CPS Running Club

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Re: CPS Running Club

Post by John-Boy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:31 am
Nice, JB. How are your knees and feet feeling?
They're good. I've gained a few pounds since the race this summer. Just did 2.5 on the road this afternoon. Still working on getting back to consistency.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 am

John-Boy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 pm
Cleon wrote:
They're good. I've gained a few pounds since the race this summer. Just did 2.5 on the road this afternoon. Still working on getting back to consistency.
Me too with the lbs. IT's good weight though. I was losing a lot of strength.

I've started to wrap my knees and I bought a new pair of shoes, but I haven't been on a jog in, oh, about a month maybe. It's just too cold and I can't do treadmill work 'cause it's too boring. I need to man up and find some good cold weather gear and hit the road. The beard is a good start.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:47 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:06 am
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:43 pm
Cleon wrote:
Me too with the lbs. IT's good weight though. I was losing a lot of strength.

I've started to wrap my knees and I bought a new pair of shoes, but I haven't been on a jog in, oh, about a month maybe. It's just too cold and I can't do treadmill work 'cause it's too boring. I need to man up and find some good cold weather gear and hit the road. The beard is a good start.
I've done a lot more treadmill running the last couple years. I don't mind it for runs less than 45 minutes - and it's easy to decide to run on the treadmill if it's cold, or hot, or rainy, or whatever outside... but then I've found myself fighting with excuses instead of just getting out no matter what. I ran in the rain the other night - it was great.
Praying - coco
And when I am sitting on my new saddle, I will know that my weight is resting upon the collective minds of CPS - GaryinVa

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:54 pm

2.8 on the road last night. Chilly. I wore pants.

Kids have their sights set on some spring races... time to buckle down. Speaking of buckles... I need to lose 20 pounds too.
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:24 am

1.5 miles on the road this morning. Oof. I'm too old to take 2 weeks off. Starting over again.
Praying - coco

Goose55
Bartleby the Scrivener
Bartleby the Scrivener

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 am

Don't run. It's bad for your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone. Bicycling is far far better.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
A Complete Kneebiter
A Complete Kneebiter

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:50 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 am
Don't run. It's bad for your knees. You'll miss them when they're gone. Bicycling is far far better.
That sets a high bar for the rest of they year. Right out of the gate, too. I’m expecting great things.
I am also of the opinion that the Jesuits should be suppressed.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:00 am

Goose55 wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:27 am
As a rule, that's not true. Reference the links I posted last time you said that.

But in the end, I guess whatever exercise keeps you moving is what's best. Everybody's body is different. Some folks can't run. Some folks can't sit in the saddle for a bike ride. Etc. Cycling is a great activity. I like it a lot. Much better to encourage people to exercise than to discourage them.
Praying - coco

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:02 am

For a refresher:
John-Boy wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:25 am
Goose55 wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:36 pm
Don't run. It's too high an impact exercise that's very bad for your knees. Bicycle, instead.

Believe me, you'll miss your healthy knees someday.
I thought this comment had to come from a sock puppet. 8O
http://www.everydayhealth.com/news/what-joint-docs-say-about-running/ wrote:The idea that running is bad for your knees is a popular fitness myth, according to many doctors and surgeons who are experts in joint health.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/does-running-damage-your-knees#1 wrote:"Running doesn't hurt your knees... if you do it correctly," says Mindy Solkin, an ACE-certified personal trainer and the founder, owner and head coach of The Running Center in New York City. That may sound like a bold statement, but research backs it up. A multi-year study of almost 75,000 runners published in July 2013 found that, contrary to popular belief, running does not increase the risk of developing osteoarthritis. In fact, runners in the study were found to be in less jeopardy of arthritis than their non-active counterparts.
http://www.npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees wrote:Yes, it's true: Jogging, long thought to hurt knees with all that pounding and rattling around, may actually be beneficial for the complex and critical joint.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article132744019.html wrote:The researchers did find that sitting made knees more vulnerable, instead of protecting them from degeneration. Previous studies have also suggested running could actually be beneficial for your knees. Some scientists believe that because runners generally weigh less than non-runners, running can reduce your risk of knee arthritis because they have less weight to carry.
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/end ... your-knees
http://www.livescience.com/36241-5-expe ... knees.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-scien ... your-knees
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/18/well ... .html?_r=0
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27699484
http://www.livestrong.com/article/53284 ... cartilage/
http://acpjc.acponline.org/Content/119/ ... -2-057.htm
http://www.colorado.edu/intphys/Class/I ... g/lane.pdf
http://jaoa.org/Article.aspx?articleid=2093294
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2556152/
Praying - coco

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:25 pm

John-Boy wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:24 am
1.5 miles on the road this morning. Oof. I'm too old to take 2 weeks off. Starting over again.
+1

It's been since before Thanksgiving for me. Did 2.5k on Saturday and Monday at a snail's pace. Will do the same this evening. Burning quads!!! It feels like I'm almost totally deconditioned. You'd think it wouldn't hurt that bad since I've been front squatting a whole lot over the last couple months.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm

Just finished 1.85 miles on the road with my wife. It was easier, but still harder than it should have been.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Cleon wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:45 pm
Just finished 1.85 miles on the road with my wife. It was easier, but still harder than it should have been.
Again. Will be 2 miles next time, working to 5k as a benchmark.

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Tomorrow is the official first day of training for the marathon I'll be running at the end of April. Wish me luck!

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:57 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm
Tomorrow is the official first day of training for the marathon I'll be running at the end of April. Wish me luck!
Nice!
Praying - coco

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am

TNLawPiper wrote:
Keep us updated on your training. You are going to be eating A LOT.

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
Keep us updated on your training. You are going to be eating A LOT.
I got in four miles on Saturday. Yesterday was a strength and conditioning class with a fair amount of running, but none in sustained, flat running. My biggest issue will be getting out every day and putting in the mileage, but I know it’s necessary.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:13 pm

Did 2.1 on the road this afternoon with 3-dot, dodging slush puddles. Took last week off - for no good reason.
Praying - coco

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Took last week off because of the snow. Will probably not run at all this week because of conferences and travel. It's too bad because I do feel better when I get a little jogging in.

John-Boy

Post by John-Boy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:04 pm
Took last week off because of the snow. Will probably not run at all this week because of conferences and travel. It's too bad because I do feel better when I get a little jogging in.
Yeah, for sure. It's a major boost to my mood.

Can you run on a treadmill at the hotel?
Praying - coco

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 pm

No treadmill. Too boring.

I still can't get up the gumption to go jogging...the single digit temps don't help. I've gained darn near 30 lbs of weight, which was intentional, but I really miss the endurance that comes with cardio training. At my age, I don't think it's possible to lift heavy and do any amount of cardio work that would have a positive affect on my heart and endurance. I'm going to have to find a balance...next month. After it warms up. :lol: