GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Minister of Unanswered Threads

Re: GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:57 pm

Roadmaster wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:59 pm
Good luck finding 357 ammunition.
Good luck finding any ammunition!
DEUS VULT!

joegoat
Minstrel of Midnight Serenades

Post by joegoat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:19 am

Hovannes wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Yup. My intent was to eventually hand load lead round nose bullets for the historical aspect. I may even do some black powder loads to get the smoke and smell too. Everything for reloading 44 LC and 38 special "cowboy loads" can be found except the primers. Ready loaded stuff? Ha! A 50 round box of 45LC was going for $69 last time I found it.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:19 am
Hovannes wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:
Yup. My intent was to eventually hand load lead round nose bullets for the historical aspect. I may even do some black powder loads to get the smoke and smell too. Everything for reloading 44 LC and 38 special "cowboy loads" can be found except the primers. Ready loaded stuff? Ha! A 50 round box of 45LC was going for $69 last time I found it.

Well this is an eye opener!
I haven’t looked for ammo in a while. I’ve got a decent supply. (And about 1000 primers. I do need some lead shot, though.)

Last time I ran into this was years ago when .22LR was being scalped. I almost ran out before it became readily available again, and I bought a bunch. I had and have more than enough stock of everything else I shoot.

So here’s a question ...

Is this the new normal, or is ammo going to become readily available again?
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm
joegoat wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:19 am
Hovannes wrote:
Roadmaster wrote:

Well this is an eye opener!
I haven’t looked for ammo in a while. I’ve got a decent supply. (And about 1000 primers. I do need some lead shot, though.)

Last time I ran into this was years ago when .22LR was being scalped. I almost ran out before it became readily available again, and I bought a bunch. I had and have more than enough stock of everything else I shoot.

So here’s a question ...

Is this the new normal, or is ammo going to become readily available again?
I think the cycle of availability is the new normal.

I also stocked up on most of what I need a few years ago to avoid feeling the pinch we’re in now. I’ve had more than enough this year to shoot at quail with impunity.

However, for the first time I have been acutely anxious for our democratic republic and the hoards of wannabe warlords who have been stocking up for years with anti-personnel hardware to use against the perceived threat from folks like me. Last night, somewhere between my day dreaming and rational concerns I went looking for cartridges that meet Geneva Convention rules just in case. So far, I have had little luck. But hey, at least I have several hundred hard cast bullets and a couple boxes of full metal jackets for a few of my guns. As outnumbered as I am that will be more than sufficient. :clown:
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:07 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:04 pm

However, for the first time I have been acutely anxious for our democratic republic and the hoards of wannabe warlords who have been stocking up for years with anti-personnel hardware to use against the perceived threat from folks like me Last night, somewhere between my day dreaming and rational concerns I went looking for cartridges that meet Geneva Convention rules just in case. So far, I have had little luck. But hey, at least I have several hundred hard cast bullets and a couple boxes of full metal jackets for a few of my guns. As outnumbered as I am that will be more than sufficient. :clown:
:D

I know this ...

Going to the range is not quite the simple joy it once was - a bunch of gun lovers and shooters out for an afternoon of simple pleasures with like-minded company, with the occasional exceptionally fine or historic gun showing up to be admired and talked about.

I hear more crazy talk and see more tacticool clothing and arms than I would in a Jason Bourne movie! The constant rapid fire tests my hearing protection, and everyone seems to be preparing for either a political or a zombie apocalypse. (Maybe they're the same thing.)
. . . be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV)

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

Bloodhound
Loves Nickel Bands
Loves Nickel Bands

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:48 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:

However, for the first time I have been acutely anxious for our democratic republic and the hoards of wannabe warlords who have been stocking up for years with anti-personnel hardware to use against the perceived threat from folks like me Last night, somewhere between my day dreaming and rational concerns I went looking for cartridges that meet Geneva Convention rules just in case. So far, I have had little luck. But hey, at least I have several hundred hard cast bullets and a couple boxes of full metal jackets for a few of my guns. As outnumbered as I am that will be more than sufficient. :clown:

I know this ...

Going to the range is not quite the simple joy it once was - a bunch of gun lovers and shooters out for an afternoon of simple pleasures with like-minded company, with the occasional exceptionally fine or historic gun showing up to be admired and talked about.

I hear more crazy talk and see more tacticool clothing and arms than I would in a Jason Bourne movie! The constant rapid fire tests my hearing protection, and everyone seems to be preparing for either a political or a zombie apocalypse. (Maybe they're the same thing.)
I was reading recently about the Coors (as in Coors Beer), gun collection and the Sunday after church matches that Adolf and his family hosted and participated in and it sounds like in some respects those were the good old days...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:21 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:07 pm
Thunktank wrote:

I know this ...

Yeah, I’m only in my mid 40’s and remember those good ol days.

Sadly, a couple of years ago my sons and I discussed the reality that they cannot share with most of their friends and especially on social media the good ol fun they may have had with family and friends shooting or hunting on the weekend. The potential ramifications of doing such a thing could potentially ruin us, even though everything we do is legal, safe and good clean fun that brings us together. We live in a nation dominated by growing extremes. It saddens me beyond words. :(
“ Nature never appeals to intelligence until habit and instinct are useless. There is no intelligence where there is no need of change.”

H.G.Wells

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm

Everything is anodized aluminum and plastic now. Guns are designed for modern CNC machines to pump out in the most efficient way possible.
I enjoy the new stuff. I have lots of it and the mechanical side of it attracts me, but my eye will always be drawn to the old stuff. The stocks with rich grain, the deep blue finishes, the rainbow of colors in case hardening; guns with beauty built into them.
I love working the bolt on a rifle. I like shooting my muzzle loaders one shot at a time. Watching the cloud of smoke from a black powder revolver and smelling it a second later is an awesome experience. I am that guy that takes his time to aim. Punching out the entire middle of the target or kicking up dust from the berm with heavy "suppressive fire" isn't my thing.
My generation has been raised on "tactical" guns in video games, not going out with their dads, uncles, and grandpa's to hunt or shot.
My generation is stunted. Masculinity has been demonized by Hollywood and the media so rather than turning into men, little boys stay little boys. They play their video games and then want to go out in the yard and pretend to be in that game.
"The times they are a changing.'

Quando omni flunkus, moritati (When all else fails, play dead) - The Possum Lodge Oath

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Post by AFRS » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Thunktank wrote:

However, for the first time I have been acutely anxious for our democratic republic and the hoards of wannabe warlords who have been stocking up for years with anti-personnel hardware to use against the perceived threat from folks like me.
Don't worry, Thunk. I put the word out across the Right-Wing-revolution-white-supremacy-protestant-violence-warlord network. No one perceives you as a threat. Also, just in case, I told them to leave you alone.

You're welcome.

durangopipe
The Goat Fairy
The Goat Fairy

Post by durangopipe » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:44 pm

Oh dear. The nostalgia door has been cracked opened, the camel's nose is under the tent, give me an inch and I'll take a mile's worth of mixed metaphors.

I well remember when shooting was considered (and was) a wholesome pastime and advertisements for sporting arms appeared in many of the major national publications.

This is a Remington ad that was in Boy's Life the year I went off to college (back when the base model 870 was a well machined and finished, nicely blued, walnut stocked shotgun) ...

And this Remington Christmas ad is out of Mechanix Illustrated ...

I really didn't want to grow old talking about the good old days, but dammit ...

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:49 pm

My sons and daughters will be raised with a healthy respect for firearms because they will be in the house. It is their decision if they want to become passionate about them or not, but if they do I'll be standing by to get them their first BB guns and .22 rifles.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:44 pm

joegoat wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm
Everything is anodized aluminum and plastic now. Guns are designed for modern CNC machines to pump out in the most efficient way possible.
I enjoy the new stuff. I have lots of it and the mechanical side of it attracts me, but my eye will always be drawn to the old stuff. The stocks with rich grain, the deep blue finishes, the rainbow of colors in case hardening; guns with beauty built into them.
I love working the bolt on a rifle. I like shooting my muzzle loaders one shot at a time. Watching the cloud of smoke from a black powder revolver and smelling it a second later is an awesome experience. I am that guy that takes his time to aim. Punching out the entire middle of the target or kicking up dust from the berm with heavy "suppressive fire" isn't my thing.
My generation has been raised on "tactical" guns in video games, not going out with their dads, uncles, and grandpa's to hunt or shot.
My generation is stunted. Masculinity has been demonized by Hollywood and the media so rather than turning into men, little boys stay little boys. They play their video games and then want to go out in the yard and pretend to be in that game.

I've noticed that!
DEUS VULT!

Thunktank
Small Hip-ster
Small Hip-ster

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:14 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:44 pm
joegoat wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:01 pm

I've noticed that!
I don’t have any beef with the young people enjoying their range games. I know here in the urban areas, a lot more kids shoot guns with their dads who don’t hunt. I have felt a great deal of inner turmoil over “tactical” shooting sports and interest. I still have an AR lower that I never built. I have good friends who love building ARs and other guns at least as much as they enjoy shooting them. It’s good clean fun. It is and always has been about the person behind the trigger.

Shooting ARs the way they were designed to be shot, not the truncated versions in ban states like mine require, are subjectively almost as much fun and often just as practical as a well loved lever action. They can have have perfectly good and legitimate purposes. But when guns, guns of any kind become the idol of irrational beliefs and behaviors, then it becomes a problem.

Turning strange thoughts about deadly force into a hobby, or allowing anti social militancy to creep into America’s “gun culture” divorced of its higher social responsibilities is a disgrace. There is some of that among the modern shooting scene these days IMO. Those are a different sort of nut, and I know from my own experience that the tacticool styling alone does not define the man (or woman) anymore than hair styles, beards or tattoos do. There’s a good and right way to use and enjoy black powder arms or MSRs. I may eventually build upon that AR lower someday, when and if I live in a state that understands that in the hands of responsible and thoughtful citizens, they are good and proper. While also fully recognizing that I also live in a state that recognizes the failures surrounding guns and some of the people who have them. The trick is knowing how to deal with and fairly identify the few who are a problem and a danger. The even bigger trick is finding ways to mitigate the root cause of irrational behaviors and beliefs that threaten the freedom and security we as Americans should be able to enjoy. The power of arms is important, even more so is the power of wisdom.

H.G.Wells

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:12 am

On a side note, I just scored a brand new Lee classic loader for 45 long Colt that didn't cost $100. Now just to locate those pesky primers...

joegoat

Post by joegoat » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am

To all the Glock fans who are also 40 caliber fans. I guess Glock is releasing at least the model 22 in the Gen 5 lineup.

Hovannes

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 pm

Taking an on-line class and duck hunting :chili:
DEUS VULT!