CPS Running Club

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Re: CPS Running Club

Post by Cleon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 am
Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:33 am
TNLawPiper wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:41 pm
Tomorrow is the official first day of training for the marathon I'll be running at the end of April. Wish me luck!
Keep us updated on your training. You are going to be eating A LOT.
I got in four miles on Saturday. Yesterday was a strength and conditioning class with a fair amount of running, but none in sustained, flat running. My biggest issue will be getting out every day and putting in the mileage, but I know it’s necessary.
Updates man, updates. I will live vicariously through you.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:31 pm

Cleon wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 pm
TNLawPiper wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Tomorrow is the official first day of training for the marathon I'll be running at the end of April. Wish me luck!
I got in four miles on Saturday. Yesterday was a strength and conditioning class with a fair amount of running, but none in sustained, flat running. My biggest issue will be getting out every day and putting in the mileage, but I know it’s necessary.
I put in eight miles today with a good bit of hills. I was rather sore by the end. I need to be more diligent about my daily homework.

Were you a runner? What made you stop?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:32 pm

Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
I put in eight miles today with a good bit of hills. I was rather sore by the end. I need to be more diligent about my daily homework.

"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

"Other vessels will work, but the idealality of the Spam can cannot be contested." ~ JimVH

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:25 am

Jocose wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:32 pm
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

High Jokuse!!!!!!!!

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 am

Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

I only jog because my wife likes it and it's good for me.
I am proud of TNLP.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

TNLawPiper

Post by TNLawPiper » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Cleon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:29 am
Jocose wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:
Cleon wrote:
TNLawPiper wrote:

I only jog because my wife likes it and it's good for me.
I am proud of TNLP.
I don’t like running, either. I like playing sports. I also like listening to music, being in nature, and eating with my friends afterward. My running group does these things. Ergo, I ran 20 miles on Saturday.

Cleon
The Mad Hatter
The Mad Hatter

Post by Cleon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 am

^^^^ Seriously impressive, TNLP.

I've got a 3X per week routine going now with an emphasis more on intensity. I seem to do better when I do interval type training - sprints mixed with jogging. I find that I focus more on the task at hand when I do that and the sessions are shorter. All the better for me.

Stanley76
Son of a Goose
Son of a Goose

Post by Stanley76 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:37 am

You guys are seriously impressive. I used to run back in the late nineties but I got lazy and stopped working out.

In February of 2015 I got seriously ill with pneumonia and it took me four months to get over it. That November I had a lung function test and bronchoscopy and the doctor said my lung function was fine but I weighed 340 lbs. So I started weight training, walking and then jogging in 2015-2016 and dropped a LOT of weight, from 340 down to 265. I felt great. Then certain life events happened and I stopped jogging for a while in November 2016. Then I got lazy, started eating the wrong food and BOOM, next thing I knew I had gained 30 pounds. I started walking again in June of 2017 and got a skin infection on my feet. Quit again until my HCP put me on a beta blocker for high blood pressure. That poison almost killed me, so I switched to a real doctor had several CAT scans and check ups and as of September of last year I was back up to 332 lbs.

I started walking on the road for an hour a day in October. Not speed walking, but not ambling either, just a normal walk and I started eating healthy again. Last check up on January 29 I weighed 311 and my A1C was 6.1 which is pre-diabetic without meds and my blood pressure was normal without meds. I am back going to the gym due to the deer flies and yellow flies now and am just walking on the treadmill. Today I walked 3.5 miles in less than an hour. I weighed 301. I am going to keep it up. I'm 64, so my plan is to not jog but to just keep raising the incline on the treadmill this go around. Exercise and a healthy diet is vital if I want to feel halfway good in my old age.
"'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

ChildOfGod
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl
What's-his-name - President: Devo Fan Club Intl

Post by ChildOfGod » Fri May 24, 2019 2:49 pm

Any of you guys on Zwift? Strava?

I've been putting in 2 10K's and one longer run up to 9 miles on Saturday, most weeks.

Planning on a 9 miler tomorrow morning.

In between running days I cycle about 20 miles per day. The alternation of running and cycling seems to work well for me - not "too much" impact but enough cardio to keep off the 100 lbs I've lost since 2015.

Been dealing with a sort of ITBS issue this past year. Did a 100 mile bike ride last September, the last 20 miles of which felt like someone was sticking a screw driver into my knee. Funny, but running soon after didn't bother me at all. Been doing a lot of foam rolling and stretching and glute strengthening to combat it. Seems to be improving slowly.

Ran a local 5K race last weekend and won for my age group. Also came in last for my age group ;)