GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by durangopipe » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:50 am

JimVH wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:46 pm
My brother in law died a few years ago leaving the family heirloom guns to my wife. We were told they were all old, rusted, and broken and had been kept just for sentiment. They’ve sat in a closet all this time wrapped in old sheets. Today, my grandson and I opened it all up to see what was there and had a fun surprise: Two .410s that are still in decent shape and functional. The nicest is a Stevens 167 pump. I cleaned it up and the action is tight and smooth. Except for some minor pitting the bluing is in pretty good shape. The barrel is rust free and the stock only has what I would call normal wear and tear. The other is an Ithica M-66 lever action single shot. It’s tight and smooth, also, but the bluing is rough and the stock looks like it was dragged through a briar patch.

We’re pretty excited. We know the 167’s family history, but the M-66 is a mystery. Based on what I could find on the web, they both date back to the late 60s-early 70s. It all made for a great afternoon.
Good stuff, Jim.
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm

I finally found a Colt 1860 Army with the early fully fluted cylinder. Colt went back to the unfluted cylinders after they found out that the newest alloy still didn't have the strength for this.
The virus has really cut the numbers of Italian reproduction revolvers on the US market. I can't believe the deal I got on this! They sold out almost immediately though. Now we wait on the FedEx truck.Image

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

tuttle
Tomnoddy Attercop
Tomnoddy Attercop

Post by tuttle » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:46 am

joegoat wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:02 pm
I finally found a Colt 1860 Army with the early fully fluted cylinder. Colt went back to the unfluted cylinders after they found out that the newest alloy still didn't have the strength for this.
The virus has really cut the numbers of Italian reproduction revolvers on the US market. I can't believe the deal I got on this! They sold out almost immediately though. Now we wait on the FedEx truck.Image

That's awesome!
"The Evangelium has not abrogated legends; it has hallowed them" -JRR Tolkien

"Better to die cheerfully with the aid of a little tobacco, than to live disagreeably and remorseful without." -CS Lewis

Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Post by Hovannes » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:24 am

joegoat wrote:

Very cool!
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:

Very cool!
Sexy! Aside from the cleaning, black powder is a hoot! I haven't seen prices on any of the components go up in the most recent madness either. I can still get anything I need at the same place.

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Great American Outdoors, the same folks who ran Cabelas and Bass Pro into the ground bought Sportsman's Warehouse.
2020 running true to form to the very end :twisted:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sport ... =bigcharts
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Hovannes wrote:Great American Outdoors, the same folks who ran Cabelas and Bass Pro into the ground bought Sportsman's Warehouse.

I hate the big outdoor stores now. They're overpriced and the service blows. I feel I have evened the score with Cabelas though. I had their Visa and had racked up a ton of points without ever running a balance (in my pre Dave Ramsey days). I also had a 20% off on anything but firearms coupon as a club member. I had to go through two floor level salespeople, a supervisor and a manager to convince them a black powder gun was not a "firearm" and that the 20% should be good on them. After all that, I walked out with my Remington 1858 revolving carbine for $50 after the discount and using up my points. Cool gun. It beets a shoulder stock on a standard revolver.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:09 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 pm
Hovannes wrote:Great American Outdoors, the same folks who ran Cabelas and Bass Pro into the ground bought Sportsman's Warehouse.

I hate the big outdoor stores now. They're overpriced and the service blows. I feel I have evened the score with Cabelas though. I had their Visa and had racked up a ton of points without ever running a balance (in my pre Dave Ramsey days). I also had a 20% off on anything but firearms coupon as a club member. I had to go through two floor level salespeople, a supervisor and a manager to convince them a black powder gun was not a "firearm" and that the 20% should be good on them. After all that, I walked out with my Remington 1858 revolving carbine for $50 after the discount and using up my points. Cool gun. It beets a shoulder stock on a standard revolver.

Revolving rifles scare the hell out of me! 8O
DEUS VULT!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:41 pm

Hovannes wrote:
joegoat wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Revolving rifles scare the hell out of me! 8O
Hold em with both hands behind the cylinder. The 16" barrel on this one isn't historically correct, but it does keep the weight in the front down.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:23 pm

Oy! It's Biblical!

DEUS VULT!

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:52 pm

Mattel revisited
DEUS VULT!

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:21 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:52 pm
Mattel revisited
Good stuff!
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:53 pm

Apache Scouts with their rifles
DEUS VULT!

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:15 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:52 pm
Mattel revisited
I had the detective special cap pistol. Mine was dark...my cousin had a silver one. Good memories
Last edited by Bloodhound on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Jester
Brother of Tuttle
Brother of Tuttle

Post by Jester » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:26 pm

Picking up an AR-shotgun this week.
FIGHT LAUGH FEAST

JimVH
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Boop Totesadorbs' Dad
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Boom.

Literally.
"The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days." Ray Wylie Hubbard

"Your boos mean nothing. I see what you cheer." Kevin Sorbo

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:28 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:23 pm
Jester wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:26 pm
Boom.

Literally.
BoomBoomBoomBoomBoomBoomBoomBoom!

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:35 pm

Anybody here actually have a problem shooting lots of 38 special in a .357 magnum?
The old wives tale is that 38 specials flame cut the chambers and make them rough so when you shoot .357 magnum the cases expand into the rough area and get stuck.
I ask because someone sold several single action army repros to a gun shop in my area. I'd like to have one in 38 special to get close to original chamberings without getting into an oddball calliber, but the ones available are .357 magnum.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:50 pm

joegoat wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:35 pm
Anybody here actually have a problem shooting lots of 38 special in a .357 magnum?
The old wives tale is that 38 specials flame cut the chambers and make them rough so when you shoot .357 magnum the cases expand into the rough area and get stuck.
I ask because someone sold several single action army repros to a gun shop in my area. I'd like to have one in 38 special to get close to original chamberings without getting into an oddball calliber, but the ones available are .357 magnum.

The only problem I've heard of .38s in .357s is lead building up in the chambers where the .38 round is shorter than the .357 brass. Easy to prevent with normal cleaning.
AFAIK, flame cutting was an issue with very lightweight bullets launching at very high velocities.
I carried a .357 for close to 18 years on the Sheriff's SAR Posse and .38s never caused a problem.
DEUS VULT!

Roadmaster
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack
Fan of Dr. Buttcrack

Post by Roadmaster » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:59 pm

Good luck finding 357 ammunition.