GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 pm
joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:Bump.
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
My sons asked about plinking 22s and ridding some of the turtles from my pond. Although I have done it at steep angles and knowing the background, I cautioned against it explaining the usual dangers of shooting at water.

However, the pond has woods at least 100 yards deep on two sides for a backdrop and I am thinking the ricocheted 22 would lose a lot of energy. I also wondered if shorts or hollow points would make the endeavor even safer.

But what I know about ballistics would fit into a thimble, so I am asking you folks for thoughts.
Bullets only travel a very short distance under water. This is a proven fact. I'd imagine, unless they are being shot at an angle so shallow that they don't break the surface, they would either fragment or loose so much energy that a ricochet would be almost impossible. Just my theory.
I'd be willing to bet this topic has lots of internet gun geniuses waxing eloquent though. I wonder if a YouTube video doesn't exist.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
At a shallow angle, they can ricochet off flat water. Really,
My experience and research say both of you are correct. My question is whether shorts would have less energy upon ricochet and if hollow points might fragment upon ricochet? Or would the difference between them and LR be negligible?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 am
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 pm
joegoat wrote:
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:
My sons asked about plinking 22s and ridding some of the turtles from my pond. Although I have done it at steep angles and knowing the background, I cautioned against it explaining the usual dangers of shooting at water.

However, the pond has woods at least 100 yards deep on two sides for a backdrop and I am thinking the ricocheted 22 would lose a lot of energy. I also wondered if shorts or hollow points would make the endeavor even safer.

But what I know about ballistics would fit into a thimble, so I am asking you folks for thoughts.
Bullets only travel a very short distance under water. This is a proven fact. I'd imagine, unless they are being shot at an angle so shallow that they don't break the surface, they would either fragment or loose so much energy that a ricochet would be almost impossible. Just my theory.
I'd be willing to bet this topic has lots of internet gun geniuses waxing eloquent though. I wonder if a YouTube video doesn't exist.

My experience and research say both of you are correct. My question is whether shorts would have less energy upon ricochet and if hollow points might fragment upon ricochet? Or would the difference between them and LR be negligible?
Gallery shorts should fragment, but then they'd probably fragment off a turtle's shell.Image
DEUS VULT!

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am

Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:

It would be the same physics as skipping stones. Too steep an angle will cause the stone to break the surface tension. The shallow angle along with speed causes the skip.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Thunktank
Needs to smoke more
Needs to smoke more

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am

If I were to do turtle culling I would use my .22 caliber pellet gun with dome pellets. Head shots to 40 yards possible. Pellets shed energy very fast and are virtually harmless at anything beyond short range. But I have no doubt it would work on turtles. It can take out raccoons and fox. But I cannot imagine why I would cull turtles. I would be down to trying turtle soup come to think of it.
These days PCP airguns are affordable options with many benefits like this, not that a PCP is required here, it’s just that they’re easier to be accurate with than other types. After you’re done culling you have a gun you can shoot in many back yards that will rival the accuracy of a good 22 rimfire.
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” -Yoda

No complaining + gratefulness= happiness

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:22 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am
Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:

It would be the same physics as skipping stones. Too steep an angle will cause the stone to break the surface tension. The shallow angle along with speed causes the skip.

DEUS VULT!