Whiskey

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Re: Whiskey

Post by JimVH » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:04 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:Do you fellows buy into the premise that each man is either a bourbon drinker or a scotch drinker?
Perhaps not 100% either way, but largely prefers one and tolerates the other?
I used to be a scotch guy only, but I've mellowed. I've even had some sissy hooch that ain't bad lately.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:15 am

JudgeRusty wrote:Do you fellows buy into the premise that each man is either a bourbon drinker or a scotch drinker?
For me, I kept leaning towards Oak Scotch. Bourbon has that in spades. So I've pretty much stopped investigating Scotch and am looking at various American Whisky in the Bourbon family. I'm have the same Rye in the OP right now with some Dunhill Light Flake in my favorite VA flake pipe.

'murica!

Edit in:

When you buy Small Batch American Whiskey you are contributing to businesses that have been in the USA before it was the USA; Colonists. Therefore, every drop of American Whiskey you sip in the fashion you decide, know this: Morley most likely loathes the action.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:31 am

I tend towards scotch as I love the smokiness some have (the ones I tend to drink anyway.) Though there a few bourbons I really like as well. As with pipes, I say, smoke/drink what you like...naysayers be damned.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:37 am

JMG wrote:
I tend towards scotch as I love the smokiness some have (the ones I tend to drink anyway.) Though there a few bourbons I really like as well. As with pipes, I say, smoke/drink what you like...naysayers be damned.
yo JMG, The Awesome Tamper Maker (kindov like Rodger The Shrubber), do you like the Laphroaig pallet?
DL Jake

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:38 am

JMG wrote:
yo JMG, The Awesome Tamper Maker (kindov like Rodger The Shrubber), do you like the Laphroaig pallet?
DL Jake

JMG

Post by JMG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:44 am

DepartedLight wrote:
JMG wrote:
If I am buying then I go for Lagavulin, but Laphroaing ain't too shabby.

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 am

JMG wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
JMG wrote:
yer a peat guy then?
DL Jake

JMG

Post by JMG » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:58 am

DepartedLight wrote:
JMG wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
JMG wrote:
yer a peat guy then?
Yep. Take out the fire, leave in the smoke.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:01 am

DepartedLight wrote:When you buy Small Batch American Whiskey you are contributing to businesses that have been in the USA before it was the USA; Colonists. Therefore, every drop of American Whiskey you sip in the fashion you decide, know this: Morley most likely loathes the action.
You don't pay attention to a goddman thing I say, do you? That, or you're just as much of a fumbling simpleton with a faulty memory as the rest of the plebeian stock you come of.

I drink bourbon all of the time. Bourbon whiskey is, far and away, my favorite style of whiskey. Rye is a far second. I don't like Scotch and I'm tired of people assuming that I do... which reminds me of another thing.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:04 am

A_Morley wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:When you buy Small Batch American Whiskey you are contributing to businesses that have been in the USA before it was the USA; Colonists. Therefore, every drop of American Whiskey you sip in the fashion you decide, know this: Morley most likely loathes the action.
You don't pay attention to a goddman thing I say, do you? That, or you're just as much of a fumbling simpleton with a faulty memory as the rest of the plebeian stock you come of.

I drink bourbon all of the time. Bourbon whiskey is, far and away, my favorite style of whiskey. Rye is a far second. I don't like Scotch and I'm tired of people assuming that I do... which reminds me of another thing.
I know you enjoy a particular Bourbon from Oregon, my apologies as the brand escapes me for the moment.

How do you reconcile your dislike for US colonial progression and Bourbon? The two are so directly connected, I can't imagine that you are not conflicted.
DL Jake

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:30 am

DepartedLight wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

I know you enjoy a particular Bourbon from Oregon, my apologies as the brand escapes me for the moment.

How do you reconcile your dislike for US colonial progression and Bourbon? The two are so directly connected, I can't imagine that you are not conflicted.
Bourbon cannot be made in Oregon. Bourbon can only be made in a particular region of Kentucky.

And I don't see how I can't think that bourbon whiskey is delicious while also thinking that moronic backwoodsmen are unfit to govern themselves. It haven't felt conflicted about it thus far.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:40 am

A_Morley wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:
A_Morley wrote:

Bourbon cannot be made in Oregon. Bourbon can only be made in a particular region of Kentucky.

And I don't see how I can't think that bourbon whiskey is delicious while also thinking that moronic backwoodsmen are unfit to govern themselves. It haven't felt conflicted about it thus far.
Oh no, sir. You are mistaken. Bourbon must be made in America, not just Kentucky. American Bourbon ties it's first roots to western Pennsylvania. Kentucky is the only state in the uni*n that allows the State name to be used in Bourbon labeling. While it is true that famous Bourbon history is deeply rooted in the area that is now the Common Wealth of Kentucky, at the time of of the famous events the area was the Common Wealth of Virginia.
US Code: Title 27 → Chapter I → Subchapter A → Part 5 → Subpart C → §5.22 wrote:
§5.22 The standards of identity.

(1)(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers;
Please note there is no reference to Bourbon being geographically centered other than the jurisdiction of US Code.
DL Jake

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 am

I'm just happy to see yet another CPSer that prefers bourbon and rye whiskey over Scotch.
Last edited by Thunktank on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:15 am

Wrong thread.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:46 am

The point of my question was this:

I prefer Scotch. Over the years, I was introduced a drink at a time to some better scotches. Now, I would like to have an occasional drink or two in some evenings, but I realized that popular good scotches at near $50 per fifth equals about $4 per serving. Popular "good" Ryes and Bourbons are available in the $25 per fifth price. I was hoping that there were "bourbons for scotch drinkers" or some other tactic for making the conversion based only on economic reasons.

As to Bourbon, Knob Creek is the best of the few I have tried. Although, I have never tried any of the Buffalo Trace products. The only Ryes I have had are Canadians and those were years ago and usually in mixed drinks.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:31 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
The point of my question was this:

I prefer Scotch. Over the years, I was introduced a drink at a time to some better scotches. Now, I would like to have an occasional drink or two in some evenings, but I realized that popular good scotches at near $50 per fifth equals about $4 per serving. Popular "good" Ryes and Bourbons are available in the $25 per fifth price. I was hoping that there were "bourbons for scotch drinkers" or some other tactic for making the conversion based only on economic reasons.

As to Bourbon, Knob Creek is the best of the few I have tried. Although, I have never tried any of the Buffalo Trace products. The only Ryes I have had are Canadians and those were years ago and usually in mixed drinks.
I find Knob Creek to be very peppery with a solid, bold, spicy, finish. Buffalo Trace isn't as strong of a finisher. I like them both. And on price point, Buffalo is hard to beat.

And yeah, you can get 2 bottles of fair to above average Bourbon or Rye to a single meh bottle of Scotch, that's for sure.
DL Jake

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:12 am

Tried this for the first time last night. This is really good.

#EnjoyingTheRyeExperiment
DL Jake

JMG

Post by JMG » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:15 am

DepartedLight wrote:Image

This is really.
+1

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Tried this for the first time last night. This is really good.

#EnjoyingTheRyeExperiment

This may be my next purchase.

I do not know how other states do it, but in Alabama, all alcohol is distributed through the Alcohol Beverage Control board. The have ABC stores, commonly referred to as "State" stores and usually are cheaper than other locations as they are in effect the middle man. I did a search and found out you can check their prices online here: http://www.abcboard.state.al.us/PDFs/ABCBoardPrices.pdf Prices begin on page 27 of the pdf if you are interested.

Bulleit Rye is $29 per fifth.
Laphroaig is $50 per fifth.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:16 pm

JMG wrote:

This is really.
+1
For you Rye drinkers, how do you prefer it?

neat?

little water?

Ice?

cocktail?