GUNS! That's what's happenin'!

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 02, 2014 12:54 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 pm

That's stupid.

I still wouldn't buy one though. They lost me at "electronic chip". More and more, I'm loving wheel guns.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 pm

:joy:

The death threats aside, which isn't good. A "smart gun" is really a stupid idea only because states like mine will then require all guns be "smart."
Last edited by Thunktank on Fri May 02, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Fri May 02, 2014 1:01 pm

What the? This calls for an explanation on your part...over an afternoon beer. I would've thought you'd be all for the option.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Cleon wrote:
What the? This calls for an explanation on your part...over an afternoon beer.
All you needed to do was give me sec. :wink:

In addition to what I added above, there's some really bad aspects about a computer chip gun. Reliability and expense for regular civilian use are only the tip of the iceburg concerning the problems. The biggest one though is the political implications. There are already states who have laws on the books that as soon as a smart handgun is on the market, all other handguns will be illegal for sale. And that alone is reason enough for me not to desire smart guns.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 02, 2014 1:21 pm

I mean good grief, you just know that a smart gun will run into technical difficulties and become outdated much sooner than my Old fashioned double action revolver. Heck, even those Glocks will become instant and timeless classics the moment smart guns take the stage.

I know it's only a matter of time before technology will change the face of gun manufacturing like this. I'm usually pretty forward thinking about most things but still, there's something to be said for pure mechanics.

I'm dealing with the same issues of technology with my use of trucks/suvs. There's not a lot of old school 4x4 left to choose from anymore. There were certain advantages to them that the new ones simply cannot match. A mechanical system with a solid axle or two is unmatched in certain circumstances. Push button air suspension lifts with computer systems get in the way of those who max the rock gardens, mud holes and sand dunes out. Having said that, I'll probably end up with computer driven 4x4 with air suspension and electronic lockers because it will meet my personal needs. Technology like this in guns will do the same in some way. There will be good and bad about it practically. But it's the politics and market reactions that will destroy our options and that's what's really bad.

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Fri May 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Cleon wrote:
That's stupid.

I still wouldn't buy one though. They lost me at "electronic chip". More and more, I'm loving wheel guns.
I've got to add, because of my previous post of joy when I heard that he's dropping the idea due to the pragmatic realities of our politics today. I'm really troubled by the "gun rights" crown in general. This video is a case in point. On one hand some gun guys are threatening the life of this dealer and then this dealer passes the buck of violence from him to politicians. It's all very uncivilized. Unhinged. People are talking about out and out murder here. I'm rather uncomfortable about any of these folks having guns at all. Once again, it goes to my distinction between being a member of the responsible citizen militia vs being a militant. There's an awful lot of militants in the guns rights crowd these days.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Fri May 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Cleon wrote:
That's stupid.

I've got to add, because of my previous post of joy when I heard that he's dropping the idea due to the pragmatic realities of our politics today. I'm really troubled by the "gun rights" crown in general. This video is a case in point. On one hand some gun guys are threatening the life of this dealer and then this dealer passes the buck of violence from him to politicians. It's all very uncivilized. Unhinged. People are talking about out and out murder here. I'm rather uncomfortable about any of these folks having guns at all. Once again, it goes to my distinction between being a member of the responsible citizen militia vs being a militant. There's an awful lot of militants in the guns rights crowd these days.
I find this trend disturbing as well. As an NRA and BSA shotgun instructor, and applicant for the Hunter Safety Instructor card, I read a couple of shooting forums in order to stay current and learn new techniques. I was invited by a fellow who I met on a Peace Officer's forum to write in a California state gun owner's forum and found not a few, very vocal participants are total lunatics (and a significant number of these, oddly enough, are women!) 8O
"What doesn't kill you, gives you a lot of unhealthy coping mechanisms and a really dark sense of humor."

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Tue May 20, 2014 5:37 pm

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue May 20, 2014 6:52 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm

"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Tue May 20, 2014 7:23 pm

I like guns.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Tue May 20, 2014 8:03 pm

fiddlestix bought a metal lathe.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Wed May 21, 2014 1:10 pm

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Wed May 21, 2014 1:12 pm

coco wrote:Image

I like guns.

coco likes gadgets.

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 pm

hogleg wrote:fiddlestix bought a metal lathe.
Just cranked these out on my lunch break. Lathe worked pretty well. :lol:

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:48 pm

coco wrote:Image
That's the Gangsta Assault version. Note the sites so it can be held parallel to the ground while firing.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:49 pm

fiddlestix wrote:
hogleg wrote:fiddlestix bought a metal lathe.
Just cranked these out on my lunch break. Lathe worked pretty well. :lol:

You're just trying to corner the hip hop market.
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Fri May 23, 2014 9:19 am

hogleg

Post by hogleg » Fri May 23, 2014 10:15 am

I ask my anti-gun friends and family why they don't put a "no guns here" on their door or in their yards. I've even offered to have signs professionally made for them. Not one has taken me up on the offer.