The Philosophy Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

The Philosophy Thread

Post by infidel » Thu May 08, 2014 11:47 am

Stumbled upon an interesting article that I could just barely keep up with, but I thought some of you might find it interesting...

http://aeon.co/magazine/world-views/log ... hilosophy/
Western philosophers have not, on the whole, regarded Buddhist thought with much enthusiasm. As a colleague once said to me: ‘It’s all just mysticism.’ This attitude is due, in part, to ignorance. But it is also due to incomprehension. When Western philosophers look East, they find things they do not understand – not least the fact that the Asian traditions seem to accept, and even endorse, contradictions. Thus we find the great second-century Buddhist philosopher Nagarjuna saying:
The nature of things is to have no nature; it is their non-nature that is their nature. For they have only one nature: no-nature.
An abhorrence of contradiction has been high orthodoxy in the West for more than 2,000 years. Statements such as Nagarjuna’s are therefore wont to produce looks of blank incomprehension, or worse. As Avicenna, the father of Medieval Aristotelianism, declared:
Anyone who denies the law of non-contradiction should be beaten and burned until he admits that to be beaten is not the same as not to be beaten, and to be burned is not the same as not to be burned.
One can hear similar sentiments, expressed with comparable ferocity, in many faculty common rooms today. Yet Western philosophers are slowly learning to outgrow their parochialism. And help is coming from a most unexpected direction: modern mathematical logic, not a field that is renowned for its tolerance of obscurity.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip

SmokinGordon
Eternal Newbie (On a 12 Step Program from Overusing the Quote Function)

Re: The Philosophy Thread

Post by SmokinGordon » Thu May 08, 2014 1:34 pm

infidel wrote:Stumbled upon an interesting article that I could just barely keep up with, but I thought some of you might find it interesting...

Western philosophers have not, on the whole, regarded Buddhist thought with much enthusiasm. As a colleague once said to me: ‘It’s all just mysticism.’ This attitude is due, in part, to ignorance. But it is also due to incomprehension. When Western philosophers look East, they find things they do not understand – not least the fact that the Asian traditions seem to accept, and even endorse, contradictions. Thus we find the great second-century Buddhist philosopher Nagarjuna saying:
The nature of things is to have no nature; it is their non-nature that is their nature. For they have only one nature: no-nature.
An abhorrence of contradiction has been high orthodoxy in the West for more than 2,000 years. Statements such as Nagarjuna’s are therefore wont to produce looks of blank incomprehension, or worse. As Avicenna, the father of Medieval Aristotelianism, declared:
Anyone who denies the law of non-contradiction should be beaten and burned until he admits that to be beaten is not the same as not to be beaten, and to be burned is not the same as not to be burned.
One can hear similar sentiments, expressed with comparable ferocity, in many faculty common rooms today. Yet Western philosophers are slowly learning to outgrow their parochialism. And help is coming from a most unexpected direction: modern mathematical logic, not a field that is renowned for its tolerance of obscurity.
Heck, if I put my mind, or no mind to it, or not to it, I could sound, or not sound, brilliant, or not brilliant too! :egor:
When I grow up, I want to look like Mrs. Coco's grandpa. :D
Del: "If I only wanted to smoke it once in awhile, I'd just buy a cigar"

Cleon
Walmart Cargo Short Model
Walmart Cargo Short Model

Post by Cleon » Thu May 08, 2014 2:54 pm

Interesting read. Thanks.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

DepartedLight
Archfairy of Carolinia
Archfairy of Carolinia

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 08, 2014 4:17 pm

Should I raise one finger or cut the cat in half?
DL Jake

Don't you mean Mac Blowtorch? - Jocose

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Thu May 08, 2014 5:13 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Should I raise one finger or cut the cat in half?
Yes.

SmokinGordon

Post by SmokinGordon » Thu May 08, 2014 5:14 pm

SmokinGordon wrote:
infidel wrote:Stumbled upon an interesting article that I could just barely keep up with, but I thought some of you might find it interesting...

Heck, if I put my mind, or no mind to it, or not to it, I could sound, or not sound, brilliant, or not brilliant too! :egor:
Or not.

wosbald
Lonergan Fan Club President

Post by wosbald » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:56 am

+JMJ+

(HINT: Zoom-In screen rather than click on image)

———————————————————————————————————————————

History of Philosophy Chart (Western)

History of Eastern Philosophy Chart

Comprehensive History of Philosophy Chart

Last edited by wosbald on Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

"[T]he emergency of irregular migration has to be met with justice, solidarity and mercy. Forms of collective expulsion, which do not allow for the suitable treatment of individual cases, are unacceptable."
— Pope Francis, Morocco

Del
Sneaky Snusser
Sneaky Snusser

Post by Del » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 am

I should encourage Pipeson to return for this thread.

He is reading the Dialogues of Socrates (collected by Plato) now. Last night, he was excited by the Dialogue with Theaetetus, in which they discuss the nature of a definition.

I am looking forward to reading the dialogues. But first, I have to finish Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy.

These are not difficult to read! Pipeson read them in high school. He is reading them again, because they are both good and fun. And now he has me reading them.
G.K. Chesterton — 'It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged.'

Rooster
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rooster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Rooster
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Rooster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:11 pm

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:56 am

+JMJ+

I've been saying for quite a while (and, yes, this was a rather ubiquitous observation on my part) that Postmodernism has cleared the field for a return to Realism.

Here are some, IMO, exciting developments from the founding voices of the "New Realism".

————————————————————————————————————————————

Maurizio Ferraris (Note his key concept of moral "Unamendability")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmVtkGXwF_I

Markus Gabriel (Note his key concept of "Fields of Sense")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLNN5scWCtA

Based on my very tentative, initial impressions, it seems relatively safe to say that those whose dispositions lean towards a more analytic, logical Aristotelian framework will probably preference Ferraris whilst those (like myself) who are disposed to a more synthetic, intuitive Platonic skien will gravitate towards Gabriel. But, of course, both of their perspectives have indispensable value and worth to contribute to the plurivocal cause of Realism.

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:13 pm

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." -Mark Twain

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:02 am

+JMJ+

On the Ashes of Post-Modernism: A New Realism. A Conference with Umberto Eco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZnwpW3OEZo

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:44 am

+JMJ+

Why the world does not exist | Markus Gabriel | TEDxMünchen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzvesGB_TI0

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

Jocose
a very large Chinese lizard man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:22 pm

https://youtu.be/b6YSfEKMeC8
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:25 am

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"This thread makes me sad." ~ SlowToke

"The yutz is silly Jocose. I have him foed yet still have to view his stupid and annoying thread titles." ~ Goose55

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:33 pm

+JMJ+

Prospects for a New Realism — Markus Gabriel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUuwXcntL5A

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 am

+JMJ+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJBbzmlSaxU

ImageImage

— Pope Francis, Morocco

infidel
kthxbai
kthxbai

Post by infidel » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:18 pm

Is atomic theory the most important idea in human history?
The greatest physicist of the second half of the 20th century, Richard Feynman, wrote at the beginning of his wonderful introductory lectures on physics:
If, in some cataclysm, all scientific knowledge were to be destroyed, and only one sentence passed on to the next generation of creatures, what statement would contain the most information in the fewest words? I believe it is the atomic hypothesis, or the atomic fact, or whatever you wish to call it, that all things are made of atoms – little particles that move around in perpetual motion, attracting each other when they are a little distance apart, but repelling upon being squeezed into one another. In that one sentence you will see an enormous amount of information about the world, if just a little imagination and thinking are applied.
Inadvertently emboldening the cause of naïve Evolutionism since 2016.

"Who the hell ponders placentas? Dude, you're a freak of nature." - DepartedLight

"One man's saint is another man's infidel." - hugodrax

"Total. Freaking. Win." - Skip