GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JudgeRusty
Minister of Shrewd Judgements
Minister of Shrewd Judgements

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 am

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 pm
joegoat wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:Bump.
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
My sons asked about plinking 22s and ridding some of the turtles from my pond. Although I have done it at steep angles and knowing the background, I cautioned against it explaining the usual dangers of shooting at water.

However, the pond has woods at least 100 yards deep on two sides for a backdrop and I am thinking the ricocheted 22 would lose a lot of energy. I also wondered if shorts or hollow points would make the endeavor even safer.

But what I know about ballistics would fit into a thimble, so I am asking you folks for thoughts.
Bullets only travel a very short distance under water. This is a proven fact. I'd imagine, unless they are being shot at an angle so shallow that they don't break the surface, they would either fragment or loose so much energy that a ricochet would be almost impossible. Just my theory.
I'd be willing to bet this topic has lots of internet gun geniuses waxing eloquent though. I wonder if a YouTube video doesn't exist.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
At a shallow angle, they can ricochet off flat water. Really,
My experience and research say both of you are correct. My question is whether shorts would have less energy upon ricochet and if hollow points might fragment upon ricochet? Or would the difference between them and LR be negligible?
"That's what's wrong with the world today, people messin' with stuff they don't know nothin' about."

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:30 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:45 am
Hovannes wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 pm
joegoat wrote:
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:
My sons asked about plinking 22s and ridding some of the turtles from my pond. Although I have done it at steep angles and knowing the background, I cautioned against it explaining the usual dangers of shooting at water.

However, the pond has woods at least 100 yards deep on two sides for a backdrop and I am thinking the ricocheted 22 would lose a lot of energy. I also wondered if shorts or hollow points would make the endeavor even safer.

But what I know about ballistics would fit into a thimble, so I am asking you folks for thoughts.
Bullets only travel a very short distance under water. This is a proven fact. I'd imagine, unless they are being shot at an angle so shallow that they don't break the surface, they would either fragment or loose so much energy that a ricochet would be almost impossible. Just my theory.
I'd be willing to bet this topic has lots of internet gun geniuses waxing eloquent though. I wonder if a YouTube video doesn't exist.

My experience and research say both of you are correct. My question is whether shorts would have less energy upon ricochet and if hollow points might fragment upon ricochet? Or would the difference between them and LR be negligible?
Gallery shorts should fragment, but then they'd probably fragment off a turtle's shell.Image
DEUS VULT!

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am

Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:

It would be the same physics as skipping stones. Too steep an angle will cause the stone to break the surface tension. The shallow angle along with speed causes the skip.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:19 am

If I were to do turtle culling I would use my .22 caliber pellet gun with dome pellets. Head shots to 40 yards possible. Pellets shed energy very fast and are virtually harmless at anything beyond short range. But I have no doubt it would work on turtles. It can take out raccoons and fox. But I cannot imagine why I would cull turtles. I would be down to trying turtle soup come to think of it.
These days PCP airguns are affordable options with many benefits like this, not that a PCP is required here, it’s just that they’re easier to be accurate with than other types. After you’re done culling you have a gun you can shoot in many back yards that will rival the accuracy of a good 22 rimfire.
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:22 am

joegoat wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am
Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Anyone?
JudgeRusty wrote:

It would be the same physics as skipping stones. Too steep an angle will cause the stone to break the surface tension. The shallow angle along with speed causes the skip.

DEUS VULT!

Fainn
Master's of fArts
Master's of fArts
Location: Unleashing a deadly fart cloud on some unsuspecting soul

Post by Fainn » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:30 pm

Most local shops are sold out of ammo. Big surprise, but reccommendations on where to find .30 bullets?
Opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, but mine is the best.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Fainn wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:30 pm
Most local shops are sold out of ammo. Big surprise, but reccommendations on where to find .30 bullets?
.30 Bullets for reloading, or .30 cal factory ammo?
Either way, good luck!
DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:34 am

The Webely- Fosbery Airsoft?
Will it come with a Myles Archer target?
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:07 pm

One of these is still on a gun shop shelf. Image

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:34 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:07 pm

Looks like a good way to skin the web of your hand :whistling:
DEUS VULT!

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:40 am

joegoat wrote:

This was one of those guns that I just couldn't keep around. I have owned 5 of them...bought them for my usage and carry. Everytime I had one, someone would come to me with $$ and down the road the SIG would go...the P230 is just one of those guns that feels good in the hand. Prices have gone up...so I may be done with them...but it was good merchandise for me back when the prices were reasonable
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 am

Well its been a bleak hunting season for me. Didn't get a Muzzleloader deer. didn't get any mountain grouse. Got 2 cottontails but that is the only meat.

The club where our cabin is has a wood/burn pile dump...but with the fire bans/danger in Colorado this summer no burning is taking place. The club facilities chairman asked if I would mind thinning the Pack Rat population at the pile.

Many many pack rats were "ended"

Went through 50 rounds with another member and we piled the bodies up for the eagles/foxes/coyotes.

Never would have thought there were that many pack rats around.

My shooting partner was using his Winchester 69A and I had my Winchester 72...only picture is of my rifle. Sorry we didn't plan on making a day of it...so we didn't have a camera with us.

Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:58 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
joegoat wrote:

This was one of those guns that I just couldn't keep around. I have owned 5 of them...bought them for my usage and carry. Everytime I had one, someone would come to me with $$ and down the road the SIG would go...the P230 is just one of those guns that feels good in the hand. Prices have gone up...so I may be done with them...but it was good merchandise for me back when the prices were reasonable
I just have a thing for blowback operated guns like this.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Well, it seems that I've succumbed to the Wilson Combat siren.
Wilson Combat is an outfit that makes tweaked pistols, magazines and accessories for special forces, SWAT, Secret Service and FBI units---all extremely expensive and in my opinion, overkill, especially when it comes to reliable old chargers like the 1911.
Last March I renewed my CCW and was looking for upgrades for my 1911 since it isn't very convenient to conceal, if needed, and 7 rounds(8 with one up the spout) isn't in the same ball park as Glocks with considerably more magazine capacity. The thing is, 8 round magazine don't have the record for reliability 7 rounders do in 1911s.
I asked a 1911 aficionado I respect for ideas that wouldn't break the bank, "bit the bullet" so to speak and tried the gear out.
I'm impressed!
The Wilson Combat Lo-profile holster is thin and comfortable. It is an OWB pancake design and conceals very well under a sweatshirt, sweater, and any untucked shirt like an Aloha, Guayabera , fishing, bowling, team jersey etc...
I also picked up two new stainless steel 8 round(9 with one up the spout) magazines that certainly build confidence. These are Chip McCormick(recently taken over by Wilson Combat) Match magazines which permit me to carry two extra rounds for a total of 17 between the two magazine.

The holster was a good deal compared with a custom holster I had been considering, and was in stock for $70 less than the custom which would have taken approximately five months to get delivered. The magazines were a bit more than my usual plain steel CheckMates but if I should actually ever need two more rounds to defend my family, it would be well worth the few extra bucks, and being stainless should offer a good long service life.
DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 am
Well its been a bleak hunting season for me. Didn't get a Muzzleloader deer. didn't get any mountain grouse. Got 2 cottontails but that is the only meat.

The club where our cabin is has a wood/burn pile dump...but with the fire bans/danger in Colorado this summer no burning is taking place. The club facilities chairman asked if I would mind thinning the Pack Rat population at the pile.

Went through 50 rounds with another member and we piled the bodies up for the eagles/foxes/coyotes.

My shooting partner was using his Winchester 69A and I had my Winchester 72...only picture is of my rifle. Sorry we didn't plan on making a day of it...so we didn't have a camera with us.

The 72 is a darned fine shooting rifle!
At least the one I had he pleasure to shoot was :D
DEUS VULT!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:36 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:45 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 am

The 72 is a darned fine shooting rifle!
At least the one I had he pleasure to shoot was :D
Sounds like a lot of fun.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Stanley76
CPS Man-at-Arms
CPS Man-at-Arms

Post by Stanley76 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:50 am

I'm tired of guns. I can't wait to surrender mine to the government.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:46 pm

My brother in law died a few years ago leaving the family heirloom guns to my wife. We were told they were all old, rusted, and broken and had been kept just for sentiment. They’ve sat in a closet all this time wrapped in old sheets. Today, my grandson and I opened it all up to see what was there and had a fun surprise: Two .410s that are still in decent shape and functional. The nicest is a Stevens 167 pump. I cleaned it up and the action is tight and smooth. Except for some minor pitting the bluing is in pretty good shape. The barrel is rust free and the stock only has what I would call normal wear and tear. The other is an Ithica M-66 lever action single shot. It’s tight and smooth, also, but the bluing is rough and the stock looks like it was dragged through a briar patch.

We’re pretty excited. We know the 167’s family history, but the M-66 is a mystery. Based on what I could find on the web, they both date back to the late 60s-early 70s. It all made for a great afternoon.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:57 pm

Stanley76 wrote:I'm tired of guns. I can't wait to surrender mine to the government.
I thought you had an unfortunate boating accident.

hugodrax
Happy with JimVH
Happy with JimVH

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:18 pm

joegoat wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:57 pm
Stanley76 wrote:I'm tired of guns. I can't wait to surrender mine to the government.
I thought you had an unfortunate boating accident.

He’s going to if he keeps talking like that, I tell you what.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth
—Marcus Aurelius

non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam