funny the internet gun crowd calls anything with MIM components garbage, but they think Rugers are the strongest guns out there. Ruger was casting any thing they could before MIM was a thing.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 am

I’m looking at the Springfield Arms 911 in .380acp for a carry gun. Checks a lot of blocks for me. Anyone have any experience with this gun?
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 am

arank87 wrote:I’m looking at the Springfield Arms 911 in .380acp for a carry gun. Checks a lot of blocks for me. Anyone have any experience with this gun?
I've never shot one nor held one. Looks like they're trying to get some market share from Sig.
I'll tell you why I don't like the design. The single action hammer fired guns are completely out of my carry choices. You are either carrying it with an empty chamber and you'll need to work the action if the gun is needed.
You may carry with a loaded chamber and the hammer is down so you need to cock the hammer before you can fire it.
Another option for carrying with a loaded chamber is hammer cocked and safety on which means you have to take the safety off before firing.
I like to pull a gun and squeeze the trigger. No other steps. The internet gun people will tell you to train for the extra steps. Truth is, 99% of them have never been in a defensive shooting. And I doubt they train as much as they claim to. I know that I'd be a nervous wreck in that situation. I don't want to be trying to do anything other that hitting my target in a time like that.
I prefer a double/single action hammer fired gun carried with a loaded chamber, safety off, and hammer down or a Glock with a partially cocked striker "safe action."
Just my two cents. You should make the decision that makes sense for you. A carry gun will be carried far more than it is shot.

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 am
arank87 wrote:I’m looking at the Springfield Arms 911 in .380acp for a carry gun. Checks a lot of blocks for me. Anyone have any experience with this gun?
I've never shot one nor held one. Looks like they're trying to get some market share from Sig.
I'll tell you why I don't like the design. The single action hammer fired guns are completely out of my carry choices. You are either carrying it with an empty chamber and you'll need to work the action if the gun is needed.
You may carry with a loaded chamber and the hammer is down so you need to cock the hammer before you can fire it.
Another option for carrying with a loaded chamber is hammer cocked and safety on which means you have to take the safety off before firing.
I like to pull a gun and squeeze the trigger. No other steps. The internet gun people will tell you to train for the extra steps. Truth is, 99% of them have never been in a defensive shooting. And I doubt they train as much as they claim to. I know that I'd be a nervous wreck in that situation. I don't want to be trying to do anything other that hitting my target in a time like that.
I prefer a double/single action hammer fired gun carried with a loaded chamber, safety off, and hammer down or a Glock with a partially cocked striker "safe action."
Just my two cents. You should make the decision that makes sense for you. A carry gun will be carried far more than it is shot.

Very good points. I’m also considering a S&W j frame. I shoot left handed so it gets rid of that issue. One of the reason I’ve leaned into the SAO 1911 style pistols is how strongly Jeff Cooper advocated for them. But he wasn’t a 33 year old in 2020 and a full size 1911 isn’t realistic for me to carry.
“A true Lutheran relies on God’s Word and would not worry about it even if the whole world mocked and despised him for it. He does not consider the world an authority in religious matters. He rests his faith on higher authority.” C.F.W. Walther

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 pm

arank87 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 pm
joegoat wrote:

Very good points. I’m also considering a S&W j frame. I shoot left handed so it gets rid of that issue. One of the reason I’ve leaned into the SAO 1911 style pistols is how strongly Jeff Cooper advocated for them. But he wasn’t a 33 year old in 2020 and a full size 1911 isn’t realistic for me to carry.
Cooper was a great shooter and a real source of knowledge...I actually met him when I attended Gun Site years ago...but he didn't have the advantage of the Glock and Sig and S&W modern guns at the time he was drawing conclusions and advocating for one platform over another...its kind of like Bill Jordan advocating a S&W 19 Combat Magnum and clamshell holsters...at the time...cutting edge But there are better answers now. Not that the old answers won't or don't work...I love me a 1911 Colt and even more so an N-Frame S&W. I still carry a J Frame .38 sometimes, but the Keltec .32 is lighter easier to conceal and it has 2 more rounds. Its a very personal thing and you MUST be comfortable and well practiced in what ever you decide.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:43 pm
arank87 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:07 pm
joegoat wrote:

Cooper was a great shooter and a real source of knowledge...I actually met him when I attended Gun Site years ago...but he didn't have the advantage of the Glock and Sig and S&W modern guns at the time he was drawing conclusions and advocating for one platform over another...its kind of like Bill Jordan advocating a S&W 19 Combat Magnum and clamshell holsters...at the time...cutting edge But there are better answers now. Not that the old answers won't or don't work...I love me a 1911 Colt and even more so an N-Frame S&W. I still carry a J Frame .38 sometimes, but the Keltec .32 is lighter easier to conceal and it has 2 more rounds. Its a very personal thing and you MUST be comfortable and well practiced in what ever you decide.
I’ve looked at the Kel Tec .32acp. What’s it like for a day at the range? I’ve been looking at the Gun Site pistol course for a couple of years. What would they think if somebody showed up with a gun like the Kel Tec or a J Frame?

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 pm

As to a day at the range with a Keltec .32 or .380 it would net be a fun day...they are very small and not a lot of fun to shoot because the accuracy is tough with that small sight radius and the grip is never comfortable. I always take mine when I am shooting something else...then I fire a couple mags full in a close quarters drill with it. Same with my J-Frame. A day at the range gun is a Glock 17 or 21 or a Colt 1911 or...even a mid sized gun.

As to Gunsite, I am not sure they allow those as primary school guns...when I went through, a lot of years ago, I had a Smith & Wesson 645 as my primary and I took a Walther PPK and a S&W 36along, just to shoot some CQ drills. But almost all the shooting had to be done from an approved holster. I remember one guy on the squad had a Browning BDA and they gave him garbage about it...and he had a soft inside the waistband holster and he had to go to town and buy a new holster to participate.

I am a plain clothes/office dress and I carry a Glock 21 full sized .45 daily concealed. If I can't wear a sport coat or jacket, I carry the Glock 30 (still a large gun), and if Off Duty, I normally have the G-30 or the Keltec or the J Frame.

There are no fixed answers due to differences in body size, style of shooting, carry needs, and hundreds of other factors...the good news is there is an answer for everyone and its fun finding the perfect gun for you.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:06 pm

A Smith J frame is a great carry gun. I carry a 642 from time to time. Ruger's LCR is another top choice. Revolvers contour nicely in the waistband.
My regular inside the waistband gun is a gen 3 Glock 26. I've carried a Glock 30, but it was a bit too big of a brick for my liking. It is a great shooter for the size though. Outside the waistband I'll carry a Glock model 45 most days. Every now and then it will be an FNX 45 when I feel like something big. A Ruger SP101 is also in the lineup for outside the waistband carry.
There are some other top notch carry guns for your consideration.
The smaller the gun the less comfortable practice sessions will be.
.380 is the smallest caliber I would carry, but I wouldn't want to be shot with anything smaller or larger than that.
Finding a .380 that fits your hand to make shooting more comfortable is tough most companies are all about making .380's as small as possible.
You might could try looking at 9mm's. They will be more comfortable to shoot and aren't that much bigger to conceal.

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:40 am

joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:48 am
Thunktank wrote:Marlin was bought by Ruger.

Will Marlin model 60's be as reliable as 10/22's? Mine was giving me fits last week. It was shaving half rings of lead and not fully chambering every third or fourth round.
Everything bigger than a .22 is bound to get thicker so they can cast it. Then again, everything may continue as normal.
I always find it funny the internet gun crowd calls anything with MIM components garbage, but they think Rugers are the strongest guns out there. Ruger was casting any thing they could before MIM was a thing.

Yeah, I don’t know what they’re planning to do with it. I just know that under Remington there were some serious pains. I see MIM as an option, a common option today. Used correctly it’s fine. Of course other methods are perhaps prettier and more expensive, so long as the part is even in an obvious place. That’s Ruger for you, and it makes sense that Marlin would benefit from that kind of reasoning. I like to think that Marlins will end up working as intended again. Under Remington, that wasn’t always the case.

The Marlin 60 vs Ruger 1022, that’s an interesting meeting under one umbrella. Those two were chief competitors for generations! I am curious how they will deal with that.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

arank87
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by arank87 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:29 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:06 pm
A Smith J frame is a great carry gun. I carry a 642 from time to time. Ruger's LCR is another top choice. Revolvers contour nicely in the waistband.
My regular inside the waistband gun is a gen 3 Glock 26. I've carried a Glock 30, but it was a bit too big of a brick for my liking. It is a great shooter for the size though. Outside the waistband I'll carry a Glock model 45 most days. Every now and then it will be an FNX 45 when I feel like something big. A Ruger SP101 is also in the lineup for outside the waistband carry.
There are some other top notch carry guns for your consideration.
The smaller the gun the less comfortable practice sessions will be.
.380 is the smallest caliber I would carry, but I wouldn't want to be shot with anything smaller or larger than that.
Finding a .380 that fits your hand to make shooting more comfortable is tough most companies are all about making .380's as small as possible.
You might could try looking at 9mm's. They will be more comfortable to shoot and aren't that much bigger to conceal.

I put a box through a Glock 43X at the range last week. I had a pain in my trigger finger actually and struggled to be accurate. Now, while I have a lot of trigger time with an M4 I have had zero training in handguns so I’m just trying to do what I’ve seen on YouTube. And by that I mean follow what guys like Cooper or Jerry Miculek say to do, not what random tacticool nerds say to do. I loved the size of the G43 but I was worried about why it was hurting my trigger finger.

JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm

My sons asked about plinking 22s and ridding some of the turtles from my pond. Although I have done it at steep angles and knowing the background, I cautioned against it explaining the usual dangers of shooting at water.

However, the pond has woods at least 100 yards deep on two sides for a backdrop and I am thinking the ricocheted 22 would lose a lot of energy. I also wondered if shorts or hollow points would make the endeavor even safer.

But what I know about ballistics would fit into a thimble, so I am asking you folks for thoughts.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:40 am

If you like, I'll send you one of my nitroglycerine tablets.
If you can figure out how to detonate it, that should rid your pond of turtles.
No worry about ricocheting bullets, but maybe ricocheting turtles? 8O
DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:55 am

I needed an OWB holster for my 1911 which I added to my CCW license this year.
I already have an IWB holster, which is nice enough, but I felt an OWB would be preferred when the weather gets cooler and jackets, vests, and sweatshirts are appropriate for my climate.

A Wilson Combat Lo-Profile showed up in the mail and I've got to tell you this is one comfortable, secure holster! It is actually easy to forget you have a full size steel 1911 on your hip---I certainly can't say that about my IWB holster!

One of these might be worth looking at if you're in the market.
DEUS VULT!

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Bump.
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
My sons asked about plinking 22s and ridding some of the turtles from my pond. Although I have done it at steep angles and knowing the background, I cautioned against it explaining the usual dangers of shooting at water.

However, the pond has woods at least 100 yards deep on two sides for a backdrop and I am thinking the ricocheted 22 would lose a lot of energy. I also wondered if shorts or hollow points would make the endeavor even safer.

But what I know about ballistics would fit into a thimble, so I am asking you folks for thoughts.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:Bump.
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Bullets only travel a very short distance under water. This is a proven fact. I'd imagine, unless they are being shot at an angle so shallow that they don't break the surface, they would either fragment or loose so much energy that a ricochet would be almost impossible. Just my theory.
I'd be willing to bet this topic has lots of internet gun geniuses waxing eloquent though. I wonder if a YouTube video doesn't exist.